• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 30, 2012
Fixing missing POKEMON in start menu

Hello everybody!

I was recently playing a non-hacked version of Leaf Green. Just while messing around with some AR/GS coding, I lost the option to select "POKEMON" from the start menu. I'm guessing I turned off a flag that I didn't mean to.

Do you guys think I can go in on advance map or something and just flip it back?
If so, some pointers would be nice. I've done some hacking before but never any games of this Generation.

Thanks guys,
~Zach

Years
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
Trying out this FR base rom but the height levels are messed up any idea what can be wrong?

base by TB Pro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Hello everybody!

I was recently playing a non-hacked version of Leaf Green. Just while messing around with some AR/GS coding, I lost the option to select "POKEMON" from the start menu. I'm guessing I turned off a flag that I didn't mean to.

Do you guys think I can go in on advance map or something and just flip it back?
If so, some pointers would be nice. I've done some hacking before but never any games of this Generation.

Thanks guys,
~Zach

You should be able to get that start menu option back by making a script in XSE with the command 'setflag 0x828'. Interact with that script n-game and the option will reappear.

Trying out this FR base rom but the height levels are messed up any idea what can be wrong?

base by TB Pro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair

In your first picture, the tile behaviours don't appear to be correct. Open the tileset editor in advance map, select the tile that is obscuring the player's head, open the 'background byte' selection bar and scroll down to/ select "Block is covered by hero".

As for the second picture, you shouldn't use the Movement Permission 0 throughout your map - C is the standard permission for regular ground.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hey Everyone, I have a Question about using Unlz.gba for introduction hacking.

I've looked through tutorials and I see the number to edit the fire red hero in Unlz.gba is 341 & clicking the black/white box. However, when I go to that number in my rom, he does not appear. In an un-edited fire red rom, I went to 349(it wasn't in 341 in this one either) and I saw the fire red hero there. So what gives? All I did in my Edited rom was add pokemon and change a few maps/created scripts.

My question is, do the number for the introduction hero sprite change? I never tried to change the hero before until now in my edited rom, so I don't understand why it was not in 341 or 349.
Is there any way for me to find it so I can change it? It's pretty much one of the very few things preventing me from releasing a beta of my rom and I would appriciate any help in finding where it is in unlz.gba. Thank You.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hey Everyone, I have a Question about using Unlz.gba for introduction hacking.

I've looked through tutorials and I see the number to edit the fire red hero in Unlz.gba is 341 & clicking the black/white box. However, when I go to that number in my rom, he does not appear. In an un-edited fire red rom, I went to 349(it wasn't in 341 in this one either) and I saw the fire red hero there. So what gives? All I did in my Edited rom was add pokemon and change a few maps/created scripts.

My question is, do the number for the introduction hero sprite change? I never tried to change the hero before until now in my edited rom, so I don't understand why it was not in 341 or 349.
Is there any way for me to find it so I can change it? It's pretty much one of the very few things preventing me from releasing a beta of my rom and I would appriciate any help in finding where it is in unlz.gba. Thank You.

You said you "added" POKéMON and change a few maps.
That would mean that you have assigned the new inserted graphics to your ROM, and they are now holding new numbers instead of their default.
If you haven't touched the main character yet, then I am sure it's still there, but you'll have to find it for yourself.

In my current hack (Ruby hack), I replaced the old PKMN with new poses, and of course, I need to repoint them.
Repointing them can change the images' order in Unlz-GBA.
So, before, Bulbasaur was around 800+, but now, he moved in 200+ or so.

Just look for the one you're looking for.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
You should be able to get that start menu option back by making a script in XSE with the command 'setflag 0x828'. Interact with that script n-game and the option will reappear.

In your first picture, the tile behaviours don't appear to be correct. Open the tileset editor in advance map, select the tile that is obscuring the player's head, open the 'background byte' selection bar and scroll down to/ select "Block is covered by hero".

As for the second picture, you shouldn't use the Movement Permission 0 throughout your map - C is the standard permission for regular ground.

I'd like to add that this flag must be given by a npc rather than a tile. Stumbled upon this problem a while ago so I thought I'd share :p

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
`
You said you "added" POKéMON and change a few maps.
That would mean that you have assigned the new inserted graphics to your ROM, and they are now holding new numbers instead of their default.
If you haven't touched the main character yet, then I am sure it's still there, but you'll have to find it for yourself.

