• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[META] Next Gender Race Game Ideas?

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
-Instead of making only double-posting against the rules, users would also have to wait until two people post before posting again. An alternative would be to make this a rule only for people counting by two and getting them to post by one otherwise. For example:

Alice: 517
Roger: 516
Alice: 517 (because there's only one post since her last)
Steve: 516
Roger: 515
Alice: 517 (because there are at least two posts since her last)
Good idea but only if the girls up by 2, guys by 1 rule is removed. I agree with LegendChu that we shouldn't have that rule again.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
I don't think anyone seriously tried to get the guys to join the girls. I admit I teased the subject a few times, but I wasn't trying to brainwash guys into changing sides. The only strategy I used was making conversation with the guys, because I knew every reply they gave me increased our count by one in the long run. ^_^
The guys were bribed with chocolates & other stuff, early in the game & some did fall for it, lol :P. And yeah making conversations was good strategy ;).

Anyway I've been trying to come up with other possible ideas, and I want to see what people think of this:

-Instead of making only double-posting against the rules, users would also have to wait until two people post before posting again. An alternative would be to make this a rule only for people counting by two and getting them to post by one otherwise. For example:

Alice: 517
Roger: 516
Alice: 517 (because there's only one post since her last)
Steve: 516
Roger: 515
Alice: 517 (because there are at least two posts since her last)
I still don't think there's any harm in trying my idea, for one Gender Race, but since everyone wants a boring normal Gender Race (let's go with my idea ;-;), how about we do this:-

1) Whenever someone posts on the Thread for the first time, they have to declare which side they'll be posting on & register them accordingly on the guys or girls' side on the OP. Once that's done strictly no switching sides.
2) Keep it traditional, guys go down by one, girls go up by one, that way it'll be fair to everyone.
3) Keep it simple, with only the double posting not allowed rule in place.

Pika Pika :chu:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
I still don't think there's any harm in trying my idea, for one Gender Race, but since everyone wants a boring normal Gender Race (let's go with my idea ;-;), how about we do this:-

1) Whenever someone posts on the Thread for the first time, they have to declare which side they'll be posting on & register them accordingly on the guys or girls' side on the OP. Once that's done strictly no switching sides.
2) Keep it traditional, guys go down by one, girls go up by one, that way it'll be fair to everyone.
That's OK for me if people doesn't want to try your hurt/heal idea for one game.

Btw, is it impossible to have both the hurt/heal and normal gender race simultaneously? The Forum games rules has only the only three counting/chatting games at a time rule.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
That's OK for me if people doesn't want to try your hurt/heal idea for one game.

Btw, is it impossible to have both the hurt/heal and normal gender race simultaneously? The Forum games rules has only the only three counting/chatting games at a time rule.
That's a good suggestion, won't do any harm, if we have it as a separate game. Will have to ask Don though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
hurt/heals aren't normally chatty counting games like the typical counting games that just have you counting up or down, if that makes sense. if people want both i'd say go for it shrugs.

Years
Thanks for posting your thoughts on this colours :' ) and yeah! I kind of get that non existent issue thing.

Past games were skewed 'cause--- Less female participants compared to male. So easy win for boyz :p

Last game was skewed 'cause:---> Girls count by 2 ^ ( which is totally fine ) but then everyone started switching mid way from boys side to girls so it became ( kind of ) example: 3 boys vs 3 girls ( just the girls had advantage of that 2 up count) so yeah pretty much we got broken game.

Here is the thing: We can't anticipate how many people ( boys ) will support girls side and how many girls will even participate in this ( I'm not considering boys 'cause boys xD )

So I'm just going to quote previous suggestion...
-Keep it as a gender race
-Allow guys to help the girls(or vice versa) as official "retainers."
-Switching will not be allowed as people will be registered as being on one side from the moment they make their first post(as a database on the thread's first post)
-I still think girls should be able to vote by two(though I might be biased haha)

There are couple of things I disagree with like keeping database....It'll be too much of a hassle for thread creator.
Just stating in game rules: *. You can't switch sides the moment you posted from either girls or boys side.
*. Girls count up by 2.
*. Keep it as classic gender race.

I totally loved last gender race until everyone started switching side so yeah no switching side midways...

Years
Well I don't think it's impossible to keep track of the new members posting but everyone needs time off or any kind of internet issue or anything so I dunno.

There are couple of ways like when a member post in thread they quote thread creator stating their side or PM them etc etc
But I don't want something like that, people come here to enjoy a game, get themselves, their avatar, sig etc rated, ( increase post count :x etc ). Stating things like quote the thread creator or VM PM will only put them off.

