The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Seventh Generation
To buy or not to buy?

Seventh Generation Alola, trainers! Come discuss the latest generation in the Pokémon series with us! This includes Sun & Moon as well as Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon.

Old June 11th, 2017 (11:54 AM).

Sun and Moon was hugh let down because the plaza.
    for now i won't buy the game because i don't care about the story.
    if the online will be good as pokemon x and y so yes i will get it, but if they are gonna stick to the plaza it will be waste of my money..

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 11th, 2017 (12:38 PM).

Nature: Lonely
      The "3rd versions" have always been the best of the franchise so I'm obviously going to be buying them! Even if the games happen to not change much I'd still get them just to go through Alola one more time, I really enjoyed SM's main run so I'm totally up for giving the region a second run.
      Move tutors are also probably going to be a thing and I can't wait to see what new moves the alolamons get.
      Old June 11th, 2017 (1:15 PM).

I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which I wouldn't buy them. I used to debate which Pokemon games to get, or whether to get one version over another, but over the years, I realized that I'm simply better off buying all of the main games that come out, even if I don't have time to play them right away. Time is more of an issue for me these days than money, and it simply isn't worth it anymore for me to agonize over whether to get a Pokemon game or not. (Other series I'll do that with, but I've been happy with every Pokemon game I've purchased, so until a game breaks that trend, I'll probably buy every main game that comes out as close to day 1 as possible.)

I suppose I could pass on the new games if they ended up being New 3DS only (and didn't really run on the original 3DS). However, I would probably end up just buying a new system to play them on instead. Even if they're nearly identical to S/M, I'll probably buy them. I've been considering getting a spare copy each of Sun and Moon, for various reasons, so if the new games turned out to be identical, I would just pick them up instead, and skip the extra copies of S/M.
      Old June 11th, 2017 (7:36 PM).
      HI VIZ

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pokken Lucario View Post
      Sun and Moon was hugh let down because the plaza.
      for now i won't buy the game because i don't care about the story.
      if the online will be good as pokemon x and y so yes i will get it, but if they are gonna stick to the plaza it will be waste of my money..
      I know Festival Plaza is the most-complained feature about S/M, but personally I wouldn't let it be so much of a detractor that you don't want to play the games anymore. US/UM will likely add so much more in terms of better features as most third versions and remakes do, so look forward to the positives that could be coming.
      Old June 11th, 2017 (7:40 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
        I know Festival Plaza is the most-complained feature about S/M, but personally I wouldn't let it be so much of a detractor that you don't want to play the games anymore. US/UM will likely add so much more in terms of better features as most third versions and remakes do, so look forward to the positives that could be coming.
        but what i like about pokemon is the online battles, in the plaza the only thing i can find is 3vs3 in battle spot which are not fun at all.
        for me if they keep the plaza i will skip the games.
        Old June 11th, 2017 (7:42 PM).
        HI VIZ

Quote:
        but what i like about pokemon is the online battles, in the plaza the only thing i can find is 3vs3 in battle spot which are not fun at all.
        for me if they keep the plaza i will skip the games.
        I'd personally look at all the other good features since I take all the features into account when it comes to pros and cons in a Pokemon game. You don't always have to do online stuff to enjoy Pokemon.
        Old June 11th, 2017 (9:05 PM).

Quote:
          I'd personally look at all the other good features since I take all the features into account when it comes to pros and cons in a Pokemon game. You don't always have to do online stuff to enjoy Pokemon.
          yeah, but what i do after i end the story mode? i just like throw 40$ away for 25 of hours gameplay?
          when i buy games i want the games to keep me busy like pokemon x and y did with the great pss.
          the new stuff is cool, but what i care about in the end of the day is the online stuff.
          this is why i like xy and oras so much because i could find easy 6vs6 battles but sun and moon ruined it for me.
          i will take evreything over the stupid plaza.
          Old June 11th, 2017 (9:33 PM).
          Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

Nature: Quiet
          Quote:
          yeah, but what i do after i end the story mode? i just like throw 40$ away for 25 of hours gameplay?
          This day and age you're lucky to get 10 hours of gameplay out of a $60+ game, so 25 hours is pretty good going. Especially considering how utterly underwhelming and minimalistic Pokemon is as a series in comparison to pretty much every other RPG you could think of.

Although I don't disagree with your points.
          Old June 11th, 2017 (9:42 PM).
          HI VIZ

Quote:
          when i buy games i want the games to keep me busy like pokemon x and y did with the great pss.
          the new stuff is cool, but what i care about in the end of the day is the online stuff.
          this is why i like xy and oras so much because i could find easy 6vs6 battles but sun and moon ruined it for me.
          i will take evreything over the stupid plaza.
          S/M only had bad postgame content because that's the typical pattern for the first games of a new generation. US/UM are going to likely extend the postgame content so I'm sure you'll find something off interest.
          Old June 12th, 2017 (2:59 AM).
          4 million years

Nature: Hasty
            I'm not picky, I'll buy anything that's not absolute garbage lol
            Old June 12th, 2017 (5:20 AM).

