• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Pyrite

Years
EDIT: Also, are "event exclusive" moves able to be taught by him as well? Such as Nidorina/Nidorino learning "Lovely Kiss" for example.
No, these kind of event moves cannot be taught.

So I'm getting really irritated with the Ecruteak move tutor. I'm trying to teach my Tentacruel Substitute and Swords Dance, but he randomly keeps suggesting bad moves (Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, etc.). Mind revealing how I can get him to teach my pokemon the moves that I actually WANT him to learn?
Here's some information. The move changes every hour (every real time hour, not every hour of play time). The tutor will pick a move at random, but all moves will show up at exactly the same rate across a week (each move will show 168 / X times per week, where X is the number of moves the pokemon can learn via the tutor, usually around 10-15).

I've found a bug: After beating Blaine, the door to the gym doesn't open back up until you save and reset.
That's weird. Do you have the latest version of the hack?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 23, 2018
Hi. This message is addressed at Crystal_ / the creator of the ROM--I know I just joined, but, I joined specifically for the purpose of thanking you for this ROM. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it, but I've been looking for a hard mode version of Crystal for...jeez, at least ten years and now I can finally play one that doesn't change the game into a completely different ROM. it's the original game, with a difficulty less 'kiddish' (which, to be fair, the original was easy even as a kid, save for maybe the last few gym leaders and Red). Both me and two of my friends downloaded it and all of us love it. It's one of the few hacks true to our memories, minus the map edits which are a welcome change, similar to how HG/SS were more of the same with some changes. I'll probably come back later to say more, but yeah, just wanted to show my appreciation for your hard work. You go man.

P.S. Out of curiosity, is Whitney's Gym shaped like anything with the map edit? (it used to be a Clefairy)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
Oh, my bad. Didn't notice the hack had been updated since I last downloaded it. I guess I was playing an outdated version this whole time.

Years
Hi. This message is addressed at Crystal_ / the creator of the ROM--I know I just joined, but, I joined specifically for the purpose of thanking you for this ROM. I can't imagine the amount of work that went into it, but I've been looking for a hard mode version of Crystal for...jeez, at least ten years and now I can finally play one that doesn't change the game into a completely different ROM. it's the original game, with a difficulty less 'kiddish' (which, to be fair, the original was easy even as a kid, save for maybe the last few gym leaders and Red). Both me and two of my friends downloaded it and all of us love it. It's one of the few hacks true to our memories, minus the map edits which are a welcome change, similar to how HG/SS were more of the same with some changes. I'll probably come back later to say more, but yeah, just wanted to show my appreciation for your hard work. You go man.

P.S. Out of curiosity, is Whitney's Gym shaped like anything with the map edit? (it used to be a Clefairy)

Hi, thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you're all enjoying Pokemon Pyrite.

As for the Goldenrod Gym, it's no longer shaped like a Clefairy or any other Pokemon.

Years
glad seeing some people actually like old generation games, i must say pokemon pyrite is one of the best hacks out there :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
THANK YOU for removing that Flash room at the bottom of Mt. Silver. I was dreading having to memorize every step of the room to not have to drag an HM slave along. Anyways... Damn, that Red battle actually managed to top that last Trainer House battle (though I swear to god, if I ever see another cursing/resting Snorlax ever again, there will be blood. That thing's more of a pain than any Uber I've faced so far in this hack). Though, has the final rival battle (at Indigo Plateau) been removed? Today's Wednesday for me and he's not there.

Anyways, this was a really fun hack. Overall, it feels a lot more balanced in terms of difficulty than other Pokemon games I've played, and it always forced me to stay aware of what's going on rather than just spamming 1 move throughout an entire route/gym. The only thing missing is probably allowing the AI to switch when they want (though I don't know how possible it would be to implement this in GSC, especially since Gamefreak themselves haven't done it yet). Other than this little issue, the AI, as well as moveset selections, are so much better than the originals. When deciding a certain matchup, I'm often thinking "Oh, does this guy's pokemon pack obscure counters to my own?" or something similar, though there's no illegal sets, so I can battle based on knowledge of the actual game.

