• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
One thing, i can't understand how to make MrD's patch work. The instruction on the documentation is not clear.
Using a hex editor, go to 0xAC in your rom. On the side, you will see text (BPRE would hope, lol). Type over this will MrDS, then load your rom up in the suite. It will read from MrDollSteak's section of the ini and load
everything just fine. After the first loading, it is okay to change it back to BPRE.
I cant seem to understand the bolded part. :)

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
One thing, i can't understand how to make MrD's patch work. The instruction on the documentation is not clear.

I cant seem to understand the bolded part. :)

That would be me typing things wrong. (You've got hand it to me though, I didn't make that many errors.:P)

Go to 0xAC in a hex editor. Then, one the side, you should see BPRE. Change it to MrDS, then save. Load the rom once, close the program and change it back to BPRE. Now it should load fine.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
That would be me typing things wrong. (You've got hand it to me though, I didn't make that many errors.:P)

Go to 0xAC in a hex editor. Then, one the side, you should see BPRE. Change it to MrDS, then save. Load the rom once, close the program and change it back to BPRE. Now it should load fine.

Oh, thanks KK! I guess it should be fine now. =D
small mistakes cause a lot of trouble, really

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years

There's actually been some discussion about this. Jambo says there's a second, unused cry table after first (directly after). Doesnt says it's for moves like growl and howl and stuff, which is why they're reversed. Instead of expanding the cry table, I left it and replaced after. So far so good, nothing to report broken. Idk.

karatekid552

Years
Oh, thanks KK! I guess it should be fine now. =D
small mistakes cause a lot of trouble, really

+1 man, that damn +1.......... Lol, worst mistake in the history of simple mistakes is forgetting the +1 in ASM.:P

There's actually been some discussion about this. Jambo says there's a second, unused cry table after first (directly after). Doesnt says it's for moves like growl and howl and stuff, which is why they're reversed. Instead of expanding the cry table, I left it and replaced after. So far so good, nothing to report broken. Idk.

Personally, I have no idea. In order to find out, why not set a break on read to the first 6 pointers in the second table, then play through a good chunk of the game. If nothing is triggered, you may be alright.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Thanks for the tool, I have some questions:

Will you make it compatible with Pokemon Emerald, please?
Is it compatible with expanded rom's?
If not, will you make it compatible with those rom's, please?

Good job ;)

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024

It's unused. I was mistaken and probably just broke something else accidentally when I initially tested it.

karatekid552

Years
Thanks for the tool, I have some questions:

Will you make it compatible with Pokemon Emerald, please?
Is it compatible with expanded rom's?
If not, will you make it compatible with those rom's, please?

Good job ;)

1) It is, only expanding pokemon doesn't happen because there is almost NO research into that area in any other game. If someone does perfect it like Doesnt did, I will add it.

2) Completely.

3) Same as 1^^ Completely compatible except for expanding Pokes.

karatekid552

Years
The best Romhacking Tool ever. ;)

I agree.:P Thanks!

Anyway, I completely redid the position editor.:D Now it is much, much cleaner and more responsive:

Spoiler:

So yeah, I want to release my Linux version (as shown here) but I can't get it to compile into a binary properly.:( There is a bug running though pyinstaller that either doesn't import my GUI or doesn't import Python depending on my settings. So obviously without one or the other this won't work. I am still looking for a solution. However, the Windows version will get a bump up to version 1.1.0 either tonight or tomorrow.:D

Success! Using a development version of pyinstaller, I was able to avoid the bug and now it runs on Ubuntu 13.10 as an executable. That file will be available tonight.

Last edited:

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
I agree.:P Thanks!

Anyway, I completely redid the position editor.:D Now it is much, much cleaner and more responsive:

Spoiler:

So yeah, I want to release my Linux version (as shown here) but I can't get it to compile into a binary properly.:( There is a bug running though pyinstaller that either doesn't import my GUI or doesn't import Python depending on my settings. So obviously without one or the other this won't work. I am still looking for a solution. However, the Windows version will get a bump up to version 1.1.0 either tonight or tomorrow.:D

Oi oi oi! That looks very pretty KK! Love the repositioning thing ^^
Good job!

Years
  • Age 53
  • Seen Sep 24, 2014
The Icon editing part of the Suite seems to change the color of inserted images weirdly. When I use Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor, the image saves just fine, then if I used the same image in the Suite, the image colors become weird.

karatekid552

Years
The Icon editing part of the Suite seems to change the color of inserted images weirdly. When I use Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor, the image saves just fine, then if I used the same image in the Suite, the image colors become weird.

That is because the icon needs to conform to one of the in game palettes. I have yet to write an algorithm to select the best palette, so you will have to eyeball it by loading it into each one an testing it. There are only three, so I hope you can handle that.:P

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I've been having trouble aswell, three different things actually. One When I try to give one of the expanded pokemon Tutwig I added in myself a evolved form it doesn't load the new names thus it causes Turtwig to just evolve into itself. Two When I try to set the level to eighteen it just reverts to Level 1. and Three When I try to add in a new sprite passed my inserted Torterra it brings up a LZ777 Error

karatekid552

Years
I've been having trouble aswell, three different things actually. One When I try to give one of the expanded pokemon Tutwig I added in myself a evolved form it doesn't load the new names thus it causes Turtwig to just evolve into itself. Two When I try to set the level to eighteen it just reverts to Level 1. and Three When I try to add in a new sprite passed my inserted Torterra it brings up a LZ777 Error

1 & 2) I see both errors now and they will be fixed for the next update.

3) This is because all of the new pokemon share the blank sprites and paletes, so if you repoint with the "Fill sprites with FF box" checked, then the old image that all of the other sprites are using is gone and thus won't load. I had implemented code to uncheck that box if the sprite and/or palette was blank, but everything has bugs, so be careful.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
1 & 2) I see both errors now and they will be fixed for the next update.

3) This is because all of the new pokemon share the blank sprites and paletes, so if you repoint with the "Fill sprites with FF box" checked, then the old image that all of the other sprites are using is gone and thus won't load. I had implemented code to uncheck that box if the sprite and/or palette was blank, but everything has bugs, so be careful.

Well I know that I didn't check the Fill sprites with FF Box figured that one out myself when I first tried the expand Pokemon. Btw I've noticed if you actually change the thing at the end of Mr. DS's Patch to FFFF in HXD then load it up in The suite it actually writes a different set of numbers to that spot

karatekid552

Years
Well I know that I didn't check the Fill sprites with FF Box figured that one out myself when I first tried the expand Pokemon. Btw I've noticed if you actually change the thing at the end of Mr. DS's Patch to FFFF in HXD then load it up in The suite it actually writes a different set of numbers to that spot

Can I have your sprites for testing?

Have you not read up on my ini system? I think you need to read my documentation I wrote. That is part of my dynamic ini system and happens on any rom. If you look in your ini, there is a new section with a number that match the one at 0xFFFFFE in the rom. If you reset it to FFFF, the suite assumes you are loading a new rom and therefore sets aside a new section for it.

Years
  • Age 116
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
Hey, I can't get this to work for the life of me. It won't load anything giving me these weird errors even though I'm using my vanilla rom as well. Can you help me out with some input?
http : // i . imgur . com / dV3CHg9 . png
Sorry about the spaces, the 15 post spam filter thing isn't really nice for peeps who need help. :c

Back