• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2015
Ok thanks.

I was looking through the wiki after i had found
pbAddDependency(get_character(0))
curious on to how to get it to use the 1st slotted pokemon to follow you around instead of an event on the map. Maybe i just missed it.

EDIT: Testing safaris I get this as soon as i go into a battle
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `owned' for #<PokeBattle_FakeBattler:0xa2e81b8>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:592:in `refresh'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:511:in `initialize'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1543:in `new'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1543:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_SafariZone:94:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonSafari:114:in `pbSafariBattle'
PokemonSafari:113:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonSafari:115:in `pbSafariBattle'
PokemonSafari:112:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonSafari:112:in `pbSafariBattle'

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Ok thanks.

I was looking through the wiki after i had found
pbAddDependency(get_character(0))
curious on to how to get it to use the 1st slotted pokemon to follow you around instead of an event on the map. Maybe i just missed it.
That script makes a given event follow the player. This is the basis of mods that allow Pokémon to follow the player - every map has an event (or several) specifically put aside, which shows the Pokémon and it follows the player.

It's figuring out how to make the event show whichever Pokémon is at the front of your party that's the trick.

EDIT: Testing safaris I get this as soon as i go into a battle
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `owned' for #<PokeBattle_FakeBattler:0xa2e81b8>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:592:in `refresh'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:511:in `initialize'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1543:in `new'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1543:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_SafariZone:94:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonSafari:114:in `pbSafariBattle'
PokemonSafari:113:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonSafari:115:in `pbSafariBattle'
PokemonSafari:112:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonSafari:112:in `pbSafariBattle'
That's a very big problem. Fortunately I just came up with the solution, which is simple.

In the script section PokeBattle_SafariZone, at the top is the class PokeBattle_FakeBattler. In the initialize def right at the top there, add in the line @owned=$Trainer.owned[pokemon.species]. Also add def owned; return @owned; end alongside the other defs just below that. Fixed.

Naturally, this fix will be in the next release of Essentials, which will come when there's a new sub-section to announce it in.

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
No point in making a new variable for it; you should just define an owned method that returns whether the trainer owns it directly.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Hello 2 things I'm curious about :). Any help would be great!

1.a feature I've always wanted to do but I have noooo clue as to how to do it is basically almost get rid it "bills pc" except to get Pokemon or w/e. anyways back in w/e town you start in, maybe a area around it is like a "farm" a safari zone type place where all the Pokemon I catch go to their respected habitats like water a field grass a cave sand dirt w/e an I can go up to them and maybe "pick" them o be in my party or give them an item or just make them happy. I would just use bills pc when I'm not near it. Idk I just feel having my caught Pokemon in a computer is sorta lame. I want to see them all outside :). Kinda lame to you guys but idk I like it.

2.now this is about Pokemon essentials but also hacking or editing so I'm sorry if I break some rules. My I've found a edited white version called pokemon delux the creator basically added every Pokemon from all 5 gens into the game he edited trainers and I believe added some. Now ky question is could I use Pokemon essentials Pokemon pmb files (the files with all the Pokemon, base stats, moves they learn, and so forth and "edit" and add newer pokemon to maybe a older version ? Like pearl or Ruby or something? Jw.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2011
hi there im just starting to try and make a pokemon [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]game[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. I want to make some over world pokemon encounters, the file image i dwonloaded with the sprites when i load it into my material database and try and insert one the selection box is huge. How do i resize this so that I can select just the one single sprite that I want to use.

thanks for your help

so i found out i have to resize my picture the picture i am using is from here

spriters-resource.com/ds/pokeheartgoldsoulsilver/sheet/26828.......

whats the easiest way to resize this and in waht program im a noob

Maruno

Years
No point in making a new variable for it; you should just define an owned method that returns whether the trainer owns it directly.
That's practically what I did, isn't it? Besides, it was only two lines, and it fits with what I'd added previously to make the caught icon appear at all.

If you have your own solution, please share.

Hello 2 things I'm curious about :). Any help would be great!

