Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

TrollandToad.com

Old June 12th, 2017 (4:55 PM).
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mariow2 View Post
    everyone who is still posting, haven't you realised that I said I'm not intending on doing 4 gen hacking for now??
    This topic isn't about you and was never about you. You posed a question to the community and now the community is discussing it. This is what a forum is for. If you've already taken your conclusions from the posts, then you don't have to care that the discussion is still ongoing.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 13th, 2017 (3:17 AM).
    ASDBUDDY

Nature: Docile
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Leòmhann teine View Post
      First of all its Gaelic (Scottish) not Irish Gaelic. Second don't assume I'm Irish or Scottish just because that's the language my username comes from cause I'm American and the American dialect of English is my first language. Thirdly I said that "more than one" was not 2+. Cause it isn't you said it could be any number. However you said you only said 2+. In other words that wasn't entirely true.

Ok I concede you make your point (though you still only talked about the ROM and not the system).
      example: Pokemon cloud white(fire red hack)
      regions: 5 in total
      scenario time: >75hrs

works like a charm on my phone(in an emulator ofcourse)
      here is your proof gba roms AND system can both handle many regions and in this case a total of 5!

Name: Razor
      Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
      Pokémon SCARLET BLAZE BETA V1.1 OUT NOW!
      https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=392391
      https://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated-shiny/258.gif
      Old June 14th, 2017 (7:00 PM).

That would be interesting to see. I'm hoping gen 4 and 5 can be romhacked.
        Old June 14th, 2017 (10:06 PM). Edited June 14th, 2017 by Marin.

Nature: Calm
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
          This topic isn't about you and was never about you. You posed a question to the community and now the community is discussing it. This is what a forum is for. If you've already taken your conclusions from the posts, then you don't have to care that the discussion is still ongoing.
          Maybe you are right, I was seeking if there was anyone interested in gen4 hacking, and now, this post is one of the post on the ROM hacking that keeps showing up almost everyday. The Truth is, I would like to try gen4 hacking. The DS Pokémon titles are my favorites. But I'm just new to romhacking and I should try with something small. I'm just gonna sit around and see what happens with this thread next. Thanks for making me realize… although I should change the name of the thread. Maybe, "Can we make a start on Gen 4 and 5 hacking?" because some people will still be on GBA hacking long after this.

NEW ARGUMENTS!!

*Japanese hackers have recently discovered a way to expand Pokémon on Japanese Diamond and Pearl!

*Pokémon Gen 4 and 5 hacking tools have been around for a while now.

Pokémon DS hacks can be professional if we put the effort and care into it.

Name: Lilley
          Old June 15th, 2017 (11:49 AM).
          The Psycho Pokemon

Nature: Jolly
            My main beef with gen 3 hacking is people work off fire red far too much. That makes EV training a humongous pain, as there's no ev reducing berries. If people insist on making 3rd gen hacks still emerald should be the required ROM Base at this point...Otherwise it is time to move onto gen 4/5.
            Old June 15th, 2017 (4:50 PM). Edited June 15th, 2017 by FBI.
            Free supporter
            • Silver Tier

Quote:
            Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
            My main beef with gen 3 hacking is people work off fire red far too much. That makes EV training a humongous pain, as there's no ev reducing berries. If people insist on making 3rd gen hacks still emerald should be the required ROM Base at this point...Otherwise it is time to move onto gen 4/5.
            No. Code to make EV reducing berries has been publicly released for many years.

Most people are hacking Gen III because we have great tools, tutorials and resources available. As it stands, hacking the DS is mostly a problem of understanding the hardware and reverse engineering the gamecode from almost scratch. If you or someone with the same beliefs felt the interest to do so, that'd be a front running breakthrough. Though I don't really see the point unless you develop a game that uses both displays and takes advantage of ALL the hardware. Why hack NDS games only to output games of the same quality of GBA slideshow hacks?
            Old June 16th, 2017 (3:52 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by ASDBUDDY View Post
              example: Pokemon cloud white(fire red hack)
              regions: 5 in total
              scenario time: >75hrs

works like a charm on my phone(in an emulator ofcourse)
              here is your proof gba roms AND system can both handle many regions and in this case a total of 5!
              Pokemon Cloud White has lot of bugs..that's why I hate this game
              Old June 16th, 2017 (4:42 AM).

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=393373 Pokemon mind crystal (a mod of soul silver) is a good example of a DS ROM HACK including fairy type

Old August 1st, 2017 (4:18 PM).

