Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Another tale is about to begin — come chat and speculate about the just-announced pair of games retelling the story of the Alola region, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon!

Old June 19th, 2017 (1:36 AM).

Its a POKEMON game afterall, so I would have to play it

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 19th, 2017 (9:22 AM).
    Remember NovEnder

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
      People who hate USUM are wrong and that is fact.
      They're not wrong to be hesitant to buy US/UM, and I don't think that they "hate" the games over a thirty-second trailer. They came to their decision based on how they felt about S/M (and maybe other older Pokemon games like the other 3DS ones) and figured that they're not going to spend their money on a game that they might not find enjoyable.

Granted, I'm not that excited about US/UM. I've only played Sun once and didn't enjoy it as much as I did with other Pokemon games. (And I was really hoping for Sinnoh remakes/Crystal on the eShop). I'm still going to buy Ultra Sun, at least since I play at least one main series Pokemon game per set.

But I'm wondering if I'm going to wait a bit before getting Ultra Sun, and not get it on release date like I have with nearly every other previous release. For one thing, I have a long list of other games I still want to play through. For another thing...I just wasn't that much of a fan of S/M, so I'm probably not going to be excited about US/UM.

Old June 19th, 2017 (3:16 PM).
      Dragon user

Nature: Lonely
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
        They're not wrong to be hesitant to buy US/UM, and I don't think that they "hate" the games over a thirty-second trailer. They came to their decision based on how they felt about S/M (and maybe other older Pokemon games like the other 3DS ones) and figured that they're not going to spend their money on a game that they might not find enjoyable.

Granted, I'm not that excited about US/UM. I've only played Sun once and didn't enjoy it as much as I did with other Pokemon games. (And I was really hoping for Sinnoh remakes/Crystal on the eShop). I'm still going to buy Ultra Sun, at least since I play at least one main series Pokemon game per set.

But I'm wondering if I'm going to wait a bit before getting Ultra Sun, and not get it on release date like I have with nearly every other previous release. For one thing, I have a long list of other games I still want to play through. For another thing...I just wasn't that much of a fan of S/M, so I'm probably not going to be excited about US/UM.
        The last pair of games of a gen are considerably better. B2W2 and ORAS are examples of this. USUM would likely be the best of gen 7.
        Old June 23rd, 2017 (7:49 PM).
        Of pixie dust and falling snow

Nature: Adamant
          I actually liked what I saw in the trailer, to be honest. I also think the "fusions" look pretty interesting, although I hope they take it in a different direction then they did in BW2. It's too early too tell how good the games will be though, but unless they're total trash, I plan on getting UM. It's a Pokemon game, after all!
          Old June 26th, 2017 (4:15 PM).

Nature: Quiet
            I, for sure, will not buy Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.
            *Major Rantage*
            The reason being Pokemon Sun and Moon have been a huge disappointment to me. I've liked every game until Sun and Moon. It's just too strange now, if that makes any sense. The new Pokemon look like Digimon or something, it's strange. Until a Diamond/Pearl remake rolls around and the next set of main games roll around, I won't be touching any games as of now. I mean come on, Vulpix is literally made of fire, and they made it a ICE TYPE?! The PokeDex entry for Sapphire even says "Inside VULPIX’s body burns a flame that never goes out. During the daytime, when the temperatures rise, this POKéMON releases flames from its mouth to prevent its body from growing too hot." IT'S LIKE THE WRITERS DIDN'T EVEN TRY. I'm not even going to mention what they did to poor little Exeggutor. Once GF gets their gears back in check, I'll come back to the newer games.
            Old June 27th, 2017 (12:40 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by G4briel121 View Post
              I, for sure, will not buy Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.
              *Major Rantage*
              The reason being Pokemon Sun and Moon have been a huge disappointment to me. I've liked every game until Sun and Moon. It's just too strange now, if that makes any sense. The new Pokemon look like Digimon or something, it's strange. Until a Diamond/Pearl remake rolls around and the next set of main games roll around, I won't be touching any games as of now. and they made it a ICE TYPE?! The PokeDex entry for Sapphire even says "Inside VULPIX’s body burns a flame that never goes out. During the daytime, when the temperatures rise, this POKéMON releases flames from its mouth to prevent its body from growing too hot." IT'S LIKE THE WRITERS DIDN'T EVEN TRY. I'm not even going to mention what they did to poor little Exeggutor. Once GF gets their gears back in check, I'll come back to the newer games.
              The frag?
              Quote:
              I mean come on, Vulpix is literally made of fire,
              did you mistook Vulpix with Magmar? Vulpix is based on a fox... more specially yokai kitsune ( or nine-tailed fox) in which part of vulpix "on fire?"
              you are being a little petty here. You don't want GF being creative?
              search youtube on Alolan forms and you will see why all of them ( even Exeggutor) makes perfect sense
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0i-yUSct2k&ab_channel=GaijinGoombahMedia
              are you a genwunner or something?