I wish someone would make something like this for one of the later gens. The game's gotten a lot deeper since gen 2, so working with stuff like the physical/special split and all the new hold items, or even mega-evolutions would be interesting (though I'm not sure how long that would take, with 3ds emulation being so new, and even DS rom hacking still not being nearly at the level of GBA ones).

Years
Though, has the final rival battle (at Indigo Plateau) been removed? Today's Wednesday for me and he's not there
Yep, the rival will challenge you at mt silver instead (as you've probably noticed instead), but only once.

The reality is that I didn't bother that much with the AI. Mostly it was just making all trainer classes sharing the "smartest" AI layers, instead of just the boss trainers. I did work on the AI specific to a few moves that was handled pretty poorly but that was it. The multi-hit moves AI remained pretty bad, but the reality is that it helped balancing some strong Pokemon early on such as the Fury attack Beedrills or Spearows and Doduos in the first gym, so I sort of liked it. The same can be said about the Fury Cutter AI, but it helps balancing the second gym, arguably the hardest one unless you picked cyndaquil. Working on allowing the trainers to switch Pokemon would be a lot of work if I wanted to make these switches to actually benefit the enemy rather than the player, since switches give the other side a free turn. It'd be hard to actually make the AI outsmart the player in that department considering the player can always counter switch to get back the upper hand. In fact, the original AI of gsc might make trainers switch Pokemon, although very rarely, and I decided to remove that part altogether since often it just benefited the player.

Years
The Cleanse Tag bug has just been fixed and the hack has been reuploaded. The cause was that the 2-byte word of the Mystic Water price was shifted 1 byte corrupting the Cleanse Tag usage property. This was causing 3 glitches: Mystic Water's price was 3 pokedollars, Cleanse Tag displayed a useless USE option in the menu, and depositing Cleanse Tag in the PC led to undefined behavior.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
Years
Can anyone tell me where to find Paras? I want to trade it for the Larvitar, I've searched all the routes near Violet City but no luck.

Years
Can anyone tell me where to find Paras? I want to trade it for the Larvitar, I've searched all the routes near Violet City but no luck.
It appears near Violet City (you can use the pokedex to find the exact route), but only at a specific time of day. It's not hard to find Paras during the time of day it appears at.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
First of all, thank you for this awesome hack! That is just... awesome, nothing to say!

I saw here that you got a report of the trainers in rock tunnel acting like they were defeated. I had the same issue, but I was able to battle them normally as soon as I defeated Misty. And the same thing happened with the two trainers in Blue's gym. Before I beated Misty they wouldn't challenge me, after I battled her they acted normally. I hope this might be of any help for bugfixing.

Also I'm near the end of the game now and I have a problem. I can't fight the elite four for the rematch, even though I have all 16 badges. I also have caught all the legendaries and unlocked the path for mt. Silver, I could even fight Red if I wanted. But there's still the guy that tells me the E4 are away for training. Am I missing something? Or do I have to beat Red before the E4? That would be troublesome since my team is currently at lvl 91-92...

Years
Also I'm near the end of the game now and I have a problem. I can't fight the elite four for the rematch, even though I have all 16 badges. I also have caught all the legendaries and unlocked the path for mt. Silver, I could even fight Red if I wanted. But there's still the guy that tells me the E4 are away for training. Am I missing something? Or do I have to beat Red before the E4? That would be troublesome since my team is currently at lvl 91-92...
Yep, that's intended. You can't rematch [a harder version of] the E4 until you beat Red, and then their availability will rotate (when you beat one, you're able to fight the other, and so on). I believe you will have chances of beating Red with a level 90+ team if you play your cards well.

I saw here that you got a report of the trainers in rock tunnel acting like they were defeated. I had the same issue, but I was able to battle them normally as soon as I defeated Misty. And the same thing happened with the two trainers in Blue's gym. Before I beated Misty they wouldn't challenge me, after I battled her they acted normally. I hope this might be of any help for bugfixing.
I see. That should be enough to fix the bug with the rock tunnel trainers. I guess most people didn't notice it because they beat Misty before heading to the Rock Tunnel. I guess at that point I didn't realize that there was the option to go to RT before defeating Misty so I made the Misty script clear their flags.