Quote:
              S/M only had bad postgame content because that's the typical pattern for the first games of a new generation. US/UM are going to likely extend the postgame content so I'm sure you'll find something off interest.
              This is why i don't spend my money on only story mode games without good online.
              maybe only botw becuase it's like 70 hours game.
              Old June 16th, 2017 (1:46 AM).
              Banned

I buy them. People shouldn't judge them so quickly until we know more. I got all of gen 4, 5 and 6 games. Gen 7 will be no exception.
                Old June 16th, 2017 (2:44 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
                I buy them. People shouldn't judge them so quickly until we know more. I got all of gen 4, 5 and 6 games. Gen 7 will be no exception.
                Isn't saying that you're going to buy them judging them prematurely, though? You've already decided you're going to buy them with barely any information available. It's just as hasty to say they're worth your time at this stage as it is to say they're not.

But honestly, I don't think judging the games prematurely is an issue here. It's a Pokemon game, and we all know on some level what we're getting, and what we can expect from that. In a franchise like this, where things really do not change in any ground-shaking way between instalments in gameplay terms, it's the little things that can make or break the purchase. The little things are what people look for in core Pokemon titles, and those little things can delay or outright put off purchases...or secure a day-one buy.

Like, for me, as a random example...if I see Lillie hand-holding through the region again, I won't buy these myself. I will probably ask for one for Christmas, but I wouldn't buy them. If I saw something crazy like revisiting Sinnoh after travelling through Alola, I'd buy these day one and I'd be bouncing off the walls between now and then, too. Gameplay is a non-issue because I already know exactly how it'll play. It's not really premature to judge the games based on that. Everyone has different priorities. The whole point of the thread was to find out what those are~
                Old June 16th, 2017 (3:24 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
                  I will buy it no matter what because my friends are all super pumped so I can't let them down and not buy it :)
                  Old June 16th, 2017 (3:37 AM).
                  The return

Nature: Bashful
                    I'm going against the tide here and say that I could possibly skip them. The new confirmed main title for the Switch has me more excited than USUM despite knowing very little about it. So rather than spend on these games, I'd rather buy a Switch and be ready for the future.
                    Old June 16th, 2017 (10:50 AM). Edited June 18th, 2017 by Amabilis.

I'll have to wait for more information before deciding on whether or not I want to buy these games. If they are going to improve Sun and Moon's flaws in a big way and if it does some interesting things with the plot, I might consider it. But if it's just Sun and Moon with improve graphics and minor improvements then I'll focus my attention to that Switch Pokemon game.
                      Old June 16th, 2017 (12:17 PM).
                      Banned

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
                        Isn't saying that you're going to buy them judging them prematurely, though? You've already decided you're going to buy them with barely any information available. It's just as hasty to say they're worth your time at this stage as it is to say they're not.

But honestly, I don't think judging the games prematurely is an issue here. It's a Pokemon game, and we all know on some level what we're getting, and what we can expect from that. In a franchise like this, where things really do not change in any ground-shaking way between instalments in gameplay terms, it's the little things that can make or break the purchase. The little things are what people look for in core Pokemon titles, and those little things can delay or outright put off purchases...or secure a day-one buy.

Like, for me, as a random example...if I see Lillie hand-holding through the region again, I won't buy these myself. I will probably ask for one for Christmas, but I wouldn't buy them. If I saw something crazy like revisiting Sinnoh after travelling through Alola, I'd buy these day one and I'd be bouncing off the walls between now and then, too. Gameplay is a non-issue because I already know exactly how it'll play. It's not really premature to judge the games based on that. Everyone has different priorities. The whole point of the thread was to find out what those are~
                        I have brought every single pokemon in a gen starting with 4. I am not missing USUM. People assume that these are the worst games ever when we saw only a thirty second trailer. Makes no sense.
                        Old June 18th, 2017 (2:04 AM).

Quote:
                        I have brought every single pokemon in a gen starting with 4. I am not missing USUM. People assume that these are the worst games ever when we saw only a thirty second trailer. Makes no sense.
                        I think that's a little hyperbolic...I don't know about "worst games ever" but there is plenty of reason to be hesitant about buying these games, or be less than optimistic about what form they will take. If you don't like Alola then these games are instantly unappealing, even more so than Sun/Moon would have been if you played the games anyway. The wording used in the trailer to describe the games could be unappealing - a re-imagining might not be a third version, but it's not a sequel either; that could put off people who DID like Alola but who wouldn't want to play the game through again. The mascots could put you off just as easily as they could excite you. I could go on.

