• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you write a more mature and realistic Pokemon anime?

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
The Pokemon anime right now (IMO) is a sack of trash that's been burning for like 20+ years now, and it's being fuelled by (may offend some [if u can't stomach sick humor])
Spoiler:
. Now I would personally like to see a protagonist who is 13-16, and is a normal person. Not some unrealistically idealogical idiot like Ash. Also I want him to grow up. With time. Too mcuh to ask for ? :wink-right-eye: The antagonists have to be people who are actually evil, who have motives that make sense. A little more grown up. I want there to be violence. Not gun violence or anything like that, but actual fighting. The Pokemon Anime now is "Anime." It's more American style cartoon mixed with traditional anime. The Team Rocket's balsting off again thing is old and washed out. I wan't it to be something like the show the Mentalist. Every episode has it's own plot, but there are small updates on one main villain, and there is one goal set in mind. The current Anime does this, but it's too kiddish. Also, LET PIKACHU GET RUN OVER BY A DAMN TANK. If I see that mouse again, :pouting: What do you think of my idea, and what are your own opinions?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
You're asking too much of a merchandise advertising kid's cartoon. I think Pokemon Adventure's level of writing would be good for the pokemon anime. Not as generic, some actual attempts at characterization and plot and enjoyable for all ages, not just japanese kids that want to buy the new pokemon toy with their parent's credit card.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
You're asking too much of a merchandise advertising kid's cartoon. I think Pokemon Adventure's level of writing would be good for the pokemon anime. Not as generic, some actual attempts at characterization and plot and enjoyable for all ages, not just japanese kids that want to buy the new pokemon toy with their parent's credit card.

Perhaps, but I would like to see other concepts implemented. "Love is more important than power, blah blah blah" is such an overused concept, and it's pissing me off that all the main characters are so idealistic. Also, if it were up to me, characters like Bonnie would not exist. She was one of the main reasons I stopped watching the show. Why does there always have to be that annoying little squeaker? I don't mind younger characters, but there's a limit to everything. I feel they've been neglecting older audiences, and are focusing more on garnering attention from infants.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Perhaps, but I would like to see other concepts implemented. "Love is more important than power, blah blah blah" is such an overused concept, and it's pissing me off that all the main characters are so idealistic. Also, if it were up to me, characters like Bonnie would not exist. She was one of the main reasons I stopped watching the show. Why does there always have to be that annoying little squeaker? I don't mind younger characters, but there's a limit to everything. I feel they've been neglecting older audiences, and are focusing more on garnering attention from infants.

They aim at infants and kids because they have a strong influence over what their parent's credit cards is spent on.

There's no salvaging the anime at this point tbh. Trying to make it better means revamping it entirely so might as well fire all the current staff and make a new show with some substance.

Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
Note: I feel I should preface this by saying that I grew up alongside Pokémon. So if you read some of this and think "oh you dern kids don't know wut good is. yer versions are terrible" just remember I'm actually a sad sad adult with too much time.

If you want a slightly grittier version of Pokémon then I would recommend Digimon. Still a kid's show but like... there's some guns I guess. But if you aren't against the optimistic vibe aspects of the Pokémon series I honestly think you might enjoy the S/M anime. It gets a lot of flack and yeah, some of it is understandable, but at it's core I find it more enjoyable. The style is fun, the animators clearly enjoy working with it more. Also there are A LOT of references to other animes in it, sometimes just in the form of how a scene is animated or illustrated. So if nothing else, it can be fun to just try and catch all those. Plus if you want more character depth, this series is definitely a good fit. Sure it can be looked at as padding episodes, but often the scenes labeled as such are nice glimpses into their lives when they aren't fighting. Because imo fighting was never the big draw of pokémon. As a kid I didn't want to see two trainer's stand there and yell at their pets for 20 minutes. You can play the games and have more fun and investment in it. I wanted to see what pokémon were like in "real life", how people functioned in this world, how the bond between trainer and pokémon looked; stuff you couldn't do in the games. If not for the anime, despite it's lack of quality, I can almost guarantee you people would not give half a darn about this series if they had not put an anime out there to make you feel like there was more to the world than "me get monster, me use monster for kill other monster, me win small pixel badge".

