• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena's Design: The Old vs. The New

Which of Serena's designs do you like?

• Total voters

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
Years
I really like the whole aspect of characters cutting their hair to mark mental changes in a physical way. It was a way for her to start over, and also a way for them to point out trainer customization for the games, so I love that the anime went through with it. It was a turning point for the anime too, because prior to her no one had changed their looks mid-series, so they took a chance with it. As far as designs go, I think that shorter hair looks really cute on girls, and also her second outfit is adorable, so I prefer her second design by a landslide.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Here is the best way to determinate Serena's best hair

Serena with long hair

c9cf4818ddb39dd6eb2aca962712ef3e.jpg
latest

Serena with short hair

Serena_XY2.png

Now , you can decide !
Because It seem Long hair Serena is far attractive then short hair Serena.

Years
Here is the best way to determinate Serena's best hair

Serena with long hair

c9cf4818ddb39dd6eb2aca962712ef3e.jpg
latest

Serena with short hair

Serena_XY2.png

Now , you can decide !
Because It seem Long hair Serena is far attractive then short hair Serena.

well this section now allows thread bumps so why not

I looked at the comparison, and I do admit that while the long hair does flow better, the new outfit's coat was also made to move with her so it's a bit hard to call.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Personally don't mind either version of her. While I do like the ribbon and more open design on her later form(which makes drawing her that much more difficult with the free flowing clothes), the boots are kind of a turn-off for me. Plus, I just find her long flowing hair compliments her beauty far better than her shorter hair, even if it was done to signify character growth and resolve.

Years
Personally don't mind either version of her. While I do like the ribbon and more open design on her later form(which makes drawing her that much more difficult with the free flowing clothes), the boots are kind of a turn-off for me. Plus, I just find her long flowing hair compliments her beauty far better than her shorter hair, even if it was done to signify character growth and resolve.

I was initially turned off by the boots as well, but it grew on me eventually. But I do feel her longer hair would be harder to draw from an artist's standpoint.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I was initially turned off by the boots as well, but it grew on me eventually. But I do feel her longer hair would be harder to draw from an artist's standpoint.

Harder to draw? Perhaps but if they can draw Iris for 142 Episodes, I'm sure the long hair was the least of their worries. The flow of the 2nd design, particularly with her coat made animating that a bit of a headache.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I don't really prefer one design over the other, though the short hair makes her look more mature. I liked her character more in XYZ.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
The long hair is okay for her, but her short her gave her character a very mature look. I like her mature look in XYZ series because she needed to grow up and mature as a female character.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The long hair is okay for her, but her short her gave her character a very mature look. I like her mature look in XYZ series because she needed to grow up and mature as a female character.

She can still grow up and mature while still keeping her long hair though.

Years
I don't really prefer one design over the other, though the short hair makes her look more mature. I liked her character more in XYZ.

I do agree, since XYZ was a much darker series in general. That makes me think, I wonder how differently she would have been in XYZ had the haircut not happened? I'd say she wouldn't be as great as a character.

Guest123_x1

I do agree, since XYZ was a much darker series in general.
While I haven't watched the X/Y or XYZ runs much apart from an episode or two via Pokémon TV, I always thought that Serena's post-haircut design and outfit gave her a more light-hearted look.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
She can still grow up and mature while still keeping her long hair though.

Her long hair did looked good on aswell, but her short did give her character a very mature interesting look and i'm sure if she had keep her long hair she could have still become a mature character.

I do agree, since XYZ was a much darker series in general. That makes me think, I wonder how differently she would have been in XYZ had the haircut not happened? I'd say she wouldn't be as great as a character.

Yeah you're right. I do have to wonder what would have happen if Serena never cutted her hair, how would her character have developed in XYZ since this series was a lot more darker then the XY series, i don't think she would have been an interesting character if she didn't cut her long hair.

Last edited:

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I guess cutting her hair and changing outfit was bold, by doing that she showed that she was a risk-taker, something she never was before.

Years
Yeah you're right. I do have to wonder what would have happen if Serena never cutted her hair, how would her character have developed in XYZ since this series was a lot more darker then the XY series, i don't think she would have been an interesting character if she didn't cut her long hair.

