• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Long range trainer?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
What glitch are you exactly talking about? Most glitches work in the digital copies.

Years
  • Age 34
  • EU
  • Seen May 31, 2018
What glitch are you exactly talking about? Most glitches work in the digital copies.

The long range trainer glitch is where you press the start menu just before an npc starts a battle with you. Then you fly/tele/dig away and fight another pkmn. Depending on the special of that pokemon when you return to the location of the npc a wild pkmn will appear (Mew.)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
It still works. Many people have done this glitch on their VC releases of the original games.

For the VC release, the original glitches and bugs were kept in place.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
The long range trainer glitch is where you press the start menu just before an npc starts a battle with you. Then you fly/tele/dig away and fight another pkmn. Depending on the special of that pokemon when you return to the location of the npc a wild pkmn will appear (Mew.)

Oh, the mew glitch. Yeah that works. The code for the digital copies is unchanged, so most glitches should work unless you needed to mess with the cartridge or gameboy in some way.

Years
  • Age 34
  • EU
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Oh, the mew glitch. Yeah that works. The code for the digital copies is unchanged, so most glitches should work unless you needed to mess with the cartridge or gameboy in some way.

Does this mean that come Sun/Moon we'll be able to have legit (ish) mew's in game :p

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I thought the only thing it affected were your E4 entries? The Pokemon you caught were as if normal? I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure that Mew (caught through the Mew glitch) is a normal Mew, with normal stats and such. Glitch Pokemon can end up with messed up stats depending on how they're generated, but I think the Mew glitch generates a normal Mew, so it should work fine. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo bans it to prevent people from abusing glitches and transferring said glitch Pokemon forward to future games. (I had a game that stopped working after doing the Mew glitch, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was actually a hardware defect that happened to hit around the same time. I've found some other similar reports recently, but it took years after my issue to find anything. I've had no issues with the Mew glitch on VC, though.)

Glitch Pokemon can do more than mess up the E4, though. I think it actually writes to the save file partially whenever you have an encounter, and while everything (besides the E4 hall of fame) is generally fine, if it happens to write garbage to the wrong place, it can screw up the save file. And some lesser-known glitches can cause a lot more problems than that (based on a lot of reading I've done plus a bit of first-hand experience).

Years
  • Age 34
  • EU
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Glitch Pokemon can do more than mess up the E4, though. I think it actually writes to the save file partially whenever you have an encounter, and while everything (besides the E4 hall of fame) is generally fine, if it happens to write garbage to the wrong place, it can screw up the save file. And some lesser-known glitches can cause a lot more problems than that (based on a lot of reading I've done plus a bit of first-hand experience).

It wouldn't be the Glitched Pokemon but the glitch itself surely? If you were to catch a Pokemon glitched or not it would be stored in the same place. However glitching a Pokemon into existence would be jumbling code up, normally memory addresses?

As you said from experience I know that some glitches can damage save files or even corrupt the game. But I've never had an issue with Pokemon themselves causing corruptions (even the level 154 Charizard I caught :p)

User Anon 1848

Damn Imperanator has me too scared to try the Gengar glitch now lol. I was only planning on glitching for the Pokemon you can't noramlly get in-game but it seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth. I'll settle for just getting the Mew methinks.

Years
  • Age 34
  • EU
  • Seen May 31, 2018
Damn Imperanator has me too scared to try the Gengar glitch now lol. I was only planning on glitching for the Pokemon you can't noramlly get in-game but it seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth. I'll settle for just getting the Mew methinks.

Honestly man I wouldn't worry about it at all I've done it loads on my yellow cartridge. Got Gengar, Mew, Nidoqueen (lvl 7 lol) ands plenty of others.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023

Getting a Gengar or any Pokemon that you can normally find in the Pokedex should be fine. Nothing to be scared about there. I would just be careful with glitch Pokemon that are being generated from random parts of the game's data (the ones with glitchy names and such). The long-range trainer glitch should be fine if you use it for things like Mew, etc., and I think underflow experience glitches should be ok too, it's just when you start generating glitch Pokemon with glitch moves that you can have some bad side effects and/or potentially wipe your save file. The Missingno glitch is probably fine when it finds normal versions of level 100+ Pokemon, so long as those are valid Pokemon generated based on valid data. (The same thing goes for catching Safari Zone Pokemon in the strip of land on the east edge of Cinnabar, or whatever else you stick into the data; it's something about how the data is read/processed to generate Pokemon like Missingno and 'M that's a problem, I think, so normal Pokemon generated from your name are fine, even if they're over level 100.) The cases where you want to be careful are where you're writing junk to the memory or creating Pokemon data from things in the memory that were not intended to be read as Pokemon data.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2019
Missingno has a predictable effect, since it's trying to read a garbage sprite from the same place in ROM all the time, it overflows and starts writing to the Hall of Fame save data (since it's in the same bank as space for decompressing sprites) and write some garbage only in that spot. What actually gets written to the Hall of Fame can cause more random effects because it might read something from RAM which writes something else to RAM, so my advice is avoid saving your game after viewing a glitched Hall of Fame.

Back