• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Mew get a new form, primordial?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
One of the more popular pokemons around, sufficive to say its been left behind in recent generations.
So many mega/primordial pokemons now, some who were already better, but now just laughs at Mew relatively pathetic stats.
Im well aware of its amazing movepool, so im not advocating to make it totally game-breaking, just a nice little boost in stats.

Some will probably tell me that Mew isnt a bad pokemon, but everything is relative, i guess.

Last edited:
Years
I suppose i will give my honest intake on this, now i realize the competitive pokemon forum may not be a place for this but i will state why i believe that mew may not get a mega/primal form or a boost in stats.
Alright if my childhood serves me correctly mew was deemed "The ancestor of all pokemon" my theory is that mew is the basic form of all pokemon unevolved in a sense. that mew is the original pokemon in which all pokemon evolved from for example Mew over time became poliwag or magikarp as it needed to evolve to suit the demands of survival something along those lines. Another part of my theory is that mew is said to hold the DNA of all pokemon because its own DNA is present within all pokemon as it as a species evolved which could explain why mew holds the DNA of all pokemon. This also goes into competitive mons in the sense that 100 straight across the stat board is seen a "base" spread meaning that its stats possibly increased/decreased as it relied more/less on them to survive as they as a species evolved. Mew getting an evolution would by this theory have already have happened and mew would be the primal reversion of every pokemon bar legendaries as they are of differing circumstances.
Mew in competitive mons is certainly not bad but it gets four moveslot syndrome at times with its very diverse movepool it does get it's own Z-move which i believe is really neat and adds to what it can do offensively.
Also i understand that i may have went a little bit overboard regarding the topic of the thread and for that i apologize but from the look of the thread it seems that it could be designed to elicit a discussion.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

Yeah I tend to agree that Mew doesn't need another form. Not only is it the ancestor of all Pokemon, meaning only one exists--there is no other form of it. But also what would a new form accomplish? Mew can already learn every TM. A new typing wouldn't really do anything for it or make much sense either. Sure, some things can probably be tweaked to make it more competitively viable but Game Freak doesn't really take that into account and I highly doubt they would touch the lore of Mew.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Its already too late for that, mega-op mega ubers are all around, they are not going away.

Not including it on Mew still couldn't hurt.

But beyond that, Mew works as it was; to add on top of that would cheapen the original purpose.

Years
Mew has a BST of 600 and a flat 100 for all stats. This isn't supremely impressive by any means, but it is far from being pathetic even in the modern meta. On top of that it can learn almost every move in the game and has a decent movepool. As it is, Mew is one of the few gen 1 Pokemon still solidly an OU mon.

Whilst a mega form or similar would be very cool and would not only be powerful and easy to do thematically, it's not even close to being necessary. Mew is already a really good mon.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't think that Game Freak really cares if it "needs" a buff/mega/primal or not

If they did, we wouldn't have gotten 2 Mega Mewtwos, Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon/Kyogre, etc

Which, speaking of these 'mons, they're also an example of them being fine with "touching the lore" and so probably don't feel like it "cheapens" the Pokemon

Although I don't expect a new Mew form anytime soon, as they gave it its own exclusive Z-Move (Genesis Supernova) this generation. Megas and primals aren't the thing Game Freak is pushing anymore, it's Z-Moves, which they likely put in the same boat as megas, and whatever flashy new battle mechanic that we REALLY don't need that they decide to put in next gen.

Back