• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

✧ Rockin' Around ~ The Rock-type Fan Club ✧

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Username: Narnia
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Aerodactyl
(Optional) Partner(s) Nickname(s): Doug

What strikes you about Rock-types?

It all started back when I was eight. I had been looking through the latest Pokedex, eagerly planning my six monstrous machines that would get me through the game. My eyes fell on things such as Burmy and immediately cancelled them out. I didn't want a team full of cutiepies and weak-attacking bugs, I wanted more. I wanted the ultimate definition of badassery. My eyes fell on the fire-types and immediately a kung fu monkey that looked like an incarnation of Bruce Lee, stole the first slot. Then came a fluffy bird that could shoot flamethrowers, followed by electrial lions, intimidating birds and a ball of rock. I had done it. Mission accomplished. Except not really. I scrapped that team within minutes.

Attempt number two started with a penguin, a bird, a dragon and apparently a beaver-like thing. That also got scrapped. I wanted the legendaries (being eight I just wanted the most powerful things I could get my hands on) but I'd have to get through the whole game first. The third try was me and spaghetti-like things that could wrap vines around your feet, dragonflies and a modern day yeti. Then I realised they were all far too late to get in the game. At the same time, I never paid attention to the type that I would soon love. While most of them had the look of something that had just been through a war, I didn't want them getting beaten by bubble blowing penguins and I generally regarded them as a type with way too many weaknesses.

So why would I sign up to a club like this? Just like the old fairytales you read in bed on a school night or just like any good Harry Potter story, it had a happy ending. I was reluctant but I tried to fit one of these Pokemon on my team. I enjoyed every second of using them and I realised that most of their dual-typings can give them useful resistances and immunities. I've always tried to fit one on my competitive and in-game team. They aren't all slow, they've got huge defenses while also not being sitting ducks. They support the team, are the general tanks that can also pull off heavy damage and are a threat to anything that even tries to stand in their way. As for the ultimate mission in 'badassery', let's just say that I took a liking to cuter things later on.

Why did you choose the partner Pokemon(s) you currently own?

Mainly because it's the one I've enjoyed using the most! Rock-types are generally categorized as slow attackers on the defensive side, but Aerodactyl just turns that upside down on its head. It's unbelievably fast with good attack moves to support it and plus, there's no Defeatist ability to hinder it. With access to much more useful moves, speed and the ability to run all sorts of sets, Aerodactyl can be a fun and unpredictable Pokemon to work with! Plus dinosaurs. Flying dinosaurs for god's sake. How much cooler can you get?

What rock-types do you think are overrated and underrated? Why?

Onix is definitely underrated. I've always personally liked it, it's a rock snake tunneling underground at mach speed. It was your first real challenge in the first generation (especially for people with Yellow) and overall it hasn't exactly gotten much love over the years. However I'm just gonna say rock types are underrated as a whole. With so many weaknesses, fans shower negativity on it rather than looking on the bright side. They can fight just like anything else, have access to some of the strongest moves in the game that work well with their abilities (i.e Rock Head + Head Smash). People also say that they're 'too slow'. That's not true. We have Aerodactyl and Archeops flying around at the speed of sound.

Overrated rock-types? Arguably Aggron. I've never liked the Pokemon itself with its menacing face and while I can understand what people see in it, its never stood out to me. One Grass Knot or a super effective move and it's good as gone. You have to weigh up between two abilities and that loses a lot of benefit from this powerhouse. Plus it'll almost always go last so the opponent can get a quick hit on it and finish it off. Rock Polish can fix that, but it wastes a moveslot + turn. I'm not convinced that Aggron is the next legendary but that's just my opinion. Everything else is way too underrated. ):

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The Golem picture at the top is terrifying help :(

Spoiler:
Hiya, welcome to the club! :D This story is really cool but I just have to ask - which was the Rock-type to finally get you to give them a try? 100% betting it's the badass Aggron, that'd turn anyone.

Hmm, over-rated Rock-types are hard to come by I'd say. It'd very rare that a Rock-type gets huge attention for being an incredible Pokémon which is a big shame. I think I'd have to say Shuckle if anything - I'm aware that not many people think it's badass any more but it used to be an incredibly hyped-up Pokémon back in the day with his capabilities of gaining huge base offensive stats in a Trick Room scenario and then dominating with Rollout. I'm not sure what happened to the poor thing to make it so rarely seen now but I'm sure it was deserved or a load of counters came up, but I think Shuckle was certainly very over-rated at the time for a tiny piece of moss stuck to a rock.

