• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Best/Easiest tool to change player front and back sprites in Emerald?

Vecni

Memer
Years
I've been getting into rom hacking, but currently, I am having trouble finding a good way to change the protagonist's front and back sprites, I have tried UNLZ GBA and it seems the colours do not sync, despite using the exact same indexed pallete, does anyone have a better way?

Delta231

A noob
Years
I've been getting into rom hacking, but currently, I am having trouble finding a good way to change the protagonist's front and back sprites, I have tried UNLZ GBA and it seems the colours do not sync, despite using the exact same indexed pallete, does anyone have a better way?

Do you know the graphical offsets and the palletes? I use NSE 2.1

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
As for other tools, I use:
YAPE
Advanced Pokemon Sprite editor
Advanced Pokemon Icon editor
Advanced Pokemon Sprite positioner

YAPE isn't as good as far as what I was able to get it to do - I've noticed some features have actually been *removed* in recent versions. I use G3T with PGE and it covers a lot more than YAPE (including lots of PokéDex data that YAPE doesn't even show you). G3T can edit movesets and EVs much more efficiently than the other editors, as well as explaining extra information about some stuff (thus removing a little bit of trial-and-error)

Vecni

Memer
Years
YAPE isn't as good as far as what I was able to get it to do - I've noticed some features have actually been *removed* in recent versions. I use G3T with PGE and it covers a lot more than YAPE (including lots of PokéDex data that YAPE doesn't even show you). G3T can edit movesets and EVs much more efficiently than the other editors, as well as explaining extra information about some stuff (thus removing a little bit of trial-and-error)

Okay thanks, but do you know a good way to edit back sprites? That'd be great, I'm unsure but I think May and Brendan share palletes for the back sprites? I know the front ones dont....

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
Okay thanks, but do you know a good way to edit back sprites? That'd be great, I'm unsure but I think May and Brendan share palletes for the back sprites? I know the front ones dont....

NSE. You'll need UNLZ-GBA to find it, more than likely.

Last edited:

Vecni

Memer
Years
NSE. You'll need UNLZ-GBA to find it, more than likely.
I have tried many different things, the farthest I've gotten is being able to change both the front and back sprites with UNLZ on Ruby atleast, but when I did that (Even though both images shared the EXACT same pallete, and were indexed, the colours glitched out on either the front or back sprites, and by glitched out I mean placed the wrong colours in the wrong places

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 26, 2020
I have tried many different things, the farthest I've gotten is being able to change both the front and back sprites with UNLZ on Ruby atleast, but when I did that (Even though both images shared the EXACT same pallete, and were indexed, the colours glitched out on either the front or back sprites, and by glitched out I mean placed the wrong colours in the wrong places

Then the order of the palette was wrong. Use NSE to fix it lol

Back