The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Games Showcase
Developing Pokemon Ancient Amber

Games Showcase This forum is for non-ROM hacked games created by the community. Browse the collection or post your own!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:40 PM). Edited 9 Hours Ago by ASpider.
ASpider's Avatar
ASpider ASpider is online now
Amber Dev
     
    Join Date: Sep 2018
    Location: Home
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Serious
    Posts: 14
    Personal Introduction

    Hello. My name is ASpider and this is my first project for Pokemon Essentials and the fangame community in general. So far, I am the lone developer of this project, which I felt was fine in the "design document" stage, but feels overwhelming now that I've begun to move onto the "asset-making" stage of the game. I expect to have weekly updates for the game most of the time.

    I am posting it here mainly because I'd like to:
    1) Have input on the project. Input of any kind. I feelt like my drive to work goes up when others are criticizing or commenting on my ideas.
    2) Gather people to come help me with the project. I am a friendly person, but I don't like getting too close to others. So I don't really have anybody else on board right now. My skillset is mediocre on all fronts, not being the best at writing, coding, drawing, or deving, but I know stuff about all of these. Enough to make a fangame, I suppose.

    There isn't a Discord or Dropbox for the Game yet because so far there is a lone dev. I'll open one if/when more people join.


    Pokemon Ancient Amber

    The main concept of the game is exploring a "Lost World" setting ( such as those in Doyle's and Burrough's novels ) in a Pokemon game. Basically having people from a modernish setting transplaned into a brand new world where they'll have to face one another as well as a harsh environment and one another. The story will mix elements from stories of this genre, such as Journey to the Center of the Earth with Pokemon. And I threw in some Treasure Island in for good measure just because.

    The map of the island is loosely inspired by the Socotra Island. But it will change once mapping actually begins.

    General Features
    • A story unlike any other seen in Pokemon Games! (actually, I'll admit it is a bit like Sun/Moon)
    • 401 catchable Pokemon. Including 102 old Pokemon, 112 forms, and 187 new Pokemon. Over 100 of these Pokemon will be based on Dinosaurs and other extinct creatures. (Numbers might change a little in the future).
    • Reworked travel mechanics to attempt to maximize exploration (will be explained below).
    • Over 60 new moves.
    • 4 new Terrains (Snowy Terrain, Sandy Terrain, Swampy Terrain and Echoing Grotto)
    • 9 Temples to Explore in order to unlock Treasures that will let you progress through the island and unlock its secrets.
    • Unique sprites for every trainer.
    • Over 20 trainers who you will rematch throughout the game and see grow as characters.
    • Traps that will spring up wild encounters with more-powerful-than-average-wild-pokemon to substitute some Trainer Battles.
    • New berries to substitute regular items that don't make sense in the setting such as Rare Candies.
    • Renamed items to adjust to the setting.

    Story
    The renowned Professor Arauca has posted an ad requesting 16 young trainers (aged 15+) to come with her to chart an island in the middle of the ocean where she believes brand new Pokemon are hidden. In exchange of their help, the best applicants will be given some rare items and Pokemon. You can't miss this one-in-a-lifetime chance! But is Professor Arauca hiding something else about this Island she talks about? Why has nobody heard of it? It doesn't matter with your trusty Escape Rope, you know you'll be fine! Yet... you can't shake the feeling that the crew is being followed...


    Team Horizon prepares to strike!
    Still several kilometers away from the supposed island, and before it could be seen, a mysterious Fog has surrounded the ship and you can barely see past your own nose on the deck. And to make matters worse, most electronics aboard have stopped working after some flash of light struck the ship, which is now moving only thanks to its Pokemon-propelled motor that Professor Arauca had luckily prepared. The other trainers aboard are getting nervous and infighting is breaking out. Things couldn't get any worse!

    Except they could! As you overhear a voice in the storage room talking about taking over the ship in the name of Team Horizon and making the Island their new base of operations once its treasures are secured. You think one of the voices belongs to one of Professor Arauca's assistants. But which one? For now, you can't tell the Professor. At least until you can make sure which crewmates are actually infiltrators from Team Horizon.