1.a feature I've always wanted to do but I have noooo clue as to how to do it is basically almost get rid it "bills pc" except to get Pokemon or w/e. anyways back in w/e town you start in, maybe a area around it is like a "farm" a safari zone type place where all the Pokemon I catch go to their respected habitats like water a field grass a cave sand dirt w/e an I can go up to them and maybe "pick" them o be in my party or give them an item or just make them happy. I would just use bills pc when I'm not near it. Idk I just feel having my caught Pokemon in a computer is sorta lame. I want to see them all outside :). Kinda lame to you guys but idk I like it.

2.now this is about Pokemon essentials but also hacking or editing so I'm sorry if I break some rules. My I've found a edited white version called pokemon delux the creator basically added every Pokemon from all 5 gens into the game he edited trainers and I believe added some. Now ky question is could I use Pokemon essentials Pokemon pmb files (the files with all the Pokemon, base stats, moves they learn, and so forth and "edit" and add newer pokemon to maybe a older version ? Like pearl or Ruby or something? Jw.

Thanks!
1. Highly impractical to the point of being a really bad idea. Assuming you walked around on maps in the fields to look at your Pokémon, there would need to be one event per Pokémon, which could easily get into the "loads 'n' loads of 'em" realm. Then there's defining how they behave, e.g. how often they move around, how they respond to items, etc. Then there's the issue of the player needing to walk up to them; other Pokémon may block the way, they may move around too quickly, and you'd lose track of which one was which (if you ever had track of that). Then there's coming up with a way of showing their information (summary screens).

What you may want instead is a slight modification of the PC storage boxes, where each box is themed and holds different kinds of Pokémon, each individual box holds fewer Pokémon but they can move around a bit. It's still very difficult to do, and you still wouldn't know which Pokémon is which. In any case, using a keyboard to try and select entities that are moving around is really quite ridiculous.

2. You're right, that's a hacking question. The simple answer is no, because Essentials works differently to ROMs.

hi there im just starting to try and make a pokemon [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]game[/FONT][/FONT]. I want to make some over world pokemon encounters, the file image i dwonloaded with the sprites when i load it into my material database and try and insert one the selection box is huge. How do i resize this so that I can select just the one single sprite that I want to use.

thanks for your help

so i found out i have to resize my picture the picture i am using is from here

spriters-resource.com/ds/pokeheartgoldsoulsilver/sheet/26828.......

whats the easiest way to resize this and in waht program im a noob
Since I'm already answering questions here, I might as well answer this non-Essentials-related one too.

Paint works just fine, and it comes with every version of Windows. You'll need a separate charset for each Pokémon - look up what a charset it and how it works. It's a lot of boring work, and I really doubt you'll find a pre-made set of charsets precisely because they're tedious to make.

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2011
can you help me split these overworlds up.
go to:
spriters-resource.com click on ds then p then pokemon heartgold/soulsilver then trainer overworlds

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
1. Highly impractical to the point of being a really bad idea. Assuming you walked around on maps in the fields to look at your Pokémon, there would need to be one event per Pokémon, which could easily get into the "loads 'n' loads of 'em" realm. Then there's defining how they behave, e.g. how often they move around, how they respond to items, etc. Then there's the issue of the player needing to walk up to them; other Pokémon may block the way, they may move around too quickly, and you'd lose track of which one was which (if you ever had track of that). Then there's coming up with a way of showing their information (summary screens).

What you may want instead is a slight modification of the PC storage boxes, where each box is themed and holds different kinds of Pokémon, each individual box holds fewer Pokémon but they can move around a bit. It's still very difficult to do, and you still wouldn't know which Pokémon is which. In any case, using a keyboard to try and select entities that are moving around is really quite ridiculous.

