• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

favorite shiny hunting method?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
i still like breeding lol. when SOS chaining I usually lose count of how many calls until the reset because I'm busy watching a movie in the meantime or something.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Does RNG manip count?

Breeding is probably my least favourite method, running around all the time makes me feel braindead lol.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Probably dexnaving in caves or on water.

I like most methods except radar and sos.

Years
While I never had the patience to be any good at it, I always loved trying to chain to catch shiny Pokemon, specifically in Platinum and Alpha Sapphire. I don't even want to think about how many hours I spent trying to chain for a shiny Ralts/Kirlia on Route 209, but to no avail.

Years
Horde and SOS chaining for the thrill of a sudden shiny popping out into the field, breeding because end-game I'm an IV perfectionist and it's much easier to get my desired mon that way. But breeding sure has failed me many times, looking at u three male shiny Buneary hatches (ノ・ェ・)ノ

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I've gotten the most shinies from Friend Safari so I guess I would have to say that would be my favorite "method". But besides that SOS Chaining was pretty fun when I did it in Sun for a Shiny Alolan-Vulpix ♥

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I loved Friend Safari so that's gonna be my #1. Every other method involved effort or complicated steps. Running around in circles effortlessly, yep, that's my kind of hunting.

Chain fishing was something I got really good at too.

Hated DexNav & grass chaining & SOS chaining.

Breeding never really netted me shinies lol only ever bred one shiny via breeding unfortunately!

Years
I've had more success SOS Chaining shinies, although I still want to get back into breeding shinies because I get more of a sense of accomplishment from that.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I prefer full-odds hunting these days. Although I've had major luck MMing Shinies in the 3DS games, it got to the point that they felt too mechanical and made nearly all of them lose their personal value to me. I can't help but wonder, had I not been using a Shiny-boosting method, if any of those still would've been Shiny and feel more special to me today. Now they're just sitting in a box in Moon and will probably be traded-off if I ever find full-odds versions.

There are still some non-full-odds Shinies I'm quite attached to though: my Shiny Dunsparce (chained in Pearl), Shiny Glaceon (MM'd in Black 2), and Shiny Persian (non-MM'd egg post-Shiny Charm in Black 2). Likewise, there are some of my full-odds Shinies that I haven't really bonded with.

Last edited:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 21, 2024
1/8192 is the only way >:o Every other method go home.

To be honest I do enjoy Gen IV Radar chaining, but I'll only ever advocate for the original way. I don't appreciate the boosted odds in any game at all, and especially hate it in Gen VI with the permanently nerfed odds.

Back