    Gameplay Feature Specifics
    Wayfaring:
    1) Clearing obstacles is a bit similar to the way in which it is done in Insurgence.
    HMs: Technically no HMs will exist in the game, but TMs 001 to 010 will be usable outside of battle and will include Cut, Strength, Rock Climb, and Rock Smash, as well as some new moves. Cut will be upgraded to a Bug-type move with a High Crit. Ratio. Strength will be a Normal-type Low Kick. Rock Smash will gain a small Base Power boost. The other Special TMs will be Vine Lasso and Bounce, both of which will let you jump from Tree branches to Tree branches in front of them. And: Incinerate, which will destroy Small Trees just like Cut. PsychoPush, which will push Rocks just like Strength, Metal Claw, which will let you climb just like Rock Climb, and Bulldoze which will let you smash small rocks.
    Items: Items will provide the abilities asociated with Flash, Fly, Surf, and Dive. However, the moves will also exist as TMs.
    2) Escape is always possible. Escape Rope exists as a default unlimited item and will let the player run away from any temple or forest. Similarly, the "Fly" analogue will be acquired relatively early.
    3) Putting encounter rates in the hands of the player as much as possible.Black and White Flutes will be available from early on, and an "Key Item Repel" will be available in the postgame.
    4) Backtracking. Maps should be thought with this in mind, so Waterfalls, Ledges and HM Shortcuts should abound.

    Available Pokemon
    Starters: The starters will be Bulbasaur, Tepig, Totodile, Snivy, Chimchar and Mudkip. Out of these, Tepig, Totodile, Snivy and Chimchar will evolve into brand new "Feral" forms, along with several old Pokemon who make it to this island.
    Wild Pokemon: You catch Pokemon the same way you usually do, but the shortage of Pokeballs in the island will mean that you will have to make-do with the Apricorns you find rather than being able to stockpile. Luckily, there are some rare never-seen-before Apricorns around. Including some trees that appear to give Apricorns at random.
    Dinosaurs: The Island is full of Pokemon long-thought extinct, a handful retain their original forms, but don't be surprised to find many new ones. From Oasaur the Grass/Steel Pokemon based on the Therizinosaur to Dynamichus the Electric/Dragon Pokemon based on the Deinonychus, you are sure to find some of your favorite dinosaurs as Pokemon.
    Megas: Some rare Mega-stones appear in the Island, including 10 old Megas being available as well as some 40 new ones (includes new forms of old Megas).
    Team Horizon: After Team Horizon is defeated, you will have a chance to obtain some of their unique Pokemon created through genetic engineering by trading with its former members.
    Legendaries: The available legendaries in the story will be: Regirock (Rock/Fighting), Regice (Rock/Psychic), Registeel (Steel/Electric), and Regigigas (Normal/Grass) in brand new forms that serve as guardians of the island in 4 of the 8 Temples you will traverse. As well as, Joustice a Ghost/Steel or Fighting/Fairy Pokemon that evaluates your performance in the Island and transforms accordingly, and Valaios the mysterious creature of Amber that has protected the Island since prehistoric times and serves as Boss of the game in its Mega form.


    Thanks

    Links:
    A preview of the Outlined Pokedex (along with some comments from me on the concepts of each Pokemon) can be found here:
    https://pastebin.com/VD35K5be
    A link to the Pokemon Amber Development Discord can be found here:
    https://discord.gg/YM6bvb

    I thank anybody who read this, and invite you to collaborate to the project in any way. Either showing support, or joining the team (Fakemon spriters needed more than anything)
    Attached Images
    File Type: png 0.png‎ (66.9 KB, 34 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Cynite&Cynoct.png‎ (5.9 KB, 17 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Cloam and Bellacota.png‎ (5.0 KB, 18 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Cerebii.png‎ (3.9 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Rodir and Grodentt.png‎ (5.4 KB, 10 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Gronarch.png‎ (5.1 KB, 5 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Form Ivysaur.png‎ (5.0 KB, 130 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Form Venusaur.png‎ (6.4 KB, 125 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Form Smeargle.png‎ (4.9 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Mandiball.png‎ (4.5 KB, 116 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Mandimble.png‎ (5.7 KB, 96 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Iceras.png‎ (4.2 KB, 2 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Zerotops.png‎ (5.0 KB, 60 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Flarva.png‎ (4.4 KB, 62 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Flear.png‎ (4.5 KB, 62 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Maiaden.png‎ (2.7 KB, 56 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Form Ekans.png‎ (4.4 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Form Arbok.png‎ (5.5 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Nursaur.png‎ (5.7 KB, 6 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Mickle.png‎ (3.8 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    File Type: png Quartzer.png‎ (4.5 KB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:53 PM).
    rekman's Avatar
    rekman rekman is offline
       
