• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What are you working on?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I don't see this section used much for discussion so I thought it'd be kinda fun to swap a few stories of our current projects and how they're going. #game-dev on Discord doesn't have to get all the fun, after all. Remember not to use this thread to recruit for your projects though, as there's a proper place for that.

I'm in the early planning stage of an open-world Gen 3 style game in an oriental region. Actual development hasn't begun yet because I'm hoping to use Marin's Project MK instead of Pokémon Essentials, but we'll have to see how that turns out. For now, I've just been having fun making spreadsheets and story segments but I can't wait to start programming.

Last edited:

PurpleSmeargle

Composer, Spriter, Fakemon Artist
Years
I'm currently working on a mi-openworld mi-linear RBY prequel. Cuurently writing the story. I'm helping other projects too.

Can you give more details about "Marin's Project MK" ? I searched for it and didn't find anything.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
I'm currently working on a mi-openworld mi-linear RBY prequel. Cuurently writing the story. I'm helping other projects too.

Can you give more details about "Marin's Project MK" ? I searched for it and didn't find anything.

What are the words mi-openworld and mi-linear supposed to be ? I never seen "mi" used as a compound adjective before what does it stand for?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022

Pokémon MK is a new engine + kit in the works. It's in very early stages, but we've got a lot of core functionality already thought out (and basic stuff like maps, NPCs) are already implemented (to some degree, not everything is definite yet). Unlike RPG Maker XP, it will be customized for Pokémon games and thus make everything a billion times easier. More information can be found on the Discord, but here's a small list of features and plans (quoting from the Discord, may be subject to change):

As this is a brand new engine, we can add things useful for creating Pokémon-style games, such as shortcuts for events (think about giving Pokémon, giving items, controlling money, etc.
We can do everything how we want it ourselves, and take suggestions from other people.

As for features, here is a list:
• Our framework uses RGSS 3, which is a lot faster and better optimised than RGSS 1 and RGSS 2. This allows the game to run at a solid 60 frames per second.
• Our framework uses Ruby 2.1.0, which is a huge improvement over RPG Maker XP's Ruby 1.8. More features, more support, faster, etc.
• The game is intended to be playable cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux)
• We have full control over the engine behind it; we can change things as we please, as can users who are just using it. It's open-source and absolutely free (GitHub)
• 7 individual layers for mapping.
• Infinite priority (z) values.
• Infinite terrain tags.
• Events can define their own priority value.
• Maps made in RPG Maker XP and Tiled can be imported and converted to maps usable with this engine.
• More control over maps, as you can set properties such as passability, terrain tags, and priority values per tile. Those values do not depend on a tileset, which means you can make your map perfect when it comes to that. Though, to lessen the workload in that regard, tiles also have such properties per tilesets, "defaults" if you will. You can override those per map.
• Extensive documentation on classes, methods, and scenes, as well as documentation for eventers.
• Everything is worked out in detail. From mockups to references, and from screenshots to videos. Documentation is an important factor for us.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2021
• Our framework uses RGSS 3, which is a lot faster and better optimised than RGSS 1 and RGSS 2. This allows the game to run at a solid 60 frames per second.

More accurate would be to say that Ruby 2.1 as you mention later would lead to increased levels of performance, since RGSS is just a library of sorts that extends the Ruby standard library.

Even then I think the 60 fps is more a result of MKXP using OpenGL for rendering instead of GDI which RMXP uses.

I am very much interested in your project though. Are you planning to re-use the core scripts from Pokemon Essentials? If not I would advise you to do so wherever possible. Re-inventing the wheel in most cases leads to abandoned projects. In any case good luck with the project! It's been a while since I've seen someone take on something so ambitious.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
More accurate would be to say that Ruby 2.1 as you mention later would lead to increased levels of performance, since RGSS is just a library of sorts that extends the Ruby standard library.

Even then I think the 60 fps is more a result of MKXP using OpenGL for rendering instead of GDI which RMXP uses.

