• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Monokid

Years

Update

Just posting to say that this is not dead, I am still working on it and I'm working my way back to where I was before my computer died and I lost everything. The plus side is that I'm now uploading everything to Dropbox, so I won't have to go through this again. Thanks for the posts of support guys!
monokid___screenshot_1_by_sphericalice-d4jcngq.png

This is the updated titlescreen. I feel it looks a lot cleaner now.
monokid___screenshot_8_by_sphericalice-d4jz9xi.png

I've also cleaned up this part of the introduction cutscene, adding some more shading to the wizard and removing some out-of-style effects. Thanks still go to Cilerba for the epic pixelling though! :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Dropbox is an amazing piece of holy programming divinity. I would advise all developers to have their work to be backed up there. But also backed up to a separate HDD periodically. I back up mine every two weeks.

In any case, I regret not posting here sooner. It's really nice to see more original games here, I cant wait to move this one to the showcase in the future! Do you plan on allowing joypad functionality? I certainly hope it's not mouse based, given that it's a platformer. Regardless, this one looks real interesting and I look forward to seeing it progress. Good luck with it guys!

Years
Dropbox is an amazing piece of holy programming divinity. I would advise all developers to have their work to be backed up there. But also backed up to a separate HDD periodically. I back up mine every two weeks.

In any case, I regret not posting here sooner. It's really nice to see more original games here, I cant wait to move this one to the showcase in the future! Do you plan on allowing joypad functionality? I certainly hope it's not mouse based, given that it's a platformer. Regardless, this one looks real interesting and I look forward to seeing it progress. Good luck with it guys!

Indeed it is.

Thanks. As for the joypad functionality, I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing this, but it does use the keyboard: z to fire, arrow keys to move, spacebar to jump, etc. Thanks for the post :D

Years

You are absolutely right, i have lost all my pictures in a hdd problem once. Now with 25gb dropbox, i put everything in there, edit them in dropbox too so if i have done anything wrong, i can restore the previous version ^^ Why need backing up every two weeks when you can backup right after you changed it :badsmile:

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
Fantastic job, this game is like a beacon in the wasteland known as the beginning showcase.

Nice to see this back, especially because I'm the one who told Cilerba that you all should get Monokid going again heh

Years
Spoiler contains a relatively large gif file, dont open if you have a bad internet connection :3
Spoiler:
Just a little example of a planned feature, paint blocks, which only activate when Monokid has collected Paint from Paint brushes (and eventually buckets). You then use Paint to kill enemies, solve puzzles, etc.

I also remade Monokid's sprite, as it was too large and this version will be easier to animate :3
I realise that jump can't be made, and Monokid's spazzing eye has been fixed. Oh, I've not made the HUD yet, and that background is a placeholder. Okay I'm sorry, enough excuses fineprint, lol.

Thanks for everyone who's voted for Monokid in the Spotlight, it means so much you guys <3

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Oooo, I like this.
I presume the brushes will be in different places hard to reach and such.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I didn't mean rare, per se.
But as of such, they get more challenging to reach over time?

Years
They get more challenging to reach over time?
Depending on the situation, possibly :3

MgYnM.png
EPYyI.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqea5krLR1g

A quick video to show the progress I've made so far. Not much, but I'm personally quite proud :3

An idea I have for this is that all levels start off black and white, and gradually get more colourful as you gain more paint, or maybe as you get further in the levels, but I'm not sure how distracting a mechanic this will be. So, what do you guys think is the best plan of action? Do you think it'd be a good idea. I'll edit this post with a few mockups of how the screens would look.

Edit
Here's a proof of concept of the black and white idea. This image is animated, but it has a bit of a delay so as to not bombard you with colours :3
HdqPh.gif

-

Thanks so much guys, by the way, for voting for Monokid in the Spotlight of the Month. It means so much to see your support! <3

Last edited:

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
This is looking really really good!!
A question though, will 1 paintbrush make all of the colour blocks solid? Because that's what it seems like here. Or is that just a debug feature?

Years
This is looking really really good!!
A question though, will 1 paintbrush make all of the colour blocks solid? Because that's what it seems like here. Or is that just a debug feature?

I'm not 100% sure yet. I might make it so paintbrushes unlock blocks of their respective colours, that would make more sense and include more challenge. I'm not sure yet, though.

Anyway, here's an awesome HUD designed by the Cilerba.

fRdjW.png

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
I'm not 100% sure yet. I might make it so paintbrushes unlock blocks of their respective colours, that would make more sense and include more challenge. I'm not sure yet, though.

Anyway, here's an awesome HUD designed by the Cilerba.

fRdjW.png
Cool!
But yeah, in all the previous videos and gifs, all the blocks are activated by one paintbrush. Unlocking blocks by their respective colour would be good.

Back