• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever visited the deep web?

Years
I'm interested in it, but I wouldn't attempt it for fear of accidentally reaching the dark web. :') I've seen many documentaries about this and how everything can go horribly wrong if you're not fully prepared that my sanity overrides my initial curiosity.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
No (not that I'd even know how). Creepypasta and stuff makes it seem all cool and mysterious, but in reality, it's not a good idea to go snooping around places like that. The regular internet has traumatized me enough.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I tried once, but didn't get Tor to work, so I left it that way.

From what I know, the majority of it is just databases that simply don't get tracked by search engines. There also seems to be a bunch of places for people who really want anonymity (forums for people who fell victim to specific crimes, etc.).

I've also heard that the amount of illegal sites on the dark web is not as big as people make it out to be. So, basically any type of "knowledge" about how terrible the dark web is, is probably coupled with a lot of misinformation and lack of knowledge.

Would I be interested to try it out sometime? Sure, I'm from Europe afterall. We gotta figure out some way to keep some freedom on the internet. Therefor any option that provides that freedom is one to be considered.

Bay

Years
I haven't yet. I don't know of the stuff about the deep web is true or not, but rather be safe than sorry.

There is one time my friend's brother did, and his sister got pretty mad. I don't remember exactly what he was looking at, though.

Years
https://www.dictionary.com/e/dark-web/

Above is a dictionary definition of the deep web, and how it differs from the dark web. You've all been to the deep web, you just don't know it.

What is the deep web?

The deep web means it isn't indexed by a search engine. Majority of the data stored online is actually deep web. Your email inbox is part of the deep web. Activities as mundane as editing a private journal, viewing online medical records, bank statements, uploading videos, watching movies on demand and other services that require subscriptions are the deep web. Even forums that require registration and passwords to access pages, *cough* sound familiar?

If you can't directly visit a page just by clicking the link, and have a security setting as prerequisite then you are leaving the surface web and visiting the deep web. That's all it means.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_web

You do not access the deep web through anonymity networks like Tor, that is specifically the dark web, which is what I think we are actually talking about in this thread. I have never been there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_web

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Deep Web is scary? Not so and you get different meaning between dark and deep web.

Deep web is a site that cant be searched by any search engine and mostly its below the surface web, most of them are private stuff that cant be access publicly think as iceberg but on the middle, while surface web is well surface..

Now lets go deeper down to the depth..

Dark web is dark, grimly and mostly illegal part of deep web because you require special browser which let you access .onion domain. Dark web is much shadier place because illegal materials like selling drugs, hiring hitman, pedopile and sorts of shady illegal things you can do there and most content and service there only accept bitcoin why because there are illegal. You dont want to stumble there or you get hit by a nasty virus/malware. So enter at your own risk.

Back