• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Custom Pokedex?

~Angel~

Lead developer for Pokémon Millennium
Years
I still don't understand how to make this work. If someone could explain how to make a custom pokedex on PkMn Essentials. See I want to make one called the Zeno Dex (Working on name) Which contains a few of the B/W pokemon and a bunch of others in a assorted manner. Is it possible to make a file containing the pokemon in correct order? If someone could explain how it works I would be glad because I am seriously confused about how it works right now.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The most time-consuming way would be to rearrange the contents of pokemon.txt, as well as renumber all the sprites/icons/cry files. I going to go out on a limb and say you don't want to do that.

Your other option is to create a Regional Dex. Two such Dexes already exist in a fresh copy of Essentials: the Kanto and Johto Dexes, which means there are plenty of examples to look at. Making a Regional Dex also involves editing pokemon.txt, but not as much - you just need to play around with the lines beginning with RegionalNumbers=.

Now, you haven't given us all the information. Will your game only ever be using this one Dex, or will there be a National Dex as well? If the former, then you'll want to set DEXDEPENDSONLOCATION=true and leave it at that. If the latter, then you'll need to set it to false, rename the Dexes accordingly just below that setting, and muck around with unlocking the Dexes later in your game.

~Angel~

Years
The most time-consuming way would be to rearrange the contents of pokemon.txt, as well as renumber all the sprites/icons/cry files. I going to go out on a limb and say you don't want to do that.

Your other option is to create a Regional Dex. Two such Dexes already exist in a fresh copy of Essentials: the Kanto and Johto Dexes, which means there are plenty of examples to look at. Making a Regional Dex also involves editing pokemon.txt, but not as much - you just need to play around with the lines beginning with RegionalNumbers=.

Now, you haven't given us all the information. Will your game only ever be using this one Dex, or will there be a National Dex as well? If the former, then you'll want to set DEXDEPENDSONLOCATION=true and leave it at that. If the latter, then you'll need to set it to false, rename the Dexes accordingly just below that setting, and muck around with unlocking the Dexes later in your game.
National as well. I understand you. I see that by editing the txt file it would take forever. So I see that it must be easier to use the RegionalNumbers= part.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I've been working on a custom Pokédex the past couple days.
Spoiler:

What I did was, Open: pokemon.txt
Since Eevee was my first pokémon in the Pokédex i went to that, but you can use CTRL + F to find your desired pokemon.
Somewhere in the pokémon's data they'll be a section called 'RegionNumbers=' (If it's in some of 3rd gen, and all of 4th you need to add it).
There will be two numbers, the first is the Pokédex number in the Kanto Dex (region) the second is in the national (full) Dex.
Change the first number to what you wish it to be in your Region PokéDex.
Then compile the data and check you pokédex and it should of changed.

~Angel~

Years
Spoiler:

Since Eevee was my first pokémon in the Pokédex i went to that, but you can use CTRL + F to find your desired pokemon.
Somewhere in the pokémon's data they'll be a section called 'RegionNumbers=' (If it's in some of 3rd gen, and all of 4th you need to add it).
There will be two numbers, the first is the Pokédex number in the Kanto Dex (region) the second is in the national (full) Dex.

Nice work. I think I completely understand. I will do what you are doing for now and if I find some other way I will make sure to tell people about it.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Spoiler:

Wrong, actually. The National Dex number is always the one in square brackets at the beginning of a species' set of lines. The RegionalNumbers= lines are for Regional Dex numbers only.

Of course, if you didn't want all 493 Pokémon in your National Dex (e.g. you were making a Gen 3-based game), you could make a second Regional Dex and call it the "National Dex". It wouldn't literally be the National Dex, but the player wouldn't notice any difference.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Wrong, actually. The National Dex number is always the one in square brackets at the beginning of a species' set of lines. The RegionalNumbers= lines are for Regional Dex numbers only.

Of course, if you didn't want all 493 Pokémon in your National Dex (e.g. you were making a Gen 3-based game), you could make a second Regional Dex and call it the "National Dex". It wouldn't literally be the National Dex, but the player wouldn't notice any difference.

Oh I see.
It's a good thing i don't require the national dex at this point of time then.

Back