      Join Date: Jan 2018
      Posts: 17
      I love it! The features are really creative and I must admit that you managed really well some issues like: Wild encounter traps (to substitute trainers in areas where they shouldn't be present,e.g. the inside of a volcano) , HMs particularity (I am really curious to see Bounce! That sounds like a great idea!) , Escape rope usage (some puzzles may block the player if managed bad by the player itself, and forcing the creator to test all the possible paths to delete those dead end is sometimes a waste of time) and Flutes for encounter rates instead of perma-present repels. I think that this game has a lot of potential if you manage well those features you mentioned in the post. Just a thing: don't ruin the game with average graphics ahaha I am really curious to see the development of those ideas and some screenshots! The latters hype the people and help creating a solid fanbase, so I suggest you to work a bit on them to give to viewers of the post a more vivid idea of your concept :)
      Good luck and keep working on this game!
      __________________
      Pokemon Winter memories ~ Developing..
      ________________________
      Defining trainers' EV through formula: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=414192
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:26 AM).
      looneyman1's Avatar
      looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
      The Psycho Pokemon
         
        Join Date: Sep 2013
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 831
        what would make this truly epic is if you were to make a boat load of fakemon based directly off of prehistoric animals aside the standard fossil pokemon we usually see. Tyrantrum will of course be amust as would aerodactyl and cranidos and bastiodon along with archeops but there should also be perhaps a smilodon (sabertooth cat) pokemon, stegosaurs, and so forth. Many pokemon are already prehistoric in appearance as it is, from MEganium who resembles Brachiosaurus, Lapras who looks like a plesiosaur, ect.

        It would be interesting to have a variation of alolan forms for the fossil pokemon we typically know of. What I mean is that while scientists knew dinosaurs should have had feathers in common live restoration artworks for many years, the concept only recently caught on in media (in part due to how difficult it is to model feathers), plus the pokemon anime stated that aerodactyl as we know it according to recent findings in that universe show that aerodactyl when it was alive actually resembled it's mega form a lot more. Basically I could see the prehistoric pokemon in this game taking on a "more realistic" form based on what they would have actually looked like in the pokemon world's ancient past. Imagine like Archeops with a six inch killing claw on each foot and a more muscular build which makes it slightly less speedy but a lot sturdier thus it would lack the Weak Hearted ability to name an example. Another concept that came to mind is for Kabutops he could have jagged arm blades and perhaps a scorpion tail as Kabutops has a lot of characteristics in common with eurypterids (sea scorpions).

        Also different versions of tyrantrum would be cool, each a different species but share a common evolution. Heres a reference based on what I mean

        https://i.pinimg.com/originals/73/ed/24/73ed24b33f9697d12f9a966df701ba3d.jpg
        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:09 PM).
        ASpider's Avatar
        ASpider ASpider is online now
        Amber Dev
           
          Join Date: Sep 2018
          Location: Home
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Serious
          Posts: 14
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by rekman View Post
          I love it! The features are really creative and I must admit that you managed really well some issues like: Wild encounter traps (to substitute trainers in areas where they shouldn't be present,e.g. the inside of a volcano) , HMs particularity (I am really curious to see Bounce! That sounds like a great idea!) , Escape rope usage (some puzzles may block the player if managed bad by the player itself, and forcing the creator to test all the possible paths to delete those dead end is sometimes a waste of time) and Flutes for encounter rates instead of perma-present repels. I think that this game has a lot of potential if you manage well those features you mentioned in the post.
          Thanks a lot. This gives me a lot of confidence in my ideas. I hope I can do them justice when implementing them.

