• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remove a Letter or Two, Would Ya?

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen today
Hi, all! So this is a game I saw on some subreddit some time ago, and I thought that it would be appropriate to post it here.

The Rules of The Game:
  • Remove either one or two letters (or characters) from a Pokémon-related term. The terms can be Moves, Items, Abilities, Areas - whatever you can think of that is Pokémon related.
  • Make sure that your new term (the one with letters removed) makes some kind of sense. For example, removing the "a" from "Tackle" results in "Tckle", which doesn't really mean anything.
  • Once you're done, add a description to your new term. Keep in mind that if you changed an item, your new term should be an item still, and so on. You can go into more detail such as typing for moves and Pokémon, but it's not required.

The Rules of The Thread:
  • Only one idea per post, please! This keeps things fresh and encourages everyone to come back!
  • I will update the first post (this one) with compilations of everyone's ideas, so please check to make sure you aren't repeating something that someone else said! But keep in mind that you can use the same base word as someone else as long as you remove different letters!

Examples:
  • "Mewtwo -> Mewt. This new Pokémon is basically Mewtwo except it can't talk."
  • "Spite -> Spit. The Pokémon kind of just spits on its opponent."
  • "Flame Body -> Lame Body. This Pokémon can't walk or use any kicking attacks."
  • "Nest Ball -> Net Ball. Wait, isn't this already an item? Crap."

Compilation of ideas:
Spoiler:

Let's go!

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Why don't we make the game so that one person posts a Pokemon related term, and then the next person removes two letters from it and posts a new Pokemon related form for the next person? Like this:

Poster 1: Shadow Ball
Poster 2: Show Ball. The user shows a ball to the opponent, then throws it. Light Metal
Poster 3: Lit Metal. All Steel-type moves used by the user will become Fire type.
etc.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
Huge Power -> Hug Power! Hugs have never been so... powerful. Totally not Bewear's real ability.

lhqkxrj.png

• "Mewtwo -> Mewt. This new Pokémon is basically Mewtwo except it can't talk."
  • "Spite -> Spit. The Pokémon kind of just spits on its opponent."
  • "Flame Body -> Lame Body. This Pokémon can't walk or use any kicking attacks."
  • "Nest Ball -> Net Ball. Wait, isn't this already an item? Crap."

^ LMAO at these. xD I think I'm already loving this game!

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
Why don't we make the game so that one person posts a Pokemon related term, and then the next person removes two letters from it and posts a new Pokemon related form for the next person? Like this:

Poster 1: Shadow Ball
Poster 2: Show Ball. The user shows a ball to the opponent, then throws it. Light Metal
Poster 3: Lit Metal. All Steel-type moves used by the user will become Fire type.
etc.

Yeah it's a good idea, but someone could just completely bone someone else by typing "Cut" or "Fly" or something.

Also this thread is probably going to be different from other games, because it's more geared towards finding funny terms rather than lasting forever.

Meadow

Years
Yeah it's a good idea, but someone could just completely bone someone else by typing "Cut" or "Fly" or something.

Also this thread is probably going to be different from other games, because it's more geared towards finding funny terms rather than lasting forever.

Oops I was ninja'd, but I do agree with you! Classic's idea also makes perfect sense, but it might be a little harder to be creative that way, you know? I think this thread could work fine the way it is right now. :D

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
Oops I was ninja'd, but I do agree with you! Classic's idea also makes perfect sense, but it might be a little harder to be creative that way, you know?
Yup, definitely agree. Creativity is key here.

I'm going to add this:

Heavy Metal -> Heavy Meal. If this Pokémon gets eaten, its eater will have digestion problems.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Can I throw this idea in, then?

Light Metal -> Lit Metal. All Steel-type moves used by the user will become Fire type.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
no one's ever been able to summon him!

Ice Burn -> Ice Urn. The user creates a vase-like object out of ice for others to admire.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
no it's because this game makes- ok i'll stop now

Close Combat -> Lose Combat. It's the opposite of Win Attack. After use you kind of just...lose the battle.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
Cursed Body -> Cursed B.O. The Pokémon who has this ability smells really, really bad.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
Beat Up -> Eat Up. The Pokémon and its entire team devour its opponent like a snack.

Also Important:
I've been thinking about disallowing things like:
- Slugma -> Slug.
- Tepig -> Pig.
And so on. It just seems really boring to revert Pokémon to the animal/whatever that they're based on.
Thoughts?

Meadow

Years
Super Rod -> Sup Rod! This rod actually fishes out humans instead of Pokémon. If you say "sup" to anyone caught by this rod, they will become your new best friend!

Also Important:
I've been thinking about disallowing things like:
- Slugma -> Slug.
- Tepig -> Pig.
And so on. It just seems really boring to revert Pokémon to the animal/whatever that they're based on.
Thoughts?

Hmm, I actually think reversions like those could still be okay! The name might not be creative, but I'm sure someone can totally come up with a witty description for those! I can't immediately think of an example at the moment, but if I were to revert "Tepig" to "Pig," I would most likely crack a joke at how unoriginal it sounds, just like Krabby's Japanese name. xD The descriptions are a huge part of the fun, after all!

Oh, and Krabby's Japanese name is literally "Crab," ahaha.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen today
Hmm, I actually think reversions like those could still be okay! The name might not be creative, but I'm sure someone can totally come up with a witty description for those! I can't immediately think of an example at the moment, but if I were to revert "Tepig" to "Pig," I would most likely crack a joke at how unoriginal it sounds, just like Krabby's Japanese name. xD The descriptions are a huge part of the fun, after all!

Oh, and Krabby's Japanese name is literally "Crab," ahaha.

Ok, I see your point. I guess I'll keep it like that. Personally I thought the descriptions would be "Slugma -> Slug. Wow, it's just a slug" every single time.

Also,

Earth Power -> Ear Power. The Pokémon uses its ears to uh...do damage or something.

Back