• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports 2017 college football playoff predictions

Sirfetch’d

Predicting is half of the fun of the season! Everyone drop your 2017 cbf playoff teams here and at the end of the year we will see who came the closest!

I've gone back and forth with my picks and to make it easier I've narrowed it down to the teams that I think have a shot at it. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State, Oklahoma, USC, Washington, Oklahoma State, LSU, Auburn, Stanford, Boise State and TCU are the only teams I feel will be in discussion. Some top teams like Wisconsin, Michigan, and FSU are too young or injured and teams like Florida and Georgia are just too unreliable. After looking at schedules I am going with the following 4 as my playoff teams:

1. Ohio State (13-0)
2. Auburn (12-1)
3. USC (12-1)
4. Alabama (11-1)

Outside looking in: LSU(10-2), Boise State (12-0), Stanford (10-2), Big 12 Champ, Washington (11-2)

The way I see it playing out is, Ohio State running the table and getting in. Auburn will lose to LSU on the road, but later knock off undefeated Bama to advance to the SEC championship, later beating Georgia again. USC will lose to Stanford early on but win out to earn a spot. For the last spot I see Alabama getting in over a 2 loss Clemson(ACC champ) and a 2 loss Oklahoma , Oklahoma State, or TCU(Big 12 winner). Boise State will be 12-0 and around #6 but will not be getting in.

Years
Predicting is half of the fun of the season! Everyone drop your 2017 cbf playoff teams here and at the end of the year we will see who came the closest!

I've gone back and forth with my picks and to make it easier I've narrowed it down to the teams that I think have a shot at it. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State, Oklahoma, USC, Washington, Oklahoma State, LSU, Auburn, Stanford, Boise State and TCU are the only teams I feel will be in discussion. Some top teams like Wisconsin, Michigan, and FSU are too young or injured and teams like Florida and Georgia are just too unreliable. After looking at schedules I am going with the following 4 as my playoff teams:

1. Ohio State (13-0)
2. Auburn (12-1)
3. USC (12-1)
4. Alabama (11-1)

Outside looking in: LSU(10-2), Boise State (12-0), Stanford (10-2), Big 12 Champ, Washington (11-2)

The way I see it playing out is, Ohio State running the table and getting in. Auburn will lose to LSU on the road, but later knock off undefeated Bama to advance to the SEC championship, later beating Georgia again. USC will lose to Stanford early on but win out to earn a spot. For the last spot I see Alabama getting in over a 2 loss Clemson(ACC champ) and a 2 loss Oklahoma , Oklahoma State, or TCU(Big 12 winner). Boise State will be 12-0 and around #6 but will not be getting in.

I, uh, can't see Auburn beating Clemson in Clemson, and I don't see two teams from *any* conference getting in anytime soon lest the CFP committee have a riot from the major conferences on their hands, especially not a 1-loss team that's not conference champs after Ohio State got destroyed in the semifinal last year.

I think the SEC Champ is Bama at either 13-0 or 12-1. That defense just looks too smothering.
Big Ten Champ is Ohio State again at 13-0 or 12-1 (losing to Penn State but Penn State losing to Michigan and Wisconsin).
ACC Champ should be Clemson as they won't miss a beat, but they'll be 12-1 losing to a team they shouldn't but beating FSU.
Big 12 Champ is a tossup but I'll give it to a 2-loss Oklahoma State (11-2) since I predict Oklahoma (10-3) will take a couple steps back while their new coach figures things out and no other team looks primed to step in, though Kansas State and TCU will both reach at least 9 wins.
Pac-12 Champ is 12-1 USC.

So I think we have:

1. Alabama 12-1
2. Clemson 12-1
3. Ohio State 12-1
4. USC 12-1

And Bama vs Clemson part two for the final, with Bama getting the win.

G5 teams realistically have no shot at being in the CFP because of the selection committee bias until they either expand it to top 8 or there's a mandatory inclusion clause within X ranks like there was with the BCS.

Sirfetch’d

With the playoff approaching figured I'd bump this. My initial predictions weren't terrible, but USC is most likely out of it with the PAC 12 needing a miracle to get in. Alabama and Auburn are both very much in it but both likely won't make it unless the committee forgives Bama losing the Iron Bowl(not likely). Ohio State still can easily get back in this thing too.

I see it as 8 teams are still alive for a shot. Bama, Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Auburn, Georgia, and Ohio State. If TCU won the big 12 in a rematch they could possibly be alive on life support, but I'd think a one loss Miami or Bama could get in before them. TCU would need a LOT of help now, as would a PAC 12 champ.

Alabama seems really banged up right now and I don't see them going into Auburn and getting an easy win. Should be a good game, but I still think the Tigers come out on top and eventually in the SEC. Oklahoma should run the table as well. I have Clemson beating Miami for the ACC and Ohio State taking down 12-0 Wisconsin win the Big 10 championship game. Clemson, Oklahoma, and Auburn would have the 1-3 seeds in this scenario. The 4th seed would be between Big 10 champ Ohio State, one loss Alabama, and one loss Miami. I think the Committee would go with Ohio State in this scenario due to quality wins.

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Auburn
4. Ohio State

I'd take Ohio State over Clemson and Auburn over Oklahoma if these were to play out. This would give us a final of Auburn vs Ohio State for the title.

Obviously being an Auburn fan makes me incredibly biased, but I really do think Auburn has a shot to win it all with the way they are playing. They have two early season losses on the road by a combined 12 points. Every other game they have played in has been blowouts, most recently vs the #1 team. They have an incredibly nasty defense and arguably the best QB in the SEC. Ohio State is the most talented team in the country when they actually show up to play. Both have a championship mentality and I think they will win out to propel themselves to the title game. Should be a fun one if it plays out!

ImLethe

Lethe
Years
  • Age 22
  • OHIO
  • Seen Mar 19, 2020
Auburn pulled out the dub!

I'm an Ohio State fan and I'm really pumped for the game against Wisconsin.

It's really difficult to make any predictions with all of these 1 loss teams. Everybody is beating each other, so the Committee is really going to have their hands full with a lot of pissed off fans.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Very surprising that Auburn not only broke into the top 4 but got ranked #2 above Oklahoma. They beat Alabama and Georgia, but still 2 losses. I was thinking Alabama would still be in there either #3 or #4.

Back