• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Speculation

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
Pokestar Studios is the name for Pokewood. I finally realized what the "wood" in Pokewood stood for.

I like the English names so far. Nothing that new considering most of the region was already translated a year ago, but still a little bit fresh.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Corless?
Really? It's such a strange name, they could of just stuck with Akuroma or changed it to Achroma.
Marlon is an good name, just wondering how they came up with it.
Most of the new English names are really good, especially Roxie. :D

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Corless also sounds a bit like coldless (Kyurem reference?). I think it's the most evil sounding name ever...even more so than Ghetsis and Cyrus.

Marlon makes me think of sea (Mar is spanish for sea). Not sure where the lon comes from though...

Marlon is pretty much a play on Marlin, which is a type of fish(derP) as far as I know. It's cool that you saw Mar (or Mare in Latin :P) in it though.

I just don't get why they'd give Akuroma such a weird name. I see the evil and stuff, but it just sounds so AWKWARRRD....and like the name of a weird chubby pirate captain...Captain Corless....ewww.....it is just such a weird name and he will always be known as Akuroma to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'd love the female protagonist to be Alli or Allison, but that's what I already plan on naming her when I play my game haha. So...I kinda do want it to be official, but I kinda don't, cause then it'll be the norm and I will feel less original. ;( I could have sworn I read it was Mei though? The guy should be named UMMMMMMMMMMM Gira because he reminds me of Giradialkia idk. :)

So far I like the English names, like Roxie and Marlon, but Corless is...odd. Banjiro should be COJIRO! cause that'd make me smile. Maybe he'll be Trey, if his full name is Alder III because people usually use Trey for the third in the line.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Awww, I'm glad someone else sees it. :) She reminds me of me, and I wish my name was Alli so I guess that's where it stems from. The male protag totally looks like a Kyle (not referencing Totally Kyle js). Cole would work too, but I'm leaning more towards Kyle. Banjiro could also be Trois lol. ;) Banjiro is an awesome name on its own though. I wish we could just keep it. XD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Meh, I don't like the sound of Banjiiro, so I'm hoping that they change it. However, I do like the idea of Kyle for the main protagonist. Has a nice, cute ring to it that may of the others don't have (gold? Red? rly?)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I CHANGED MY MIND I DON'T WANT ALLI TO BE HER NAME NOW cause I'll feel unoriginal ;o; I do like the sound of Kyle and Alli (or Allison) much better than Hilda and Hilbert. Like...idk what they were thinking when BW was getting localized. :/

Years
Since we only have the protagonists and Banjirou's English names not revealed, I guess this should now be called the "Banjirou and B2W2 Protagonists English Name Speculation Thread".

I did come up with a few themes for the protagonists' names but now I have a new one.

Kyle and Remy. It comes from "Kyurem", the version mascot.

Remy is a unisex but more common as female name so that's what I chose for the girl cos: Kyle + Remy = Kyurem.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Perhaps the girl's name would be Alice, or Lea,perhaps Isa.

I can see Alice working too, yeah.

Kyle and Remy. It comes from "Kyurem", the version mascot.

Remy is a unisex but more common as female name so that's what I chose for the girl cos: Kyle + Remy = Kyurem.

I like this, except when I think of Remy, I think of Remy the rat from Ratatouille. Great movie and all, but Remy the rat is a boy. So I just think of it as a male name. They could go for a more obscure name like Rema though perhaps. Or maybe the guy could be Remy and the girl could be Kyra or Kylie. Something more uncommon, I suppose. After all, Lyra isn't really a common name and that's HGSS' female protag. So eh, you never know.

Years
I like this, except when I think of Remy, I think of Remy the rat from Ratatouille. Great movie and all, but Remy the rat is a boy. So I just think of it as a male name. They could go for a more obscure name like Rema though perhaps. Or maybe the guy could be Remy and the girl could be Kyra or Kylie. Something more uncommon, I suppose. After all, Lyra isn't really a common name and that's HGSS' female protag. So eh, you never know.

I was going with a theme relating to Kyurem.

Remy is like, one of those unisex names. I see a few girls with it. Although Rema sounds like a good name to go with that theme.

Male protagonists usually get the "primary" part of the theme while female protagonists get the "secondary" part of the theme. That was what they were doing when they named protagonists after game versions and also what they tend to name some characters in the Pokemon Special/Adventures manga.

Kyra sounds too similar to Lyra, so I wouldn't like that... it's like how "Mei" sounds too similar to "May".

I couldn't think of any "ky" names for the boy so I went with Kyle.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, not many male "Ky" names. Also, his Japanese name is Kyouhei so...idk maybe it actually will be Kyle? Mei makes me think of May too, but I don't think they'd reuse another protagonist's name. So maybe Mia or Mya? Which imo don't suit her so I kinda don't want those lol... Remy and Kylie still fit the Kyurem thing you were going for, just swapping Remy over to the male player. But I do think that's pretty clever! You know, I'd really take any name over Hilda and Hilbert honestly. lol So even if the girl is named Remy, it's WAY better than Hilda. Hilduhhhhhhh.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Well we know the protags are going to have matching names. Their Japanese names have things to do with transparency so I'm thinking

Clark and Clara. Like clear. But then again Touya and Touko were to do with transparency too but we got battle names -_-

*checks what battler is in other languages* Or better yet, battle names.

Girls

Spoiler:

Boys
Spoiler:

There's more than that but those are the ones I liked. Though they don't match, I can see Boris and Deborah because they gave us Hilbert and Hilda last time. I like Art and Avril though.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Clark and Clara...I can see that tbh. He looks like a Clark. She looks kinda like a Clara I guess? :( I dislike the matching names though, if that's the case again. It's not like they're fraternal twins or something so idk why they have to match. They haven't really matched before BW, have they? Brendan and May, Lucas and Dawn...maybe there's something I'm missing. I guess I should look up the meanings lol. :( And if those examples do actually match, at least it's not an obvious match like Hilda and Hilbert.

Years
Well we know the protags are going to have matching names. Their Japanese names have things to do with transparency so I'm thinking

Clark and Clara. Like clear. But then again Touya and Touko were to do with transparency too but we got battle names -_-

*checks what battler is in other languages* Or better yet, battle names.

Girls

Spoiler:

Boys
Spoiler:

There's more than that but those are the ones I liked. Though they don't match, I can see Boris and Deborah because they gave us Hilbert and Hilda last time. I like Art and Avril though.

Interesting choices Bluerang, I like Harvey and Madison.

Just remember that we can only have 7 letters in our character's name cos of space limits.

Back