• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is rom-hacking on the decline?

Sensual

This should be good.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2018
It seems like the popularity of rom-hacking has declined since I joined. Now I don't know the statistics, but it's pretty evident that the number of new hacks being pushed out is slowing down lately..

You'd think the hacking community would be flourishing considering that the process is easier than ever. Yet, it seems like we're on a steady decline. It's hard to believe rom-hacking is just a fad that will eventually fade away, so I wonder if there are any specific reasons we're seeing less activity from the community.

Just curious what your opinions are?

megaman d

novice scripter
Years
hmm... well I don't think so, It's just that more quality rom hacks are being made now which takes more time.Also there is no statistic so you can't say as I can see I see more hacks then ever. People work in groups to make a single hack better so that might be a reason too. People are probably rather working on new gimmicks then whole hacks to help others.

if you are correct maybe it's because people are lazy nowdays and to be frank, gameboy is a pretty old emulator or console now and people are moving on. The roms have much research but the new hot games are way past them. To hack games you also have to start learning but the greatness of new hacks and the flashiness of pixel art scare away the beginners (eg. is me) and they don't even start without knowing everyone started from the bottom.

didn't had the statistic so made "some" points for both sides.

Years
  • Age 26
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I'd say that sadly, yes, there has been a decline. Having been in the scene in some form or another since late 2009, things seem much less popular than they used to in years previous.

Of course, you have to consider that the last 3rd Gen game, Emerald, came out in 2005. Ruby and Sapphire came out in 2003. We probably have members that weren't even alive then.

This kind of thing is to be expected as the games continue to grow older.

I don't think ROM hacking itself is a fad that will fade--as long as video games can be modified, people will keep doing so. However, the hacking of Gen 3 Pok?mon games probably is.

I also want people to keep in mind that the hacking of future generations is very much a growing community. It may seem like hacking is "dying" because these forums tend to focus on the 3rd Gen, but if you keep your eyes open you'll see there is plenty still going on.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 2, 2020
I think megaman d said it best. It isn't quite dead, as much higher quality hacks are being made. There are certainly less creators now, but that isn't too bad because the ones who make legitimate good hacks are still in the scene. I can't think of the last romhack that hasn't been quality and extremely unique and fun, whereas years ago in the early hacking days they had far less polish to it. So is it on a decline, yes, but there are more quality hacks today. Plus there are ones like Phoenix Rising and Uranium which have transcended the roms and now use their own programs to make the fan games even better with even more polish and content.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Yes, it's less popular now to hack older generation games and there are just much better free to play games available to the consumer these days.

Would you rather play someone's ROM hack, or a professionally developed free to play game? It just doesn't strike me as a good past time to play ROM hacks, aside from maybe playing something on your phone while you wait for the bus. Only Pokemon fans who wish to play more Pokemon games would look into playing ROM hacks, and thus they'd be the only ones who'd possibly convert into hackers. Turns out that group isn't very large. Some people also don't exactly know about ROM hacks either.

Iria Animi

Innocent Trainer
Years
I think people saw lots of old hack attempted with unfinished work. So many people got discouraged. But some people are making cool sideshow hack, which now I always look forward to play. Making a finished rom hacking isn't as easy as we think because most of time people get dissatisfied with their project in the middle of their developments.

Overall, I can say its declining but there are some ongoing which are actually really good.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
growing up definitely plays a part, I know some veterans who just have a lot to deal with irl and hacking takes way too much time and effort depending on what you're doing for them to keep doing it

that there's a decline, there's no doubt. But speaking for myself, I know hacking gen 3 will always have a special place in my heart

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Well, I might be wrong, but I see many more hacks (and high-quality ones) now than I used to see in ~2009.

IMO the scene looks healthy and it won't disappear any time soon.

megaman d

novice scripter
Years
You can say that the gen 3 hacking is getting old (maybe but I don't agree but let's take that into note). I believe that new gen or the more newer gen game will be the target after that. We see "difficulty hacks" for them but we might see something new soon. Even though hacking is only limited to your imagination, it get's blocked by emulators limitations too. Now, the new gen would provide more wider way of hacking and a whole new concept to it. I am no master is disassembling or coding but from seeing the community I believe that the flare will keep on igniting and new things will always arrive.

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
I don't think its dying, and I haven't been around my self too much lately because I have to Adult it and Life of course.

Without the numbers on how many new hackers come into the seen every day or week.
It's hard to determine if its rising or falling or just sitting in idle.

I can say that the lack of updated tools and outdated links to older tools can push some newer hackers away by far.
Also outdated tutorials don't help either...

Honestly a all in one tool for gen 3 games would be ideal and keeping it open source would only benefit the future makers.

Also as megaman d pointed out, I see no reason to not update and expand on a GBA emulator.
The emulated hardware really does become a limiting factor and there are not many these days who play their GBA games on the real hardware anyway. So why not a custom GBA with more memory and dev options ect.
Yes games made for it would only work on it but that's where cross platform comes in.
Just an idea though.

Lastly, too many want to do their project and have abandoned team projects.
It really does seem the better known hacks always have a good team behind them with a exception here and there of course...

