• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] .rar file type help

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2012
Okay, I'm not sure if I am posting in the right place, but I guess I'll have a go at it.

I have been trying to get all these amazing pokemon hack games and all the files are downloading as .rar files. I have a VBA and I have no idea how to convert or patch or whatever it is to get it to work on the VBA. How can I get them to work?

Yes, I am very new to this stuff. I'm trying to learn, but, right now, I am very stumped.

Someone help me please!!!!!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Please use the Emulation forum to ask questions of this nature in the future. I'm gonna move it there now.

Moving on up

Years
.rar files are like .zip files. You need to extract them using a program like 7zip (my personal favorite, actually - free, safe to download at www.7-zip.org , and can extract a lot more than just .zip or .rar files). The file you need to patch will be in the folder that was created when you extract the .rar file. Instructions on what to do before you play are here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73966

Though those instructions may be a bit outdated, since they are from 2006 and contain information only on GBA-based ROM hacks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2012
WinRaR is free you just have to hit okay to the notification saying you only have 30 days left every time.... the trial version never really runs out however (been using it on 2 computers for a couple of years now, havn't paid a cent)

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
WinRaR is free you just have to hit okay to the notification saying you only have 30 days left every time.... the trial version never really runs out however (been using it on 2 computers for a couple of years now, havn't paid a cent)
7zip doesn't complain at you.

The technical answer: .rar is one of several filetypes that have two main purposes: Storing and compressing files, notably because the .zip, .rar, and .7z are container formats, the are a convenient way of storing and transferring many files at once. Try installing 7-Zip as recommended earlier.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Back