• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Atheist Alliance 2.0

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I think we're discussing two entirely different things here. Yes, science is currently unable to explain why the big bang occurred, or what came before it. I never said that it did, and I'm not trying to use it as an explanation for that.

Let me emphasize one line in particular from my last post:
Even if you're not 100% sure, you can definitely tell what it's not. It's not a human, it's not a flower, it's not a cat.
Based on our current understanding of reality, and our current understanding of all known religions, I can determine with a satisfactory (to me) level of certainty that no known religion is accurate. Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc in particular are not accurate. That's all I'm saying.

I agree that it's entirely possible that some unknown entity created the universe(s), and we're just a side effect of it, or are unimportant enough that they've never directly interacted with us. I think it's possible, and actually quite likely that we're within a simulation of another more advanced species, and our reality isn't actually real at all. I could be a brain in a jar. I could be part of the program running around someone else's brain in a jar. Those are all possible.

I still won't call myself agnostic however, because those hypotheses are irrelevant. They're unknowable, and so far beyond the scope of my reality that they will never affect my existence in any discernible way whatsoever. In a way, I can agree that atheism is small thinking, but it's meaningful thinking.

Last edited:

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
So, recently, this happened.

This video had me a bit broken up to be honest. There was a good lesson learned here, but the discrimination; hushed voices, the glares, looks of disgust...

In this video, a social experiment, they did two days of fundraising; one day for a religious children's hospital, one for an atheist one. Which one donated more? The results are something I didn't expect, but am very happy with.

I'm glad that JaclynG did this. Atheism has nothing to do with whether someone is a good or bad person. Morality is not a religious virtue, it is a human one. I wish more people would understand that.

Phantom1

Years
Update for members!

If you change your name please let me know your old name so I can replace it with the new one in the member list! Thanks!

Phantom1

Years
Oh, how convenient~ I was/am Murkmire. Good to be back, by the way.

Thanks, and it's been changed.

Hmm, from now on go ahead and PM me with any name changes so it doesn't muck up the thread too much with housekeeping stuff.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
My name is Alfieri and I was baptized as a Catholic, but was never religious. My mother forces it down upon me. I'm an Atheist plain and simple. :)

Phantom1

Years
God dammit Murkmire. I just fixed that! :/

Get it? God dammit? Atheist club?

ANYWHO.

Welcome Alfieri! Make yourself at home.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
So, I just read an interesting article.

'God is not a magician': Pope says Christians should believe in evolution and Big Bang

How do you think this will impact both the Christian, specifically Catholic, and the scientific community? This is a big bridge to cross, and this pope is making some real strides toward progress.

I just have one question. "God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life."

From what I've read, God is still exempt from not being a thing of science, but a creator of science. Am I understanding that correctly?

I mean, yes, I like that he's trying to get people to actually care for the planet, and the future of humanity, but still... I dunno. I guess I'm just nitpicking.

As for the question... I really don't think it'll go well for Mr. Pope. There are too many Christians and Catholics (and religious folk in general) that are too opposed to scientific advancement. There are some, but... yeah.

Last edited:

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
Years
I have one thing to say, how can you be proud to be a athiest? How can you be proud to not have anything to devote your life to? You only have one chance take It! I don't mean to disrespect you and if i do i'm sorry but i plead to you just listen. The lord Jesus Loves you and wants you to come to him, if you really care about you family or yourself Listen to him, read his word, love him as much as he loves you.
I'm sorry if i disrespected any of you but i want to give you your one chance and maybe the lord Jesus Is giving you your chance through me.
If you will consent and come to Christ Pm me and i will supply the word and how to live for him and save yourself. Thank you.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
I have one thing to say, how can you be proud to be a athiest? How can you be proud to not have anything to devote your life to? You only have one chance take It! I don't mean to disrespect you and if i do i'm sorry but i plead to you just listen. The lord Jesus Loves you and wants you to come to him, if you really care about you family or yourself Listen to him, read his word, love him as much as he loves you.
I'm sorry if i disrespected any of you but i want to give you your one chance and maybe the lord Jesus Is giving you your chance through me.
If you will consent and come to Christ Pm me and i will supply the word and how to live for him and save yourself. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure if you watched the video above, MOST of your questions would be answered.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'm proud that I have not been brainwashed by a religion used by the rich and powerful to keep the poor and stupid in their place. I'm proud that I'm helping humanity advance away from that. I'm proud to be a person free of judgement and hatred, who loves all creatures of the Earth equally. I'm proud that I know I'm a free person who makes all of my own decisions, uninfluenced by any supernatural beings. I'm proud that I have a stronger moral fiber than most Christians, all of my own accord, not simply because I'm scared of hell. I'm proud that as humanity advances further, the line between us and gods will be blurred until we're indistinguishable from each other, and as an Atheist who is hopefully bringing more people to Atheism, I'm helping to bring that future to fruition sooner.

I'm proud to be a good person because that's who I am, and who I want to be, not because God told me to. How can you be proud knowing that the only thing stopping you from being evil is fear?

Phantom1

Years

Oooh boy.

Right. So this is your warning. We are okay with believers coming in and bringing polite and fruitful conversation, but we do not look kindly on people trying to.... what's a term... people trying to SAVE us.

I can assure you that every member of my club is fully aware what being an atheist means. I can tell you that nearly every one of them has a good reason for it and will probably be more than happy to tell you why.

We do devote ourselves to something. Like Quilava said, we devote ourselves to being decent human beings, without the threat of hell looming over us. We live lives full of love and happiness without a god looming over our shoulders telling us how to do it correctly.

Next time you post here, bring conversation, not saving.

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
Years
I'm proud that I have not been brainwashed by a religion used by the rich and powerful to keep the poor and stupid in their place. I'm proud that I'm helping humanity advance away from that. I'm proud to be a person free of judgement and hatred, who loves all creatures of the Earth equally. I'm proud that I know I'm a free person who makes all of my own decisions, uninfluenced by any supernatural beings. I'm proud that I have a stronger moral fiber than most Christians, all of my own accord, not simply because I'm scared of hell. I'm proud that as humanity advances further, the line between us and gods will be blurred until we're indistinguishable from each other, and as an Atheist who is hopefully bringing more people to Atheism, I'm helping to bring that future to fruition sooner.

I'm proud to be a good person because that's who I am, and who I want to be, not because God told me to. How can you be proud knowing that the only thing stopping you from being evil is fear?

Have you read anything about christianity? We are all abot loving all equally. And we don't say fear Christ we say love Christ.

Back