2. You're right, that's a hacking question. The simple answer is no, because Essentials works differently to ROMs.

I feel like its not "impractical" who wouldn't want to see their Pokemon out in fields and grass areas rather than icons in a "pc"? It doesn't even have to have to have anything to do with items I wouldn't care if I just am able to click them and maybe add them to my party. I mean I get it's a lot of work but to me this seems worth it. I just want to see them out of a pc wandering around. I would add fences to make them unable to wander far. In past Pokemon games there have been Pokemon walking around out in fenced areas. An you can click on them, again I understand it's alot work but im ok with that.

However instead of criticizing and saying how dumb of an idea it is you could just help a fellow human bein out. Thanks.

And ok thanks I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I feel like its not "impractical" who wouldn't want to see their Pokemon out in fields and grass areas rather than icons in a "pc"? It doesn't even have to have to have anything to do with items I wouldn't care if I just am able to click them and maybe add them to my party. I mean I get it's a lot of work but to me this seems worth it. I just want to see them out of a pc wandering around. I would add fences to make them unable to wander far. In past Pokemon games there have been Pokemon walking around out in fenced areas. An you can click on them, again I understand it's alot work but im ok with that.

However instead of criticizing and saying how dumb of an idea it is you could just help a fellow human bein out. Thanks.

And ok thanks I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.

I feel the same, it does seem a little un-justified in telling somebody else it's some what of a "dumb idea", I'm actually going to attempt to do this myself, looking through how the storage works could be a start, looking into variables and dependant events, they may also be a friend here (I havent looked into this one bit as of yet, so there may be no possible way to do it those ways)...

Just because someone quite knowledgable with this type of scripting says it is a really bad idea, doesn't mean it's not possible, he's just stating it's alot of work, probably the way you explained this is a little ridiculous, i agree, maybe if you fenced the area off and had maybe 2 or 3 Random Pokémon from the box instead, any more than that could be a huge problem, talking to the Pokémon may also be a huge amount of work...

Sometimes the best thing to do, is, attempt this yourself (ALWAYS keep a back up before you start any of your work, note your work, etc.) You get a fine idea on how the scripts work as you play along, and maybe when you've found something new yourself, you can contribute to the community, there's nothing you can do that can make you game worse, right? after all, you have nothing in the first place.

Good Luck! If and When I get around to looking at this, and/if, I get it some what working, I will let you know! (No promises though! This is not high priority for me.)

I do have a question though... How do I make my character or any character jump a little less, my character seems to have low gravity when they jump :\

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
I feel the same, it does seem a little un-justified in telling somebody else it's some what of a "dumb idea", I'm actually going to attempt to do this myself, looking through how the storage works could be a start, looking into variables and dependant events, they may also be a friend here (I havent looked into this one bit as of yet, so there may be no possible way to do it those ways)...

Just because someone quite knowledgable with this type of scripting says it is a really bad idea, doesn't mean it's not possible, he's just stating it's alot of work, probably the way you explained this is a little ridiculous, i agree, maybe if you fenced the area off and had maybe 2 or 3 Random Pokémon from the box instead, any more than that could be a huge problem, talking to the Pokémon may also be a huge amount of work...

Sometimes the best thing to do, is, attempt this yourself (ALWAYS keep a back up before you start any of your work, note your work, etc.) You get a fine idea on how the scripts work as you play along, and maybe when you've found something new yourself, you can contribute to the community, there's nothing you can do that can make you game worse, right? after all, you have nothing in the first place.

Good Luck! If and When I get around to looking at this, and/if, I get it some what working, I will let you know! (No promises though! This is not high priority for me.)

I do have a question though... How do I make my character or any character jump a little less, my character seems to have low gravity when they jump :\
I guess I ought to add my two cents as well. First, I don't recall Maruno calling it a dumb idea. Just impractical (by definition: not realistic. not the same as dumb). First I'll point out some more potential issues, then some suggestions for actually making it work.

First, lag. If you allow players to catch a few hundred Pokemon and expect to have a few hundred running around on one map, good luck. Large maps alone tend to lag (especially with connections), and large maps with large numbers of events are even worse. Even working in standard RMXP with a small 30x20 map and 100 events (haha, don't ask) will cause a little jerkiness. So, implementing something like this will most likely make Essentials lag its brains out. Maruno also mentioned issues that would come from how crowded it'd be, and the large amount of logic needed to drive this system. But, it's not entirely hopeless (with some compromise).

