• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Should Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal come to the eShop?

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I would be so happy if they brought them to the eShop. Crystal is by far my favourite pokemon game. I can easily see myself spending many many hours on it all over again. It was actually the first game I played and loved. :)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I'd be all for it, but it's not just about patching in the wireless trading (which would be trivial to port), it's also a matter of doing something about the RTC. Do you hook it to the 3DS's time? Do you let the player set it in game and from there it tracks time by converting the 3DS time to the set time? Do you just emulate the whole thing in the emulator (which would have to be tracking time when not playing GSC)?

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I'd be all for it, but it's not just about patching in the wireless trading (which would be trivial to port), it's also a matter of doing something about the RTC. Do you hook it to the 3DS's time? Do you let the player set it in game and from there it tracks time by converting the 3DS time to the set time? Do you just emulate the whole thing in the emulator (which would have to be tracking time when not playing GSC)?

My guess is that the time-entry screen would default to whatever you set as your 3DS time. If you altered the time from that, then the game would know that your in-game clock was x hours off from your 3DS clock. Upon startup, the game would check the time on your 3DS clock, make any necessary adjustments based on how you set up the game, and tell you the resulting time. The DST thing could either be disabled (if you expect players to just adjust the 3DS), or you could leave the option in-game (kind of like how with Animal Crossing, you can adjust the clock either by changing the time on your console, or changing the time on the settings menu of the game itself).

If they wanted to do away with having players set the time at all, rather than having you set any of the time information, they could just jump to the confirmation message that they give after you've confirmed the time (like "_ o'clock? No wonder it's so dark!" or whatever the appropriate message is), and skip the player input step. On the whole, I would guess that it would be easier to fix the clock issues than to emulate trading wirelessly (which they had to figure out for the RBY release), so I wouldn't expect that to be a major barrier if they actually wanted to re-release GSC.

I was hoping for a GSC re-release sometime over the summer/early fall, but it seems like that's not happening. Still, I could definitely see it as a follow-up next spring, once they've updated Bank and people can transfer Pokemon from gen I to gen VII.

Years
In my personal opinion, they should have come to the Virtual Console a long time ago...seriously you guys, why on Earth are the older Pokemon games not on the Virtual Console already? This is a source of great frustration for old-school Poke-players like myself who for whatever reason are unable to play a physical copy of Pokemon GSC. So a Virtual Console release would be great!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I definitely wan't GSC to come to the eshop, I would buy both Crystal and Silver in a heart beat.
Me too, probably o: Because way back when, I played Gold, and more recently I've played Crystal on an emulator. But it would be nice to play Silver too. I liked Silver's sprites better than Gold's!

Years
Me too, probably o: Because way back when, I played Gold, and more recently I've played Crystal on an emulator. But it would be nice to play Silver too. I liked Silver's sprites better than Gold's!
Also Lugia knew Aeroblast in Silver and not Gold, I played every version of 2nd gen when I had a gbc and gba and Crystal and Silver where my favorites.

Back