Strength of ICE!
              Old June 27th, 2017 (2:06 AM).
              Dragon user

Quote:
                Originally Posted by LilyGardy View Post
                I might buy these games on launch day but it depends on a few things:

If it's basically the same game as before with no new Pokemon or Alolan forms and the only new thing being the Legendaries new forms and a nothing post game then I am likely going to wait a while before getting them.

If there is a reasonably fresh story with fun new Pokemon or Alolan forms, a new Pokedex and a solid post-game (I'm not talking B2W2 level here just something above a Battle Tower) then I will likely pick it up.
                By new pokemon you mean older gen pokemon that SM has not got? I am down with that. However GF will never introduce new pokemon in the middle of the gen that is not older gen or current gen pokemon. It be wasting good pokemon that should be introduce in gen 8.
                Old June 27th, 2017 (7:05 AM).
                Swampert Fan

Nature: Quirky
                  Unless this game finds a way to be absolutely terrible, then yes, I'll buy it. I really liked Sun and Moon aside from a few gripes I have with it (namely the underdeveloped areas), so as long as USUM improve the games they should be good.

I probably won't be able to buy it on launch, tho, since its release is pretty close with Super Mario Odyssey.
                  Old June 27th, 2017 (7:40 AM).
                  see meee?
                  • Platinum Tier
                  • EOEvent Organizer

Quote:
                  By new pokemon you mean older gen pokemon that SM has not got? I am down with that. However GF will never introduce new pokemon in the middle of the gen that is not older gen or current gen pokemon. It be wasting good pokemon that should be introduce in gen 8.
                  This is very much going to be the case, since new Pokemon are meant to be introduced in a new generation. And no, the whole "alternate universe" thing is not an excuse to introduce new Pokemon within games of the same generation because it'll cause compatibility issues.
                  Old June 27th, 2017 (7:42 AM).
                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
                  This is very much going to be the case, since new Pokemon are meant to be introduced in a new generation. And no, the whole "alternate universe" thing is not an excuse to introduce new Pokemon within games of the same generation because it'll cause compatibility issues.
                  Hmm...it is and it isn't. I mean, we already HAVE new Pokemon in the sense that those mascot Legendaries will almost certainly not be transferrable as they are to S/M. I know people technically don't count formes, but they're not that far removed entirely new Pokemon really...it does seem unlikely. But it wouldn't be a huge shock if they took that leap.
                  Old June 27th, 2017 (7:44 AM).
                  see meee?
                  • Platinum Tier
                  • EOEvent Organizer

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
                  Hmm...it is and it isn't. I mean, we already HAVE new Pokemon in the sense that those mascot Legendaries will almost certainly not be transferrable as they are to S/M. I know people technically don't count formes, but they're not that far removed entirely new Pokemon really...it does seem unlikely. But it wouldn't be a huge shock if they took that leap.
                  I know how much Game Freak loves throwing us off these past few generations. I just feel new Pokemon being introduced would be unlikely at this point.
                  Old June 27th, 2017 (7:51 AM).
                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
                  I know how much Game Freak loves throwing us off these past few generations. I just feel new Pokemon being introduced would be unlikely at this point.
                  Perhaps...but then, if they're going to expand upon Ultra Space, a new Ultra Beast wouldn't be out of the question. A new Island Guardian would be a must if they gave us a new island...that's unlikely, but even so. With the gens getting shorter and shorter, that old "half a generation" argument that surfaced in Gen VI could resurface in Gen VII too.