Instead of having one grandiose map filled with potentially more than 649 Pokemon (depends on how many gens you want and how many duplicates the player may have), I'd try breaking it down a bit. In fact, here's what I think would actually work pretty nice, and is somewhere between your idea and Maruno's: have a map that corresponds to each box, which has the usual limit (I don't even remember how many that is anymore). So if a box can only hold 30, that map would never have more than 30 events, and you could have themed maps or even mixed ones (the difficult part will be getting Pokemon to spawn and remain near their respective environments, if you go a mixed map approach). As for how to do this, try logic + trial and error. It works for me (and expect a lot of error. even very proficient developers will make some errors. the proficient ones just happen to learn from them better). And what you might do is make a central location in which you could access all of these different maps that correspond to the boxes, to give the illusion of them all being in the same general area. I'm not sure how connections will handle this though. Lag could still potentially be an issue if you have the maps connected. You might want to use gate houses instead to access them with a hard transition instead of using seamless (mostly) connections. Also, I've done some messing around with creating, moving, modifying, and checking values of events (i.e. mostly names and ids, though pretty much anything is fair game). So I can give some advice on event manipulation through scripts. Though it'd probably be better for me to make a tutorial about it or something. I may if I finally get enough free time. It would be far and above more effective than putting a bunch of empty events on a map and changing their behavior with other events. Simpler too.

A little note on your idea for giving them items: it's fine, but I'd restrict it to just berries or something. And at that, I'd limit the effects to just raising happiness a little or something like that. With event spawning via script, you could actually just create the exact same event over and over (it would just ask the player to give them a berry, to select one, and then raise their happiness if they do, while erasing the item from the bag), but manipulate the graphic depending on the species. Then just give them all generic move behaviors, like lowest frequency + lowest speed + random movement (so they won't wander all that much). If you want to get into modifying move behaviors based on species, natures, or stats, and even things like giving proteins, rare candies, having them hold items, or whatever else you can think of, be my guest. It's doable, but you'll have some programming ahead of you. I'd suggest starting simple, and maybe adding the extras once it's finished (so you don't get overloaded). The only thing I can't stress enough is to not use a single map for all of this. Replicating Oak's lab in one piece isn't practical. Two pieces? Nope. Six? Don't think so. One piece per box? Fine, so long as you don't connect them all (which essentially leaves you with the same thing as one big one in terms of both appearance and lag. Maybe not quite the same, but I don't have much desire to test it out. I don't expect good results from it either way). I probably shouldn't have said this would be a "little note." I'm not very good at those when I find things that need explaining (and I usually find something to explain).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Ok ok first thank you I reall appreciate the help! I have a vision and just don't like when people can't just help sorry I don't mean to be rude.

Ok imagine this is you will.

A small map with a few buildings one building (farm) will be top of the map, so you can't see anything behind the building. You walk into the building and now you have multiple doors. Not necessarily 30 doors lol but for aurgument sake lets say 5 doors, each door is marked with a sign idk top of my head lets say "grass" symbol above one and so forth. You walk into grass door and it leads you to a field or forest type map with 30 give or take sprites just walking around. I really don't care about the options to give or take items I was just throwing that out there. Anyways maybe you could do a happiness thing or a join party option? Then the same situation goes for the other doors/areas. This would make them multiple maps only connected to the building. Not really each other.. I could use fences trees to block stuff off making a smallish map.

My whole point is I hate the "pc" I would love some personalization with "my" Pokemon that I've caught. You know?

Anyways again thanks I'll take help but please if you don't like the idea or think it dumb or just can't add anything to help a fellow gamer out just don't reply, if you can though please I'm all ears Er I guess eyes lol. Unfortuantly I can't trial and error yet I'm really busy and put of town but any info I get I'll be sure to make attempts when I get a chance :) again thanks! I'm one step closer to my dream lol

Maruno

Years
I wasn't feeling very eloquent last night, which is why I came across how I did.

