• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favourites and Least Favourites: Generation 4 Pokémon!

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Favourites and Least Favourites: Generation 4 Pok?mon!

The old thread dated back to 2017, so I thought I would revive it!

Let's discuss favourites! Sinnoh is a region brimming with great Pok?mon. Which of them stood out to you the most? Were there any you didn't like?

semi

the magnificent steiner
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
Drifloon! Cute, cute Drifloon is possibly my favourite Pok?mon adorable-wise to date. It completely put me under its spell from my very first Friday at the Valley Windworks.

On the other hand, I hated Bibarel. Its stats aren't great, it feels like its water-typing was unnecessary and I find its appearance hideous. I found Bidoof particularly likable, so having a disappointing evolution really sucked :(

Years
This region isn?t a favourite of mine do think Toxicroak is fantastic. I love the design and typing.

Not a fan of Bidoof. It just looks ridiculous and I hate all HM slaves

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Funny how some of my initial least-favorites are some of my favorites now. I used to hate Glaceon because its "hair" looked awkward and its Shiny was only a couple shades lighter, but now I think Shiny Glaceon is beautiful. I also thought Burmy was a weirdo and didn't pay Mothim much mind, but now I'm a bit of a moth freak, adore Shiny Mothim, and appreciate Burmy a lot more because bagworms.

I've considered Froslass my favorite Gen. 4 Pok?mon for a long time. A friend in school traded me one and I fell in love with her and Ice-Type moves. I even became an Ice-Monotype user for a while because of her. However, since scoring a full-odds Shiny Mothim in HGSS earlier this year, I'm torn between Froslass and Shiny Mothim as my favorite Gen. 4 Pok?mon.

I also enjoy Luxio/Luxray, Pachirisu (my favorite Pika-clone), Weavile, Leafeon, Gallade, and Azelf.

I'd love to have a pet skunk IRL if it wasn't for all the red tape, so I'm currently Shiny-hunting a full-odds Stunky/Skuntank in Diamond. They're not nearly as cute as real skunks, but I imagine that finding a full-odds Shiny one might make me a bigger fan.

Least-favorites include Lickilicky (despite Lickitung being one of my top-favorites), Magmortar, Bronzor, and Kricketune (though its cry is amusing).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 21, 2018
Weird, I really liked Bibarel and his design. It kinda felt like the developers where poking fun at the whole idea of the first area normal type pokemon being bad, by making the final form of bidoof hilariously bad memeish. I

My favourites were probably Honchrow, Cranidos, Dusknoir and Yanmega I didnt really care for the poison types they introduced except Drapion

Years
I don't like most of the Sinnoh Pok?mon. My favourite is probably Mantyke. It's just cute little Manta ray baby.

And least favourite? I'm not sure... Like I said, it would be most of the Sinnoh Pok?mon... To pick few, I would say Tangrowth, Yanmega, Rampardos and Heatran.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I'll admit I am very biased toward this Gen. I love pretty much all the Sinnoh Pok?mon, apart from a few cross-generational evolutions. Each one is colourful and brings back a lot of nostalgia.

Sinnoh also introduced my all-time favourite Pok?mon, Shinx. I was never without one on my team!

Here are my top favourites:

shinx-f.png
luxio-f.png
luxray-f.png
monferno.png
infernape.png
staraptor-f.png
floatzel.png
lopunny.png
mismagius.png
glameow.png
gabite-f.png
riolu.png
lucario.png
glaceon.png
leafeon.png
gallade.png

And those I didn't take to:

bronzor.png
mime-jr.png
probopass.png
mamoswine-f.png
electivire.png
magmortar.png
abomasnow-f.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 16, 2023
Generation 4 really made Pok?mon for me.

I especially loved the sprite design in D/P better than HG/SS.

Favourite Pok?mon: Glaceon - nice stats and very cute.