Don't forget, we don't know what they have planned for the Switch. It wouldn't surprise me if they went back to the beginning and remade Kanto...or even gave us a multi-region core title. Or something else. It won't necessarily be Gen VIII. So saying that any new designs could be saved for Gen VIII could be a pretty big assumption. Especially with the way they like to change things up as much as possible. So who knows.
                  Old June 27th, 2017 (12:18 PM).
                  Dragon user

Quote:
                    Perhaps...but then, if they're going to expand upon Ultra Space, a new Ultra Beast wouldn't be out of the question. A new Island Guardian would be a must if they gave us a new island...that's unlikely, but even so. With the gens getting shorter and shorter, that old "half a generation" argument that surfaced in Gen VI could resurface in Gen VII too.

Don't forget, we don't know what they have planned for the Switch. It wouldn't surprise me if they went back to the beginning and remade Kanto...or even gave us a multi-region core title. Or something else. It won't necessarily be Gen VIII. So saying that any new designs could be saved for Gen VIII could be a pretty big assumption. Especially with the way they like to change things up as much as possible. So who knows.
                    Gen 8 is most likely be the switch games. Kanto is done for good. Multi-regions are unlikely to happen again. They won't introduce new ultra beast and new pokemon because they are best saved for gen 8 which is directly after USUM.
                    Old June 27th, 2017 (1:02 PM).
                    • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                    Gen 8 is most likely be the switch games. Kanto is done for good. Multi-regions are unlikely to happen again. They won't introduce new ultra beast and new pokemon because they are best saved for gen 8 which is directly after USUM.
                    All speculation is equal at this point.
                    Old June 27th, 2017 (4:48 PM).
                    Dragon user

Quote:
                      All speculation is equal at this point.
                      No actually it is not. New pokemon are only made at the beginning of a new gen. Kanto returning is unrealistic as it is done enough times. Multi region is only for Johto games.
                      Old June 27th, 2017 (9:06 PM).
                      • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                      No actually it is not. New pokemon are only made at the beginning of a new gen. Kanto returning is unrealistic as it is done enough times. Multi region is only for Johto games.
                      You're assuming, of course, that GF will do exactly what everyone expects them to...and when have they ever done that? Where is Pokemon Z? Where is Pokemon Stars? How do you explain B2W2? Why are these not clearly stated as direct sequels in the same manner as B2W2? You can't use past trends as an argument when GF is so intent upon breaking them. Again, all speculation is equal. It is all speculation. In reality, none of us knows with any degree of certainty what will be in these games - or future games - beyond what we are shown. Just because we're not seeing it right now does not make it impossible.
                      Old June 27th, 2017 (11:25 PM).
                      Dragon user

Quote:
                        You're assuming, of course, that GF will do exactly what everyone expects them to...and when have they ever done that? Where is Pokemon Z? Where is Pokemon Stars? How do you explain B2W2? Why are these not clearly stated as direct sequels in the same manner as B2W2? You can't use past trends as an argument when GF is so intent upon breaking them. Again, all speculation is equal. It is all speculation. In reality, none of us knows with any degree of certainty what will be in these games - or future games - beyond what we are shown. Just because we're not seeing it right now does not make it impossible.
                        I don't think so. Pretty sure GF knows that single region games will help give them more money. They also would how tired fans are of Kanto. New pokemon in mid gen would be bad cause the start of next gen would overshadow those pokemon. Best keep new pokemon for a whole new gen. Even GF is smart enough to know that. So no, not all speculation is equal because some of them are not realistic.
                        Old June 28th, 2017 (8:50 AM). Edited June 28th, 2017 by Nah.

While Game Freak has done a few (highly) unexpected things the past couple/few generations, they're not as wildly unpredictable as people like to give them credit for these days. A few outliers don't necessarily invalidate long term trends.

On the other hand, it's best to not pretend our or anyone's speculation is absolute fact until definitively proven. We know very little about these games right now. Past data can help, but is still not enough to be 100% certain about much.

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&DTourney6th Gen
                        Old June 28th, 2017 (9:08 AM).
                        First-time ROM hacker

Nature: Timid
                          I loved the original Sun and Moon, as did many others, so I'll definitely be getting Ultra Sun at the least. Perhaps Ultra Moon later on, like I did with Sun and Moon.