Quote:
                  Guys... I've been thinking that we should maybe move on to Gen 4 and 5 games to hack now. Although we have been getting use to Gen 3 for a while now and we've squeezed alot of work into them, I think is time we could make use of 3d models and better hardware and/or software. Lot's of gen 3 games seem to have minor changes and just seem to be not so entertaining, even a gen 2 titles like Pokemon prism seem more fun! (and that surprisingly has 3d graphics compared to our gen 3 hacks! ) I understand you may not agree with me, but if you think about it there are so many advantages and you can improve it even more like how we add rom bases to our Firered and emerald games

Complaint 1 - But DS pokemon hacks lack support and are MOST LIKELY harder to make.
                  Solution 1 - Nope, they don't actually lack support, if you simply search pokemon gen 4 hacking tools you will easily find tons (and I mean TONS) of pokemon gen 4 hacking tools like Project pokemon rom editor or some gen 4 and 5 pokemon editors like Jackhack96's tool factory and just search pokemon gen 5 hacking tools and you'd be bombared with lot's of black and white hacking content. Even then, if you can't find anything, the only way you can have more support if you and more people make the tools to support!

Complaint 2 - There aren't many DS emulators out there!
                  Solution 2 - Yes there is, there is no$gba which supports GBA and DS roms! And there are emulators that also only support DS like desmume if you wanna keep visualboyadvance for your GBA and GBC games.

Complaint 3 - But we have everything we need on GBA pokemon hacking, it's gone so far!
                  Solution 3 - With DS pokemon hacking you have everything you need and more! Even if there isn't a rombase to add every single pokemon there, we still have to move on to make more. Rare wasn't familiar with the N64 at first when it came to making games, and they turned to be one of the consoles best publishers after a bit of getting use to, it could take a little getting use to and then be easy to hack ds pokemon titles!

Complaint 4 - But the game is newer and Nintendo will stop us from hacking on it!
                  Solution 4 - Nintendo will stop koolboyman from making an amazing pokemon hack (prism) on a 16 year old game!! Nintendo will just stop us hacking anything of their's, we still hack gen 3 titles even though Nintendo will try and stop us! Just get use to it!!

So, what I'm trying to say is that we need to move on and advance to Gen 4 and 5 hacking otherwise we might just end up with the same boring old hack, think of it! 3d Visuals! Greater graphics!! Better hardware. There's nothing stopping us to make a new different crowd and evolve our hacking world! Consider the change! Is good!
                  Just inspired me to start ROM Hacking. Always been interested in it, yet I never really thought about doing it myself. I guess I'll start now
                  Old August 5th, 2017 (7:56 PM).
                  Uruguayan Random Guy

Quote:
                    I think is time we could make use of 3d models and better hardware and/or software.
                    How exactly?
                    Even if all the ASMagicians of this community started to make researches on any of the Pokémon NDS Games it would take a good while for people to come up with usable tools that make use of those investigations.

Quote:
                    Lot's of gen 3 games seem to have minor changes and just seem to be not so entertaining, even a gen 2 titles like Pokemon prism seem more fun! (and that surprisingly has 3d graphics compared to our gen 3 hacks! ) I understand you may not agree with me, but if you think about it there are so many advantages and you can improve it even more like how we add rom bases to our Firered and emerald games
                    I didn't finished Prism yet, but 3D Graphics? On a GBC ROM? What I played of it hadn't anything like that.
                    Make use of 3D? In what incredible and astonishing way could you use the game's 3D Capabilities?
                    It's basically only used for maps and cutscenes, and I'm sure that manipulating them will be hard af.
                    You're definitely going to expend way more effort with them than with the 2D Maps of the Pokémon GBA Games for a similar result. If anything, it'll be way easier to start using right now the Pokémon Unity Engine.

And let's not forget how it took more than 10 years for the Pokémon GBA ROM Hacking Scene to reach the state it is in today. Hell, the Pokémon R/S Disassembly Project is finally reaching an usable state and once completed, it will probably open a lot of doors and make everything easier than ever before, even.

If Pokémon Prism is more fun than the currently available GBA ROM Hacks or not is a subjective matter, but that wouldn't be the GBA Games fault at all, clearly.

Quote:
                    Complaint 1 - But DS pokemon hacks lack support and are MOST LIKELY harder to make.
                    Solution 1 - Nope, they don't actually lack support, if you simply search pokemon gen 4 hacking tools you will easily find tons (and I mean TONS) of pokemon gen 4 hacking tools like Project pokemon rom editor or some gen 4 and 5 pokemon editors like Jackhack96's tool factory and just search pokemon gen 5 hacking tools and you'd be bombared with lot's of black and white hacking content. Even then, if you can't find anything, the only way you can have more support if you and more people make the tools to support!
                    Tools are done AFTER the investigations they take advantage of.
                    That's what's lacking in the 4th Gen. ROM Hacking Scene, well documented posts on how things works.

