The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old January 24th, 2013 (1:52 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
    I did that, but I'm not sure which flag is which. I may have figured out which it sets the first time, but given that I don't believe any in-game events are tied to winning the second time, I'm not sure there's even a flag for the second time. And I'm not sure how to go about scripting one, since I don't want it to happen the first time the script is run.

BTW, this is an attempt to create a final boss battle (one that would only appear after you beat the rest of the game), so if there is another way to do it, that would work too.
    Not too difficult, just have a flag set when you enter the room with the machine thingy in it that records your data. When this is set, a script could be allowed to happen somewhere else where the hero can go to take on this final boss.

Just use a simple setflag in a level script in that room to accomplish this.

Paired with Simba
    Old January 25th, 2013 (10:54 AM).

So, I got this idea for my game that I really want to do, but I'm not sure how, or if I even can, but would it be possible to have gameplay before the actual intro of the game? This is what im thinking of doing: The game starts right away, youre playing as a little boy, you do a small pre mission kinda deal, then it fast forwards to the present, and thats where the game starts, you tell the prof your name, and so on. Because my character will be living in pallet town and I want to show some background like where he was before then, because i want it to make sense as to why hes there now. How could I do this? And how difficult would it be if possible?
      Old January 25th, 2013 (11:26 AM).
      Watcher

Quote:
        Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
        So, I got this idea for my game that I really want to do, but I'm not sure how, or if I even can, but would it be possible to have gameplay before the actual intro of the game? This is what im thinking of doing: The game starts right away, youre playing as a little boy, you do a small pre mission kinda deal, then it fast forwards to the present, and thats where the game starts, you tell the prof your name, and so on. Because my character will be living in pallet town and I want to show some background like where he was before then, because i want it to make sense as to why hes there now. How could I do this? And how difficult would it be if possible?
        It should be possible. What game version are you hacking? Sorry, I guess I didn't really read ("living in pallet town") I'm guessing fire red then.... these posts should be relevant then

I'll direct you over to these R&D posts to help you get started:
        https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7434819
        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7434819

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7435075
        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7435075

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7508451
        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7508451

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7508563
        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7508563
        Old January 25th, 2013 (11:46 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by wwmb View Post
          Sorry, yeah it is FR haha
          The post mentioned removing the intro, but im looking more to...delay it.
          I also have no ASM skills, but I will attempt to teach myself if thats what is needed to do my idea, but will that code remove it? or could i use that to maybe push back the intro of the game, so i can allow my own events to happen and then create some kind of event where it initiates the original intro?
          Old January 25th, 2013 (11:57 AM).

Nature: Quirky
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
            Not too difficult, just have a flag set when you enter the room with the machine thingy in it that records your data. When this is set, a script could be allowed to happen somewhere else where the hero can go to take on this final boss.

Just use a simple setflag in a level script in that room to accomplish this.
            But wouldn't that trigger the flag the first time you beat the elite four? I only want it to happen after the second time...

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
            Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old January 25th, 2013 (12:13 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
              But wouldn't that trigger the flag the first time you beat the elite four? I only want it to happen after the second time...
              Okay, so set a flag the first time. Then the second time you go through, you check the old flag and proceed only if it is set. If it is, you set the second flag, which unlocks the door or whatever you need it to.

Paired with Simba
              Old January 25th, 2013 (3:25 PM).
              Watcher

Quote:
                Sorry, yeah it is FR haha
                The post mentioned removing the intro, but im looking more to...delay it.
                I also have no ASM skills, but I will attempt to teach myself if thats what is needed to do my idea, but will that code remove it? or could i use that to maybe push back the intro of the game, so i can allow my own events to happen and then create some kind of event where it initiates the original intro?
                Yep, ASM seems to be a requirement.... and, if you learn it you could not only activate it (or parts of it, like Jambo kind of does) whenever you want, but make your own version.

I don't actually know ASM (yet) either, so I cannot help you very much, other than finding posts by other people :P

I think the (perhaps simplified) steps are: move the intro (and stop everything from trying to call it), build a function to start the intro at its new place of residence, and then write a script to call that function.

Good luck!
                Old January 26th, 2013 (11:24 PM).
                Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
                  Ok, this is extremely urgent A-map seems to be malfunctioning along with 1.92.

So I was trying to port over my old tileset but when i do everything in the tileset became monocolored... :/

Yet, I've edited the pallete and when I checked the pallete editor the palletes are right but in a-map and in game the tiles are monocolored and I don't know why...

It's my first time inserting tiles again after a month but I don't think that's my problem because on a new ROM a clean FR rom I saved the tileset and tried to load it again but when it load it was monocolored and I don't know the reason behind that... :/

Here's a pic to show you guys what's happening.

