• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] A Couple Questions for Game Altering Ideas

rawren94

A Wild Rawren Appears!
Years
Hello, I'm brand spanking new to game making. Been playing them for a long time but I finally decided to do something in my spare time and make my own (my own fakemon, characters, world, plotline, etc.)

I did however want to alter my game to be different from just a regular 8-badge, Team Bad Guy, gotta catch 'em all experience. These would be changes that would require coding for sure, but I wanted to know if these ideas were even possible first and foremost. So I thought posting them in one post and hoping for the experienced game makers might know a thing or two.

Ideas:

* Switching between characters (ex: having 2 or 3 characters you switch back and forth as during the story such as Main Character & Rival) Now with this the first problem I think of is what would happen post game. My solution would be something happen story wise to prevent being the other two post game, but I'm not so sure.

* Alternate Shiny Version/ Multiple Shiny Versions per Pokemon

* Possible to permanently take a pokemon out of a character's party per storyline (so outside of battle, example being during story to sacrifice itself for its trainer, that sort of thing)

* Get rid of the "Team Bad Guys" thing completely (not having one at all; the bad guy is one person throughout the whole storyline)

* Having "side quests" similar to Sun/Moon where if you show them a certain pokemon you get rewarded however make it so that the reward is experience towards your entire pokemon party

These are just a couple ideas I have floating around in my head. I am nowhere near ready to start making the game, as I am still making the characters and fakemon. However, some of the in-game coding (such as 1 bad guy, switching character, getting rid of pokemon) affects how I do my characters and plot line, which is why I am asking now.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
* Switching between characters (ex: having 2 or 3 characters you switch back and forth as during the story such as Main Character & Rival) Now with this the first problem I think of is what would happen post game. My solution would be something happen story wise to prevent being the other two post game, but I'm not so sure.

Definitely possible. I imagine you can use the gender system to change the player's sprite, and as for their party you can just save and restore $Trainer.party when the character switches. (Where to save it to? I imagine you can introduce a $Trainer.parties array, or something).

* Alternate Shiny Version/ Multiple Shiny Versions per Pokemon

See How to add second shiny form and extend it to more than two.

* Possible to permanently take a pokemon out of a character's party per storyline (so outside of battle, example being during story to sacrifice itself for its trainer, that sort of thing)

Easy, you just need to remove it from $Trainer.party without putting it somewhere else (of course if you want to give it back later you'll need to store it in a variable). As for doing that within an event, I don't know how, but I imagine it's pretty straightforward.

* Get rid of the "Team Bad Guys" thing completely (not having one at all; the bad guy is one person throughout the whole storyline)

It's probably easier to do this. Nothing in Essentials forces you to write a team into your story.

* Having "side quests" similar to Sun/Moon where if you show them a certain pokemon you get rewarded however make it so that the reward is experience towards your entire pokemon party

I don't see why not. Again you'll have to write your own script, but it should be easy enough to extrapolate from PokeBattle_Battle:pbGainExp and PBExperience:pbGainExperience.

rawren94

A Wild Rawren Appears!
Years
Thank you for going through my post bit by bit and looking at it for me! Nice to know the things I want to do are possible!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2019

Instead of switching between them why not have them tag along with you on your journey? I mean Ash traveled with Misty and Brock, right? Maybe not the rival, but if one is a friend maybe have them follow the player around and maybe focus on double battles.

Another thing that kind of popped into my mind was GTA5. Seemlessly switching between three protagonists regardless of where they are at in the world. That would be quite hard to do, but it would be kind of cool to be able to switch to the different characters and freely choose who you want to play with at the moment.

rawren94

A Wild Rawren Appears!
Years
@TheNegroShoddy

I was toying with ideas as to how to make the story better, and the idea I have in my head (all depending on the limitations of programming the characters and the game to do this, mind you, hence me asking that question) is this:

basically, I want you to play as the main character, and the rival (who is the main character's best friend). As the story progresses, the rival (for reasons unknown to the mc) joins up with the bad guy. (I'm still flushing this part out. But basically what I want to do is get people attached to both characters and the teams they make with both, and then when it comes time towards the end, you have to fight each other using the teams that you painstakingly created. Essentially going up against your own creation in a sense.

That's as far as I have it so far. Like I said, I am trying to make this different than what I have personally seen (if there is a game out there that does this that would be awesome)

Tell me what you think? I love to discuss ideas for sure, to get a better feel for what would work smoother.

Back