• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is social media reinforcing the worse aspects of people?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Positive:
• You can meet like minded people and make friends

Do people actually meet others on social media? I don't use any of them because to me, it was always about how many friends you already had that are there too.

I'm trying to imagine how weird it would be to just find a random profile and try to meet someone like that.

On a forum or something with shared interests, topics, etc, it makes sense, but straight up like that feels even more awkward than online dating.
In the extremely brief stint I tried them, I can honestly say I never *met* anyone.

Years
Do people actually meet others on social media? I don't use any of them because to me, it was always about how many friends you already had that are there too.

I'm trying to imagine how weird it would be to just find a random profile and try to meet someone like that.

On a forum or something with shared interests, topics, etc, it makes sense, but straight up like that feels even more awkward than online dating.
In the extremely brief stint I tried them, I can honestly say I never *met* anyone.

I've never met anyone online outside a forum setting myself, but I can say that I think your perception of how it happens isn't quite right. It's not just randomly visiting the profile of a person and starting a conversation generally, it happens much the same as it does here on the forums. You find yourself mutually involved in a community like a group on Facebook or both as followers of the same third party on Twitter, you repeatedly interact within that community and eventually one of you will DM or friend/follow the other and you'll start talking one on one. That's the impression I get anyway.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I'm sure that's not how meeting people on social media (or online in general) for the most part works. First off, would you really want to meet someone who wasn't exactly transparent with their appearance (and in general)? Secondly, I don't speak for anyone else but myself; the quality of their content also serves as a metric whether this person (or bot) provides a valuable experience both online & potentially in reality.

If there is a point to this, it's that this is not meet-at-first-sight. Well, if you do that, may whatever deity you worship help you.

I've never met anyone online outside a forum setting myself, but I can say that I think your perception of how it happens isn't quite right.
I wouldn't go so far as to say whether one's perception is right or wrong in this case, but rather a lack of imagination and/or fear of the consequences of meeting random people you haven't put a face on for the first time.

It's not just randomly visiting the profile of a person and starting a conversation generally, it happens much the same as it does here on the forums. You find yourself mutually involved in a community like a group on Facebook or both as followers of the same third party on Twitter, you repeatedly interact within that community and eventually one of you will DM or friend/follow the other and you'll start talking one on one. That's the impression I get anyway.
I would agree with this "impression".

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Then how do you go about every meeting someone that way?

I don't use it, so I have no clue. Pie made it seem there are community, aka forum, aspects of Facebook, or something akin to that? I'd never heard of that, so I have virtually no experience at all.

Last edited:
Years
I meant like talking to them online.
I wouldn't meet someone from the internet irl though because I'm very cautious

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
I think a lot of it is escapism. Most of us live in countries with shambolic economies and outrageous housing markets where we work long hours just to live. Being able to exit that whilst you're tired from the comfort of your own home is a much valued commodity.

i'm a bubble. pop me.

What words would satisfy you?
Years
Never really seen people use it mindfully.

I guess it can quickly suck you in, so it's probably rare for people to be mindful about it. I maybe see it something like eating in areas where food is abundant and easily accessible. I don't think many people really eat mindfully. We eat quickly and uncritically a lot of times. We eat what is convenient or easiest at the time and we use socia media because it's convenient or easiest at the time. But that doesn't mean we can't or don't try to discpline ourselves about it. And when you do that, when you think about it and act accordingly with your insights, you are already trying to be mindful. Even this discussion is a part of that process. For me the benefits of having social media is the ease of contacting friends I don't often see and having a platform that encourages me to develop or maintain a hobbie (like photography for example). Plus it's a place where you can find people you can relate to. If you to adapt your use around these needs without ignoring your other needs, wants and responsabilities in life, that to me is mindful use. It's really hard to be 100% mindful tho, but perfection is overrated anyway.

Back