In my current hack (Ruby hack), I replaced the old PKMN with new poses, and of course, I need to repoint them.
Repointing them can change the images' order in Unlz-GBA.
So, before, Bulbasaur was around 800+, but now, he moved in 200+ or so.

Just look for the one you're looking for.

It worked! I looked thru all of the numbers & it was 448. Thank you So Much!

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2016
i was redirected here by and admin/mod for my request.

I am brand friggin new, and honestly, only joined to get help with hacking.

I can do just about everything except script. Making people talk is easy. There's like a thousand youtube videos on it.

My request is: Can anyone sit down with me and teach me script from the ground up.

I have been working on a completely new gen of pokemon and have been working on replacing pokemon in the pokedex with them. However, i want to have my own story events at the beginning.

I am also working on a digimon spin-off lol. It'll be awesome. I haven't found a decent digimon ROM hack yet, so i want mine to be perfect!

That's about it.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
i was redirected here by and admin/mod for my request.

I am brand friggin new, and honestly, only joined to get help with hacking.

I can do just about everything except script. Making people talk is easy. There's like a thousand youtube videos on it.

My request is: Can anyone sit down with me and teach me script from the ground up.

I have been working on a completely new gen of pokemon and have been working on replacing pokemon in the pokedex with them. However, i want to have my own story events at the beginning.

I am also working on a digimon spin-off lol. It'll be awesome. I haven't found a decent digimon ROM hack yet, so i want mine to be perfect!

That's about it.

When you say "new gen", do you mean you're hacking a newer gen, i.e. Gen V or Gen IV, or are you "creating" your own gen, i.e adding completely nonexistant and designed by you Pokemon and region and everything, by hacking a Gen III or lower game? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to help you, so long as it's Gen III. Anything higher (or lower) I cant help you with, because I don't know how to script with it. Send me a PM if you need a scripting teacher for Gen III, otherwise, I won't be able to help.

redriders180

Years
So it appears removeitem doesn't work for Key Items. How would one go about removing a key item?
I'm using FireRed, if that is of any consollation.

I just did a very quick test, and I was able to use removitem to remove both the Good Rod, which is a sort of minor item, and the TM Case, which is a sort of major item, and it worked fine. What are you trying to remove?

Edit: I was able to answer your question 3 minutes after you asked that...I think that's concrete proof I spend way to much time here...meh XD

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2016
When you say "new gen", do you mean you're hacking a newer gen, i.e. Gen V or Gen IV, or are you "creating" your own gen, i.e adding completely nonexistant and designed by you Pokemon and region and everything, by hacking a Gen III or lower game? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to help you, so long as it's Gen III. Anything higher (or lower) I cant help you with, because I don't know how to script with it. Send me a PM if you need a scripting teacher for Gen III, otherwise, I won't be able to help.

Sorry. I meant "recreate" gens 3 and below.

Also, i attempted to IM you from your profile page, but it gives me a URL ERROR

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I'm at a loss as to using the feature in jpan's hacked engine to change where you end up when you whiteout, can anyone explain how to set this up?

redriders180

Years
I'm at a loss as to using the feature in jpan's hacked engine to change where you end up when you whiteout, can anyone explain how to set this up?

JPANs hack engine no longer provides use to the "sethealingplace" command, using three variables instead. All you have to do is use setvar on three variables, and you'll whiteout in any place you want. The variables are set up like this:

Variable 0x405A is the map and bank, laid out like 0xMMbb, with MM being the map number and bb being the bank number, in hex of course. For example, if you want to white out at map 5, in bank 6, you would use setvar 0x405A 0x0506. Or, if you wanted to white out at map 3, in bank 7, you would use setvar 0x405A 0x0307.

Variable 0x405B is the X coordinate of where you wipe out, as seen in Advance Map.

Variable 0x405C is the Y coordinate of where you wipe out, as seen in Advance Map.

