• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Advanced sprite editor imported sprites glitchy

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
I've tried changing some pokemon sprites from gen 3 to gen 4 - 5 ones without much luck. I tried importing various sprites, only changing palettes and such, and upon clicking "write to rom", the end result in the game is usually the image with correct colors, all distorted, with broken dots and lines all around.

I've read somewhere that this could be a graphics card issue and if it is, is there any fix to this? I tested the same method on other pc and there the sprite change worked well.

I can still import sprites using NSE but unfortunately there is no an "import all" button like in APSE.

Thanks in advance.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Where did you get your sprites from?

I think I got them from a thread called "the ds 64x64 sprites resource", and those sprites that had front and back sprites that could be easily inserted with the import all button.

But the problem is, that even without importing the image and just clicking on the desired pokemon in APSE and editing its palette, or just clicking write to rom, the sprite will always end up corrupted on one of my pc's. The other pc is able to perfom sprite imports without any issue.

At first I thought that I overwrote important data because the free space searches from the beginning of the rom, but even after using 800000+ offsets it just wouldn't work.

If it helps I have a really old Nvidia graphics card and ocassionally sometimes on certain programs black squares would randomly start appearing, and I guess its because the card wore out.

I could post some examples of how the corrupted sprite looks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
That is strange.

I mean, you could use something like G3HS to import the sprite sheets one at a time. Which will of course take longer, but not too much longer.

Seeing an example could possibly help, like you said

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Here are some images that showcase the issue more in depth:

SpriteToReplace.PNG

The sprite that's being replaced.

APSESprite.PNG

The way the sprite looks in APSE.

OGSprite.PNG

New sprite.

CorruptedSprite.PNG

Corrupted front sprite.

Backsprite.PNG

Corrupted backsprite.

Once again, the only program that can replace sprites without corrupting for me is NSE and probably UNLZ (on the pc where APSE doesn't work), I also tried PGE to replace sprites but the end result is the same as in APSE.

FireFig

Ignite
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Jun 20, 2022
Here are some images that showcase the issue more in depth:

SpriteToReplace.PNG

The sprite that's being replaced.

APSESprite.PNG

The way the sprite looks in APSE.

OGSprite.PNG

New sprite.

CorruptedSprite.PNG

Corrupted front sprite.

Backsprite.PNG

Corrupted backsprite.

Once again, the only program that can replace sprites without corrupting for me is NSE and probably UNLZ (on the pc where APSE doesn't work), I also tried PGE to replace sprites but the end result is the same as in APSE.

I faced the same issue with apse and PGE so I recommend G3HS, its user friendly tho it doesn't have many features like PGE it has a decent Pokemon editor.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
I faced the same issue with apse and PGE so I recommend G3HS, its user friendly tho it doesn't have many features like PGE it has a decent Pokemon editor.

Thanks, G3HS worked and changed the front and back sprite successfully.

Though it does work, it does mess up the palette sometimes, not sure why it doesn't import all the colors.

Last edited:
Back