So acc to me, best way is active members in thread. They will see if someone switch side. They want their side to win, right? So basically everyone will be on look out to see if someone switch sides.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Switching sides should have been disallowed to begin with. It wasnt allowed last time i was here. You were one gender or the other for the game. Just sayin.

Its also something that shouldn't have to be monitored either. If someone is switching sides than theyre not being a team player. Or something along those lines i believe there is a different term im going for but you get my point.

Years
Well I don't think it's impossible to keep track of the new members posting but everyone needs time off or any kind of internet issue or anything so I dunno.

If I can avoid having to track it, I'd much prefer to not track it. I don't want my PC time to turn into a daily "okay let's check the Gender Race for gender counting rule violations and new people" and then by the time that's done my evening is gone because it took half the night to check the thread.

For balance, side-changing needs to be barred (sorry, genderfluid people, you'll have to pick a side to count with and stick to that side for that particular game in future iterations; you can switch between games), but a list does not need to be created.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
At least the discussions got going again :).

Well, I already made a proposal:-

1) Whenever someone posts on the Thread for the first time, they declare which side they'll be posting on & register them accordingly on the guys or girls' side on the OP. Once that's done strictly no switching sides.
Its not easy to know if a person is switching sides or not, without keeping track, isn't it? I've done 3 massive Events that required me to keep track of a lot of stuff simultaneously, so I can take the responsibility of making the Thread.

As for my idea, it was just an attempt to try something new & it allows people of any Gender to participate. But alright, maybe we can have that as a separate game then?

Thinking about it though, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is, to prevent people from switching sides. What if a gender-fluid person wants to switch sides midway, you cannot say "oh you can't do that because you already picked a Gender", don't think it'll sound very nice. And what if the game tilts highly in favour of one faction & someone wants to help out (which is what happened on the previous game)?

Have the girls won a Gender Race before, not sure if they have, so its actually a good thing the tradition of boys always winning was broken last time.

Also, would this still count as a Gender Race (if guys are allowed to support girls or even vice-versa), this is more like one faction vs another, with people picking which side (Gender) they want to Vote for (like what happened in the previous one), which beats the purpose in the first place.

Let's all be really honest here, there can never be a perfect solution (if such a thing even exists).

But if you are looking for one how about this - let's not think too much about this, its only a Game after all
shrug%2B(1).gif
. Go either with how its traditionally played (Girls up by 1, Guys down by 1) or what we did last time (Girls go up by 2, Guys down by 1), with only Global Pokecommunity Rules in place & forget making any other rule.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Thinking about it though, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is, to prevent people from switching sides. What if a gender-fluid person wants to switch sides midway, you cannot say "oh you can't do that because you already picked a Gender", don't think it'll sound very nice. And what if the game tilts highly in favour of one faction & someone wants to help out (which is what happened on the previous game)?
Okay but. Heres the deal. In every other competitive game you think of exactly how many allow you to switch sides midgame? It doesnt matter your gender once you pick a side you stick to that side throughout the round. Doesnt matter if youre genderfluid or you wish to help. Maybe you should have picked the other side from the beginning. If gender is the issue then we should make the gender race apples vs oranges instead.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
Okay but. Heres the deal. In every other competitive game you think of exactly how many allow you to switch sides midgame? It doesnt matter your gender once you pick a side you stick to that side throughout the round. Doesnt matter if youre genderfluid or you wish to help. Maybe you should have picked the other side from the beginning. If gender is the issue then we should make the gender race apples vs oranges instead.
We're overthinking this whole thing for such a simple game.

How about we do the thing we did last game, but with no switching.
When you have a discussion, its important to look at both sides of the coin, which is what I was trying to do.

In competitive games yes, switching isn't allowed. But this is just a normal Forum game, where the first objective should be to have fun. I'm a guy, so I'll stick to the guys team throughout, like I did on the previous one. But if someone is Gender Fluid & still wants to be part of it, why force them to pick a Gender? And what do you do if someone does want to switch sides midway, complains that was a bad rule in the first place & has supporters. Ban them, infract them?

Also, if Gender doesn't matter, then why call it a Gender Race in the first place, let's just make it Team A vs Team B. The Gender Race already turned into apples vs oranges, when the guys decided to help girls, it was just one faction against the other, not a traditional Gender Race (guys vs girls).

Like I said, its not easy to please everyone, so the best thing to do is to make a new Thread, keep it traditional, have fun & stop thinking about adding any additional rules. That would be the simplest way to go about it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm sorry. But i still cant agree with you in any of those points. It's a game yes. But we can't just let someone do what they want just because they're genderfluid, I'm sorry. If they're not comfortable picking a gender for a game based off gender then maybe they should be finding another game to play. It sucks, i know, but if gender really is an issue then like you and both have said and make it something not based on gender. Fruit race lets go.

