• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some Discussion - The Future of Pokémon

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Realistically I see it going on for a long time as its status quo formula has been upheld with little criticism up till now, and as long as it's popular people will continue to buy their products.

But honestly, how many new Pokemon can they make until it's a mess and super unbalanced? I mean it's already close. It's quite worrisome how GameFreak will handle future games, I know the franchise is fine in a sense where games will keep being made due to popular demand but the quality of those games is what I'm worried about.

Last edited:
Years
I don't blame the many people here who feel pessimistic about the future of Pokemon. But I do think that pessimism is.... rather excessive, if I'm going to be honest.

It's fine if you're not a fan of what Gen 7 and LGPE had to offer, and understandably so. These two are pretty much prime examples of Kanto "pandering" at their prime, and there's no doubt that some just long for the days of Gen 5 when all we got was just an original region with an original story with an interesting evil team with interesting goals. I get that.

But (and maybe this is naive for me, but I will keep being optimistic here), I do strongly believe that there's no real point for Game Freak to milk out Kanto any more. They've done it for two (three if you count XY what with the Kanto mega-evos) generations straight already. Unless in Gen 8 they literally allow you to travel to Kanto for god knows what reason (which seems pointless when LGPE is pretty much your go-to Kanto switch game), I think we're going to get some pretty decent games from here on out.

That's just me, though. I think the whole 20th anniversary thing might have jaded people a lot since it's pretty much all a celebration of Pokemon's roots, but since that's long over, I'm fairly sure we can start seeing good stuff again. Especially with the departure of Masuda, which therefore means whoever takes over as director would, at the very least, have some fresh ideas to bring to the table.

Years
its a bit worrying for me tbh. its definitely a problem when people get sick of the standard formula of the games. they tried variation with alola but most people i've seen still does not like this alternative (i like it personally) so there's that. still, im looking forward with what gamefreak has for gen 8

Years
It could be a total Fortnite affair, where they sort of drive it into the ground before it's lost it's pulse, or, and I side with this, things will pan out and they'll pick up their game. Pitilessly optimistic but no faith, no change. Gamefreak have given me some brilliant memories and I like to think that they'll always have a soul when it comes to new entries. Maybe it'll go downhill every once and a while, but it'll surely pick up. They'll realise that if they want to save the franchise, they've got to think about the older fans who need a challenge. There's not much industry in catering game mechanics for toddlers... right...?

So yeah, fingers crossed! I hope they change their art style, though. Chibis are bleugh-gurgle-eugh and I have a craving for old Ken Sugimori aesthetics.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
The franchise will stay strong, even if the days of PokéMania are long gone.

Pokemon was never particularly balanced to begin with competitively, since each new counter seems to make life even harder for competitive play. We went from blizzard Tauros and amnesic Mewtwo to the busted Tapus, the impenetrable Dusk-Mane Necrozma and Toxapex, and not to mention, Mega Fug (Rayquaza).

Back