          Quote:
          Just a thing: don't ruin the game with average graphics ahaha I am really curious to see the development of those ideas and some screenshots! The latters hype the people and help creating a solid fanbase, so I suggest you to work a bit on them to give to viewers of the post a more vivid idea of your concept :)
          Good luck and keep working on this game!
          Well, I'll see if I can get help with the graphics department. If I am going to do most things myself, I'll have to settle for something average.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
          what would make this truly epic is if you were to make a boat load of fakemon based directly off of prehistoric animals aside the standard fossil pokemon we usually see. Tyrantrum will of course be amust as would aerodactyl and cranidos and bastiodon along with archeops but there should also be perhaps a smilodon (sabertooth cat) pokemon, stegosaurs, and so forth. Many pokemon are already prehistoric in appearance as it is, from MEganium who resembles Brachiosaurus, Lapras who looks like a plesiosaur, ect.
          Yeah, I am giving a preference to Pokemon based on dinosaurs, so Lapras is definitely in. As is Goodra, Helioptile, Yanma, etc. And here is a list of all fakemon that are being included.

          Also, the OP has been updated with two pokemon based on the Cynognathus. Hope you like it.

          Spoiler:

          Rodirt and Grodent are Pokemon from the mainland based on the Naked Mole Rat and are often used for experiments. But in this new land, Grodent has taken on a form more like a Lystrosaurus, and a new evolution the Gronarch has been unlocked.
          Iceras and Zerotops are Ice and Ice/Steel Pokemon based on the theory that many small Ceratopsids had spikes on their backs like a Porcupine.
          Flear and Inserno are Bug/Fire Pokemon based on the giant fleas, Pseudopulex (and lava lamps to a lesser extent).
          Cynite, Cynocte, and Cynoster are Normal and Normal/Dark Pokemon based on the Cynognathus. They are characterized for their distant attitudes and strong jaws.
          Cheaky and Rolyzard are Normal/Dragon Pokemon based on the belief that some small hervivores like Psitaccosaurus could have had Cheeks to chew their food.
          Ptelazaur and Pterasol are Fire/Flying Pterosaur with mouths that use sunlight to emit heat beams like some kind of laser gun.
          Hailcyon and Stalacnyctos are Ice/Flying Nyctosaurids that come hunt at night and crash on their opponents with their Icicle beaks.
          Baleer, Brawlaur are small Fighting type pokemon based on the Balaur, and they evolve into the Fighting/Fire Flaraur and Fighting/Ground Tremaur depending on the type of power they wish to invue into their kicks.
          Generaptor and Dynamichus are Electric and Electric/Dragon Pokemon based on the Deinoychus.
          Mandiball and Mandimble are Fire/Dark Pokemon based on the Carnotaurus, although some might see them more as balls with legs and horns.
          Auricoatl is thought to be a divergent line of Aerodactyle that has abandoned the skies to fish as a Steel/Fighting pokemon. It is based on the Quetzalcoatl.
          Spinow and Spinocier are Ice/Poison pokemon that fish in dangerous water with a powerful Freeze-Dry.
          Wintret and Wintrompet are Normal/Ice Parasaurolophus who use their Amplifier ability to emit powerful Soundwaves that confuse their foes.
          Iguardian and Nursaur are kind Normal/Fire Iguanodon/Maiasaurs that take care of wounded Pokemon.
          Hoardler and Defalgarto on the other hand are Dark/Dragon Pokemon that prefer to steal food and treasures from other Pokemon.
          Halluxeni, Halluxenos, Optabinia, Optabicle are Sea Pokemon with some bizarre abilities.
          Fearther and Feazaur are Ghost Pokemon with the Illusion ability based on small theropods who might have used feathers to pretend to be much bigger than they are.
          Styke and Caustyx are Steel/Dark Pokemon based on the idea that some Ceratopsids like the Styracosaurus could have been omnivorous. They will eat any Pokemon that attacks them and fails to defeat them.
          Sailamand and Soaramand are Water/Flying salamanders based on the Diplocaulus.
          Anquirass, Anqolossus, Brimspike and Brimskiver are Steel/Ground and Poison/Ground pokemon based on the Anquilosaur and Stegosaur respectively.
          Swimber and Ambuzz are Electric/Rock Pokemon based on mosquitoes trapped in Amber.
          Arkeples is an Electric/Dragon Plesiosaur thought to be related to Lapras.
          Therctis and Zeropod are Ice/Dragon Pokemon based on the idea that some dinosaurs could have adapted to the cold and turned into penguin-like predators without having to go through the bird steps.
          Ophtys and Icthypno are Dragon and Psychic/Dragon Pokemon with enormous eyes based on the Ichtyosaur.
          Lizail and Bazailisk are Fire/Grass Pokemon based on the Dimetrodon.
          Sealdier and Seavalier are Water/Steel Pokemon based on the devonian Placoderms.
          Oasaur and Oascythe are Grass/Steel Pokemon based on the hervivorous theropod Therizinosaurus.
          Abyssaur and Crebysse are Dragon/Rock Pokemon based on the Pliosaur. They grow coral on their backs for camouflage.
          Spreye and Heyeze are Ice/Psychic Pokemon based on the Troodon, although you can barely see their bodies with all the Haze they create.
          Wharl and Whirloon are Water/Dark Pokemon based on the Mortuneria, although with a more Whale-ish reimagining.

