• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen To complete or not to complete?

Years
Hello everyone, I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. I'm a huge fan of Pokemon games, and I have played and beaten every single handheld game that has come out. My problem is I lost my Pokemon black and I had my Pokedex nearly filled. Thankfully I transferred most of the hard to obtain/old gen Pokemon to Black 2 upon it's release.

Now I started playing black 2 recently and I notice that I have many pokemon left to catch (easy ones, but over 300 [evolutions included]) My question is: Should I try and complete the black 2 Pokedex? or just wait for X and Y and transfer them there like I have been doing since gen 3.

P.S Should I complete it by having 1 of each Pokemon (for example: one Bulbasur, Ivysaur, and Venusaur , instead of Venusaur counting for each Pokemon) Literally one of every possible Pokemon.

All insight appreciated,

Armando.

Last edited:

KnockFan

Just a Beginner ...
Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2013
In my opinion, I wouldn't try to collect every Pokemon available just yet, unless you have some free time to kill. Wait until there's confirmation that you can transfer your Gen 5 (Black, White, Black 2, and White 2) to Gen 6 (X & Y).

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
In my opinion, I wouldn't try to collect every Pokemon available just yet, unless you have some free time to kill. Wait until there's confirmation that you can transfer your Gen 5 (Black, White, Black 2, and White 2) to Gen 6 (X & Y).

I wouldnt understand why they wouldnt. Especially for those competitive players such as myself. Who get the games not only to play but to stay current, which they will eventually require gen 6 games for next year.

Years
Yeah I feel like I should wait too, but I have a feeling that they are definitely going to allow transfer, I mean it's almost common sense seeing previous gens.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
You should complete it the Pokedex (SPOILER ALERT!)
[*]
  • Spoiler:

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm trying to do what you're doing with my White 2 - obtain one of every single Pokemon. I'd say I'm about 3/4 there, so I'm going to go for them all! It gives me something to do while waiting for X and Y, and I'll feel like I really 'completed' my White 2 if I do that.

Plus it's rather fun, I did that with Pearl Version and found some really cool foreign Pokemon on the GTS.

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2014
I wouldnt understand why they wouldnt. Especially for those competitive players such as myself. Who get the games not only to play but to stay current, which they will eventually require gen 6 games for next year.
Well as of right now, the issue has to do with the DS and the 3DS system not being able to talk to each other.

Despite that issue, GF might decide to change the IV system, or the data structure of the pokemon files in game. It wouldn't be backwards compatible then either. I'm personally hoping for this.

Personally, I think competitive players would be getting hampered by backwards compatibility, and illegitimate flawless pokemon being brought forward again. A true honest fair player would enjoy breeding and training to get their new pokemon competitive again.

Last edited:
Years
To be honest, do whatever you feel you want to! :)

I would also be one to wait and see if you can transfer Pokémon since it can make catching them much more easier, but if you're really bored and have nothing to do in Black/Black 2, then go on ahead and complete the Pokédex for those games!

Back