• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Contract Challenge 2018: Sign up for round 6!

Years
I've also just finished Ookami-san.

I doubt I'll write a full review but I will say I enjoyed the episodic parts. It had a fun cast and good more importantly good thighs. Probably the most 2010 anime I've ever seen.

Years
I think I won't be able to finish Michiko to Hatchin as I have more exams each week now and no time to watch. I was able to see 6 episodes so far and I love it. I love the settings, characters (and fanservis that comes with them) and opening. I'll certainly finish it after all the exams.

Years
Alright, I' not quite finished with Shirobako but I don't see the next few episodes changing my opinion much.

I like it. It's a really different anime to most of the others I have experienced and it's enjoyable in a very different way. The animation, the story, the sound - none of them are particularly amazing but none of them are bad either. Overall, Shirobako seems like it should be a very run-of-the-mill, 5/10 anime. Yet it isn't.

There's two areas Shirobako does very well in that set it apart. The first and most tangible is the characters. The characters are for the most part, not particularly deep. However, despite the extremely large cast, they are almost all unique, enjoyable and compelling. The writers did an excellent job of sharing screen time between most of the characters and making each and every one of them interesting and enjoyable to have on screen.

The second thing that Shirobako does very well is a bit harder to define, but I'd say it's immersion. From the very first few moments of the anime, Shirobako does an amazing job of drawing you in. You really feel how frantic and intense work at Musashino is and you get a very good feel for how difficult the anime industry can be - especially for newcomers. It was this factor above all else that really won me over, I was completely and utterly immersed in what I was watching.

The only major flaw I will say I noted with Shirobako, is that it didn't seem to know where it wanted to centre its story for the most part. It seemed torn between focusing on events following the staff of Musashino and the individual struggles of the "central" characters for want of a better word. I think a clearer perspective would have helped make a good anime even better but it was still extremely enjoyable.

Next one will be starting in a day or so.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Currently about halfway through Cross Ange and I'm definitely into it.

I went in knowing basically nothing about the show other than that Meyfey was a pretty big fan of it, so I was slightly sure what to expect. Then about 1 minute in I immediately knew what to expect.

So where to start, where to start...let's go with the fanservice, I suppose. That's where I started with Mayo Chiki, that's where I'll start with- oh right, about Mayo Chiki. So, ended up finishing the show. The ending was actually pretty alright save for the fact that it ended on a very OVA-esque note thanks to the what must have been obligatory episode 13. It surprisingly (and rightfully) never dipped into full-on harem territory and actually had a conclusion of sorts, and I really like that sort of thing, certainly wasn't expecting it. I'd basically be throwing my voice into an echo chamber by saying this since I know how well regarded MC is, but if you're interested it gets better as it goes so I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Anyway, back to Cross Ange. So generally I'm not a fan of the fanservice of this show, and that draws less from how it's used and more from the character designs. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't really mind shameless fanservice in a show. It's not that I generally like it or anything, but I do think there's a pretty big difference in a show just randomly showing some teenage girl's panties from a low angle and a show episode one being like "look, this show's got scantily clad girls, fragile clothing, and a very horny cast so if you aren't into that aesthetic than maybe this show isn't for you." This show is definitely the latter, so it comes with the territory and I'm fine with that.

But the character designs really look Sunrise, and they're animated and (on occasion) storyboarded in ways that make them look very...Code Geass, I suppose. Problem is, not a lot of the designs look very interesting or unique or, probably the most important piece to this little wall of text, attractive, which makes the scenes where some girl's just chilling in a bath or has her armor broken seem really odd, if nothing else.

This in mind, Ange, post-haircut, has miles and away the best design in this show. Very pleasant to look at and generally just good for whatever they want to use it for.

Speaking of animation and storyboarding, this show is very peaks and valleys in regards to that. In general most of its fight scenes, particularly the ones that aren't 2D, are pretty well animated and the mechs bring out just about everything I like about a good mecha show. They also have these sleek designs that I've always been a fan of for mechs- not that they're my favorite but when they're animated well they feel very nice to use which, in turn, makes them fun to watch. Then there are the non-battle scenes, which are pretty alright sometimes, and other times it seems like the team completely forgot that shading exists.

Mooooooving right along to the story and characters, I've been pretty happy with how the show decided to pace itself at the beginning, mostly in terms of Ange's feelings in regards to norma and how she went about excepting herself as one- well, particularly that she doesn't for a solid amount of time. One could easily write this off as them trying to fill two cours with padding, but I'll take any show that realizes a character with deep-seated beliefs won't be so quick to undergo any sort of paradigm shift and give it a thumbs up, and this show absolutely nails that.

Speaking of the characters, I'm enjoying them so far. Ange's a good deal of fun, cold-hearted as she is, the candy gang (as I call them) are basically Mean Girls- yes, the movie- if they were in a mech show, and they really bring that teenage dramedy vibe that really hangs over this show (and it's better off for it). Then there's the Ange Support Group, and I pretty much liked them since moment 1.

So all-in-all, I'm liking it and do think it's a legitimately pretty good show. Props, Mey, you finally made me say it.

Years
Spoiler:

Sign-ups for round four please!

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I ended up getting sidetracked this past month by playing .hack gu almost every day after work and getting nothing else accomplished, but this month should be different. Let me try again.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
Years
First off, I'M SORRY FOR NOT DOING MY THING LAST MONTH I REALLY AM
School is a thing and I've been on a Fate craze lately. Also I've been playing a lot of games on mobile and stuff. I'm fine for this month, even if school is gonna be even more of a pain because I have to do Regents Prep and even if there are a bunch of anime that I want to watch this season.

Years
Spoiler:

Here are the pairs (and one trio) for this month.

gimmepie and aeternum
Lipstick Vogue and Dawn
Doge and gangueevee
Zemanharad ---> Donavannj ---> Machomuu ---> Zemanharad

pkmin3033

Unless you've already seen it. Then you get Suisei no Gargantia, I'm curious as to what you'd make of that. If you've seen that as well...send me a MAL or something so I can pick something you haven't seen. xD

Years
You get Keijo!!!!!!!!

Unless you've already seen it. Then you get Suisei no Gargantia, I'm curious as to what you'd make of that. If you've seen that as well...send me a MAL or something so I can pick something you haven't seen. xD

I have actually seen both of those, watched them as they aired. https://myanimelist.net/animelist/gallivant

Have you got a MAL? Just realised who you are, is in the directory.

Last edited:
Back