Quote:
                    Complaint 2 - There aren't many DS emulators out there!
                    Solution 2 - Yes there is, there is no$gba which supports GBA and DS roms! And there are emulators that also only support DS like desmume if you wanna keep visualboyadvance for your GBA and GBC games.
                    Boy oh boy, where should I begin..
                    NO$GBA is a hacky, unstable, unaccurate and problematic emulator.
                    Martin Korth, its author, prioritized performance over accuracy and that summed with how he wrote it in assembly is the whole secret to his incredible performance.
                    Its audio quality.. gosh, it's absolutely awful.
                    Also, it does run GBA and DS Games, yes, but mostly with problems.

From the top of my head:
                    *Pokémon Emerald lacks the fog effect on Verdanturf Tunnel, you literally can't see where you're going.
                    Here's a comparison, VBA to the left and NO$GBA on the right:

*Pokémon HG/SS freezes randomly and there's no solid way to fix it. I'm sure that someday someone will find the way to disable that nuisance since it is most likely an anti-piracy measure implemented by Game Freak.
                    *For Pokémon B1/W1 you need an Action Replay to get across a blue screen stating some problem with the cartirdge or something and you basically can't save your progress. I tried the Action Replay that should supposedly fix that, but it didn't.
                    Also, I think that the blue screen problem also applies to B2/W2 too.

Desmume also has the same freezing issues with HG/SS and its performance leaves a lot to be desired.

Right now, there's 2 competent emulators being slowly developed (MelonDS and Medusa) and the word of Exophase, creator of DraStic, that he would most likely eventually port DraStic to Windows x86.
                    Things might change in the future, but right now? They're looking bad.

Quote:
                    Complaint 3 - But we have everything we need on GBA pokemon hacking, it's gone so far!
                    Solution 3 - With DS pokemon hacking you have everything you need and more! Even if there isn't a rombase to add every single pokemon there, we still have to move on to make more. Rare wasn't familiar with the N64 at first when it came to making games, and they turned to be one of the consoles best publishers after a bit of getting use to, it could take a little getting use to and then be easy to hack ds pokemon titles!
                    That was some weak marketing crap you just sputted over there.
                    "With DS pokemon hacking you have everything you need and more!"
                    ... Except nothing because there's barely any research done on them!
                    Pokémon Expansion? No.
                    Mega Evolution? No.
                    Item, Abilities or even Attacks Expansion? No, No and No again.
                    AT LEAST A SCRIPTING TUTORIAL..? Oh.. Nope, there's none.

Quote:
                    So, what I'm trying to say is that we need to move on and advance to Gen 4 and 5 hacking otherwise we might just end up with the same boring old hack, think of it! 3d Visuals! Greater graphics!! Better hardware. There's nothing stopping us to make a new different crowd and evolve our hacking world! Consider the change! Is good!
                    Again, if you're after the 3D, you would have it way easier just using the Pokémon Unity Engine linked above.
                    Greater graphics? The textures, OWs and sprites are in 2D, for pete's sake. Literally no different than the GBA Games.
                    Better hardware? What exactly are YOUR ideas on how to get advantage of it?
                    Nothing stopping us? You're wrong, the lack of information is stopping everything from moving.

Be my guest though, become the pioneer that this scene's so much needing.
                    Old August 6th, 2017 (12:06 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Kaiserness View Post
                      Just inspired me to start ROM Hacking. Always been interested in it, yet I never really thought about doing it myself. I guess I'll start now
                      Glad to have helped!

Old August 6th, 2017 (12:15 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Lunos View Post
                        How exactly?
                        Even if all the ASMagicians of this community started to make researches on any of the Pokémon NDS Games it would take a good while for people to come up with usable tools that make use of those investigations.

I didn't finished Prism yet, but 3D Graphics? On a GBC ROM? What I played of it hadn't anything like that.
                        Make use of 3D? In what incredible and astonishing way could you use the game's 3D Capabilities?
                        It's basically only used for maps and cutscenes, and I'm sure that manipulating them will be hard af.
                        You're definitely going to expend way more effort with them than with the 2D Maps of the Pokémon GBA Games for a similar result. If anything, it'll be way easier to start using right now the Pokémon Unity Engine.