All you have to do is set those variables in a level script in a Pokemon Center or any other place you want to wipe out at. Because of this, Variables 0x405A, 0x405B, and 0x405C shouldn't be used at all in other scripts.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Hello. I am making a hack of Pokemon FireRed and I have just started. I began with trying to add a new floor into the player's house in Pallet Town. So basically, instead of the player going downstairs and coming in the first floor of the house, they would come down to a hallway with another staircase at the end that takes them all the way downstairs.

So I inserted the new map by clicking the "Insert Map" shortcut at the top and I changed the size to suit my needs and then did all the mapping, changed the movement permissions, put all of my new warps in (Warps are the only events in the new map) and I linked the warp between the bottom of the stairs here, and the top of the stairs up in the player's room. I'm almost positive that everything is linked correctly and I've tried several different tile behaviors on the top and bottom of the stairs, but I'm still getting the problem.

The problem is that when I go down the stairs, I get a black screen, as if the map didn't load. The music still plays, but I'm pretty sure I can't move (even though I couldn't see if I could). I have tried linking the player's room (which is currently unchanged, though I plan to change it) to the bottom floor (which is also unchanged, but it will be changed again) and that works, but going to the created floor does not. Everything links up right in Advance Map and everything, but just not when I play through it in VBA.

Thank you to anybody who can help, I'm sorry about my long-windedness but I wanted to give as much information as possible. If you have any questions or if I should make a new topic or move this or anything, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks again!

Edit: I am using Advance Map by the way, I forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2012
Alright, I've searched the thread and I don't think my particular issue has been asked about before.

Information about what I'm using:
FireRed Rom (English)
VisualBoyAdvance
Pokemon Editor (From the GBA Pokemon Game Editor by [FONT=&quot]Gamer2020 and 0xRH[/FONT]) (I've also attempted YASE with no luck).
A-Starter
A-Trainer

Issue:
I am unable to change how some pokemon evolve. To describe my issue, I am will use an Eevee.
I used A-Starter to change one of my starters to an Eevee, and set my starter to hold a Moon Stone.
I then used Pokemon Editor to change Eevee to evolve into Umbreon with a Moon Stone, and Espeon with a Sun Stone.

I immediately upon entering game attempt to use the Moon Stone to evolve Eevee. It begins the animation for evolution, but then halts and declares "...huh?" and I am returned to the item inventory screen.

I attempted to solve this myself by using a clean FireRed ROM, making the change to an Eevee Starter, and then use YASE to attempt the changes; this time fully deleting the evolution options for Eevee, and then reattaching them with the appropriate flags in YASE. Again, I start the ROM from a clean save and attempt immediately, before facing my rival; same issue occurs.

I continue the save file and attempt after I receive the Pokedex, as well.

Can someone please advise me of what I've done wrong, or suggest any possible fixes?

redriders180

Years
Alright, I've searched the thread and I don't think my particular issue has been asked about before.

Information about what I'm using:
FireRed Rom (English)
VisualBoyAdvance
Pokemon Editor (From the GBA Pokemon Game Editor by [FONT=&quot]Gamer2020 and 0xRH[/FONT]) (I've also attempted YASE with no luck).
A-Starter
A-Trainer

Issue:
I am unable to change how some pokemon evolve. To describe my issue, I am will use an Eevee.
I used A-Starter to change one of my starters to an Eevee, and set my starter to hold a Moon Stone.
I then used Pokemon Editor to change Eevee to evolve into Umbreon with a Moon Stone, and Espeon with a Sun Stone.

I immediately upon entering game attempt to use the Moon Stone to evolve Eevee. It begins the animation for evolution, but then halts and declares "...huh?" and I am returned to the item inventory screen.

I attempted to solve this myself by using a clean FireRed ROM, making the change to an Eevee Starter, and then use YASE to attempt the changes; this time fully deleting the evolution options for Eevee, and then reattaching them with the appropriate flags in YASE. Again, I start the ROM from a clean save and attempt immediately, before facing my rival; same issue occurs.

I continue the save file and attempt after I receive the Pokedex, as well.

Can someone please advise me of what I've done wrong, or suggest any possible fixes?

This problem actually happens extremely often, and I think it's been asked alot on here. In Firered, the only Pokemon that evolve are Pokemon from Gen I, unless you have the National Dex. This is to prevent Golbat evolving into Crobat, Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon, etc. etc. To fix, enable the National Dex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back