          I've also thought about adding:
          Poltlon and Titalon, as Rock/Fighting Pokemon based on the Terrorbirds.
          Armoid and Armound, as Normal/Steel Pokemon based on the Glyptodont.
          Algidon, Arctidon and Aurodon, as Rock/Ice Pokemon based on the Smilodon.
          The only reason they aren't in is that they don't fit the storyline 100%.

          Quote:
          It would be interesting to have a variation of alolan forms for the fossil pokemon we typically know of. What I mean is that while scientists knew dinosaurs should have had feathers in common live restoration artworks for many years, the concept only recently caught on in media (in part due to how difficult it is to model feathers),
          Yeah. Most fossils are returning in new forms. I think maybe Ommanyte and Aerodactyle might return as is in the current design document.
          Can't promise that they'll all have feathers, but I think I'll have all theropods in the game have some feathers.

          Quote:
          plus the pokemon anime stated that aerodactyl as we know it according to recent findings in that universe show that aerodactyl when it was alive actually resembled it's mega form a lot more.
          I had no idea. I'll se what I can do.

          Quote:
          Basically I could see the prehistoric pokemon in this game taking on a "more realistic" form based on what they would have actually looked like in the pokemon world's ancient past. Imagine like Archeops with a six inch killing claw on each foot and a more muscular build which makes it slightly less speedy but a lot sturdier thus it would lack the Weak Hearted ability to name an example.
          I was taking a more "The New Dinosaurs" approach, where they are as they would be if they continued to evolved separately in this island (as an excuse to give them new elements)

          Quote:
          Another concept that came to mind is for Kabutops he could have jagged arm blades and perhaps a scorpion tail as Kabutops has a lot of characteristics in common with eurypterids (sea scorpions).
          I was thinking about a Bug/Water Kabuto with Giant Eyes based on the Thylacocephala, but maybe.

          Quote:
          Also different versions of tyrantrum would be cool, each a different species but share a common evolution. Heres a reference based on what I mean
          I love Pokemon with multiplee evolutions, so I'll definitely have some Pokemon with multiple evolutions in the island. But I was planning about a Tuatara. I would have gone with the Spino for the "multiple choice evolution", but someone in Deviantart had already done that with a Stegosaurus and I thought I could be accused of ripping it off.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:06 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by looneyman1.
          looneyman1's Avatar
          looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
          The Psycho Pokemon
             
            Join Date: Sep 2013
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 831
            im glad I was at least able to touch on this anyway, I only use the tyrantrum example due to how tyrannosaurs date back all the way to the mid Jurassic.

            Also the starter choices are oddly perfect for this.


