• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scrapbox phase-out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2010
Um, me and Christos aren't going to delete threads that don't look they're going somewhere. You know why? Because they don't break any rules. That's why!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
well, i guess this is goodbye my dear friend. everyday i always looked forward to come and see what was in here, thee are some really great ideas, and its sad to see them go.
but its your choices not mine.
so i decided that your decision was right, bye scrapbox, we'll miss u.

a month left..

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Eh, I don't mind so much; the scrapbox was turning into a scrapheap rather than an idea board. =\

Only problem is, all you need is four crappy screenshots and you can infiltrate into the Progressing Hacks zone. Four screens anyone can manage in a matter of minutes. D=

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Eh, I don't mind so much; the scrapbox was turning into a scrapheap rather than an idea board. =\

Only problem is, all you need is four crappy screenshots and you can infiltrate into the Progressing Hacks zone. Four screens anyone can manage in a matter of minutes. D=

Exactly!
Hence the forth coming of the progressing hacks downfall until we only have rooms for hack which will fall in the realm of the showcase. OK that was a bit extreme but really quality should be another aspect in which threads can make it up to the prog. hacks and showcase. Anyways I just am glad we are finally scrapping the scrapbox!

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021

You do realise this is preventable, correct?

WHAT YOU TELL ME NOW!!!! lol i had my mind made up :P

kk, reasons I want to prevent this from happening:

PC. has always been a inviting site even for newcomers to share their ideas and let them be rated by other more experienced or beginning trainers. This also allows them to organise a team and ect.

If we do not have a scrapbox then most hacks in which the hacker( who cannot script) cannot go anywhere. IE: a spriter and a mapper would be able to change alot...but in the end they would not be able to produce the 5 screenshots of ingame play(which i think you should have some text scripts in there)

If you keep the scrapbox it will save you the time which would otherwise be used on deleting it, recieving MULTIPLE apllications for random hacks trying to get in the prog hacks section, Organising and moving the helpthreads,

If you let the scrapbox go, some really good hacks ie. ash's quest will be deleted along side it :(

Hacks that are rushing to meet the deadline will most probably seem very rushed when you play em

Cause I'm asking you polietly : Please don't delete the scrapbox :)

And i like the scrapbox :)

If you want more PM me and i'll give u :)

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
I agree with 558122_DG, there are a lot of good hacks in there and they will all end up being very rushed and no good, so please, don't shut down the scrapbox.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
I agree with 558122_DG, there are a lot of good hacks in there and they will all end up being very rushed and no good, so please, don't shut down the scrapbox.

Name some "pretty good" hacks...
I can deal with ideas from well known hackers whom you can trust more being released from. like Darthratron's thread. But really do you need to post your hack until you have the basics for the progressing hacks? What I can say is take your time and count on quality. This place has diminished that a bit.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
How about if it was required that the creator of a thread hust have 20 or so comments?

But as ninja caterpie said it's only gonna take at most an hour to provide 5 screens of ingame play... but then wouldn't there be random hacks that are no good crowding the Prog hacks zone? the home of alot of great hacks? Also wouldn't that mean that moderators would have to scan through all that extra stuff??? and possibly all the more spam/off topic/ randomness?

Omega Zero

Is back...
Years
How about if it was required that the creator of a thread hust have 20 or so comments?

But as ninja caterpie said it's only gonna take at most an hour to provide 5 screens of ingame play... but then wouldn't there be random hacks that are no good crowding the Prog hacks zone? the home of alot of great hacks? Also wouldn't that mean that moderators would have to scan through all that extra stuff??? and possibly all the more spam/off topic/ randomness?
I don't really mind the scrapbox closing down either but one thing is sure it'll be hard to find good hacks in progressing hacks again then eventually that place will be shut and they hacks showcase everybody will just get 10 screenshots and like an alpha with a crappy hack and then eventually we probally might have to restart all the other boards but that'll be a long time ahead of us

Esmas

General
Years
Guy above me is sorta taking things too far, eh?

Well, a member must have 15 posts to even post an image (or an external link, but basically the same thing :3), so needing only 20 posts just to create a thread is sort of pointless.

But I do think that there must be quality involved in the confirmation of the hack. I mean, there are some hacks out there, that were accepted into the Progressing Hacks or the Showcase, and you know that the author would eventually have to change the graphics, or edit the maps or the sprites. If moderation was stricter, the author of a hack would have to think twice before leaving something undone.

