• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you tend to keep or use your Master Ball?

Years
what the title says

bc personally I keep telling myself I'll use my Master Ball eventually but it just sits in my bag forever

Reactions: Bug

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
I keep it. I pretty much force myself to not try and use it because I find them hard to retrieve.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I don't think I've ever not used my Master Ball in any save file I've had. I usually use it on the mascot legendary rather than throwing about 50 Ultra Balls at it.

Years
I've actually stopped using the master ball, since I prefer catching things in other balls. I SR and Synchronize for good IVs so going all the way and making my hard work really show by catching the mon in something fancy feels great. :}

Years
I usually end up using it on a legendary with very low capture rate if it takes a while and I've got bored of restarting.

Sorvete

Novice
Years
I always tend to have this mentality, like: "If I use this Master Ball, I won't be able to get other again", so I never actually use it at all. :P Besides, I don't think I'd even need it, since I rarely catch legendary pokémon in my playthroughs, which I think are what the Master Ball is intended for catching.

Last edited:
Years
I used to employ my Master Ball for the first legendary I came across because I believed that it was the only possible way. Then after a while somebody informed me that I could get them with Pokeballs with only a little more effort. Since then I've been tethered to the routine of buying 50 fucking million Pokeballs and spending hours mindlessly hurling them at the likes of Rayquaza, Cobalion and Groudon while going broke.

I refrain nowadays because I always have the expectation that I'll come across an epic legendary and return to old ways. Last time I did it was with Mewtwo, I believe. Much more fun.

Years
I always save my Master Ball for random encounter shiny Pokemon, and the last time I actually used one was on a shiny Ducklett in White. Even times where I've been lucky enough to come across multiple Master Balls in a playthrough, I still just let them sit in my bag otherwise, even if it would save time and headaches on certain legendaries.

Years
I never use the Master Ball, or any item that's gone forever once used (such as most TMs in Gens 1-4).

In Gen 1, I always leave the Master Ball with the Silph Co President, since I think well if I'm not gonna use it, it might as well not be taking up an item slot, and I can always go get it if I ever change my mind, which I never would xD.

Years
As a kid, I always used my Master Ball on the main legendary of the game because I was paranoid that I would accidentally faint it and wouldn't be able to get another.

Recently, one of my quirks has been to catch everything in Poké Balls. (Not exactly sure why.) So, my Master Ball is just sitting in my bag for emergencies only. Like finding a shiny and being out of Balls.

Years
I used Master Ball when I was younger on Mewtwo in Yellow, Lugia/Ho-oh in Crystal (I'm not sure which one it was) and Kyogre in Sapphire. That Sapphire run was also the reason why I've never ever used Master Ball again on my main save. Why? Because I spent eternity chasing down Latias and trying to catch it. IIRC I've never caught it and that save was lost long time ago, so I'll never will. But if I had Master Ball, I could've caught it.
I remember using Master Ball on Shiny Seel during one of my Fire Red runs this year just for fun and because I had no other Pokéball. But it was on the ROM, so it was useless anyway...

Years
I always save my Master Ball for later but later never comes and it just sits there.

If a legendary shiny or a shiny that could flee appeared then it would be thrown no question.

malanaphii

i'm about to monologue, son
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 17, 2023
i'd always use it as a kid, but now i'd usually rather fight battles with legendaries and try rather than just use a master ball

Coldnx

Ice-Type Enthusiast and Jynx's 1# Fan
Years
I usually save it for the 1st Shiny pokemon I encounter because I have no use for legendaries, in LGP/LGE Master Balls are an unlimited hidden item in the Cerulean Cave so it's no sweat if you want to use it for literally anything.

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
And this thread takes me back to the time i was playing pokemon fire red
I used the masterball on a gyrados(thinking its a rare pokemon)
Then i understood i could have used just an ultra ball and saved the masterball for mewtwo ;-;

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
As a kid I would use it; But since generation 4 and especially since Platinum I enjoyed the challenge and frustration of not being able to get the legendary-- It gives more "feeling" to it, making them more special and worthy of their statuses as legendaries.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I think it depended on the situation when I was younger. Especially if I encountered one fo those who like to flee. As I got older though I didn't use it at all really.

Back