            Bulbasaur's line are possibly descendants of therapsids due to being reptilian pokemon but with mammalian ears and leathery skin in addition to differentiating teeth.

            Snivy's line mirrors the evolutionary path that snakes had through the Mesozoic where certain lizards lost their legs to become modern snakes. Heck the Servine stage in particular mirrors the appearance of a species from the late cretaceous in particular and Serperior reminds me of Titanoboa.

            Totodile is obvious since crocodiles date back prior to dinosaurs and are their closest living relatives besides birds.

            tepig is interesting since I honestly am not aware of any notable prehistoric pigs. Entelodon and others like it are more closely related to whales than pigs, but both are in the order arctiodactyla which have had countless variations in the Cenozoic so its perfectly understandable to use tepig in this.

            Chimchar is after all a chimp, humans of the pokemon universe are very closely related to these guys plus primate forerunners go back a very long way.

            Mudkip being a mudskipper is an example of evolution repeating itself as mudskippers are very similar to a prehistoric fish called Tiktaalik which had limb-like front fins and a frog-like head. Tiktaalik is also one of the earliest fish to land animal transitions as well.

            Considering your plans to introduce feral forms for the final evolutions of these lines, I wanted to touch on this because I found the starter choices to be perfect for this game. I cant wait to try this out since Bulbasaur as my avatar implies is often my starter of choice whenever available.
            Reply With Quote
              #6    
            Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:54 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by ASpider.
            ASpider's Avatar
            ASpider ASpider is online now
            Amber Dev
               
              Join Date: Sep 2018
              Location: Home
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Serious
              Posts: 14
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
              im glad I was at least able to touch on this anyway, I only use the tyrantrum example due to how tyrannosaurs date back all the way to the mid Jurassic.

              Also the starter choices are oddly perfect for this.


              Bulbasaur's line are possibly descendants of therapsids due to being reptilian pokemon but with mammalian ears and leathery skin in addition to differentiating teeth.

              Snivy's line mirrors the evolutionary path that snakes had through the Mesozoic where certain lizards lost their legs to become modern snakes. Heck the Servine stage in particular mirrors the appearance of a species from the late cretaceous in particular and Serperior reminds me of Titanoboa.

              Totodile is obvious since crocodiles date back prior to dinosaurs and are their closest living relatives besides birds.

              tepig is interesting since I honestly am not aware of any notable prehistoric pigs. Entelodon and others like it are more closely related to whales than pigs, but both are in the order arctiodactyla which have had countless variations in the Cenozoic so its perfectly understandable to use tepig in this.

              Chimchar is after all a chimp, humans of the pokemon universe are very closely related to these guys plus primate forerunners go back a very long way.

              Mudkip being a mudskipper is an example of evolution repeating itself as mudskippers are very similar to a prehistoric fish called Tiktaalik which had limb-like front fins and a frog-like head. Tiktaalik is also one of the earliest fish to land animal transitions as well.

              Considering your plans to introduce feral forms for the final evolutions of these lines, I wanted to touch on this because I found the starter choices to be perfect for this game. I cant wait to try this out since Bulbasaur as my avatar implies is often my starter of choice whenever available.
              Thanks, yeah. I felt these were the more appropriate choices. Except maybe for Chikorita, who I am not only using as a Starter because I wanted a Grass Pokemon that was fast in order to make a more distinctive choice when paired with Bulbasaur in the same set.

              I was indeed thinking about going for a Fire/Ground Entelodon with Tepig. It is partly a bit of a personal whim since I wanted the final evolution to be quadrupedal when I first saw Tepig and was a bit disappointed by Emboar being another Fire/Fighting.
              Chimchar I was thinking about evolving into a Noctartus Tenebrosus. Playing up the "Infern" part of Infernape and making him part Dark-type.

