• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Awesome Map Editor (AME)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021
I had some ideas for the other -sadly cancelled- editor which you may can implement.

1. A Filter/Search function for the wild Pokemon editor (most useful would be filtering by type and dex number, but also useful could be filter by bst and stage of evolution)
This could be implemented, but what usage case do you see this in? Maybe I just am not getting what exactly you mean.

2. Another feature would be the possibility to view neighbouring maps in the map header when needed. This would be helpful to not always having to jump between maps to know if the borders were mapped correctly. Definitely, but how about greyed out in the actual mapping view itself? :D

3. I would like to see the possibility to edit multible blocks at once in the block editor.
Hmm...I don't quite see how useful that could be. Could you elaborate on possible uses?

4. When enlarging a map in amap it always enlarges it to the rigth and bottom. It would be useful to have the possibility to decide in which of the 4 directions the map should be enlarged.
I'm thinking of making enlargement really intuitive, letting you actually drag out the boundaries of the map in whatever direction you desire in order to expand it.

1. Well it would save scrolling time. If i for example want to put all 1 stage bug types of all gens into the viridian forest, i would have to scroll a bit to include the ones from the later gens. With a filter one could make the list way smaller and thus edit the wild pokemon faster

2. Yes greying out to not confuse the neighbour map with the current map would be neat!

4. Thats sounds better then what i imagined, would really like to to see that!

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
Thanks for your response...

I hope I won't sound demanding but I would like to suggest some more features (of course, only if possible and if you want to):

• Add new tileset without replacing others...
  • Town/Fly Map position editor (and preview)...
  • Easy-to-use tile animation editor...
  • Support for expanded ROM (and addresses)...
  • Properly showing expanded OWs and their palettes...
  • Separate Wild Pokémon data for specific time (will only work if Day and Night system is installed; the first time slot is the default; can use AM/PM for R/S/E)...
  • Dive support for FR/LG (will only work if the Dive routine is installed)...
  • Import/Export maps...

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Extremely amazing! Could you implement a new day and night system which has the following feature: the lamppost, the windows and the doors will light up at night?
I'm trying to decide whether or not to include the same DN system I have in CrystalDust, as it's kind of a pain to use. I think I could find a better way to program it but I'm not sure.
1. Well it would save scrolling time. If i for example want to put all 1 stage bug types of all gens into the viridian forest, i would have to scroll a bit to include the ones from the later gens. With a filter one could make the list way smaller and thus edit the wild pokemon faster
Would being able to type in the name of the Pokémon suffice? Or do you think filtering by type would be of much more use?
Thanks for your response...

I hope I won't sound demanding but I would like to suggest some more features (of course, only if possible and if you want to):

• Add new tileset without replacing others... Yup!
  • Town/Fly Map position editor (and preview)... Yes!
  • Easy-to-use tile animation editor... Definitely, with previews on the map!
  • Support for expanded ROM (and addresses)... This will automatically happen just based on the way I'm programming it.
  • Properly showing expanded OWs and their palettes... Yes!
  • Separate Wild Pokémon data for specific time (will only work if Day and Night system is installed; the first time slot is the default; can use AM/PM for R/S/E)... Of course!
  • Dive support for FR/LG (will only work if the Dive routine is installed)... Hm, this one's interesting. I'd want to allow users to install the dive routines inside of AME too, but that's not completely within the scope of a map editor... however, maybe it could be included.
  • Import/Export maps... Yes!
Responses in bold.

Mueez

Currently Working on "" POKEMON :MYSTERIES OF LEGE
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2023
@diegoisawsome
This MAP editor looks great!
I'd like to suggest more features also
1. Like from A-map 1.95 ,There's a big block copy/paste thing. I'd like that to be implemented (Saves a lot time , especially in forests and caves)
2. You know about ShinyQuagsire's Map Editor of Happiness a.k.a MEH, There's a pretty nice connection editor. Like move maps according to your needs unlike A-map (That connection editor stunk). MEH's connection editor had Multiple maps opened up and you could move the maps according to your need.

Sorry for my bad english .

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
I'm trying to decide whether or not to include the same DN system I have in CrystalDust, as it's kind of a pain to use. I think I could find a better way to program it but I'm not sure.

Would being able to type in the name of the Pokémon suffice? Or do you think filtering by type would be of much more use?