As for the trainers in the Blue gym, where they showing up before you get the other 7 kanto badges? In theory they should not be there (and neither Blue should), until you get the Blaine badge and talk to Blue in Cinnabar.

EDIT: As you said, you went to Tunnel Rock before beating Misty, but, do you remember if you went to Tunnel Rock after beating the team rocket in Cerulean Cave?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
First of all thank you for the clarification! It was just me that I thought the reverse would be more natural. I guess I'll have to deal with the cursing snorlax then.
I see. That should be enough to fix the bug with the rock tunnel trainers. I guess most people didn't notice it because they beat Misty before heading to the Rock Tunnel. I guess at that point I didn't realize that there was the option to go to RT before defeating Misty so I made the Misty script clear their flags.

As for the trainers in the Blue gym, where they showing up before you get the other 7 kanto badges? In theory they should not be there (and neither Blue should), until you get the Blaine badge and talk to Blue in Cinnabar.

EDIT: As you said, you went to Tunnel Rock before beating Misty, but, do you remember if you went to Tunnel Rock after beating the team rocket in Cerulean Cave?

About rock tunnel I'm very sure I went there after beating team rocket in Cerulean Cave. And about Blue's gym, I got the Blaine Badge as the 6th badge in Kanto, before Misty's (I forgot where to find here so I moved on xD). After Blaine I could battle Blue as normal (aside for the non fighting trainers) as the 7th gym leader. But then I remembered where Misty was and beat her instead. After that the trainers in the gym challenged me normally.
Regarding that I also noticed I found Blue outside Blaine's gym before even entering the gym. Talking to him made him say he was going back to Viridian as normal. Then I went into the gym, defeated Blaine, went out and he was there again, saying the same thing. Though I might have restarted the game without saving after the first encounter (I'm not sure about this... I often restarted when losing battles xD) I'm quite sure finding him before even going in the gym the first time isn't normal. Could this also be caused by weird flags because I forgot Misty?

Years
About rock tunnel I'm very sure I went there after beating team rocket in Cerulean Cave. And about Blue's gym, I got the Blaine Badge as the 6th badge in Kanto, before Misty's (I forgot where to find here so I moved on xD). After Blaine I could battle Blue as normal (aside for the non fighting trainers) as the 7th gym leader. But then I remembered where Misty was and beat her instead. After that the trainers in the gym challenged me normally.
Regarding that I also noticed I found Blue outside Blaine's gym before even entering the gym. Talking to him made him say he was going back to Viridian as normal. Then I went into the gym, defeated Blaine, went out and he was there again, saying the same thing. Though I might have restarted the game without saving after the first encounter (I'm not sure about this... I often restarted when losing battles xD) I'm quite sure finding him before even going in the gym the first time isn't normal. Could this also be caused by weird flags because I forgot Misty?
What you are saying there makes sense because Misty sets/clears a bunch of flags and one handles the hidden/show of Blue in Cinnabar. It reuses one of the rocket flags in johto so Blue would be technically shown from the point you fight that rocket, until the point where you beat Misty. Then Blaine clears the flag so that Blue's shown again. A similar thing happened to the trainer's in Blue's gym.

I've just fixed the flag issue with the trainers in Rock Tunnel, and I noticed that you should've probably ran into a couple of "already fought" trainers in Vermilion Gym for the same reason. That should be fixed now too, but I'll see if I can get around the other issues before reuploading the hack.