Spoiler:

I need help please without this to be fixed I can't contninue with my hack... :/
                  Old January 27th, 2013 (1:31 AM).
                  Heiki Hecchara‌‌

Nature: Jolly
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
                  Ok, this is extremely urgent A-map seems to be malfunctioning along with 1.92.

So I was trying to port over my old tileset but when i do everything in the tileset became monocolored... :/

Yet, I've edited the pallete and when I checked the pallete editor the palletes are right but in a-map and in game the tiles are monocolored and I don't know why...

It's my first time inserting tiles again after a month but I don't think that's my problem because on a new ROM a clean FR rom I saved the tileset and tried to load it again but when it load it was monocolored and I don't know the reason behind that... :/

Here's a pic to show you guys what's happening.

Spoiler:

I need help please without this to be fixed I can't contninue with my hack... :/
                  That happens when you complete these steps:
                  • Save your tileset from A-Map and open it in Paint/ another image editor
                  • Edit the palette that you were using in A-Map
                  • Save your tileset with the new palette, overwriting the version you saved earlier
                  • Make some changes to the original tileset that was opened in Paint and save it, once again overwriting the file that was just saved from A-Map (At this point you're overwriting a file that overwrote an earlier version of this file)
                  • When you load this new tileset into A-Map it will display like what you've shown, with the final palette in the tileset overwriting all the colours except the transparent one (I think it can also overwrite the transparent colour if you changed it while editing the palette earlier)
                  You get this effect because Paint only saves the image and doesn't overwrite the assigned palette even if its different. When you edit the palette in A-Map and overwrite the file that is still in Paint then you're working with an outdated version of the tileset in terms of the palette if you don't reload/ reopen it so when you again overwrite that file it doesn't change the associated palette to what it was originally.

To get your tileset back to normal you need to have your final saved tileset which looks screwed up in A-Map but fine in Paint - If you deleted it in a fit of confusion or something happened to it then there's nothing you can do other than start again or use an earlier saved version from a back up. Anyway, you need to change your palette back to how it was when you started out with 100% accuracy, if you've got a .pal file of it then you should have no trouble with this. Save the messed up tileset in A-Map but title it something different than the standard 'TilesetXX' so you don't overwrite anything. Copy+Paste the tileset that looks okay in Paint but wrong in A-Map over this newly made tileset and save it. When you open it in A-Map then it should hopefully look back to normal.

Ugh, sorry that parts of this are poorly worded. I've had this happen one or two times so I know it can be really devastating if you don't know what to do ;_;
                  Old January 27th, 2013 (3:33 AM).
                  Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                    That happens when you complete these steps:
                    • Save your tileset from A-Map and open it in Paint/ another image editor
                    • Edit the palette that you were using in A-Map
                    • Save your tileset with the new palette, overwriting the version you saved earlier
                    • Make some changes to the original tileset that was opened in Paint and save it, once again overwriting the file that was just saved from A-Map (At this point you're overwriting a file that overwrote an earlier version of this file)
                    • When you load this new tileset into A-Map it will display like what you've shown, with the final palette in the tileset overwriting all the colours except the transparent one (I think it can also overwrite the transparent colour if you changed it while editing the palette earlier)
                    You get this effect because Paint only saves the image and doesn't overwrite the assigned palette even if its different. When you edit the palette in A-Map and overwrite the file that is still in Paint then you're working with an outdated version of the tileset in terms of the palette if you don't reload/ reopen it so when you again overwrite that file it doesn't change the associated palette to what it was originally.

To get your tileset back to normal you need to have your final saved tileset which looks screwed up in A-Map but fine in Paint - If you deleted it in a fit of confusion or something happened to it then there's nothing you can do other than start again or use an earlier saved version from a back up. Anyway, you need to change your palette back to how it was when you started out with 100% accuracy, if you've got a .pal file of it then you should have no trouble with this. Save the messed up tileset in A-Map but title it something different than the standard 'TilesetXX' so you don't overwrite anything. Copy+Paste the tileset that looks okay in Paint but wrong in A-Map over this newly made tileset and save it. When you open it in A-Map then it should hopefully look back to normal.

Ugh, sorry that parts of this are poorly worded. I've had this happen one or two times so I know it can be really devastating if you don't know what to do ;_;
                    I don't think so when I tried it in another hack it was the same so I think I'm hopeless for tile inserting now... :(
                    Old January 27th, 2013 (5:49 AM).
                    Free supporter

Quote:
                    I don't think so when I tried it in another hack it was the same so I think I'm hopeless for tile inserting now... :(
                    Are you using MS paint to insert tiles (I use XP, cuz we gud liek dat yo)? If you're not I think you should. Another thing you can do is what Fuji suggested, and work from a back up. Though if you have the desired tile set (and the colors are compatible i.e RGB# is a multiple of 8), then you can simply open the palette editor and change the colors to match and insert (shouldn't take more than 10 mins). Also, make sure advance map is the most recent version :)
                    Old January 27th, 2013 (9:02 AM).