The idea as you originally presented it had many omissions, and it would have taken a lot of planning just to come up with a working model (even before you tried implementing it). The main issue is the number of Pokémon a player could catch, and duplicates of individual species which might be confusing (you could have a whole map of Rattata and not know which one is your HM slave). Working around these problems, as I said, would be difficult and probably unwieldy in the end.

The idea of showing some of the player's Pokémon in the field would be fine if it was only in addition to the PC, as a bit of decoration. There are plenty of things you could do with that, such as letting the player choose which Pokémon are outside and even adding some breeding mechanics. My dislike of the idea is that you want it to replace the PC, which leads to the problems I've mentioned.

Instead of having one grandiose map filled with potentially more than 649 Pokemon (depends on how many gens you want and how many duplicates the player may have), I'd try breaking it down a bit. In fact, here's what I think would actually work pretty nice, and is somewhere between your idea and Maruno's: have a map that corresponds to each box, which has the usual limit (I don't even remember how many that is anymore). So if a box can only hold 30, that map would never have more than 30 events, and you could have themed maps or even mixed ones (the difficult part will be getting Pokemon to spawn and remain near their respective environments, if you go a mixed map approach).
This is the best way forward, I think, but it would mean major changes to how storage works, such as lowering the total number of Pokémon allowed and adding limits on how many Pokémon associated with each environment you can own (e.g. your water field may be empty, but if your cave field is full you can't catch any more Geodudes). You'd also need to bear in mind that they player may also want to store a party Geodude, so those environment limits must also count the party Pokémon.

If lots of events didn't make RMXP lag, there wouldn't be much of a problem with these limits. However, they do, so there is. With 649 species existing nowadays, and a limit of about 30 events per map, you'll need a whole lot of fields. And how many fields of each type should you have? Well, if you're clever, you may be able to let the player change fields to different environments (like they can with box wallpapers).

Some players like to group their Pokémon differently, e.g. "event Pokémon", or "Pokémon that need training". This simply wouldn't be allowed with your idea.

There would still be the management problems, though. The player wouldn't be able to tell at a glance which Rattata is which, they couldn't quickly cycle through all Pokémon in a field to find a particular one, and so forth. It's a lot of work for the player to do, and that's an important thing to remember.

My whole point is I hate the "pc" I would love some personalization with "my" Pokemon that I've caught. You know?

Anyways again thanks I'll take help but please if you don't like the idea or think it dumb or just can't add anything to help a fellow gamer out just don't reply, if you can though please I'm all ears Er I guess eyes lol. Unfortuantly I can't trial and error yet I'm really busy and put of town but any info I get I'll be sure to make attempts when I get a chance :) again thanks! I'm one step closer to my dream lol
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be different, but this is very different and almost certainly not as good as the existing PC storage system (unless you come up with something really special, which I haven't).

A word about your last paragraph: you should accept all opinions, not just the ones you like. "If you don't like it, don't reply" is not a good thing to say. If anything, you should be wanting constructive criticism only (which can be either good or bad), and I thought mine was that because I pointed out issues you may not have thought of. It doesn't matter whether I like or dislike this idea; I'm still helping you by telling you what you're overlooking, and possibly showing how big a task it is.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
@movieguy12: I threw together a basic skeleton for spawning the Pokemon events on the overworld. I commented a bunch of stuff so you ought to be able to figure it out. One thing I can't explain in too much detail is the event commands. SephirothSpawn's event spawner uses a similar methodology to what I've done here (it's how I eventually managed to figure out this was possible, and led me to check the RMXP documentation on it), though his approach uses method calls the create events. You'll be working directly with the events with this code (since his event spawner doesn't work in Essentials. too lazy to work out why):
Code:
#makes the spritesets  character_sprites visible to the rest of the program.
  #without this, it doesn't know what character_sprites is and gives an error.
class Spriteset_Map
  attr_reader :character_sprites
end

def pbPopulateField
  #determines the source of the Pokemon for the current map. here it's the party,
  #but it could be a PC box instead. you could also come up with your own place
  #to store captured pokemon to use here
  pokemonToUse=$Trainer.party

