• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Indigo League

A few questions about the camera (fill out after you try the newest beta)

• Total voters
Years
I didn't mean to seem as if I was taking offense, I am a very easy-going person. I just don't always have a lot of time so I have to use my words quickly and manage to get my point across without seeming rude..
No problem if you don't like the trees, but I probably won't change them again..
By the way, this isn't a hack, it has an [RMXP] tag so it is made with RMXP. The hacks have their own sub-forum and we try not to confuse them..
Thanks for your support :)

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
I didn't mean to seem as if I was taking offense, I am a very easy-going person. I just don't always have a lot of time so I have to use my words quickly and manage to get my point across without seeming rude..
No problem if you don't like the trees, but I probably won't change them again..
By the way, this isn't a hack, it has an [RMXP] tag so it is made with RMXP. The hacks have their own sub-forum and we try not to confuse them..
Thanks for your support :)

Oh right sorry about that. I edited my post. Anyway, don't worry about the trees, its just something i don't like. Good luck and i'll keep checking back.

Years
  • Seen Dec 22, 2009
Looks real nice. First game I've seen going from Ash's point of view. I like games that aren't going strictly by the plot line. No choices to be made in games with strict plot lines.

Years
Hey thanks :)
Small update, here is a sneak peak at route 1, this is the part where Ash falls off the cliff (when being chased by a flock of spearow) and gets washed downstream. It was really hard for me to get the perspective right here so I hope everyone is happy with the result..
foqbzk.png

Also, Yuoaman and riceeman have offered to help out with mapping so we'll see what they can do :) I'll update the 1st post when they submit a map to me.

Last edited:

alienXL

White Raikou Master!
Years
  • Seen Apr 5, 2019
Mate i was waiting for a hack like this... why it was just 10 minutes ago i was saying to myself they should so do a hack where you lived as ash did in the anime!

Keep up the good work... need any help and i will see what i can do ;)

jefffan3

Devolping A New Game Now......
Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2015
Mate i was waiting for a hack like this... why it was just 10 minutes ago i was saying to myself they should so do a hack where you lived as ash did in the anime!

Keep up the good work... need any help and i will see what i can do ;)

Their are a few lol......

Years
Hey thanks for the comments.. I've fixed the waterfall, episode 1 is finished. The game is starting to lag a little on big maps with so many events placed, but I feel like an average computer won't lag as much as my laptop..
I'll update with some screenshots tomorrow, Still no word on any maps from the 2 volunteer mappers, but I have managed to make connecting maps all the way to viridian city by myself.. As well as some creative thinking on the gfx side of things.. Should be a good update soon hopefully :)

Misty4Life

~Paired with a bribed shipper~
Years
Well, if you still need "anyone who has an encyclopedic knowledge of the tv show to help craft the storyline," I've watched seasons 1-7 and own the first one. I'll work out as many details on the storyline as needed, although I'm not sure I'll be much help overall because I know absolutely nothing about creating the game. (spriting, mapping, etc.) This looks like it will turn out to be an amazing game and I would love to help out if I can.

lizardman974

I'm honestly just that awesome
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2013
If you want this to be as close to the anime as possible, when you put in the pokedex entries, go here, and choose the pokemon who's data you need. Look for the pokedex entries after click on the pokemon, and look for the data that Ash's pokedex used. Use that data in the game. Unfortunately, not all of the original pokemon has had their data entered in Ash's pokedex.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
Its good to see anime remakes for gamin use, but yet haven't seen one which is a game (beside hacks). Good Luck and looks promising.

Years
Why does everyone keep saying the sprites are clashing? I think I have been looking at
OW sprites too long because I really can't tell what you mean.. I've changed a lot of the r/s
sprites to fr/lg (in the intro) because they match the player and a couple of other sprites I've used, but
please tell me specifically what you mean because I see no clash...
Also, if you didn't like that then you will probably not like the officer jenny sprite I
modded into a fr/lg sprite from a d/p sprite I think it was.. :/ I can't do anything right..

I'll see what I can do reguarding the spoiler tags, but I'm out of time atm.. So later sorry..

Grr.. I'm very mad at myself for not posting screens when I said I would..
I have been having some very serious problems in life, but I've pretty much
finished sorting most of them out.. Internet access has been quite hard for me to
get for a while so I haven't been able to post any of the progress I've made
until now.. I'm working hard to make things better atm so I haven't done any
work on the game at all in the past week, but I will soon have things
back to normal.. I'll have wireless internet again soon and you can expect
daily updates. But I have actually done a lot of work that went under the radar.

