• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokemon games save fix (white screen, 1M sub-circuit, Elite four save) Any device/flashcard/3DS GBA VC

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
This Hack is a saving function fix for all the pokemon gba games, for all languages, for all versions (1.0 / 1.1).

[Fire Red, Leaf green, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald]

This hack was initially made by RIKU (gbatemp) then dumped and improved by Yafee and AmeenX!

Usage:

Warning: Don't use Sram patch, just apply this hex mod and you're good to go

u8fbXwy.jpg

Open the desired ROM in a hex editor and find the following string:

Code:
D0 88 8D 83 42

mtoRog0.png

Note: This string can be found in two different locations in some ROMs, make sur you find and edit both of them!

Also the strings can be found in two different lengths:

Code:
D0888D8342 [xx xx xx] 2410491068

Or

Code:
D0888D8342 [xx xx xx xx] 2410491068

Edit stricly what's between
Code:
D0888D8342 [and] 2410491068

Replace the xx by 00

uBP4F6O.png

Exemple:

Kf6ptDW.png

Note: No technical information available as it was a pure hex editing!

Last edited:

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
So I've been using the GBATA SRAM patcher to overcome this issue. What exactly does this do though? Does it maintain the 128KB save size or is it reduced to just 64?

This reduces the save to 64K without using sram patch.(not sure)
Skip save backup up memory check
Fixes fr, lg & emerald white screen and elite four save issue

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
So this doesnt require extra patching when ROM used on a ez flash iv, correct? Or does it still require the client's patch to be able to save properly?

AmineX

Music Expert
Years
Don't use Sram patch, just apply this hex mod and you're good to go!

u8fbXwy.jpg

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
This doesn't cause any problems when the save is downsized, does it?

Years
Would someone mind giving me the offset(s) so I can find the code easier? Seriously, it's gonna take FOREVER to find one line of code among THOUSANDS more. :(

Last edited:

blureshadow

First of His Name
Years
Between this and SRAM patching, which is better/safer? The broken backup save seems a bit... extreme.

BluRose

blu rass
Years
Between this and SRAM patching, which is better/safer? The broken backup save seems a bit... extreme.
this: better
sram patch: likely "safer"
the broken backup is a result of doing what the game tells you not to: turn off the power while saving. and besides, most emulators (pc, wii, android, maybe not 3ds tho) have a workaround in save states. used in discipline, nothing is different <3

blureshadow

First of His Name
Years
this: better
sram patch: likely "safer"
the broken backup is a result of doing what the game tells you not to: turn off the power while saving. and besides, most emulators (pc, wii, android, maybe not 3ds tho) have a workaround in save states. used in discipline, nothing is different <3

I'll be using this with EZ Flash IV on an original console, so no save states.
Could you explain to me the differences of this "hack" and sram patching?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Sep 5, 2021
If i did the SRAM patch method, does that mean that After the Elite Four my game will be unable to save??

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
This thread is hella old at this point and should be mothballed. We know how to get the 3DS's GBA firmware to use a 1MB save, so the games can run unpatched. Even if we needed to patch the game to make it run, there's better ways to do it than this, which I explained in exhaustive detail on Reddit two years ago.

Back