And as for under-rated Rock-types? I'd say 90% of them! But I think my star mention here is Relicanth. It may just seem like a slightly worse version of Kabutops and Omastar but when you give it a chance and get it set up with Rock Polish or you bulk up his already impressive bulk you can find a real killer within him. A Rock Head using Rock-typed Head Smash Pokémon with Relicanth's Attack will cause a heck of a lot of damage with not too much risk to himself. It's a big shame about the awful typing but I wouldn't want to see it as anything else - it's always been a favourite Pokémon of mine and I'd love to see the little curious beauty get some more attention. Has anyone here tried using one before?

relicanth.jpg

Years
Welcome to the club, Sophie :)

Wanted to note that an event will be starting in roughly a weeks time and one or two promotions in the coming days~

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I ended up using a Cranidos that I had found underground after a few hours of digging. I decided to use it because dinosaurs! It seemed a much better option then using beavers and monkeys. It head smashed and cruised through the entire game. While its speed was rather hard to cope with, Rock Polish solved that immediately. Afterwards I was tearing through everything in my sight and Rampardos remains a true favourite. I've also used Aerodactyl in Diamond who proved to be equally effective. :D

To answer Ozzy's question, I've never used one. Mainly because I didn't take interest in the fish until I realised Armaldos didn't have the punch that I expected. With access to rather poor moves until a rather high level, I started looking around for better-rock types. Although honestly Relicanth never crossed my mind. It has poor speed but as you mentioned, that can be fixed pretty quickly. With Rock Head, it can just smash through anything without having to worry about recoil. A fossil fish doesn't sound half bad actually, much more appealing than coral. I might try it when I have the chance though. :D

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
What is your favorite rock-type evolution line and why?
I love the Aron line because I can obtain it early. I've used one in plenty of RSE playthroughs. While the Larvitar family is a powerhouse and has a great design, I can't obtain one until late game. Both species are appealing to me because they're chubby dinosaurs. :D

Corsola is underrated, at least in GSC. It has access to Earthquake, Psychic, Recover, Surf, Ice Beam, Mirror Coat, AncientPower, uhh. I could never make up my mind on what I wanted to teach my Corsola. I liked using one, anyways. It has a horrible typing, but I find it cute and somewhat useful. c:

As for overrated, Archeops comes to my mind, too. It's only a threat when healthy. Its ability cripples it; you're taking quite the gamble when using one. Though to be fair, I did have to use +6 Def Whimsicott to survive one Acrobatics during the battle against Ghetsis, lol.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Username: Slayr231
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Cradily and Gigalith
(Optional) Partner(s) Nickname(s): N/A
What strikes you about Rock-types: They just seem like a cool type. They have some pretty powerful hitters and Gigalith was my first shiny, so the nostalgia value holds over.

I think Terrakoin is a little overrated. It might be just me, but I never really had a problem taking it down. As for the underrated side, Cradily is really overlooked. There isn't a single pokemon, for me, that has forced more rage-quits. With curse, Cradily can be nearly unstoppable after it gets up and running (I guess it's walking with THAT speed).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Unfortunately Pave Low has left the forum so this club will be closed; sorry guys - anyone feel free to remake it! :)

Closed~

OmrJ2Ps.png

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Reopen! Because this club - wait for it - rocks. Ahahahahah, oh god. I'm too funny.

(The owner's back on PC so let's all fangirl over these big scary Rock-types again, yay!)

Years
I will update the thread with new sign-ups and a new topic tomorrow. For now, any newcomers can answer the current topic and I hope that people get signing-up :3

NEW TOPIC:
What is your favorite rock-type move and why?

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I think my favorite rock type move is Rock-Slide.

It's the rock type move of choice for my Cradily. It might be less powerful than Stone Edge, but the increased accuracy really makes up for it. The added flinch boost makes it really awesome when it does activate, but Cradily is really slow, so that doesn't happen too often.

Another move I really like is Rock Polish. It helps buffer out those speed disadvantages and makes some rock types really powerful.

Years
Username: Cirno
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Cranidos!
What strikes you about Rock-types: Their good attack and defense stats make them great tankers, plus a lot of them have pretty great secondary types. Rock/water, rock/grass, rock/steel, rock/bug.. too many!