#create an event for every Pokemon in the selected source
  for i in 0...pokemonToUse.length
    #start event creation. 0,0 is supposed to be the location, but Poccil's
            #modifications have rendered it useless. You'll get an error if you
            #don't have it there though
    event=RPG::Event.new(0,0)
    #name the event. here I used the pokemon's id so they can be differentiated.
      #be careful here, as using a number instead of a string will get you a
      #strange an undescriptive error. hence why I added the .to_s to the end.
      #that makes it a string, even if it was a number before
    event.name=pokemonToUse[i].personalID.to_s
    #assign event id based on how many events are on the map. prevents overlap
    event.id=$game_map.events.empty? ? 1 : $game_map.events.keys.max + 1
    #create a new page for the event
    event.pages[0]=RPG::Event::Page.new
    #set the trigger to player touch
    event.pages[0].trigger=0
    #set the event's graphic. here you use the species.
    event.pages[0].graphic.character_name=sprintf("%03d",pokemonToUse[i].species)
    #set the pokemon's facing to down
    event.pages[0].graphic.pattern=2
    #make the pokemon play its cry when you talk to it (this is a Play SE command)
      #the 100,100 are volume and pitch
    command=RPG::EventCommand.new(250,0,[RPG::AudioFile.new(sprintf("%03dCry",pokemonToUse[i].species),100,100)])
    #add the show text command we just made to the current event page
    event.pages[0].list.insert(-2, command)
    #make the pokemon say something when you talk to it (this is a Show Text command)
      command=RPG::EventCommand.new(101,0,[_INTL("{1}",PBSpecies.getName(pokemonToUse[i].species))])#0  is indent(for conditional branches
          #if I remember correctly). An indent of 0 means it's not in a branch.
    #add the show text command we just made to the current event page
    event.pages[0].list.insert(-2, command)
    #add event to map
    $game_map.events[event.id]=Game_Event.new($game_map.map_id, event)
    #move the event to where you want it (you'll need to be more creative with this one)
    $game_map.events[event.id].moveto(5,5+i)
    #add event to spriteset
    if $scene.is_a?(Scene_Map) && $scene.spriteset.is_a?(Spriteset_Map)
        $scene.spriteset.character_sprites[$scene.spriteset.character_sprites.length]  = Sprite_Character.new(@viewport1, $game_map.events[event.id])
    end
    #refreshes the spriteset so the event will show up immediately
        #dispose gets rid of a duplicated image that doesn't erase right away
    $scene.disposeSpritesets
    $scene.createSpritesets
  end
end
Just call that method (make sure your party isn't empty though), and it should spawn all of them on the current map, each saying their species name and playing their cry. They don't move (I'll have to figure that out later). You can actually figure out some of the event command syntax by creating a command with the appropriate code number (i.e. 101 for Show Text, 250 for Play SE, etc.), then putting p command (command being the variable name used to create the event command)on the next line to see what the output is. It should list out the expected parameters (with nil values), so you can correct it. SephirothSpawn never finished the documentation of his event spawner, which explains a few of the basic ones (he didn't even include conditional branches, which is probably the most common one. it's also the hardest to code though because of it's changing parameters). This is about as much as I can help you. From here, it's up to you to:

-Figure out how to store the captured Pokemon in arrays (or just use the PC but don't give the player access to it anywhere)
-Use the Pokemon from whatever source you want (like the party, or PC boxes. it currently uses the party)
-Strategically place the Pokemon on the current map (you'll probably need to check both passability and terrain tags, save all the tiles that meet the criteria, and spawn them randomly in one of the eligible tiles)
-Make them move around
-Make them react to giving them things and/or manipulate their happiness
-Figure out when this script should be called and how (you'll need to call it each time you enter a designated map)
-Categorize the types of environments and the Pokemon in them accordingly.

