• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition - Updated November 1, 2020!

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Pokémon Red★ and Blue★: Space World Edition

eyKe5Xj.png

Features:

This is a hack of Red and Blue that imitates the leaked Gold and Silver demos from Space World 1997 and 1999. It replaces the Pokémon front and back sprites, trainer sprites, tilesets, overworld sprites, SGB borders, and other graphics; ports features like shiny Pokémon and in-battle experience bars; and makes all 151 Pokémon available in one game.

For a full list of features, see FEATURES.md.

(Only the original 151 Pokémon are included! None of the beta Pokémon from the Space World demos.)

Screenshots:

b7PJFFO.png

Credits:

• The pret team, for the disassemblies that made this possible
  • Team Spaceworld, for data mining the beta ROMs and making their findings public
  • Luna (aka Mateo), for Pokémon Red++ as a reference and inspiration
  • Danny-E 33, for the original code to allow larger back sprites and experience bars
  • Crystal_, for help making shiny Pokémon appear in the wild
  • Poketto, for the player's back sprite
  • SteppoBlazer, for the old man's back sprite

Downloads:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 31, 2021
Nice! Now if someone were ambitious enough to repurpose the assets into Gold and Silver making it more like the original concept or even polish the leaked rom, if possible, that would be something else. *Hint Hint*.

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
If anyone tried using the IPS patches earlier, they were corrupted. I've uploaded some fixed copies.

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2023
I really really like this and I hope that someone will make a pokemon gold/silver hack with all the old sprites from the beta and the unreleased pokemons :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
The update is finished! These are now called Red★ and Blue★, with a lot more than just Pokémon sprites changed. Please see the top post for details.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Don't know if it's just me, but I get "Access to imgur is denied" when trying to click the links in your front post.

Imgur really hates us :(

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 9, 2022
Don't know if it's just me, but I get "Access to imgur is denied" when trying to click the links in your front post.

Imgur really hates us :(

Yeah, that happens when you click on an imgur link coming from Pokecommunity. You can simply copy the link into your address bar, or just refresh the denied page.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Are you planning on adding the demo/beta pokemon at some point?

It's unlikely. First of all, Gen 1 combined Pokémon and trainer IDs, so splitting those up to make room for 251 Pokémon would be complicated (especially since I'm less experienced with pokered than pokecrystal, and its code is messier). Second, some of the Spaceworld Pokémon would be pretty disappointing without their new moves, held items, or sensible locations.

What I can imagine is, instead of porting Spaceworld content to pokered, port Gen 1 content to pokegold-spaceworld when it's more completely disassembled. Then, backport the Sevii Islands from Gen 3: they're perfect for showcasing new Pokémon and tiles, and I can tweak the layouts to resemble the Spaceworld maps (e.g. those pyramids for the Tanoby Ruins). That would even benefit from the minigames, like Picross and the 15 puzzle, which can go in the Game Corner on Three Island.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
It's unlikely. First of all, Gen 1 combined Pokémon and trainer IDs, so splitting those up to make room for 251 Pokémon would be complicated (especially since I'm less experienced with pokered than pokecrystal, and its code is messier). Second, some of the Spaceworld Pokémon would be pretty disappointing without their new moves, held items, or sensible locations.

What I can imagine is, instead of porting Spaceworld content to pokered, port Gen 1 content to pokegold-spaceworld when it's more completely disassembled. Then, backport the Sevii Islands from Gen 3: they're perfect for showcasing new Pokémon and tiles, and I can tweak the layouts to resemble the Spaceworld maps (e.g. those pyramids for the Tanoby Ruins). That would even benefit from the minigames, like Picross and the 15 puzzle, which can go in the Game Corner on Three Island.

That makes sense. I hadn't realized there were that many demo mons, it's not something I've looked at too closely yet.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Rangi, this hack is really cool! This is what I think Kanto should've looked like instead of what we got. The sprites are so-so for some Pokemon (Fearow's ugly ass back sprite be damned). Beyond that, I like the new menu and Dex look. Future hacks of this gen and perhaps Gen 2 should use it. Gen 2's Dex was always not the best looking of the designs and the beta Dex reminds me of an old encyclopedia.

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
A new update is out!

Most of it is just bugfixes, but an obvious new feature is the new color palettes. Now maps look even more like the Spaceworld demo. (I didn't even have to pick "similar-looking" colors—the pokegold-spaceworld map palettes are clearly updated versions of the pokered ones, still corresponding to the Kanto cities.)

Here's a complete changelog on GitHub.

Anyway, the screenshots and patches have been updated in the top post. Patches should still be applied to unmodified Red and Blue ROMs, but after that, save files from the previous release will work with the new ROMs. (Unless you're on the Celadon Dept. Store roof, since it's using a new tileset.)

Years
  • Age 32
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Minor update today: the "Game Freak Presents" intro uses some Space World graphics, and more importantly, overworld sprites are aligned with the tile grid instead of being shifted up 4 pixels. This may look weird at first, but it's how the Space World demo worked. Please try out the new patches and let me know if this feature has any bugs!

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2018
Nice hack, I'm trying to make the rom from the github code but I'm getting a syntax error in the /engine/battle/core.asm:

Code:
ld a, Bank("Trainer Pics 2")
Any idea why this might be?

Last edited:
Back