Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black 2 & White 2.

Old 1 Week Ago (5:28 PM).
until
the
end ★
  • Platinum Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily

Nature: Quiet
It's not really surprising to me that so many people had issues with Gen V. BW was pretty underwhelming, but I'd hesitate to really call the generation the "worst". While BW didn't really deliver as far as a post-game is concerned, there were other things to like about it, too! The story and the characters are some of the most arguably interesting at that time. BW was the turning point when there was an actual fleshed out story and NPCs were less blank slates like past games and became more filled with personality. This was carried over to B2W2 and even emphasized upon and B2W2 even had one of the best post-game features you can ask for: Pokemon World Tournament. The opportunity to battle against some of your favourite past generation NPCs is something that's on part if not better than the inclusion of Battle Frontier itself.

So while there's plenty to dislike about Gen V, there's also plenty to like about it. Personally, it was an okay generation for me.

Hard wind blows as the night is born
And the dark feels so safe
My body yearns for that need to start
Cause it's too hard to wait
We're going out tonight with something to prove
Take to the streets and let our demons loose
Put your hands up

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (6:08 PM).
barely iconic
  • Social Media
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Gen 5 is definitely not my favorite region and I didn't really enjoy the gen at all :/

But, with that being said, it's definitely not the worst generation. At least in my books.

It's all a matter of opinion for these types of questions because everyone has different likes and wants in a Pokémon game, again, it's all up to the individual player to decide for themselves.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:20 PM).
Audino master

In the world, where GEN IV and VII exist, we can't argue about bad GEN, because we already have winners.

But on more serious note: I noticed that hate on GEN V is slowly decreasing and more and more people love the games. I remember back when they were released, everyone hated on them. Now, every time some hater appears, literally army of people shut him up.
    Old 1 Week Ago (11:39 PM).
    Youngster

Nature: Quirky
      I hated Gen 5 more than any others. I found the story, while more interesting than some others, to be painfully linear, particularly in black and white. The linear storytelling took a lot away from the games for me, much like in final fantasy xiii. It was the most excruciating formula I've experienced in a pokemon game where practically every city was the same pattern with meeting the gym leader, fending off team plasma, and then beating the gym. I also wasn't a fan of the experience adjustment as it involved a lot more grinding, especially because there were people blocking off the next area where stronger pokemon awaited because they were "dancing for no particular reason"

Also, while there are some pokemon introduced in Unova that I love, there are so many that seemed like cheap imitations of gen 1 pokemon, and that goes far beyond the stereotypical starter types, fodder bird and rodent, and early bugs. I wanted to see more individuality and creativity in creating new pokemon, rather than altered replications of existing pokemon that quickly became forgotten. And for the record, I have no problem with the ice cream cones.

And then there was the anime...

All that being said, Gen 5 did introduce several gameplay mechanics that are greatly appreciated, such as reusable TMs and some intriguing pokemon abilities like zoroark's illusion and darmanitan's zen mode. All in all, however, gen 5 is easily my least liked generation in the entire series.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=389069

And leave me a trade review here!

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9573939#post9573939
      Old 1 Week Ago (12:31 AM).
      Sacred Hearts Club
      • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Janp View Post
      In the world, where GEN IV and VII exist, we can't argue about bad GEN, because we already have winners.

But on more serious note: I noticed that hate on GEN V is slowly decreasing and more and more people love the games. I remember back when they were released, everyone hated on them. Now, every time some hater appears, literally army of people shut him up.
      That's what I've noticed too. I remember all the hate towards the generation when it first came out in 2010, and now seven years later people seem to be learning to appreciate it, because it was a very influential generation and it bought so much to the table. I now often see people talking about the positive side of 5th Gen which makes me feel happy.
      Old 1 Week Ago (12:29 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
        I like Unova a lot. Just started a new game last night on White version. Unova was unique in having such a large # of pokemon native to it and not needing old mons to compensate for it. It's the only gen since Gen 1 that can make that claim. To me Sinnoh was the most boring region. I never got the wow factor from the game at any point. It felt plain to me somehow. Idk what it was. But to me gen 5 had the best sprites, cool trainers, a darker tone, and cool designs. I feel the music was rather bad but aside from that it was great.

SoulSilver Team Thus Far
        Old 1 Week Ago (1:52 PM).

There doesnt exist a bad generation. Pokemon is perfect <3
          Old 1 Week Ago (2:51 PM).
          Eloquent Speaker

Pokemon Black is hands down my second favorite game in the entire series (SoulSilver is first). The emphasis on a compelling story about making Pokemon fight for us, which has plagued the series with criticisms from the beginning, was finally addressed. The villains were great and working with the gym leaders was really satisfying. I started playing competitively for the first time since beginning all the way at Blue.

Overall, the games felt epic and expansive. They challenged what a Pokemon game could be about. I love the majority of the designs even if some aren't as iconic. It's just a really complete package through and through. B2W2 were a little more iffy for me, but that's mostly because they felt slightly rushed.

My opinions are bolstered by going to see the Pokemon Symphony, and when they played one of N's songs, I flat out bawled.

Check out my Trade Shop here!
            Quick Reply

Sponsored Links