I didn't mean to type this much originally lol. But in conclusion it basically boils down to this: if you want a more violent version of Pokémon then read the manga and if you want a more violent Pokémon anime then you don't want to watch Pokémon. If you really need to scratch that itch you can try to write fan fiction or maybe roleplay your version of this grittier pokémon world with other people. Heck, if you're determined enough you could pursue a career path towards making a new show based on the idea of "like Pokémon but edgy".
Hope this helps.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
Team Rocket doesn't really blast off anymore these days, so that's one wish granted. Anyway, I don't get why many older fans on places like YouTube and social media still expect the anime to cater to them when the show's main demographic is young kids in elementary school.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
Team Rocket doesn't really blast off anymore these days, so that's one wish granted. Anyway, I don't get why many older fans on places like YouTube and social media still expect the anime to cater to them when the show's main demographic is young kids in elementary school.

Thank you for brining that up. I meant to but totally got lost in my rambling. I really like that they've tried to change that up because as much as I loved the blasting off, it got reeeaaal old. Bewear is a terrifying chaos god and while some of it actually upsets me on a weird subconscious level, I love it.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Totally agree, that maturity should increase, but eh, what are you gonna do? The show is meant for kids, even if you want it to be something more.

If you are actually looking for mature content, just try reading a fan-fiction. There are plenty out there that do a solid job at presenting the works as if they were apart of the Pokemon series. I guarantee you will find at least one piece in the collection that speaks out to you, and meets all your expectations, and if your not a fan of reading, well I'm not saying you should, your life your choices, I'm only suggesting.

In the end all that is left is hope.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
If you want a dark and more realistic Pokemon story, then go play Pokemon Reborn.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I'm not asking them to close off the current anime, I meant to say that they could make an effort to make a series like Pokemon Origins except more realistic than that. I really do feel that Pokemon should remain a game for all ages. And when people talk about asking for realistic anime is bad, think about the episode with James and Jesse thing. I really don't wanna talk about it. But yeah. That.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
The Pokemon anime right now (IMO) is a sack of trash that's been burning for like 20+ years now, and it's being fuelled by (may offend some [if u can't stomach sick humor])
Spoiler:
. Now I would personally like to see a protagonist who is 13-16, and is a normal person. Not some unrealistically idealogical idiot like Ash. Also I want him to grow up. With time. Too mcuh to ask for ? :wink-right-eye: The antagonists have to be people who are actually evil, who have motives that make sense. A little more grown up. I want there to be violence. Not gun violence or anything like that, but actual fighting. The Pokemon Anime now is "Anime." It's more American style cartoon mixed with traditional anime. The Team Rocket's balsting off again thing is old and washed out. I wan't it to be something like the show the Mentalist. Every episode has it's own plot, but there are small updates on one main villain, and there is one goal set in mind. The current Anime does this, but it's too kiddish. Also, LET PIKACHU GET RUN OVER BY A DAMN TANK. If I see that mouse again, :pouting: What do you think of my idea, and what are your own opinions?

What do you mean antagonists that have a purpose? What about team magma? HAVE YOU HEARD HOW MUCH OF THE REGION IS WATER??? I DON'T BLAME THEM FOR WANTING TO MAKE IT MORE LAND.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
What do you mean antagonists that have a purpose? What about team magma? HAVE YOU HEARD HOW MUCH OF THE REGION IS WATER??? I DON'T BLAME THEM FOR WANTING TO MAKE IT MORE LAND.

You know what I mean. Team Rocket was there purely for comic humor and to "spice" things up. The other evil teams have similar purposes and the ones who are pretty evil don't do too good of a job showing it. In the games, Lysandre was actually psychotically evil. I don't think the anime could facilitate that. And I couldn't, for the life of me, finish XY because of Bonnie and other cringe factors.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
In the games, Lysandre was actually psychotically evil. I don't think the anime could facilitate that.

He was an egotistical, manipulative character in the anime, and his goal was also to wipe out all life on the planet. He was practically the same in the anime as he was in the games, maybe even more evil since he quite literally crucified Ash.

Last edited:
Years
Honestly, they already did a version of the anime with a slightly more mature tone with a bit more complexity and they did that without sacrificing the things that make kids love it. It was called the Sinnoh saga, or Diamond and Pearl (with added suffixes where applicable). XY went in a similar direction but fell a tiny bit short of the mark.

The main rivalry was more complex than just "I met this person a few times" or "this guy is an asshole", they explored all the protagonist characters and gave them all a fair share of the spotlight and the overarching plotline of those seasons was coherent and well written with strong antagonists. It's not that the show needs to give up entirely on the "kiddy" stuff to maintain its appeal to older fans, it's just that they need to bring the writing back up to a higher standard. They made some really good steps there through XY but it seems like maybe that dropped right back again in SM? I haven't watched the new seasons so I couldn't say.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Basicly take Pokemon adventures: Red chapter and make it an anime

Problem solved

Back