• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The best tier?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So we all have different tier preferences - some say OU is the best, others say other tiers are more balanced due to so and so, etc. Which tier is your favourite, which tier do you consider the most balanced, what got you into the tier you prefer the most and why should others play in the tier you do? Discuss! Feel free to reply to other peoples posts and kindly disagree and bring up your own points about why you should play in that tier.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well there's really not a "best" tier, they are all too different to be compared. I like OU and NU, though OU is starting to get boring because it's just all the same. I don't really care for whatever the "best" might be, as long as it's fun.

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2012
I hate tiers, lol. Thats why I dont do super competetive battles, I just like everything except ubers

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2012
I'm not sure I understand the tiers. It'd be nice to get a description of each.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm not sure I understand the tiers. It'd be nice to get a description of each.

Sure. :3

OU = OverUsed, the main tier people basically play in. It features stuff like Terrakion/Rotom-W/Scizor/Landorus, and so on, and basically the default tier for CBC (aka what most people play).

Ubers = Those too overpowered to play in OU, which is where the overpowered ones are kind of... evened out. It features stuff like Kyogre, and not necessarily all legends, some non-legends too, like Excadrill for example.

UU = UnderUsed, the ones that aren't used enough to be in OU but are used a lot more than the other lower tiers. A lot of these Pokemon often appear in OU.

RU = RarelyUsed, basically not used often enough to be in UU or OU but are used more than Pokemon in NU.

NU = NeverUsed, the lowest of the tiers (other than LC), which is for the ones that don't fit into any other tiers due to usage, which as a result makes the group much larger than the others.

LC = Pokemon that aren't evolved @ level 5.

BL/BL2 = Pokemon that don't fit into the tiers "above" since they don't have the usage for that tier, but they don't fit in the tier they were in already, so as a result they're stuck in BL.

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2014
The best tier is NU. There's so many possibilities for unique teams, unique styles, and unique battles. It's so much fun to play. c:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
OKAY THIS ISN'T DEAD YET GOOD.

I never answered my own question!! But yeah, after just battling OU in a row and then NU and the fact OU just made me annoyed... ya NU is now my favourite, lol. NU Pokemon > OU Pokemon (for meee).

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Nu and ubers are the best tiers ive played this gen.

Nu is pretty balanced and so is ubers. The latter is actually more balanced than OU which i find absolutely hilarious. OU is just a terrible metagame thats beyond hope, so there is no point in even caring about it anymore.

Havent played UU and RU.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
I like OU, but it's always disappointing how so many of my favorite pokes are in NU. BUT, Espeon is OU now, so I'm much happier XD

Vezon Dash

Commodore
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2012
Ubers is my personal favorite tier. You can use anything you want, and it takes a lot of predictions to have a substantial advantage over your opponents. Even teams of 6 NU guys can hold their own in ubers.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
Why are there tiers if you can go against an Uber team with a NU team??? lol.
What purpose do the tiers actually serve? to seperate the laid back battles from extreme trainers/collectors?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Why are there tiers if you can go against an Uber team with a NU team??? lol.
What purpose do the tiers actually serve? to seperate the laid back battles from extreme trainers/collectors?

Well because that's kinda people's choice. A NU player can challenge an Ubers player if they really want, although they should keep in mind that ubers is a lot different to nu, and thus each team isn't prepared for the threats the other team is. However, if you're trying to ladder - then while a NU player can battle in ubers, an ubers player can't battle in nu because that's way too unfair for the nu players. Does that make sense? But yeah, tiers separate what is most commonly used/what is too broken etc, tiers don't separate the laid back battles - funnily enough most general battlers who don't play competitively are either in nu or ubers, because the most popular Pokemon, for example Charizard and Arceus, are in those tiers. However, to them it's not tiers - it's just battling. To the rest of us, it's tiers, so they don't really separate because tiers exist in both environments but they're not acknowledged in that. I really hope that made sense, lol. :x

tj4bigred

Instant Classic
Years
This is a tough question to answer. I like Little Cup because calculating EVs are tougher and it gives Pokémon whose evolutions are pretty unused (such as Lickitung and Carvahna) a chance to shine.

I mostly battled OU until I came here, and I learned the ropes to NU somewhat (at least the basic counters and checks). Right now my favorite tier is NU because I hate auto-weather.

It also has more Pokémon and therefore more variety. That means more to prepare for.

CalciferFireDmn

Fire Demon
Years
I like OU bcause you can use from any set besides ubers (that take the fun out). So if you wanna build a team of your favorite mostly UU or NU pokemon go ahead. You'll just have a better challenge by playing in OU.

Back