What is your favorite rock-type evolution line and why?
I've always been a huge fan of Aron and its evolutionary line because of how useful the little guy was for me in Sapphire. Even though I was a bit silly and taught it mostly special attacking it moves, it proved to be really useful and made it onto my team in other games.

Buut I'm also a huge Cranidos and Rampardos fan even though I've never really used them. Awesome designs!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

I'm not really sure. Rock-type moves have the most badass names. I mean look at the list- Head Smash, Rock Wrecker, Rock Slide, Ancient Power, how cool does that sound? Wouldn't you want one of those moves on your Pokemon? If I had to choose out of all of them, it'd be a tie between Head Smash and Ancient Power. Head Smash just wrecks everything in its path. While there's a downside with recoil, it's still handy to have. Definitely has saved me from some unpleasant situations! Ancient Power has a great secondary effect. Raising all of your stats in battle? Heck yes. Also the move's name makes it sound like you're summoning a god or something. Badass. :]

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I also agree that most of the rock moves sound really cool. What's more intimidating? Oh no! That pokemon is using Baby Doll Eyes! vs, Oh no! That pokemon is using Rock Wrecker!

Okay, I might have worded that being a little biased, but my point is still the same.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Username: Wicked3DS
Partner Pokemon:
112.png
139.png

What strikes you about Rock-types: I like how they are physical forces on offense and defense and I like their moves.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
Username: Fitzsy

Partner
185.png

- Boulderberry -

The Fossil Pokémon have always been some of the best-designed and most fun to train in every Generation, and a good chunk of my favorites are all at least partly Rock-Type, so this club seems like a good fit! Plus, there's something undeniably fun about smashing a Charizard with Rock Slide, so I mean hey, like I said, it's a fit!

-----

Onto the current topic, my favorite Rock-Type move has got to be, for now at least, Head Smash. I just bred myself an Aron with the move and a Rock Head ability, so I'm excited to see how devastating the little dude can be! It's just such a... I dunno, this move just looks like it could positively wreck everything!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Username: Zeratul

Partner Pokemon (1 or 2): Golem

(Optional) Partner(s) Nickname(s): Rocky

What strikes you about Rock-types?

Hm... what to say! I've seen many Rock-Types, and there's one thing that strikes me in particular; all of them have particularly good defenses. They're really good in competitive play, and some like Sudowoodo have unusual part typings, which I don't get at all! ;_; There's also when I had my Gen I team. I caught a Geodude, which I really liked, since it's design was fairly amusing, and I wanted to see what it evolved into. Eventually, it did evolve. But it ended up looking like a rocky trash with 4 arms. I was going to deposit it into the PC box, but when my brother told me you could evolve it again by trading. I wasn't expecting it to be something good, but I was wrong. The Golem I had obtained was amazing! It's Defenses were exceptionally high; it's design was near-flawless at that time in my opinion, and it looked really powerful! (I loved powerful Pokémon when I was smaller :3) And that's how I got to like Rock-Types! And as you can tell by the text above and my partner Pokémon, my Golem is my favorite Rock-Type! It's kinda cute and strong at the same time, fortunately! There's also some other great Rock-Types out there such as Aerodactyl and such, which are really cool!

Hmm.... Rock Throw! I don't know why, but I've taken a particular liking to this move. It's probably because when I used it back in FR/LG, it sounded powerful, and it's animation was really wow. I liked how the rocks fell onto the opponent's head :P Otherwise the second favorite would be Rock Blase. It's kinda weak, but I just like it. It's one of those moves that are used just because of the awesome look. :D

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Username: Black Ninetales
Partner Pokemon (1 or 2):
248.png
and
464.png

(Optional) Partner(s) Nickname(s): Tyrant and Bash
What strikes you about Rock-types: Honestly, it was Tyranitar that got me interested in Rock-types. Now, it's because they look super powerful and cool, and the Rock-type moves are just as powerful as you'd expect from looking at the Pokémon who is using it. (well, for most Pokémon)

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I have deleted my old posts and re-added my Rock teams. I have 3 in total now.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years

Probably Ancientpower. I know it doesn't fit a lot of rock-type Pokemon because it's a special move and most of them are physical-based but I found this attack to be really useful for me in the long run, especially on Cradily years back in Sapphire.

Stone Edge and Stealth Rock come in close too, though. The former for being so powerful and the latter for being one of the most useful setup moves in competitive battling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back