"Normal forum game" or not its still bad sportsmanship to switch sides whenever you feel like it. We shouldn't be having to discuss this It should be common courtesy to those you're playing with.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I've been reading through this thread and felt like posting (I have nothing to do with myself lately)

forgive me if I say something dumb since I hardly ever post in this section

It kind of seems to me that the issue with the race that you just had was that both side switching was allowed and there was an increased count for one side, at the same time and those things were never removed once put in. Pretty easy for for the side with the upped count to win in that case, why even bother with the game then. So the solution would be to not have both those things be going in the game at the same time, I would think.

Changing it from gender to something else doesn't necessarily eliminate the issue either, as the chance that one side will always have significantly more people can always possibly exist.

Really though I'm not sure why gender politics are being dragged into this either. Do the genderfluid and non-binary individuals of the forum actually give a shit if they can't switch sides whenever in a forum game of all things?

Years
totally agree with that....
Side switching started like 2 games before last one I think....Ded wanted to help girl's side so he switched, nothing big happened that time and it was still fun.
The people who switched to girl's side just wanted to help them, I'm not seeing anything like that ^ .

I know switching side is bad sportsmanship Ash but well, they're enjoying it I think that's all what matters xD

It's just a forum game :p Everyone knows that we can't anticipate how many people are going to be on which side. So, "remove up by 2 rule" for girls and just post a classic gender race with or without restriction on side switching c:

So, yeah....+1 for good ol' gender race.

@Don: Ikr xD

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
I've been reading through this thread and felt like posting (I have nothing to do with myself lately)

forgive me if I say something dumb since I hardly ever post in this section

It kind of seems to me that the issue with the race that you just had was that both side switching was allowed and there was an increased count for one side, at the same time and those things were never removed once put in. Pretty easy for for the side with the upped count to win in that case, why even bother with the game then. So the solution would be to not have both those things be going in the game at the same time, I would think.

Changing it from gender to something else doesn't necessarily eliminate the issue either, as the chance that one side will always have significantly more people can always possibly exist.

Really though I'm not sure why gender politics are being dragged into this either. Do the genderfluid and non-binary individuals of the forum actually give a **** if they can't switch sides whenever in a forum game of all things?
Hi Nah, thanks for your views :).

The problem was that all the previous Gender Races were very one sided, guys always winning, so this time we went for girls count up by 2 (instead of 1) & guys still count down by 1 (we start from 500, 0 means a win for the guys, 1000 means a win for the girls). The reason guys changed sides the last time was because the girls never had a chance, even with changed rules, because there weren't enough of them playing. Did it get out of hand? Maybe it did a little bit, but that's what made it exciting, the unpredictability & I'd want it to be that way.

And yes I'm totally with you on that, this should never have gotten into a Gender debate at all, which is why I was never in favour of a discussion Thread regarding this.

I'm sorry. But i still cant agree with you in any of those points. It's a game yes. But we can't just let someone do what they want just because they're genderfluid, I'm sorry. If they're not comfortable picking a gender for a game based off gender then maybe they should be finding another game to play. It sucks, i know, but if gender really is an issue then like you and both have said and make it something not based on gender. Fruit race lets go.

"Normal forum game" or not its still bad sportsmanship to switch sides whenever you feel like it. We shouldn't be having to discuss this It should be common courtesy to those you're playing with.
Most of it has been addressed. Just one thing to add, I never said you have to agree with me, you have the right to your opinion, I'm absolutely fine with that. But same way I don't agree with your views either, especially not the find some other game to play, which I'm sorry to say is a bit on the rude side. If we are talking about an actual Gender Race, it should include every single recognizable Gender identity not just Guys vs Girls.

Anyways, this is getting into sensitive territory & I don't think we should be discussing all that here, its the fun part of the Forum.

The people who switched to girl's side just wanted to help them, I'm not seeing anything like that ^ . II know switching side is bad sportsmanship Ash but well, they're enjoying it I think that's all what matters xD

So, yeah....+1 for good ol' gender race.
Right bud, just what I said :)! I've already presented the simplest solution, let's not think too much into it, just make a new Thread, with traditional rules applying & have fun.

On a lighter note, even fruit races don't necessarily go as planned.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
You're ignoring the base problem for something that is probably not even an issue. I really feel like you're missing my point and making it into more than what it is.

People switching sides was frustrating years ago. People switching sides today is just as so. It shouldn't be a thing.

Years
Yeah I think that's basically what we're gonna do for v9. No crazy complications, no lists. Just plain and simple state the rules (no switching, girls count by 2, boys count by 1) in the OP and have people report any breaking of the switching sides rule (particularly if it gets rampant).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Yes. Please. That's all I'm asking. Sorry for allowing myself to get blown out of proportion but that is p much all I asked from the beginning.

Back