I guess my point is that, even if there isn't really enough to outright condemn these games - and I'm not saying that there is - there is more than enough to form a negative first impression, just as there is enough to form a positive one...for some people. It might not make sense to you, but then your view might not make sense to other people either.
                        Old June 18th, 2017 (5:27 AM).

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying one of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, and on release day or close enough to it, bar some trailer reveal that just happens to make me not want to. Part of me thinks that I really shouldn't, given my disappointment with the past few games/the series that I think y'all are generally aware of by now, but these are likely to be a bit better than Sun/Moon so there's that at least.

But I think the bigger reason why I'm going to buy US/UM and have kept buying the Pokemon games over the years is that I keep gambling on the chance to see if it's better than I expected, if they finally got it right this time. While they do reveal things to us beforehand, they don't reveal literally everything to us--they can't, things wouldn't be as fun then. Even for the things they do reveal, they might not show us everything about it, and it's one thing to see it, but another to play it. So I go in thinking that maybe there will be some surprise in store that'll make it worth it and/or that things will be more fun than I imagined.

But if these don't impress me and renew my faith in the franchise, I think I won't be buying the games on day one bar the likely upcoming Sinnoh remake and instead wait and see if they're worth getting or not, which could then mean that there could be some games I just straight up won't ever buy/play. I've been giving them chances (and my money) for more than 15 years now, I think it's time to stop until they can deliver.
                        Old June 18th, 2017 (6:23 AM).

Nature: Jolly
                        Normally I'd buy any main-series game at launch but since SM were rather disappointing to me, I'll wait to make my decision based on just how many changes are made. If the only additions are a few new Kanto Alola forms, a few extra clothes, and the new Prism Mascots, then I likely won't get them. But if we see some substantial improvements, I'll go for it.

Old June 18th, 2017 (10:40 AM).
                        The return

Nature: Bashful
                          I'm going to skip these games due to financial reasons. Really rather use the money for a Switch than for USUM.
                          Old June 18th, 2017 (11:21 AM).

Nature: Careful
                            Gonna buy them both! I played through both sun and moon so it makes even more sense I'd get both. I'll prolly go through US more though considering Sun is my main game.

I already got some money to buy at least ultra sun, but if the game doesn't appeal to me in the trailers I'll probably wait a bit for more info.
                            Old June 18th, 2017 (12:16 PM).
                            Banned

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
                              I think that's a little hyperbolic...I don't know about "worst games ever" but there is plenty of reason to be hesitant about buying these games, or be less than optimistic about what form they will take. If you don't like Alola then these games are instantly unappealing, even more so than Sun/Moon would have been if you played the games anyway. The wording used in the trailer to describe the games could be unappealing - a re-imagining might not be a third version, but it's not a sequel either; that could put off people who DID like Alola but who wouldn't want to play the game through again. The mascots could put you off just as easily as they could excite you. I could go on.

I guess my point is that, even if there isn't really enough to outright condemn these games - and I'm not saying that there is - there is more than enough to form a negative first impression, just as there is enough to form a positive one...for some people. It might not make sense to you, but then your view might not make sense to other people either.
                              My view makes perfect sense. I actually give these games a chance unlike some. I don't jump to conclusions over a thirty second trailer. People who hate USUM are wrong and that is fact.
                              Old June 19th, 2017 (1:36 AM).

Its a POKEMON game afterall, so I would have to play it
                                Old June 19th, 2017 (9:22 AM).

Quote:
                                  People who hate USUM are wrong and that is fact.
                                  They're not wrong to be hesitant to buy US/UM, and I don't think that they "hate" the games over a thirty-second trailer. They came to their decision based on how they felt about S/M (and maybe other older Pokemon games like the other 3DS ones) and figured that they're not going to spend their money on a game that they might not find enjoyable.

Granted, I'm not that excited about US/UM. I've only played Sun once and didn't enjoy it as much as I did with other Pokemon games. (And I was really hoping for Sinnoh remakes/Crystal on the eShop). I'm still going to buy Ultra Sun, at least since I play at least one main series Pokemon game per set.

But I'm wondering if I'm going to wait a bit before getting Ultra Sun, and not get it on release date like I have with nearly every other previous release. For one thing, I have a long list of other games I still want to play through. For another thing...I just wasn't that much of a fan of S/M, so I'm probably not going to be excited about US/UM.

"Now the trumpet summons us again--
                                  not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need--
                                  not as a call to battle, though embattled we are--
                                  but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out."

Quick Reply