How would you find the ASM routine that the game runs when pressing A while selecting "Pokedex" on the Start Menu? I tried pausing the game in VBA-SDL-H right after pressing A, but I can't find the exact routine, because whenever I put in a breakpoint, it breaks even in other places that have nothing to do with the Pokedex, and that it seems like the game is always running multiple routines or something :/
                      Old January 27th, 2013 (12:31 PM).
                      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
                        How would you find the ASM routine that the game runs when pressing A while selecting "Pokedex" on the Start Menu? I tried pausing the game in VBA-SDL-H right after pressing A, but I can't find the exact routine, because whenever I put in a breakpoint, it breaks even in other places that have nothing to do with the Pokedex, and that it seems like the game is always running multiple routines or something :/
                        There are several things you can try but you're currently on a wrong path if I understood right what you're saying here. The processor executes code so fast that if you're trying to press some button on that program to stop executing at certain point, you can never be quick enough.
                        Anyway, can't you just set a breakpoint to the ram address having the buttons stored in them? There should be some high ram area in GBA where certain universal things like key presses are stored. When you press A, one bit is set in a certain ram address and you can set a breakpoint to that address and follow the code onwards from there.

Another way would be trying to use an asm editor and get hang of the processes being executed before you press A button at that time.
                        You should be able to find some table defining text strings "Pokedex", "Pokemon", [Player's name]", "Option" and all that stuff. Find the pointer to "Pokedex" for instance and see how it is accessed. Somewhere close to it (either in that routine or some "main routine" calling that subroutine) you should find a routine for making the game wait for the player to press either A button or Up/Down for scrolling up or down in the menu.

For reference; http://blog.pkh.me/p/1-scavenger-hunt.html
                        Old January 27th, 2013 (2:09 PM).
                        Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                          Are you using MS paint to insert tiles (I use XP, cuz we gud liek dat yo)? If you're not I think you should. Another thing you can do is what Fuji suggested, and work from a back up. Though if you have the desired tile set (and the colors are compatible i.e RGB# is a multiple of 8), then you can simply open the palette editor and change the colors to match and insert (shouldn't take more than 10 mins). Also, make sure advance map is the most recent version :)
                          I am using XP I just have windows 7 theme...

I already did that but it still the same when loading a tileset... :/ No, I inserted the tileset but it looks monocolored but when I open the pallete editor it's the pallete that I wanted... :/

I am using 95 but I thought to myself maybe it's because there are many bugs with 95 but when I tried it in 92 it's still the same.
                          Old January 27th, 2013 (3:05 PM). Edited January 27th, 2013 by FBI.
                          Free supporter

Quote:
                          I am using XP I just have windows 7 theme...

I already did that but it still the same when loading a tileset... :/ No, I inserted the tileset but it looks monocolored but when I open the pallete editor it's the pallete that I wanted... :/

I am using 95 but I thought to myself maybe it's because there are many bugs with 95 but when I tried it in 92 it's still the same.
                          Do you have a 16 color version of what's coming up as all green in A-Map? And have you tried inserting them onto a clean ROM then patching it over? If you're doing something wrong with inserting it, shouldn't insert properly on the clean ROM. If it does insert onto the clean ROM just patch it on the ROM you're working on :)

EDIT:
                          Time for me to pose a question. How do I do this:

Maybe with the down arrow too? I'm asking for FireRed. This screenshot is from Foullump's White Version.

EDIT2:

Quote:
                          You would have to use hex.
                          Up = [F7]
                          Down = [F8]
                          Left = [F9]
                          Right = [EF]
                          Is there no way to do it in the script editor?

EDIT3:

Welp, I ended up figuring it out. If you're interested:
                          Spoiler:

Here they are for PKSV:
                          \h79 - Up
                          \h7A - Down
                          \h7b - Left
                          \h7c - Right

For XSE it's simply just square brackets and a capital letter. Hope that helps :)
                          Old January 27th, 2013 (6:42 PM).
                          Cute Trainer

Nature: Calm
                            I'm making a Gold hack, and I want to remove the guide gent from cherrygrove city. I can do that just fine, that's not the problem. However, he gives the player the map card, which is kind of important. How can I make sure the map card is pre-installed as soon as you obtain the pokegear?
                            Old January 28th, 2013 (12:59 AM).
                            Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Strawberry Mint View Post
                              I'm making a Gold hack, and I want to remove the guide gent from cherrygrove city. I can do that just fine, that's not the problem. However, he gives the player the map card, which is kind of important. How can I make sure the map card is pre-installed as soon as you obtain the pokegear?
                              You're going to have to change the script ran in the downstairs of your house so that map card is being "installed" at the same time when the script is run.

In other words, download PKSV and decompile the script at 0x18164F. There, you've to make the script "setbit2 0x1".