That's just my two cents. :3

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
WHAT YOU TELL ME NOW!!!! lol i had my mind made up :P

kk, reasons I want to prevent this from happening:

PC. has always been a inviting site even for newcomers to share their ideas and let them be rated by other more experienced or beginning trainers. This also allows them to organise a team and ect.

If we do not have a scrapbox then most hacks in which the hacker( who cannot script) cannot go anywhere. IE: a spriter and a mapper would be able to change alot...but in the end they would not be able to produce the 5 screenshots of ingame play(which i think you should have some text scripts in there)

If you keep the scrapbox it will save you the time which would otherwise be used on deleting it, recieving MULTIPLE apllications for random hacks trying to get in the prog hacks section, Organising and moving the helpthreads,

If you let the scrapbox go, some really good hacks ie. ash's quest will be deleted along side it :(

Hacks that are rushing to meet the deadline will most probably seem very rushed when you play em

Cause I'm asking you polietly : Please don't delete the scrapbox :)

And i like the scrapbox :)

If you want more PM me and i'll give u :)

I know what you're trying too say. But, the mods said that the owner of hacks that knows that their thread is ready for Progressing, can PM the mods for them to be able to move their threads to their respective forum. And why do you even bother begging to don't let the scrapbox go? Mostly all of the members agree with this, and as far as I know majority wins. Why even bother? I don't want the scrapbox to go too, but the staff made their mind. You can't stop them, they're the staff.

558122_DG

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021

I know what you're trying too say. But, the mods said that the owner of hacks that knows that their thread is ready for Progressing, can PM the mods for them to be able to move their threads to their respective forum. And why do you even bother begging to don't let the scrapbox go? Mostly all of the members agree with this, and as far as I know majority wins. Why even bother? I don't want the scrapbox to go too, but the staff made their mind. You can't stop them, they're the staff.

thats what you would think....BUT AnthonyLA said that it is prevokable :)
which is y i'm begging lol :)

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
558122_DG has some very good points, so do others,

if you get rid of the scrapbox some one can make 4 crappy in-game screens and get into prog. hacks. that'll be the next junk yard.

please don't shut this place down, maybe add another sub-forum for ideas, that dont show much progress?
there's some really great hacks out there, maybe take our idea's into consideration and don't take this place out of our lifes

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
@countryemo : Maybe then staff will shut down progressing hacks xD xD

@558122_DG : You have some good points about new hackers, but as for enough good threads... I would advise to form group of like... 3-5 hackers who would choose hacks which could be moved to Progressing Hacks (or Hacks Showcase for Ash's Quest since it's complete), not just because they have 4 screenshots but because they are useful and can have future.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
To the people predicting that Progressing hacks will be the next junkyard: remember that the mods have to approve the threads there before being displayed. That system alone will kill 99% of the spam. 4 crappy in-games screenshots alone won't be enough to get your hack approved if you don't show a proper storyline, a feature list, and just some work (which only a select few of the threads here showed).

Cello

Tonight!
Years
To be honest it sounds like you're getting yourself into more of a hassle than you're already in.
If you can't tolerate cleaning up the scrapbox then you clearly wont be able to handle the overload of thread submissions towards Progressing Hacks, in which you know is only going to jump ten fold when you really do close the scrapbox.

Not only will threads needing approval jump up but it should be obvious your "spam threads" will only be forwarded to another section that doesn't need a thread to be approved before posting, likely the ROM Hacking section itself.
I can guarantee you'll start seeing "Check out my hack" threads in ROM Hacking.

There is no filtering out the spam because it will always be there. Closing the scrapbox is just a clear excuse to think that you'll have less work to do.

Pity to the new hackers, because they really need a section to start and that's basically what the scrapbox is here for.
I guess there will at least be a hard lesson to learn in it for you guys.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I remember two years ago, when there was no Scrapbox at all, there was much less spam around the rom-hacking boards and the amount of spam threads in the Hacks Showcase (there was no Progressing Hacks either) was also manageable by the mods.

And the only board where you can post threads without moderation approval is (was) the Scrapbox. Threads in Rom-Hacking or Emulation are moderated as well. Contrary to what you said, this will be a way to filter the spam. Filtering unapproved threads is easier than flitering open threads just floating around a board, because unapproved threads are listed on the ModCP so the mods can check them all at once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back