I am very much interested in your project though. Are you planning to re-use the core scripts from Pokemon Essentials? If not I would advise you to do so wherever possible. Re-inventing the wheel in most cases leads to abandoned projects. In any case good luck with the project! It's been a while since I've seen someone take on something so ambitious.

I don't wanna turn this into a place for discussing MK, but I do want to comment on this real quick.

The description is slightly outdated (I wrote it when I still knew very little about MKXP), it's more so an emulation of RGSS 3 using different rendering/graphic backbones, as you mentioned.

And no, we'll be writing everything (major) from scratch. UI, mechanics, all that goodness will be done from the ground. Essentials has a very weird way of doing things from time to time, and because the (visual) engine itself is also customized for Pokémon games, typical Essentials scripts wouldn't work anyway.
I know it's ambitious, but I'm not alone, and the mapping system and NPCs are already implemented (just stating that as it's one of the harder parts)

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
MKXP sounds like a fantastic replacement for essentials. For now, I'll continue to use Essentials, as it's what I know best. And I've made some progress in my game project to where swapping engines now might not be the best idea.

To keep this on topic, I'm currently working on a pokemon game in essentials called Pokemon Erison. It's based on an idea i thought up though i need to totally rewrite the script as there are too many elements within it that don't make sense.

I also want to try my hand at hacking a 3ds pokemon game. Not sure if I will succeed but I'm going to try.

Last edited:
Years
I'm working on a mashup between Pokémon and Starbound. The foundations for space navigation have already been laid, I'm now in the process of creating tiles so that I can start mapping the planets.
I'm also working on a Crystal Game Framework, which will be similar to the Ruby Game Scripting System that most of you are probably used to seeing. It's very early in development, but I hope to use it for some of my own games in the future.

Mewleon01

Nyoomster
Years
I'm working on a online game known as Pokecards, a Hearthstone and Pokemon hybrid project. All that I do atm is fix up balancing as I have nearly over 560 cards in game so far. It's currently in open beta with about 110 unique users registered!

Someday when I have freetime as well. I also want to try my hand at a ROM hack using RMXP and essentials!

^^

fatmanjumprope

黒雷 神 エネル
Years
Currently working on a game. Nothing serious as of yet as I'm still making major story adjustments and such. I've managed to get together a full fledged game up to the first gym and rival battle after. It's about 3 total hours of gameplay so far.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Thus far my ideas are few and rather vague, and I still didn't make any progress,
aside messing a bit with sounds(opening door from Ranger+closing door from Smash64=epic victory),
the beginning lecture, learning regard the usage of soundfonts for rearrangements, making
a few custom PC box backdrops and listing a few soundtracks I could recycle or rearrange...
Perhaps I should actually do something about the tileset first, since
it's what the player sees and travels through...
Hm, anyone got tips about the making of a grass texture?

Also, existential dilemma... do you think the pokémon world has the concept of country
we have? Some fans are more prone to deem regions as part of something bigger, some
others as things on their own, and there's SEVERAL things through the canons that favor
one side or the other... I know that Almia & Kalos had kingdoms once and in the anime
microstates are seen from time to time (Mirage kingdom, Rota, Lucario Kingdom, Azoth kingdom)...

EDIT: Oh, and if I'm not mistaken we once could change the played sound in the door events...
now however I don't see any "playSE" commands? Did anyone happen to know a way to change
the played SE without changing the door.ogg files with others that have the same name and format?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2018
I'm trying to make a really meticulous remake of Pokemon Firered. Today I spent some time trying to figure out how to make a Pokemon Tower fog effect that matches the one in the game. I was able to rip the fog effect cleanly from a ROM, but neither the native RMXP fog or picture functions do quite what I want...so I will have to do some more thinking.

Yotes

GameDev
Years
I'm trying to make a C&D-proof indie game inspired by Pokemon, coded from scratch in Unity. 4 years deep into it and the vision is finally clear. Just grinding it out day by day and hope it's done sooner rather than later.

