• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poem Of The Week

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

Poem of The Week

Competition

Introduction

Welcome! This is the official Poem Of The Week. This competition is for those who wish to enter their poems which comply with the corrosponding theme, so that they can have some recognition for their amazing talent! At the moment this will be run by myself, Abnegation.Astinus, the Other Writing moderator will be supervising it. However I will be looking for some help in judging in the near future. If you are interested in helping, PM me and state why you would like to judge and we can work something out. If you win Poem Of The Week, you will win an emblem which is displayed in the "details" box on the right.

Poem of the Week is a great to test your skills in the poetry world. You'll also get to see what other people think of how you express your emotions using words.​

Remember to follow all Other Writing and PokeCommunity rules as posted below.​

This Weeks Details

Last Week's Winner
POTW.png

This Week's Hosts

Vendak, Abnegation

This Week's theme
Anything​

Entries must be in by
December the 26th

Rules

• Remember to keep within the Writing rules, the Poem of the Week rules and of course the PC forum wide rules. Also make sure that you post your poem within the timeline which is posted within the "This Week's Details" box.

• First and foremost, NEVER plagiarize work. I will know; I check all poems, even for lyrics. I understand there may be coincidences where your poetry looks like someone else's and that's fine, but make sure it's all your own work.

• You may only post 1 poem relevant to the given theme of the week. If the theme is "anything" just feel free to post any type of poem, with any theme.

• Please only post good feedback on other entries within this thread. By feedback I mean good comments on why you like them rather than full criticism. But it's always nice to post in the thread of the original poem too (if there is one).

• When submitting a poem either post a link to the thread that hosts the poem (must be on PC) or post the poem within the thread, and I will put it up on the first post with the others.

• This is a judging contest, there will be no votes. HOWEVER you may Pm me if you would like to express your love for a particular poem and I will take it into consideration.

• You may post to state that you will be posting a poem and entering. Asking questions and the likes is also fine, all discussion may go within the thread.

• If you are posting a poem please keep it nicely layed out with as little formatting as possible. It's better we don't have big bright text and numerous BB codes. It just makes it a little easier on the eyes, thank you.
So please participate, have fun, don't be shy and always remember your poetry is expression of emotions and experiences, and of course a good effort as well as talent so no matter what you write it will have a chance! I like to judge on emotion and good attempts as well as quality and content, so even if it is your first poem it most certainly stands a fighting chance!

I would also like to state that, if you win POTW, you are given the option to co-host the next competition as well as choose the new theme.​

Submissions

Week one entries.
Theme: Anything
Spoiler:

Week 2 Entries
Theme: Memories
Spoiler:

Week 3
Spoiler:

Week 4
Theme: Love
Spoiler:

Week 5
Theme: Winter

Spoiler:

Week 6 entries
Theme: Green

Spoiler:

Week 7
Theme: Imagination
Spoiler:

Week 8
Theme: Seasons

Spoiler:

Week 9
Theme: Glass
Spoiler:

Week: 10
Theme: Manipulation
Spoiler:

Week 11
Spoiler:

Week 12

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 10, 2015
I've decided to give this a try, and will post my entry/attempt before the week is up~

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
Hi, quick question - you said no writing haiku, as it's too short. However, what about a collection of say, three to five Haiku poems? to be honest, I probably wouldn't do it myself, but I'm kinda curious.

Or how about a collection of linking Haiku, such as:

This contest is good
It should get lots of rewards
Abnegation rocks
For thinking of this cool thing
But would this count, eh?

:D

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Hi, quick question - you said no writing haiku, as it's too short. However, what about a collection of say, three to five Haiku poems? to be honest, I probably wouldn't do it myself, but I'm kinda curious.

This contest is good
Abnegation rocks

Well a collection of Haiku's wouldn't be a haiku any longer would it?
xD So yes that would be fine

Kazukii

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 2, 2009
Yeah I should be giving this a go. Probably later today as school work will busy me during the school days.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years

This contest is good
Abnegation rocks

That's actually a different type of poem altogether.
I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

edit I know that the overall poem type is called a waka and that the 5-liner is called a tanka, but that type of poem ends in a 7-7 couplet.
aieieieieieiee

Barney.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 30, 2015
I'll go emo for you Gavlar.

May enter sometime.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah I should be giving this a go. Probably later today as school work will busy me during the school days.