You could for example do the following:
                              Change that "2call 0x56C7" to "2call 0x7FF0". Next replace

Code:
                              #org 0x1816C7
                              '-----------------------------------
                              jumpstd 0x29
                              WITH

Code:
                              #org 0x183FF0
                              '-----------------------------------
                              setbit2 0x1
                              jumpstd 0x29
                              Old January 28th, 2013 (1:44 AM).

Nature: Calm
                                heeelp i can't figure out how i make a trainer fade after you beat them
                                Old January 28th, 2013 (2:59 AM).
                                Free supporter

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Flame999 View Post
                                heeelp i can't figure out how i make a trainer fade after you beat them
                                Fade? You mean like disappear?

It's disappear 0xPersonEventNumber
                                set a flag after that if you want it to be permanent (and change the person ID on A-map to that flag #)
                                Old January 28th, 2013 (3:18 AM).
                                Toast Engineer

So, I've got a few questions here, any help is appreciated :)

1. I'm attempting to change the pokemon logo on the title screen of emerald. The image goes across fine but the palette I'm changing in APE does not seem to do anything. I'm using this offset in APE 00DDE258, does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

2. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make it that rather than having a choice of boy/girl in the beginning of the game whether it would work to have it so you have multiple characters to choose from? Or is there a script function to change the characters OW? or does it require ASM?

I support these hacks :)
                                  Old January 28th, 2013 (5:28 AM).
                                  Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
                                    Well i wouldn't ask without searchign first but, the answer didn't help me 100%

After i tried to resize a map in A-map 1.95 Im getting this "Invalid pointer to map header" error.
                                    S
                                    earched if someone else had this problem before and giradialkia did, and they told him to re-download a new version of A-map, did that but im still getting this error.

I hope theres a solution to his or im screwed ;-;

Or if someone can PM me his A-map version if that is allowed and possible.
                                    Old January 28th, 2013 (8:00 AM).
                                    Free supporter

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
                                    Well i wouldn't ask without searchign first but, the answer didn't help me 100%

After i tried to resize a map in A-map 1.95 Im getting this "Invalid pointer to map header" error.
                                    S
                                    earched if someone else had this problem before and giradialkia did, and they told him to re-download a new version of A-map, did that but im still getting this error.

I hope theres a solution to his or im screwed ;-;

Or if someone can PM me his A-map version if that is allowed and possible.
                                    Yeah, I just use Amap 1.92 for mapping and 1.91 for inserting maps. I haven't downloaded the new version yet, but I've never had any errors using those two. "Invalid pointer to map header" -- What is your map header? Change it to the default in FireRed/whatever rom you're using. See if that fixes it.
                                    Old January 28th, 2013 (10:59 AM).
                                    Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                                      "Invalid pointer to map header" -- What is your map header? Change it to the default in FireRed/whatever rom you're using. See if that fixes it.
                                      Unfurtunately my A-map doesn't let me have acess on that certain map anymore(which is pallett town), since it gives me that error and no map shows up anymore ;-;

Well I was thinking if i could skip that map entirely and don't use it, or even delete it entirely and create a new map on some other free space, idk if that could be a solution?

Thanks for the reply though :>
                                      Old January 28th, 2013 (11:55 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by stocko View Post
                                        So, I've got a few questions here, any help is appreciated :)

1. I'm attempting to change the pokemon logo on the title screen of emerald. The image goes across fine but the palette I'm changing in APE does not seem to do anything. I'm using this offset in APE 00DDE258, does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

2. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make it that rather than having a choice of boy/girl in the beginning of the game whether it would work to have it so you have multiple characters to choose from? Or is there a script function to change the characters OW? or does it require ASM?

1. I searched using the Pallet editor in VBA on my BPEE rom and found the offset of the Rayquaza's pallet in the title screen to be 0x00DDE418 and the pallet for the glow on its body to be at 0x00D8BA54.

2. You can change the character in FireRed using JPAN's hacked engine. To make the change at the beginning in the selection area will require ASM or a very, very fancy script with lots of variables and picture boxes.

Look in the spoiler for a past post on removing the intro. From their, if you know what flags and stuff to write, you could try writing your own ASM or script to make it work:
                                        Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by wwmb View Post

Paired with Simba
                                        Old January 28th, 2013 (1:56 PM).
                                        Free supporter

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
                                        Unfurtunately my A-map doesn't let me have acess on that certain map anymore(which is pallett town), since it gives me that error and no map shows up anymore ;-;

Well I was thinking if i could skip that map entirely and don't use it, or even delete it entirely and create a new map on some other free space, idk if that could be a solution?

Thanks for the reply though :>
                                        I wouldn't ignore it, it could come back and mess things up in future (what if it happens to other maps?). Try HackMew's patching method (in his tutorial thread). That thing has never failed me lol.

Quick Reply