Years
I looked at rom hacking back around 2013, all I seen were maping tutorials, no Pok?mon adding, no fairy type (well XY didn't exist then) and not many scripting tutorials, now that O joined the seen in 2017, my it changed! Maybe, not many people are in making big hacks cause is a hobbyist thing. Gen 4 hacks will replace more Gen 3 hacks soon anyways.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Hacking will see a bigger decline with the eventual death of spriting as a hobby. Spriting has lost a lot of steam over the past few years and since most hackers cannot sprite themselves they are at the mercy of artists interest in the medium

megaman d

novice scripter
Years
Hacking will see a bigger decline with the eventual death of spriting as a hobby. Spriting has lost a lot of steam over the past few years and since most hackers cannot sprite themselves they are at the mercy of artists interest in the medium

Now I agree that there are not many new spriters emerging and hackers do not want to sprite themselves, it's going to be hard but let's see the amount of already available sprite on the internet and it's uncountable. Also a single sprite art can be used in more than one hack or can become a staple in most. The best thing about it is that it is open-source (mostly) and can be used by anyone. Do not forget that there is limited capacity on the rom or emulator itself, It can only sustain a amount of great artworks by which I mean that we can only create pixel things on it and that to on a limited area, not by the operators pc's standard, but by the emulators. Altogether I wanted to say that most of the required one is found online and the specifics can be made from the help by freelance pixel artist (which I see you are saying are less but even a small amount of artist or the person themselves are enough because not "many" hacks are being developed right now that want new shiny stuff). Also your point proves my earlier point that we should try going with gen 4 (as it would open way for a new world of pixel art) but I think people like gen 3 as stuff has already been made and it's rather easier and provides more variety of things.

Also as megaman d pointed out, I see no reason to not update and expand on a GBA emulator.
The emulated hardware really does become a limiting factor and there are not many these days who play their GBA games on the real hardware anyway. So why not a custom GBA with more memory and dev options ect.

I thought about it too but I don't know how we "emulate" the games also isn't the memory capacity in roms?
anyways, gba might or probably can be explored more but making a more advanced gba would make it just like a DS, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
I thought about it too but I don't know how we "emulate" the games also isn't the memory capacity in roms?
anyways, gba might or probably can be explored more but making a more advanced gba would make it just like a DS, wouldn't it?

Emulation does take a considerable amount more work.
As you are emulating a gameboy advanced hardware in sofware form.
But really to expand on it wouldn't be too much work for those who have made a emulator or took part in.

Ram is not in the Rom as those are two different memory areas.
ROM is what is in the game cart alog with SRAM(for saving if the game has save).
RAM is in the Gameboy Advance along with the CPU and all the other goodies.

If I was good enough I would have already tried to play with this idea, but I'm slowly working my way up to that level.. One day I will be there hahahaha

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I don't think upgrading the emulator is in the future of Gen III ROM hacking. The fun of ROM hacking comes from working in the limited environment, reverse engineering and interacting with the hardware directly. If you removed these limiting factors, you may as well just build a PC game using some public game engines.

It's kind of silly to be discussing leaving behind the GBA for a better piece of hardware when most hacks never actually push the GBA's limits or hit a brick walls from hardware limitations.

Most of us see obvious limits in the amount of colors a tile or sprite can be, or the 64x64 size of sprites ect. If those are troublesome for you, then perhaps you should not be hacking gen III. I find the bigger limits don't rest on the hardware's shoulders, but the hacker.

Years
I just noticed that playing roms on the computer is just not as fun or engaging for me as physically owning a copy of the game, putting it into my DS Lite and playing. Maybe I am just weird idk. I mean I tried it, bought an SNES controller for it (btw works great for GB, GBA, and DS games) but it just doesn't satisfy me. Maybe it's nostalgia? Idk but I plan to buy diamond, heart gold, and emerald for my handhelds. Just need a new battery for my SP, which I've had 3 of and ironically got all 3 for free.....well no I actually got my first SP and 2nd copy of leaf green from a guy for a frozen dinner and a pepsi. He sure musta been hungry :O

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years
I personally don't spend much time in the ROM hacking side of things, I spend more time in the Game Development section. But I see a pretty common trend there that is probably present somewhat in the Hacking section, and could potentially contribute to a decline in popularity there, if any.

Thing is, new devs or hackers always seem to want to make a game as fast and as easily as they possibly can, and then reap the rewards of fame and popularity from that, despite that's unlikely to happen regardless. They don't want to put in years of effort to make a game - despite the fact that that's usually what it takes. They want maximum return for minimal effort.

And from what I've seen and heard, hacking a ROM takes a lot of effort, as compared to an RMXP game. I don't know the details of it, but I would imagine that taking an already finished game and making massive alterations to make it into another game would take more time and knowledge than simply making something from the ground up. Especially since a lot of them aren't too keen on trying to learn it, but instead try to find others to do it for them. I don't know if that's a common thing in ROM hacking, but I've seen it more than a few times in Game Dev.

So, I would imagine that any decline in the ROM hacking community could be because of the time and effort required to make a hack. People aiming to make their own Pokemon want to rush through and make a game and get popular, and they want to take the easiest route to that. And ROM hacking is - at least in their minds - way too hard for them.

Back