No pressure, just get your poem in by the 11th if you plan on entering this week

That's actually a different type of poem altogether.
I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

edit I know that the overall poem type is called a waka and that the 5-liner is called a tanka, but that type of poem ends in a 7-7 couplet.
aieieieieieiee

Yeah I can't seem to find a name myself, I've thought of a few different things but they don't entirely fit so I think it's more of a custom poem. (until I can find something that is).

I'll go emo for you Gavlar.

May enter sometime.

Good to see you taking part Joe.

Oo I wanna enter this stuffs. But how many stanzas should we make?
I'm just curious.

That is purely up to you. If you are following a given style then you'll know how many. For example a sonnet might have 3 stanzas and a final 2 line one depending on what way you lay it out. But as I say it's up to you. What looks right to you should be fine ;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Awsome Michii.
Just a reminder guys, all entries for this week will have to be entered by the 11th of September this month. So that's 5 days.
I will announce this week's winner (depending on how many entries I get) early next week. So possibly a few days into next weeks competition. However I will try my best to announce the winner as fast as I can.

Years
I'm entering and I have a question. Are we allowed rewrites/edits or are we stuck with a poem as is once we post it?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm entering and I have a question. Are we allowed rewrites/edits or are we stuck with a poem as is once we post it?

Hmm good question. However I would rather you not rewrite or edit a poem. If it is something minor I will take it into consideration. Try to make sure you are completely happy before entering.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Heyo, potential PotM entry writers. I've already been given permission to help with the hosting, so I just thought I'd let you know. I'm looking forward to reading your entries and...yeah...that's...pretty much it. Well, let's get writin', kids.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Heyo, potential PotM entry writers. I've already been given permission to help with the hosting, so I just thought I'd let you know. I'm looking forward to reading your entries and...yeah...that's...pretty much it. Well, let's get writin', kids.

Thanks for helping out.
SSS will be co-hosting and in case I want to enter SSS will be the main host. (I have to have some fun too right?) xD
But I will be exepmt from juding or anything like that if I enter and I will have the same chance as everyone else.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Thanks for helping out.
SSS will be co-hosting and in case I want to enter SSS will be the main host. (I have to have some fun too right?) xD
But I will be exepmt from juding or anything like that if I enter and I will have the same chance as everyone else.

That's also vice versa for myself, as well. However, I don't intend to enter very often; it depends on the theme.

Oh, and just for clarification, there isn't a scoring system like the SWC (Small Writing Contest) in Pkmn Fan Fics/Poetry.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I also want to state that you do not need to post your poems publically.
I will need to quote a verse or line or two if you win. However if you want to enter privately, PM me your poem and confirm within the thread that you are entering.

Sackferth

Fonetics Phanatic
Years
Here is my entry entitled "Why Do We Yearn for It?"

Those who don't possess It
are able to give more to
those who do through jealousy.

Those who already have It
keep It from spreading to
those who don't through greed.

So why do we yearn for It?
What makes It so special?
Are we better off without It?
Sadly no, It's a sick form of structure.
We…need…structure…

Average cases bring tiaras and crowns,
while the extremes result in limelight exposure.
It appears in most of our cities and towns,
on a pedestal for the "lucky" to procure.

We…need…structure…

Those who have obtained It
tend to not strive towards anything,
for they already have what others want.

Those without It
advance on their dreams of feeling
that feeling they yearned for so long ago.

We…need…structure…

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I will enter. I have a poem in "the works" since last week XD just gotta add a couple of lines :3

Its a sonnet in ababbcbccdcdee :D

edit:

welcome back gavz :D

Oh awesome! Good to see you're entering. Looking forward to seeing it! Also you may participate as much as you wish!

Here is my entry entitled "Why Do We Yearn for It?"

Those who don't possess It
are able to give more to
those who do through jealousy.

Those who already have It
keep It from spreading to
those who don't through greed.

We…need…structure…

Average cases bring tiaras and crowns,
while the extremes result in limelight exposure.
It appears in most of our cities and towns,
on a pedestal for the "lucky" to procure.

We…need…structure…

Those who have obtained It
tend to not strive towards anything,
for they already have what others want.

Those without It
advance on their dreams of feeling
that feeling they yearned for so long ago.

We…need…structure…

Oh god an entry! That's 2 so far, I've recieved one via PM also. I just want to see if I can put it up in public.

Back