Anyway.. Storyline npc's are completed all the way to Viridian City..
Viridian Pokecenter resembles the anime equivalent. Episode 2 is almost
complete, I've already finished all the gfx.. In case I haven't already let
anyone know, I changed the windmill in pallet from a 26-frame tileset animation
(which needed 21 events to operate) to a simple picture rotation which rotates
much better, but has problems staying in the right place with movement.. I
did as much as I could with scripts and events, but I could only make it slightly
noticable, it's half as bad as it used to be though..
Oh and another thing, I've been slowly adding music to PIL and now there's
music in all the expected places. So far, I'm just trying to give the
game a happy upbeat feel, the routes have more adventurous kind of music
so it's quite varied but it meshes nicely.
Also, rmxp's method of playing midi files uses the onboard midi sound fx
and I'm not sure whether there are any scripts for using any available alternative
sound hardware... There are parts I can hear with windows media player that
don't come though as well with the rmxp midi player, so some bgm has been converted
to .wav form..
Another thing, atm there are little glitches with bgm during cut-scenes
because of the auto-change bgm function on maps.. I was thinking of not using it
and just having player-touch triggered events to play bgm for towns/routes
but I don't really think it's a valid option effort-wise for the desired
result.. Also I'm trying to keep the amount of events and processing to a
minimum.
I've sourced music from various mega-man games, medabots rokusho version and various
pokemon games.. I've included the music I have, only because there is no distinguishing
difference in style, some out of respect and some just for the simple fact that
it sounds nice.
People usually don't listen to the music in these games anyway (I
think it adds to the overall experience and it's part of the critique of the
game, but do whatever you want..)
I've used a few sound fx from the show as well because I couldn't find a
suitable replacement during some scenes..

I'm really happy with how the game is progressing, I think I really picked
a good game to make. Usually my problem is running out of steam creating
original content to fill the game with, but with a storyline already defined
and so much content to source from, my new problems are that I can't sprite
fast enough to keep up with the show (considering how belated this game
is). I have constant inspiration because I'm making the game I always wished
existed, and I'm bringing it to life in a way that will (hopefully) be what
every old skool pokemon fan envisions when they think of the pokemon tv show
as a game.

Oh hey! I have finished a simple "Who's That Pokemon?!?!" call, that emulates
what happens on the show.. (Sadly, I could not get the sprite to turn black,
so I used a sub render and added rotation instead, it is actually quite hard for some
pokemon.. I know the real WTPkmn doesn't have rotation but I added it anyway,
call me crazy.) I'll upload a video to the 1st post.
I'm gonna make another version where you can pick between 4 random pokemon
names (1 being the right one) for a side-game.. Not sure when I'll find a place
for it but I will.. There is going to be an arcade of some kind perhaps in saffron
city.. I haven't officially decided yet..

I have updated the 8-way movement video because now you can see
npc's diagonal walking frames (and that includes your follower)
so it looks much better now :)
I've also uploaded a video to the first post showcasing the animated title
screen. It looks much better now, you'll see my scripts in action emulating
the sliding random pokemon (always starting with pikachu) and looping background
and you can hear the music for the first time, yay!

Oh, some cool news, Stringshot has been altered to include a bind effect in battle (as in episode 3).
It really is quite inspiring having all these little details sync up.
I'm really starting to enjoy working with these systems so
be prepared for a very unique game.

I know I said I would post screens, so here are some screens.. ^_^

Meeting officer Jenny
swuudx.jpg

My motorbike sprite (Turned out much better than I expected)
sgrbyx.jpg

Rockets & balloon, (pixelated I know, but still give feedback I can use plz)
n688yg.jpg

Viridian PokeCenter front desk
2h54mcn.jpg

While I'm thinking of it, some characters at the start of the show don't get an introduction
(nurse joy and jenny) Their names come up in background scenes and they haven't had a
proper introduction as of yet, but it may be explained to ash in later episodes.. (I think
I remember a scene of someone (brock I think) explaining about all the nurse joy's to ash, but that's not
for a few more episodes I think..) I'll get it sorted later, it's not overly important..

So, a big update to make up for all the time that's passed. I hope it be enough
to draw some attention to this game.
I don't normally set time limits for demos and this is no exception, so I will
just keep working on the game until I feel that the full gameplay experience
is available ;). Spriting is really the only thing slowing me down, I have to recolour
a lot of sprites after making a charset from spritesheets..
The game is turning out moderately text-heavy with all of the anime lines
transcripted(made up word) into game messages, but there is a few cut-scenes at the beginning
of the game where you don't have to press any buttons, so it's very easy to bear
(I may eventually make all scenes like this, but it can take a long time and a lot
of tweaking to get the timing right). But I would liken it to.. Tales of eternia for
storyline-cutscene/actual-gameplay ratio... This will only happen until a certain
part of the game has been completed and then free-roaming gameplay will be unlocked.
I haven't given too much away I hope.. But that is when a demo will be released.
Ok look at the size of this post, that's enough from me.. I'll keep everyone updated..
The next time I'm able to post, that is..
PS. Don't forget to check out the new vids in the 1st post, or right here:
Title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyVdMbK7i9E
8-way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmtl13nnUM
WTP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4HFSHCwFJ4

Best wishes everyone, I'll post again I promise. Just sussing out when..

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
So this is supposed to be a game-version of the 1st season of the anime, more so than Pokemon Yellow? Awesome! (The fact that you even thought to put in the, "Who's that Pokemon?!," is impressive...)

Back