• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] (Help please) unLZ Doesn't Seem to Want to Import

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 30, 2020
So I was following KhaosKnight's tutorial on changing the Pokemon Emerald Title Screen, and I went through all the steps. I made an image, formatted it as a 128x128 tile set, used NTME to make and download a Tile Map, opened the ROM unLZ, tried to import.
It said I needed 818 (hex), so I converted that, looked in Free Space Finder for 2072 bits, copied the new offset, pasted it into the unLZ "Write to ROM" window, checked "Automatically Repoint", and hit okay. The thing gave me a message that said that the point was changed.
"Okay," I said, "Now for the .raw file thing." I went to 153, loaded the raw, wrote it to the rom, and then clicked back to 152 to see if everything worked. I then see the Rayquaza thing... I open up the ROM and am met with a terrible jumble of texture that obviously isn't what I imported.
I proceeded to load a backup 9 times and attempt with multiple variations: do the .raw thing first, do the .raw thing after you close and reload unLZ after the tile set import, loading a fresh, unedited ROM and trying it, etc.

The problem is that the .raw file is loading, and I can get a new palette on there, but for whatever reason my tileset doesn't want to import despite unLZ assuring me that it changed pointers and stuff. Help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jason

Attached are Cape.PNG, which shows a screenshot of one of the failure runs, and A thingplacething.PNG, which is the tile set I made for the title screen.

Attachments

• Cape.PNG
    Cape.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 12
  • A thingplacething.png
    A thingplacething.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 8

Phantom Phoenix

Lost on the road of life
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 1, 2020
By looking at those pics you have shown I can say that your tileset was imported correctly.And it looks like you haven't properly created the tilemap.Cause I can see some part of the tileset just down "Chronus Version". So, game is loading the tileset correctly.
I think you need to redo the tilemap in NTME or any other tilemap editor correctly.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 30, 2020
Thanks, I'll try that and see how it works.

EDIT: As a reference before I do this, does the .raw have to be imported before the tileset will show up? Because whenever I imported the new tileset without importing the tilemap, the game kept its old title screen. Is this something maybe with the version of unLZ or maybe what offsets in FsF I'm using?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023

EDIT: As a reference before I do this, does the .raw have to be imported before the tileset will show up? Because whenever I imported the new tileset without importing the tilemap, the game kept its old title screen. Is this something maybe with the version of unLZ or maybe what offsets in FsF I'm using?

Yes. The tileset is just the set of tiles that make up the titlescreen. The tilemap ( the .raw file) is what determines how said tiles are "arranged" on the screen.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023

Use TMC instead of NTME. It's much easier to use.
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310007

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 30, 2020
Hey, sorry I haven't replied, I've been swamped with work. Anyways, I retried the tilemap (twice) and I got it to work! Now all that's left is to do the palette thing! Thanks guys, you helped a lot.

Back