• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen How would you like to receive your starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
I think for something different, you pick your Pokemon when you start the game when you name yourself.

Then when you wake up the Pokemon you have chosen is sitting at he foot of your bed and starts following you (similar to HGSS).

Then on your mum's advice you visit the regional professor who is in the next town and she said that Pokemon had escaped from the lab and was meant to be a choice for a new trainer but it has bonded with you so she lets you keep it and gives you its Pokeball and a Pokedex.

Then enter the rival, who chooses the type better than yours and says this is the one i wanted anyway and decides to battle you which forms a strong rivalry.

I think that would be at least a nice twist on getting your Pokemon.

Years
It would be fun when you purchase the game , you will also receive 3 AR cards (come on...it's Nintendo 3DS!!!) and of course there is a starter on each one of the AR cards. And in the beginning of the game at a certain point, you get to scan/summon your choice of Pokemon Starter. Maybe scan them once you're in a lab, or in your room....when the game prompts you too scan one.

Last edited:

piefara

human
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
you should either be like wally you lone one and actually have to fight for it and catch it that way you're actullay greatfull because you actully work for it or you are attacked buy the villans and a wild jumps out and helps you! or the vilans are taking the starters and you only get to save one! or you could go to a safari zone whith the mini zones swamp,forest and volcano!

Last edited:
Years
You know what I miss? Seeing a table with three Pokéballs on it and choosing your starter that way.
People say that was clichéd and typical, but we haven't seen that since Gen 2 (HGSS in Gen 4 kinda count but since they were remakes of an original adventure, I'm excluding them).

In Gen 3, we had to pick them out of a bag to save the professor. In Gen 4 we had to pick them out of a bag to save ourselves. In Gen 5, I guess it was close enough to the 'table' way, in that you chose one of three. But then you immediately proceed to battle Bianca, and then Cheren.

Personally, I hope that you go to the Professor's lab or whatever (whoever that Professor may be), and choose a starter, then you're sent on your way to the next town or something. No "HEY BATTLE ME STRAIGHTAWAY NAOW!!!!". I think GSC/HGSS had the best setup- you pick your starter and just go around with it for a while, battling wild Pokemon and just chilling out. I'd like something like that in X and Y.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
In a unique way -- that's how I'd like to receive my starter. I'm sure they'll think of something... but honestly, we'll probably be so excited that won't give a crap on how we get it because we'll just want to play.

Quasar Infinity

Bloodskal Bladesman
Years
Perhaps you could walk downstairs and your mother is like, "Come here the news is on!" And it could work out that a wild pokemon is terrorizing the town. Maybe like in Emerald you choose which one it is at your mother's prompting, like with the Latis. Then you go out and catch with a borrowed 'insert common pokemon here'.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I don't really care how I receive the starter. I'm fine with just heading into the lab and picking the starter or receiving it at as gift.

Anything else seems overly dramatic for such an early point in the game.

piefara

human
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
I like this idea. Or instead of farms, it could be three different habitats: (Volcano, Swamp and Forest). At each habitat you would be able to capture a starter Pokemon corresponding to the habitat's environment. That would be nice.
oops! didn'y see this any way the safari zone should be in you're home town and thay should have limited time offer catch one super rare for free!

Last edited:

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I like the idea of going to a farm or somewhere and you catch your own starter.

blue

gucci
Years
I'd like for there to be a scenario in which the three starters have ran off in separate directions and depending on what direction you take, you battle it and develop a bond with it thus enabling it to join your team? Idkkk

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I think the idea of the lab attack and the three starters escaping their Pokeballs and running off on three different paths as described by Aerilyn and the others quite a great way to begin your journey :D Perhaps if they did follow that idea, the player would just have to search around a small area and not do too many tasks as the players usually just want to get on with the adventure in my opinion. However.. I don't think GF would make the process of getting your starter vary too much from the way it already is. Whatever it is, surprise me!

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
You wake up, and it's the first day of your journey(as your mom excitedly tells you.) You go to the lab and there are three pokeballs on a desk and a very professor-ish looking dude standing by the table. You talk to the pokeballs and it just says: It's a pokeball, used for catching pokemon!

You then talk to the professor, who tells you to choose one. After choosing, there is a small cutscene in which the pokeball opens...but nothing comes out! The professor realizes that the three pokeballs are fake and comments about a dude in black clothing with a 'R' on his chest being in here earlier. (The description is whatever the evil team looks like.) He then leaves to go after the grunt. Nothing happens until you leave the hometown and see the professor and grunt in tall grass. If you try to leave, the professor begs for help. You enter the tall grass and the grunt laughs at you since you don't have any pokemon. He sends out whichever starter you chose earlier...but it doesn't listen to him! The grunt hurts it, and the professor notes that the particular pokemon is very stubborn and won't listen to a trainer unless he or she has earned its respect. The grunt says something like "I'll teach it respect!"

Then, you get in the way and the grunt hits you(aka, shoving you backwards because it's a pokemon game.) The pokemon is touched and it joins your side, and the first battle begins. Once the battle has been won, the grunt flees. The professor thanks you and notes that the pokemon has taken a liking to you. Back at the lab, he is so touched by your display of bravey by defending the pokemon that he wants you to fill out an advanced device: the PokeDex. Of course you accept, nickname the pokemon, and then he gives you five more pokeballs for new allies. You leave the lab, and your journey begins for real.

Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2013
I hope we'll have to grab them from someone rather than have the professor give it straight up. It was wayy to normal.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Perhaps you could walk downstairs and your mother is like, "Come here the news is on!" And it could work out that a wild pokemon is terrorizing the town. Maybe like in Emerald you choose which one it is at your mother's prompting, like with the Latis. Then you go out and catch with a borrowed 'insert common pokemon here'.

Or perhaps the wild Pokemon causing terror on the town is the actual STARTER? Wouldn't that be amusing that if it sees you it forms an instant bond with you and is calmed. And which starter it is, is determined by a phrase you answer the professor with, regarding how the weather is. Either raining, sunny, or "nothing in particular". :3

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
Allow to quote one of my posts from a thread in "Pokémon Gaming Central" that I think also answers this thread.

An interesting idea.
Perhaps instead of the "sheltered" early teen, you play as a children that was raised in a more "developed" region of the Pokémon universe. Somewhere like New York City where it is not likely to run into many Pokémon or need to go on adventures.
Your grandparents run a PokéFarm in the country. This could where the main game begins as well as the intro mini adventure takes place at a younger age. Picking your starter Pokémon as an egg about to hatch at the start of the mini adventure. The Pokémon could become your friend in a "growing up" vacation cut scene.
Some event draws you back to the farm in your mid to late teens to start the game's main story.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Allow to quote one of my posts from a thread in "Pokémon Gaming Central" that I think also answers this thread.

Hmmm I like some of that a lot, especially the picking the starter from an egg. Or perhaps saving the egg from something that is trying to attack it? And the clause as to which it is... well, three are being attacked and you have to pick/hatch one to help save the other two before eaten, that's kind of awesome. :3

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
If I had the time or the background in game programming, I would have fun working out story ideas and details.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
As long as there is an awesome musical montage it doesn't matter how we get it...

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
You know what I miss? Seeing a table with three Pokéballs on it and choosing your starter that way.
People say that was clichéd and typical, but we haven't seen that since Gen 2 (HGSS in Gen 4 kinda count but since they were remakes of an original adventure, I'm excluding them).

I'd like to see that as well. I miss the simplicity of starting your Pokémon journey by going to the Professor's Lab and getting your starter, like your supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back