Responses in bold.

That's awesome man! I'm curious about your plan of making the Dive routine insert-able, does that mean that other things for the Dive like the pre-move message (i.e. "Would you like to use Dive?") can be customized using this editor? And are you planning the same for other moves like Whirlpool, Headbutt and Rock Climb (and even Defog or Secret Power)? I'm not requesting it nor suggesting it but I'm just curious since some things like the message might not be customize-able...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021

I guess for most people it would likely suffice, i personally dont like tipping lol. And i also often have only a rough idea of a lot of Pokemon names since i am not a native english speaker. For example i know Typhlosion is the end form of the 2nd gen fire starter line, but i dont know its pre evo forms with names in english. If i wanted to place the 2nd gen fire starter somewhere i would usually scroll to typhlosion and then chose the Pokemon 2 places above him. Some Pokemon names are also difficult spell.
The filter could be of more use to get an idea of how many Pokemon of certain aspects are there. If i decide for example to have 5 water routes and want to evenly distribute all Water Pokemons amoung them, i can filter all water Pokemon, count them and then distribute them evenly. Counting without the filter would be a bit more difficult, especially if i use a custom Pokemon dex so cant use the internet for help.

If you decide to only make it possible to type the name, could you make it that suggestions are listed when typing (like in online search engines)? So after typing "Ty" all the Pokemon whos names start with ty are listed as suggestions.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016
Hey diego!

This looks like its off to a good start. You have really improved as a hacker over the years and with your attention to detail this can be a great editor!

Good luck with everything, Ill definitely be watching out!

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
I don't know how to react, as your nick states, you're AWESOME.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 1, 2017
i am so hyped for this instead of having to chop and change between the Stable AM 1.95 to actually do the mapping on my romhack and changing the wild encounters in 1.92

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
The fact that this is a clone of A-Map is the best thing ever. Not having to relearn the essential mapping tool is a big plus.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but EliteMap had a function that allowed you to shift a map by as many tiles as you wanted. So if you shifted your map one tile to the right, the whole map would shift over by one tile, and the rightmost column of tiles that were "lost" show up on the left. I find myself wanting to use that function almost every time I map because I oftentimes make the unreachable but viewable areas too big and it ends up wasting space that can be cut. Without shifting the map, I have to rely on the "Bigger Block" functionality to copy and paste large sections of tiles (and it's easy to screw that up), and then trim the map's height and width to get rid of the now useless sections. Shifting the map would also help in some other fringe cases that I know I've run into while mapping, but can't immediately think of at this very moment. I literally still have and use EliteMap just for the map shifting, and then switch back to A-Map when I'm satisfied with the shift.

Again super excited for this. This will be truly awesome.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 6, 2016
Looks great! Can't wait for the first demo. Will you also include some kind of undo for the movement permission editor? I sometimes screw up when using the magic wand and lose 5 minutes of work. :(

Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2023
Ooh, this looks promising. I've never been very good at the hacking side (I'm better at the spriting part), but as I try to get more into it, Advance map's lack of support for an expanded pokedex really was the worst thing (and the need to hex edit and work with 1.92 to even do so at all).
I see fixing that is already part of your plan, so I look forward to when this comes out.

pokedude9

Creator (with Diego) of AME and ASE
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys, sorry for beeing inactive for so long. That wasn't a fair act I pulled off 2 moths ago and I deeply apologize for it.

Me and diegoisawesome have decided to collaborate and port AME to C++ using the Qt framework in order to ensure cross-platform compatibility without changing the code/framework across platforms. I decided to come back because I didn't think it was fair to stop working on the editor and deleting my source on top of that.

Unfortunately, we both are quite busy and will be barely available until summer (and diego is still also busy learning C++ and getting into the Qt framework) but we won't disappoint you for sure!

I hope you're okay that I posted stuff in your thread, diego. I'll leave any further words to you. =)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Pokedude is back, **** yes

6faaa08700cb0741e8ba3c5fed121449.png

Hope this comes out great, woo

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Lol. I don't give 2 squirts of piss what it's written in. As long as it works better than A-map and across all major OS's, I'll be happy. Good luck.
You probably should care, considering this will make it significantly easier to immediately have ready across multiple systems, on top of running much faster than the implementations I was thinking of. This is definitely a change for the better!

Back