An added suggestion to help work around the issue of not being able to see what Pokemon is what: when inside one of those designated maps, change the menu the player calls to bring up a list with info about each of the Pokemon on that map (this is part of the reason I made the event name the Pokemon's ID. I'm sure you'll figure out how to use it), and when the player selects a particular Pokemon (they should be able to see names, moves, stats, levels, and possibly other stuff), make that Pokemon glow or flash or something until the player talks to it. Or however you prefer. You can use the Tint command to manipulate their graphic.

As you can see, this will be very advanced. If you have persistence, you may pull it off. This is about as much as I can help you (since I don't have a bunch of spare hours to work on something like this. and trust me, it will take a whole lot of hours). I really hope you know your way around RMXP and some basic scripting.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
@KitsuneKouta and @Maruno

Can I just say, wasn't bein rude or nothing, just say that it was possible with hard work,and clearly you pointed MovieGuy in the right direction, KK (KitsuneKouta, ur name is pretty long to use in a paragrah 3 or 4 times haha) I see Maruno did state he wasn't himself completely, which is fine, everyone has an off day I guess... So don't take my post as a dig at anyone please =)

I see in your script there, you used the party as the event instead of the box, but, how would the graphic be that of the Pokemon selected? (That script is helping me be a better scripter haha, strange but it is) its the adding of graphics and such which I get confuzzled with... Also do you know how to make my character jump less down walls and what have you? X

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
@KitsuneKouta and @Maruno

Can I just say, wasn't bein rude or nothing, just say that it was possible with hard work,and clearly you pointed MovieGuy in the right direction, KK (KitsuneKouta, ur name is pretty long to use in a paragrah 3 or 4 times haha) I see Maruno did state he wasn't himself completely, which is fine, everyone has an off day I guess... So don't take my post as a dig at anyone please =)

I see in your script there, you used the party as the event instead of the box, but, how would the graphic be that of the Pokemon selected? (That script is helping me be a better scripter haha, strange but it is) its the adding of graphics and such which I get confuzzled with... Also do you know how to make my character jump less down walls and what have you? X
KK is fine with me (half the time I myself use that instead of the full name anyways, since I'm often too lazy to type it all out). Anyways, the Pokemon's graphics is set as the OW sprite with this:
event.pages[0].graphic.character_name=sprintf("%03d",pokemonToUse.species)
The %03d portion tells it to use padded zeroes (it's all over Essentials if you look), and pokemonToUse is the exact same as $Trainer.party (since the party was specified as the source). The image is assigned to the first page of the event (page 0). RMXP uses character_name to figure out which graphic to use (it's just the filename). For the jumping thing, I'll have to look into it when I get some time.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
Years
The link is gone. Where may I get the Starter Kit?

EDIT: Never mind. I found the link. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2014
Hey there,

someone tried out the "custom animation before battle starts"-function? In PokemoField in pbBattleAnimation (around line 500-600) there is a comment which says that you can use common events for special fights:

#
# Animate the screen ($game_temp.background_bitmap contains
# the current game screen).
#
# The following example runs a common event that does
# a custom animation if some condition is true. The screen
# should fade to black when the common event is finished:
#
#if $game_map && $game_map.map_id==20 # If on map 20
# pbCommonEvent(20)
# handled=true # Note that the battle animation is done
#end
#

I called pbCommonEvent(9) at this point (just after the last command line), but it never gets executed. I put a "p(id)" inside the pbCommonEvent and it's just popping up just before the battle starts, so it must be a problem of the game interpreter, right? Someone used this function and know how to fix it?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I clicked the link but it said that the file was not found.

To get essentials?

Pokémon essentials is no longer run by poccil, and I don't even know if his website is up. If you tried the first post in this thread, go here instead:
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon_Essentials_Wiki

Pokémon essentials is developed by the community(Mostly Maruno) now, and Maruno put up this Wiki as an essentials information website. The latest release is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back