If you remember, she originally depended on her mother for things. The haircut was to show her becoming more independent and focusing fully on her goal.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
I'm probably biased since I like short hair on women in general (Whether it be Anime or IRL)

But there's something about the new look that grabbed me immediately. The design just pop's and quite literally unique since Anime Serena's outfit and hair cut aren't options in the games.

Short hair chestnut hair accented by the reddish-pink fedora, The pink one-piece dress contrasting beautifully with the blue ribbon that's the centerpiece of the entire look, accompanied by the red sleeveless jacket, dark grey stockings, and those boots...

It looked perfect, it honestly and made me fanboy for a couple of minutes when I first saw it.

I feel that the OG outfit doesn't fit her at all. Since her proportions really aren't similar to her Video game counterpart, the outfit becomes bland and unnatural to look at times. Her figure just wasn't suited for her outfit I feel, the long hair also didn't help since at times it made her look thinner than she already was... not to mention making her head look bigger body at times...

Spoiler:

The Black as a primary color also didn't fit well with her, with Pink or Red honestly looking better on her hands down, long hair or otherwise.

Spoiler:

Also since we're talking about design, here some of my fav serena fan art XD
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
If you remember, she originally depended on her mother for things. The haircut was to show her becoming more independent and focusing fully on her goal.

When she first started her Journey, she did rely on her mother a whole lot. When she cut her hair she started to become more mature and dependent then ever before, and put more focus onto her goals.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
When she first started her Journey, she did rely on her mother a whole lot. When she cut her hair she started to become more mature and dependent then ever before, and put more focus onto her goals.

Meant Independent I do believe no? The haircut was a symbolic change to her character and a turning point in her development. I like both designs but the more I look at them, I'm leaning more towards her second design. The boots still turn me off but the rest of it just flows better than her first variant.

Years
I'm probably biased since I like short hair on women in general (Whether it be Anime or IRL)

But there's something about the new look that grabbed me immediately. The design just pop's and quite literally unique since Anime Serena's outfit and hair cut aren't options in the games.

Short hair chestnut hair accented by the reddish-pink fedora, The pink one-piece dress contrasting beautifully with the blue ribbon that's the centerpiece of the entire look, accompanied by the red sleeveless jacket, dark grey stockings, and those boots...

It looked perfect, it honestly and made me fanboy for a couple of minutes when I first saw it.

I feel that the OG outfit doesn't fit her at all. Since her proportions really aren't similar to her Video game counterpart, the outfit becomes bland and unnatural to look at times. Her figure just wasn't suited for her outfit I feel, the long hair also didn't help since at times it made her look thinner than she already was... not to mention making her head look bigger body at times...

Spoiler:

The Black as a primary color also didn't fit well with her, with Pink or Red honestly looking better on her hands down, long hair or otherwise.

Spoiler:

Also since we're talking about design, here some of my fav serena fan art XD
Spoiler:

Great opinions there Cid, and I can definitely understand you. I didn't mind Serena's original design but you do bring up a point that her anime self needed to be a bit different considering she was portrayed to be a 10-year-old like Ash, whereas she looked much older in the games.

The new design definitely stands out better, especially with all the colour it has and the combination of the clothing items. The closest thing from it to something in the games was the fedora, since one of the fedora options was red. While brown was one of the colours for the boot options in the game, the boots in-game were much taller than the ones Serena was wearing. Heck, even the short hair option in the games looks even shorter than anime Serena's short hair.

The blue ribbon is the most iconic part of the outfit, since it's popular with AmourShippers. Basically, the new design fitted her image better, and definitely suited her since she's into fashion herself. You can tell the pink dress was something she likely made all by herself, since her black top was shown underneath.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Meant Independent I do believe no? The haircut was a symbolic change to her character and a turning point in her development. I like both designs but the more I look at them, I'm leaning more towards her second design. The boots still turn me off but the rest of it just flows better than her first variant.

I argee with you.

While i did like her second design, i wasn't a fan of her boots. They just didn't seem to really fit her design at all.

Back