Least favourite pok?mon: Magmortar - Please uninstall yourself Magmortar. You're ugly. :'(

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 20, 2019
As a starter I thought Empoleon was awesome just because of it's design. Other than that I love the pokemon chingling but that's mostly because it's the first (and only) shiny pokemon I've caught in game

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I know its popular but I like Riolu.
There aren't many Gen 4 pokemon that I don't like. I liked most of the new evos/pre-evos, but not all.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Porygon-Z is my personal favorite from this Generation. It's zany, it's hilarious, it's absolutely beautiful.

My least favorite is probably the entire Burmy family. They're just so lackluster.

Years
Sinnoh is my favourite region and I am absolutely in love with the pokemon they introduced. That being said, there are some that I like over others.

My favourites include: Lopunny, Glaceon, Roserade, Pachirisu, Garchomp, Cherrim, Mismagius, Leafeon, and Froslass.

It's really difficult to pick a least favourite, but if I had to I'd say Hippopotas or Probopass. Hippopotas looks slightly odd to me, it's endearing in a way, but it's overall design is lackluster compared to a lot of other pokemon in this generation. Probopass on the other hand, well, it's a creepy rock with a moustache. It's weird and I really don't like it.

Years
Togekiss.

I always used my togepi eggs, and was really excited about mothering mine in GSC when I was a wee thing. I had the patience to hatch it, befriend it so that it evolved it into Togetic and did suprisingly well with this frail Pokemon, and even managed to get it to the Pokemon league, me and my little precious Tweety bird. We would do silly things together, troll my classmates in metronome battles.

It was amazing when gen 4 rolled around and a Pokemon that had mostly nostalgic for me was buffed into a gargantuan tank as my reward. I love Togekiss and have bred many over generations and used then on different teams.

Of all the Pokemon I could make real it would probably be this one because its a Pokemon that I could travel the world and fly on the back on, but like Ho-oh this is a magical Pokemon that brings those who befriend it good fortunes and happiness. Life is filled with enough suffering as it is and together Togekiss and I could change the world.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 19, 2018
Before I had my hands on Platinum, having played only LG, Emerald and SS before, I'd describe myself as a genwunner. Sinnoh changed a lot for me, having many of my favorites in it. Also it gave me a greater perspective for the new generations.

I've always considered my favorite typing to be Grass and/or Bug, but weird enough, after Gen 4, most of my likes were from Dark-typing. This is going to be a long list here, here I go.

First off, Weavile, my second favorite pokemon of all time, had a big impact on my viewpoint back then. I love everything about Weavile, and also Lucario.
After Blaziken, my favorite fire-starter is Infernape. I really want a Gen4 remake to see a Monkey-King mega evolution for Infernape. Also I loved Chimchar in the anime.
Staraptor is one of my favorites when it comes to early-region birds. It's pretty strong and looks cool, just like Luxray, which, I think, needs the Dark typing.
Although I've never been a huge fan of water Pokemon, Buizel line is definitely one of my favorites. It's design and it's sprites are so cool, I loved them.
Leafeon, my favorite eeveelution was introduced in Gen4 as well.
I'm in love with two Poison-typed pokemon from gen4; Drapion and Toxicroak. I've used Drapion as well but never had chance to use Toxicroak. I love their designs and typings.
Also, Gliscor and Froslass deserve a honorable mention here.
When it comes to legendaries, I don't really like anything besides Darkrai. I've prefered Giratina over D/P counterparts all the time, so there's that.

I had trouble choosing my least favorites ones, but there are two steel types that I never liked their design, being Bastiodon and Bronzong. I like everything else about Gen 4, I think it was one of the most successful generations in my humble opinion.

Years
Gen 4 has got to be my favourite, Platinum is my favourite game in the series. Sinnoh added so many pokemon that I absolutely love and still love now. My favourites are Infernape, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Drapion, Spiritomb, Roderade, Bastiodon, Porygon-Z and Honchcrow.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Toxicroak was one I was immediately drawn to, but Weavile takes the cake for best. And the boring legendaries, Darkrai and Cresselia were my least favorites.

Last edited:
Back