In-progress hacks:
                          *Pokémon new generations
                          *Pokémon Snakewood rebirth
                          Old June 30th, 2017 (1:38 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by pryce10 View Post
                            The frag?

did you mistook Vulpix with Magmar? Vulpix is based on a fox... more specially yokai kitsune ( or nine-tailed fox) in which part of vulpix "on fire?"
                            you are being a little petty here. You don't want GF being creative?
                            search youtube on Alolan forms and you will see why all of them ( even Exeggutor) makes perfect sense
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0i-yUSct2k&ab_channel=GaijinGoombahMedia
                            are you a genwunner or something?
                            I quoted the PokeDex, seriously, read my statement if you're going to try and gaslight me for it.
                            Sure, I love GF's creativity, I never said I didn't, and I shouldn't have to look up a YouTube video for things to make sense.
                            I like some of the new Pokemon, but the others just look strange.

"are you a genwunner or something?"

What's wrong with you? I literally just stated "Until a Diamond/Pearl remake rolls around and the next set of main games roll around, I won't be touching any games as of now."

I just simply don't like Sun or Moon. It's too strange for me. Does that make me a genwunner simply because I don't like ONE generation?
                            Old July 1st, 2017 (3:42 AM).

Quote:
                              I quoted the PokeDex, seriously, read my statement if you're going to try and gaslight me for it.
                              Sure, I love GF's creativity, I never said I didn't, and I shouldn't have to look up a YouTube video for things to make sense.
                              I like some of the new Pokemon, but the others just look strange.

"are you a genwunner or something?"

What's wrong with you? I literally just stated "Until a Diamond/Pearl remake rolls around and the next set of main games roll around, I won't be touching any games as of now."

I just simply don't like Sun or Moon. It's too strange for me. Does that make me a genwunner simply because I don't like ONE generation?
                              your reasoning is stupid. If you take time and THINK about it all pokemon makes sense.
                              Why are you upset with Alolan vulpix/ninetales?
                              never heard of Artic fox?
                              and I find your reasoning that some gen 7 pokemon look like digimon. HOW? megas were ok but gen 7 pokemon were too much?

Strength of ICE!
                              Old July 1st, 2017 (4:04 AM).

I loved playing Sun Moon, but if US and UM just simply is an alternate story I'm not sureif I'd play it, I prefer a sequel:)
                                Old July 1st, 2017 (5:43 PM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by pryce10 View Post
                                  your reasoning is stupid. If you take time and THINK about it all pokemon makes sense.
                                  Why are you upset with Alolan vulpix/ninetales?
                                  never heard of Artic fox?
                                  and I find your reasoning that some gen 7 pokemon look like digimon. HOW? megas were ok but gen 7 pokemon were too much?
                                  Can you stop throwing random accusations around? I never said Megas were okay. As for Gen 7 pokemon, their style was just odd, it felt different from any other pokemon game, along with all the "trials" and "sos battles."
                                  I was just making an example of Alolan forms, it also seems like you also disregard what I said once again. Arctic Fox, that makes sense, but Alola is literally Hawaii. Tell me where the hell you would find a Arctic Fox in Hawaii? Vulpix has a fire burning in it's own body. Fire literally MELTS ice. Tell me how that makes sense.
                                  Old July 1st, 2017 (6:51 PM).
                                  C R O S S P O I S O N
                                  • Crystal Tier
                                  • EOEvent Organizer

Nature: Adamant
                                  It's Pokemon. No matter what it is, I'm probably buying it.
                                  Old July 2nd, 2017 (4:39 AM). Edited July 2nd, 2017 by pryce10.

Quote:
                                    s.
                                    I was just making an example of Alolan forms, it also seems like you also disregard what I said once again. Arctic Fox, that makes sense, but Alola is literally Hawaii. Tell me where the hell you would find a Arctic Fox in Hawaii?
                                    *facepalm*
                                    Pokemon world=/= real world
                                    tell me where in Japan can you find Kobra and Seal? ( and no Zoos do NOT count)
                                    where in Japan can you find Elephant and Giraffe?
                                    what about walrus and camel?
                                    what about Venus flying trap and beaver
                                    What about Zebra and meerkat in New York?
                                    What about panda and weedy seadragon in France?
                                    Quote:
                                    Vulpix has a fire burning in it's own body. Fire literally MELTS ice. Tell me how that makes sense.
                                    So? do you know nothing about adaptation evolution do you? In real life there are case such as fish living on land and breathing through lungs. Why is it so difficult to think that vulpix adopting to cold climate?

Strength of ICE!
                                    Quick Reply

Sponsored Links