• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Chaos Rush's 649 on Ruby Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Update on the dex: It almost works. Problem is, I'm having trouble tracking down the mistakes I made (if I made any - I'm not sure), or the pointers I have not yet repointed. The Pokédex works, and lists the Pokémon, but you currently cannot view the pages. This may be because of what follows.

If you try to scroll up or down (you can scroll with left and right, however), the game reverts you to slot 0 on the dex, which doesn't exist, obviously. I believe that I've missed, or badly pointed 1 of the values, and this particular value represents what slot on the dex you are on.

Nearly finished though, and it's a massive improvement on what I had before.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Update on the dex: It almost works. Problem is, I'm having trouble tracking down the mistakes I made (if I made any - I'm not sure), or the pointers I have not yet repointed. The Pokédex works, and lists the Pokémon, but you currently cannot view the pages. This may be because of what follows.

If you try to scroll up or down (you can scroll with left and right, however), the game reverts you to slot 0 on the dex, which doesn't exist, obviously. I believe that I've missed, or badly pointed 1 of the values, and this particular value represents what slot on the dex you are on.

Nearly finished though, and it's a massive improvement on what I had before.
That's good to hear. This might be a stupid suggestion, but wouldn't it be possible to find the value that lists the value of what slot on the dex you're on, simply by:

1. Get a clean Ruby rom
2. Play until you get the Pokedex
3. Open up the Pokedex, scroll between two blank entries back and forth
4. (assuming you're using VBA) Use the Memory Viewer or the Cheat Search function, and look for a value in the ram that changes back and forth every time you scroll up or down
5. Once you find that value, open up the clean Ruby Rom in a hex editor and search for a pointer(s) to that offset that you found with VBA's Memory Viewer and/or Cheat Search function
6. Open up the 649 Ruby Rom in a hex editor and go to the same offset that the pointer(s) is, and fix it
7. ????
8. PROFIT!!!

I apologize if that was already obvious to you, but I'm just trying to help XD. It's the same method I used to find where the game stores the 0x8000 variables when I was converting JPAN's Pokemon encryption routines to work with Ruby version.

EDIT: So I did some experimenting and it appears that the offset for whatever slot you're on in the Pokedex alternates between these offsets: 02019600, 02018600, and 02019E00.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2012
Yes, ok. Very funny. You know fine well that I meant you can't modify an official Pokemon Ruby cartridge... :P For what it's worth, that's the very reason I adopted using the Bios for my patch - I know it should work on the actual hardware.

Got some good news, I have tracked down the Pokedex routines, and I am working on their expansion now. They are remarkably similar to the FR routines, and my initial guess about the static RAM address has proven to be correct.

Personally my way around using a keyboard is to use a ps2 controller and a usb adaptor (since while I have an R4 for DS games, I can only play GBA roms on my laptop or phone)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
awesome hack!is it still alive or what?good luck anyway finishing it:D
It's only been a few days -__-. Just because I haven't posted for a few days doesn't mean its dead...

Jambo51 is working on the Pokedex, while I've been working on sprites.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
I have to say that what you guys have accomplished here is simply astounding. I'm new to Pokemon hacking, but I do have some experience hex editing other gba games and, if what you're doing is anything close to what I've put work into... Dang.

You guys are amazing and I hope to see this come to a satisfying conclusion so that you can get the credit you deserve.

Keep up the good work:D

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Wonder if later you gonna try the DS versions once ou are done with the GBA, would be great to do more fakemon and stuff on the DS. You've done a great job so far. Also you found a way to add all the Unown on the pokedex ?

Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2013
thats a really awsome project.

I have been looking around a good guide for this, but all the information are scattered.. Cant really get my head around this.

Is there a good guide on how to add a pokemon, change attacks, stats, dex entry(if not, at least not make the game freeze when its caught) etc etc.

would really love that.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
thats a really awsome project.

I have been looking around a good guide for this, but all the information are scattered.. Cant really get my head around this.

Is there a good guide on how to add a pokemon, change attacks, stats, dex entry(if not, at least not make the game freeze when its caught) etc etc.

would really love that.

As far as i know, there isn't an "easy" way. You can change existing Pokemon with the current tools, but when it comes to inserting them, it's a headache. You'll basically have to repoint a lot of things and stuff...

Really looking forward to the association Jambo/ChaosRush to provide something big. It's a shame that I can't help though, I'd love to understand all these mechanics

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Unfortunately Jambo51 has encountered some problems with the Pokedex expansion, and I don't want to pressure him to get them fixed. Also I'm going to re-do this whole thing, but this time on FireRed.

Now I know you're thinking: What's the point of doing this on FireRed if Jambo51's project (the original inspiration for this) is already on FireRed? Here's why:

*Jambo's project is focused towards 5th Gen, while mine will be focused towards 4th Gen
*Jambo's project is designed for emulators, while mine is specifically designed for GBA hardware through use of a flashcart, so I don't want features like the Day/Night system because they won't work
*I'll learn things in the process anyway
*I can easily copy+paste all the data and repoint tables as necessary
*FireRed is more documented
*Jambo51 provided documentation in his own thread on expanding the Pokedex (well kinda but whatevs)
*The original reason why I wanted to do DarkViolet on Ruby/Emerald is no longer applicable due to some ASM hacks that are possible on FireRed
*I'm working on all 4th Gen moves, thus forcing me to learn ASM more
*I'm Chaos Rush and I can do whatever I want and don't care if random people on the internet think its pointless

Are the new moves still being implemented in this hack?
As of very recently, yes. I've actually already begun working on the new FireRed project several days ago:
2.png

I'll probably be starting a new thread since this new project will be slightly different, so a mod can close this if he/she wants.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Gallade without Psycho Cut would suck... Perhaps the animation could be the Confusion background mixed with Cut's animation? Just saying... :)

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Whoa... this is awesome. I love the fact that someone is really expanding ruby's pokedex.... when this is done you can bet it's gonna go on my flashcart. Can't believe I wasnt aware of this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back