• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
1. Is there a way I could make the cyclying road (routes 16,17, and 18) a normal path? In other words, can I remove what makes the player move faster going down and slower going up, but it still be manditory to use the bicycle & keep the orignal tiles used?

As Quilava's Master said, those maps contain blocks that are visibly the same as normal blocks but have unique Behavior Bytes that move the player "downhill". Just change them in the Block Editor.

2. In Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald there are bridges that you can walk on and walk under (Ex. route 119, shoal cave). However, when I try to copy this in Fire Red I come across a few issues:
A) When I use the movement permissions (0, 10, 3C (like in R/S/E)) I'm able to walk across the bridge, but when I go to walk under it, I end up back on top of the bridge.
B) When walking across, I can step off of the bridge to the area below.
Is there a way i can correct this and have it work like the Bridges in R/S/E? Or is it something ony possiable in R/S/E?

A) This is probably because you set "Hero is displayed above block" as the Background Byte for the bridge blocks in AdvanceMap's Block Editor. Change them to '00'. That way, the player will be shown below the bridge if they're on the bottom level and above the bridge if they're on the upper level (as long as the upper level is '10').
B) Can you post a picture of your Movement Permissions? I can't tell you what's wrong without knowing what you did.

3. When I alter one of the pokecenters or pokemarts, it changes ALL of them (Say I remove the Computer in the Viridian City Pokecenter, It is removed from all others as well). Is there a way I can prevent this from happening? I've also noticed this happen to the gate houses on Route 2 leading in and out of Viridian Forest.

Maps that are "linked" in this way share a common halfword at an offset of '0x12' (18) from the start of the Map Header (use Professional Header View). Just change that halfword to a different, unused value to "unlink" a map.

Now, does no one really know what special 0x187 does? Because it's still bothering me, but perhaps I'll never know. XD

I'll take a look at the routine and edit this post later.

EDIT: It looks like it reads the value at '0x0203adfa' and stores that value in LASTRESULT. From what I can tell, the value at that address has something to do with the current mode that the game is in. It's '0x0' normally but it's '0x2' when it's doing the whole "journey's history" thing upon resuming from a save file and '0x3' when it's transitioning from the "journey's history" to the actual gameplay. So, getting back to your original question, it appears that "special 0x187" checks to see if the game is in the "journey's history" phase. If it isn't, it will execute the script. Otherwise, it will end it. This seems to suggest that when resuming from a save file, the game actually runs some of the scripts that the player executed last time they played. Neat, huh?

And as for another question; I've been digging around, once again, and couldn't really find an answer. What makes it so you can or can't run on a map? I've created a new map and found that I'm unable to run in it and I don't know how to alter that setting. Am I missing something obvious?

Whether or not the player can run (along with other actions such as flying, biking, digging, etc.) is dictated by the "(Don't) Show Map Upon Entering" byte in AdvanceMap's Header View. I used to have a document with the permissions for each value but I don't know where it is. If you fool around with some of the values, however, I'm sure you can find one that works. Or you could just copy one from a map that is similar to your new map.

Last edited:

Gigafrost

Pokemon GBA Spriter and Coder
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2015
Ehhh... Does anyone know a solution to my problem? lol

Link to my problem below:
(Delete the brackets info before posting the link. I did it this way since I have a 15 post limit with links.)

poke[Delete these brackets]community.com/showpost.php?p=6339876&postcount=17068

Last edited:

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
@colcolstyles: Hmm, I see, I finally learned the secret of special 0x187. Never would have guessed that's what it does and, well, that's very interesting and probably good to know. XD
And after a bit of messing with the map, I was indeed able to run.

Thanks for all the help. =]

Gigafrost

Pokemon GBA Spriter and Coder
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2015
Does anyone know how to fix the backsprites of pokemon so their not discolored? I tried using different palletes but it simply ignores it X/. I know someone has GOT to run into this issue before (looks at the VARIOUS Rom makers for advice lol).

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Does anyone know how to fix the backsprites of pokemon so their not discolored? I tried using different palletes but it simply ignores it X/. I know someone has GOT to run into this issue before (looks at the VARIOUS Rom makers for advice lol).
I'd use [APSE] Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor to fix the backsprite for any problems you may have for it and fix the palettes of the Pokemon. Maybe look up a tutorial just in case also.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
Help much appreciated(:

I looked in the thread but I couldn't find a definite answer...

I just need to know if there is a on how to change it from Oak giving you your starter. I don't want him to take me to his lab. I hate his lab >:

Anywho, I know it's not a Basic Givepokemon script because without your starter you can't get the Pokemon option in your start menu.