And let's not forget how it took more than 10 years for the Pokémon GBA ROM Hacking Scene to reach the state it is in today. Hell, the Pokémon R/S Disassembly Project is finally reaching an usable state and once completed, it will probably open a lot of doors and make everything easier than ever before, even.

If Pokémon Prism is more fun than the currently available GBA ROM Hacks or not is a subjective matter, but that wouldn't be the GBA Games fault at all, clearly.

Tools are done AFTER the investigations they take advantage of.
                        That's what's lacking in the 4th Gen. ROM Hacking Scene, well documented posts on how things works.

Boy oh boy, where should I begin..
                        NO$GBA is a hacky, unstable, unaccurate and problematic emulator.
                        Martin Korth, its author, prioritized performance over accuracy and that summed with how he wrote it in assembly is the whole secret to his incredible performance.
                        Its audio quality.. gosh, it's absolutely awful.
                        Also, it does run GBA and DS Games, yes, but mostly with problems.

From the top of my head:
                        *Pokémon Emerald lacks the fog effect on Verdanturf Tunnel, you literally can't see where you're going.
                        Here's a comparison, VBA to the left and NO$GBA on the right:

*Pokémon HG/SS freezes randomly and there's no solid way to fix it. I'm sure that someday someone will find the way to disable that nuisance since it is most likely an anti-piracy measure implemented by Game Freak.
                        *For Pokémon B1/W1 you need an Action Replay to get across a blue screen stating some problem with the cartirdge or something and you basically can't save your progress. I tried the Action Replay that should supposedly fix that, but it didn't.
                        Also, I think that the blue screen problem also applies to B2/W2 too.

Desmume also has the same freezing issues with HG/SS and its performance leaves a lot to be desired.

Right now, there's 2 competent emulators being slowly developed (MelonDS and Medusa) and the word of Exophase, creator of DraStic, that he would most likely eventually port DraStic to Windows x86.
                        Things might change in the future, but right now? They're looking bad.

That was some weak marketing crap you just sputted over there.
                        "With DS pokemon hacking you have everything you need and more!"
                        ... Except nothing because there's barely any research done on them!
                        Pokémon Expansion? No.
                        Mega Evolution? No.
                        Item, Abilities or even Attacks Expansion? No, No and No again.
                        AT LEAST A SCRIPTING TUTORIAL..? Oh.. Nope, there's none.

Again, if you're after the 3D, you would have it way easier just using the Pokémon Unity Engine linked above.
                        Greater graphics? The textures, OWs and sprites are in 2D, for pete's sake. Literally no different than the GBA Games.
                        Better hardware? What exactly are YOUR ideas on how to get advantage of it?
                        Nothing stopping us? You're wrong, the lack of information is stopping everything from moving.

Be my guest though, become the pioneer that this scene's so much needing.
                        I did say earlier, that I wasn't really intending on doing it anymore, due to the difficulty of it.

btw, I was rofl when you mentioned the cheap marketing bit.

Old August 7th, 2017 (9:33 PM).

Right now..NDS is not suitable for hacking. ( Maybe it will be once I released my Black2 base). So, right now...Gen 3 is the golden generation for hacking.
                          Old August 9th, 2017 (12:39 AM).

As a GBA rom hack player, I would hate for the hacking community to move on to Gen 4 and subsequently abandon Gen 3. It might be incredibly biased but my main reason for sticking with Gen 3 is because it can be played pretty much like a native app on mobile.

I tried DS emulators for a bit but came back to GBA because of having to use two screens. I don't really like playing on portrait mode because the screen's too small, even if it shows two screens at once. Playing on landscape on the other hand makes the second screen so tiny it loses all purpose of being there.

And lastly, as others have said, I don't think we're missing out on a lot sticking to Gen 3. It seems like everything from later gens can be ported back to gen 3 with enough patience and tenacity.

Having said all that, I do understand your wanting to move on to hacking later gens. It might feel like we're "stuck" on gen 3 sometimes. And moving on to later gens can also mean less work for devs in the long run, like removing the need to add physical/special split for every single rom since it's already there, among other things.
                            Old August 10th, 2017 (7:05 AM).

The main appeal of gen 4 is the updated graphics, but with that comes an inconvenient bottom screen and a lot of work.

The tools are put there, but figuring out how to use those and how to add stuff (mega evolutions, gen 6/7 Pokémon, gen 6/7 moves, abilities, and items, new tile sets, b2/w2 repel system, new 3D cities like Castilia city, new sprites, infinite tms, new types, etc.) would be possible, but would take time to figure out and implement any of those features. However, you can do all of that stuff and more on a gen 3 hack.

Quick Reply