The thing is, I did [intend to] make a requirement so that the guy in the lavender town radio doesn't give you the expn card for the pokeflute so that you cant awaken the two snorlaxes until you have al least 4 badges. That would mean that you need to get brock/misty/surge/saffron badge before you can progress through the other 4 kanto badges. But oh well, it looks like something went wrong considering that you could actually bypass that. So I guess I'll ask you some things...
Do you remember if you received the expn card (iirc that's how it's called) for the radio in lavender with only three gyms?
Did you not receive it, but you could actually pass to Celadon/Fuchsia? If so, did you run into any Snorlax? If you did, could you somehow avoid them without awakening them with the pokeflute sound in the radio?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
The thing is, I did [intend to] make a requirement so that the guy in the lavender town radio doesn't give you the expn card for the pokeflute so that you cant awaken the two snorlaxes until you have al least 4 badges. That would mean that you need to get brock/misty/surge/saffron badge before you can progress through the other 4 kanto badges. But oh well, it looks like something went wrong considering that you could actually bypass that. So I guess I'll ask you some things...
Do you remember if you received the expn card (iirc that's how it's called) for the radio in lavender with only three gyms?
Did you not receive it, but you could actually pass to Celadon/Fuchsia? If so, did you run into any Snorlax? If you did, could you somehow avoid them without awakening them with the pokeflute sound in the radio?

I see, if you had to have 4 badges before getting the expn card there would be no problem, since misty was already defeated. But I'm quite sure I got the expn card with only three badges. For sure I didn't get with only one, but I did things in this order: Pewter city, Cerulean city (not defeating Misty), Power plant/Cerulean Cave, Rock tunnel, Lavender Town, Vermillion city (you could get there from route 11 iirc), Saffron city and then the next gym I did was Fuchsia and I got there from Route 15. And I woke up the Snorlax normally, so I'm sure I got the expn card after Sabrina. So I guess there's something wrong in the check for the 4 badges. I know almost nothing about how this stuff work, but may I ask you how you implemented the check?

Years
Silly me, I've just noticed that I made it so that the only requirement is that you have the LT Surge badge, which is supposed to be the 4th badge you get, but not necessarily. I've changed it so that now having the first four badges (rock/water/psychic/electric) is required to get the expn card. The hack has been reuploaded including the following bug fixes:
- Entei learns Fire Blast at level 90 as intended instead of 70
- Cinnabar gym statues no longer freeze the game if talked to before defeating Blaine
- Need first four kanto badges to receive expn card
- Trainers in rock tunnel and in vermillion gym no longer possibly acting as "already fought"
Unfortunately, the last one won't be functional or work corerctly unless you started your game with the version of the hack that includes the bug fix.

Thanks for the bug reports, Gooddwarf.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
Silly me, I've just noticed that I made it so that the only requirement is that you have the LT Surge badge, which is supposed to be the 4th badge you get, but not necessarily. I've changed it so that now having the first four badges (rock/water/psychic/electric) is required to get the expn card. The hack has been reuploaded including the following bug fixes:
- Entei learns Fire Blast at level 90 as intended instead of 70
- Cinnabar gym statues no longer freeze the game if talked to before defeating Blaine
- Need first four kanto badges to receive expn card
- Trainers in rock tunnel and in vermillion gym no longer possibly acting as "already fought"
Unfortunately, the last one won't be functional or work corerctly unless you started your game with the version of the hack that includes the bug fix.

Thanks for the bug reports, Gooddwarf.

Thank you for doing such an awesome thing! I'm glad I could help fixing those bugs!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
(sorry for the double post)
I've defeated Red and the E4 rematch now; I just wanted to let you know that having an E4 rematch weaker than Red after beating Red seemed quite odd to me... In my opinion it would make more sense if you had the E4 rematch before the final and toughest battle against Red. That seemed just out of place to me. Aside from that thank you again, I really enjoyed playing the hack a lot!

Years
(sorry for the double post)
I've defeated Red and the E4 rematch now; I just wanted to let you know that having an E4 rematch weaker than Red after beating Red seemed quite odd to me... In my opinion it would make more sense if you had the E4 rematch before the final and toughest battle against Red. That seemed just out of place to me. Aside from that thank you again, I really enjoyed playing the hack a lot!

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed the hack. I designed the E4 rematch as a special bonus for when you complete everything else. Technically, I wouldn't consider it much easier than Red since you have to beat 5 trainers consecutively, and in the end Lance peaks at level 100 too. It's true that you can still use healing items between each E4 member and that individually they are weaker though.

Back