In a nutshell, my spoons are ::

1. Is there a way to change it so you do not have to follow Oak to his lab and get one of the original 3 starters?
  2. Also, (closely related question), how come when I do use a basic givepokemon script, I do not get the message that I received a Pokemon?
Any help would be appreciated. (:

Thanks in advance, and Sorry if this post is in the thread somewhere, I just couldn't find it. >:
Edit :: I am hacking LeafGreen.
<3Ed.--

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I looked in the thread but I couldn't find a definite answer...

I just need to know if there is a on how to change it from Oak giving you your starter. I don't want him to take me to his lab. I hate his lab >:

Anywho, I know it's not a Basic Givepokemon script because without your starter you can't get the Pokemon option in your start menu.

In a nutshell, my spoons are ::

1. Is there a way to change it so you do not have to follow Oak to his lab and get one of the original 3 starters?
  2. Also, (closely related question), how come when I do use a basic givepokemon script, I do not get the message that I received a Pokemon?
Any help would be appreciated. (:

Thanks in advance, and Sorry if this post is in the thread somewhere, I just couldn't find it. >:
Edit :: I am hacking LeafGreen.
<3Ed.--
To the answer for question two, you'd have to add a text string saying: [PLAYER] received a Pokemon! The givepokemon command just gives you the Pokemon, not the text also.

For question one... I think you'd have to remove the level script and tinker around with the script a bit... But yeah, I guess someone else can help you on number one. ;P

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2010
To the answer for question two, you'd have to add a text string saying: [PLAYER] received a Pokemon! The givepokemon command just gives you the Pokemon, not the text also.

For question one... I think you'd have to remove the level script and tinker around with the script a bit... But yeah, I guess someone else can help you on number one. ;P

Yikes. Well, could you give me an example of this text string? I don't understand where to put it... And to ask if the player wants to add a Nickname to the pokemon, do I just put a simple Yes/No script in then add something about name editing?

Yeeee, I'm needy (:

Thank you in advance!

<3Ed--

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Yikes. Well, could you give me an example of this text string? I don't understand where to put it... And to ask if the player wants to add a Nickname to the pokemon, do I just put a simple Yes/No script in then add something about name editing?

Yeeee, I'm needy (:

Thank you in advance!

<3Ed--
What scripting tool are you using? If XSE, than go to diegoisawesome's Scripting Tutorial and look for part of his tutorial on the givepokemon command.
If you're using something like PokeScript then find the tutorial on that command here.
It's pretty easy when you get used to the scripting.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
ok...so i'm trying to insert tiles into my rom, but I can't seem to get the correct palette for my tiles. Using irfanview, I index my tiles then export the palette, but when I load this palette into a-map it is not the same as that of my indexed tiles...the colors are darker and I have no idea where they came from. What am I doing wrong here?

Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2021
To rephrase my question from earlier, how might I go about finding the table for the pointers to the attack animations. I'm working on the assumption that if I can find the pointer to the animation for Pound, its likely that the pointers will start there and continue in the same order as the attack table. If I can find the pointer table I should be able to hex edit the pointers to switch animations and add new attacks.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
ok...so i'm trying to insert tiles into my rom, but I can't seem to get the correct palette for my tiles. Using irfanview, I index my tiles then export the palette, but when I load this palette into a-map it is not the same as that of my indexed tiles...the colors are darker and I have no idea where they came from. What am I doing wrong here?
It's because of the palette numbers... It has to be divisible by the number 8. You can manually edit thorough Irfanview, or save an .act palette file using something like Adobe Photoshop.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
It's because of the palette numbers... It has to be divisible by the number 8. You can manually edit thorough Irfanview, or save an .act palette file using something like Adobe Photoshop.

ok... I understand that the palette numbers need to be divisible by 8. However, I don't understand whether it is the initial palette numbers or the indexed palette numbers that need to be divisible by 8. My indexed colors are not, but wouldn't changing them "unindex" my palette?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
ok... I understand that the palette numbers need to be divisible by 8. However, I don't understand whether it is the initial palette numbers or the indexed palette numbers that need to be divisible by 8. My indexed colors are not, but wouldn't changing them "unindex" my palette?

No. An indexed image is an image that chooses it's colors from a pallet. Changing the color values of the pallet wouldn't change it's "indexedness."

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
No. An indexed image is an image that chooses it's colors from a pallet. Changing the color values of the pallet wouldn't change it's "indexedness."

So after indexing my tiles I can just go back and change the colors to whatever I want, then save and export the palette?

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Can anyone tell me or direct me to a tutorial on how to change battle backgrounds in 3rd gen games? I've been looking but I can't find anything helpful.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
is there an easy to use program compatible with emrald that can edit in battle pokeon sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back