• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips needed for making in battle trainer sprites

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
As someone who has done much much art, but little pixel art, I am currently struggling with making the smaller pixel art in battle trainer sprites for a project I'm working on. I can do concept art and larger sprites VS just fine, but once I have to scale them down for in battle sprites, I'm struggling.

Any advice/rules of thumb you follow when creating these sprites? Making people with such a simplified amount of space is super strange to me, so if anyone would be down to give me pointers and tricks it would help me out a lot :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey! We actually have a pixel art tutorial here if you'd like to check it out! :)

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8907945#post8907945

It doesn't explicitly cover Pokemon spriting, but it's a great resource for the foundations of pixel art and may give you the insight you need to make your sprites. But I know how you feel, I was a traditional artist before I ever became a pixel artist, and the learning curve was much steeper than I had anticipated! If I can offer any decent advice, it's to start easy. Do a trainer recolor first, then maybe move on to some basic edits to get a feel for translating characteristics into such a small space. I also suggest you should sketch out your backsprite and pixel over it while using multiple references of other trainer sprites as a guide (which you seem to already be doing!).

Naturally though, like every other art on earth, the best way to improve is practice and time.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 11, 2020
Hey! We actually have a pixel art tutorial here if you'd like to check it out! :)

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8907945#post8907945

It doesn't explicitly cover Pokemon spriting, but it's a great resource for the foundations of pixel art and may give you the insight you need to make your sprites. But I know how you feel, I was a traditional artist before I ever became a pixel artist, and the learning curve was much steeper than I had anticipated! If I can offer any decent advice, it's to start easy. Do a trainer recolor first, then maybe move on to some basic edits to get a feel for translating characteristics into such a small space. I also suggest you should sketch out your backsprite and pixel over it while using multiple references of other trainer sprites as a guide (which you seem to already be doing!).

Naturally though, like every other art on earth, the best way to improve is practice and time.

Thank you a lot for the tutorial! I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to pixel art lol. Traditional --> pixel is strange. I've been practicing a lot, which I agree, is really the only way to truly improve. I just really hope that I can get good at spriting so that I'm not limited by what I can and cannot do. I'll keep hacking at it until I get it up to the level that my traditional art is at :).

Back