I'd love for it to be a hit on the app store so I could make a living working on my very own take on Pokemon and Zelda and other game ideas like that. Grew up wishing I could work for Nintendo, but with indie development being so accessible these days, I might be able to work on whatever I want if I somehow get my name out there and impress folks.

I'm trying to make a C&D-proof indie game inspired by Pokemon, coded from scratch in Unity. 4 years deep into it and the vision is finally clear. Just grinding it out day by day and hope it's done sooner rather than later.

I'd love for it to be a hit on the app store so I could make a living working on my very own take on Pokemon and Zelda and other game ideas like that. Grew up wishing I could work for Nintendo, but with indie development being so accessible these days, I might be able to work on whatever I want if I somehow get my name out there and impress folks.

How do you find Unity for making a monster catching JRPG? I really want to make my own game, but I feel like I can't justify spending so much time working in RPG Maker when I could instead work in Unity and learn actually useful skills for the industry. And it seems like Unity is really focusing on improving it's 2D section lately! What have been your biggest problems?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2022
Well, it's been awhile to be back here after so long. But I was working on a Pokemon Game centered around using a Popplio to explore underwater places and just trying to see how creative I could get using bubbles in place of things like hm's.

Just kind of wanted to make a game dedicated to my fave, and something I wanted to surprise a few friends with. But I got absolutely carried away and decided to make some grand epic fantasy instead of just goofing off with a small dog that sneezes bubbles which is really all I wanted personally out of it.

In the mean time though, I had been chipping away at a personal project with RPG Maker ACE, and Pokemon just kind of creeped into it's mechanics (Since Ultra was the last rpg I really had time to play) - and I did end up creating a few battle mechanics or using certain scripts to copy things, and it got me missing working on the project - so I kind of wanted to start up a super simple project.

Though it's been over a year since I've used Essentials, and I'd have to relearn nearly everything - especially adding new Pokemon to the game from gen 7 and how to remove things that I wouldn't need - but at the same time, I've gotten sort of comfy with ACE and have been considering using it for a "different" style of game centered more around contests.

Yotes

GameDev
Years
How do you find Unity for making a monster catching JRPG? I really want to make my own game, but I feel like I can't justify spending so much time working in RPG Maker when I could instead work in Unity and learn actually useful skills for the industry. And it seems like Unity is really focusing on improving it's 2D section lately! What have been your biggest problems?

It's been about 4 years to get as far as I am in this current project (basically rebuilding the entire thing for a third time, but now with complete understanding) but looking back at where all this self-taught stuff started it's been about 8 years of learning programming and making simple games on different engines to figure out exactly how games tick so I could put the pieces together in a way that leads to the creation of the Pokemon fan game I always wanted to make.

Just diving into Unity and watching all the tutorials YouTube has to offer is a great way to master it and build skills that could get you hired making games just about anywhere. I'd say go for it and figure problems out as they come by googling for answers like I did, and you'll be ahead of the pack.

Unity really is easier to use than ever, especially with the asset store constantly adding new cool tools. Now, the biggest problems? I'd have to say organization and motivation. Bug fixing can be a super headache if you can't navigate your messy work files, logic charts, and code. And finding the willpower to grind through days of minor progress and nothing to show for it can be very challenging.

So if your process is clean, you know what you're doing, you know how to Google things you don't know how to do, and you have the time and patience to spend years trying to make something, you can do it too. Hope that helps.

Years
Currently designing Pokemon and once their designs are at a place I like, I try to sprite them as best I can. Because I want my game to be like Unova in that it only contains native Pokemon, before I make new maps and areas in the game I need to figure out what new Pokemon will inhabit these areas and go about concepting/creating them.

Emeril126

Wannabe Psychic
Years
I currently have an Idea/story with a few concepts for a Pokémon game with a somewhat bigger region. I'm trying to show case the whole thing I made for it but I can't actually figure out how to show it off lol. (Granted its not much..)

Back