              I was also considering to give Bulbasaur and Mudkip's lines some feral forms, with Ivysaur and Venusaur growing Dragon Blood trees on their backs and being Grass/Dragon. It works to some extent because I was thinking about basing the island on Socotra. Mudkip's dorsal fin could be exaggerated a bit like in Weber's mudskipper and he could also gain some elements from the Platyhystrix to become a Water/Poison, Water/Rock or Water/Ice type. How would you feel about this? Should these two have "Feral forms" as well?
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #7    
              Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:55 PM).
              looneyman1's Avatar
              looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
              The Psycho Pokemon
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2013
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Jolly
                Posts: 831
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ASpider View Post
                Thanks, yeah. I felt these were the more appropriate choices. Except maybe for Chikorita, who I am not only using as a Starter because I wanted a Grass Pokemon that was fast in order to make a more distinctive choice when paired with Bulbasaur in the same set.

                I was indeed thinking about going for a Fire/Ground Entelodon with Tepig. It is partly a bit of a personal whim since I wanted the final evolution to be quadrupedal when I first saw Tepig and was a bit disappointed by Emboar being another Fire/Fighting.
                Chimchar I was thinking about evolving into a Noctartus Tenebrosus. Playing up the "Infern" part of Infernape and making him part Dark-type.

                I was also considering to give Bulbasaur and Mudkip's lines some feral forms, with Ivysaur and Venusaur growing Dragon Blood trees on their backs and being Grass/Dragon. It works to some extent because I was thinking about basing the island on Socotra. Mudkip's dorsal fin could be exaggerated a bit like in Weber's mudskipper and he could also gain some elements from the Platyhystrix to become a Water/Poison, Water/Rock or Water/Ice type. How would you feel about this? Should these two have "Feral forms" as well?
                A dragon typing for venusaur would be cool, since a number of synapsids and therapsids look very dragonlike, especially the gorgonopsids in particular.

                I personally like the standard ground/water typing or Swampert due to the defensive aspect it brings (its only weakness being grass), but a water and poison option sounds like the most attractive option of the ideas you propose due to the fact it helps put fairy types on check ultimately. A venomous typing for a feral swampert sounds cool with that in mind. Theres already a lot of water/ice types anyway and a fair amount of rock/water types as well. Plus many aquatic animals tend to be venomous so it makes sense.
                Reply With Quote
                  #8    
                Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:39 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by looneyman1.
                looneyman1's Avatar
                looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
                The Psycho Pokemon
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2013
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 831
                  also I can understand not adding chikorta based on what you're saying, besides he official games have tropius and amaura/aurorus for sauropods as it is. Though I could see an ancestral fakemon of the chikorita line that would be a totally different type. Still its your call on what actually makes the cut.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #9    
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:16 AM).
                  ASpider's Avatar
                  ASpider ASpider is online now
                  Amber Dev
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2018
                    Location: Home
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Serious
                    Posts: 14
                    Oh. Chikorita, will be in the game. As a Grass/Rock "armored sauropod" (didn't choose any in particular). You just won't be able to get her as a starter, as I said, because she is a bit too much like Venusaur stat-wise. Grass/Electric Treecko (since it is thought that Gecko's stick to walls with electromagnetic attraction) and Fire/Dragon Torchic (as a prehistoric, toothed bird) will also be catchable in the wild.
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #10    
                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:45 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by looneyman1.
                    looneyman1's Avatar
                    looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
                    The Psycho Pokemon
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2013
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Jolly
                      Posts: 831
                      ooh I see. An armored sauropod, so like saltosaurus then, that's pretty cool. And interesting change for Blaziken. How is totodile going to be upon evolution to feraligatr? Many like to make Feraligatr a dark/water type in games with alternate typings, especially since Bite and Crunch are a feraligatr's specialty.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #11    
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (5:01 AM).
                      ASpider's Avatar
                      ASpider ASpider is online now
                      Amber Dev
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2018
                        Location: Home
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Serious
                        Posts: 14
                        Feraligatr is going to be based on the Desmatosuchus, as well as some of the slim "running Crocodiles" like the Kaprosuchus. He is going to be the "fast" one compared to Swampert. Probably having some 103 base speed or so. He is going to be either Water/Ice or Water/Steel (leaning heavily towards Ice), with the Desmatosuchus' spikes on his sides being Icicles or metal spikes.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #12    
                        Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:44 PM).
                        looneyman1's Avatar
                        looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
                        The Psycho Pokemon
                           
                          Join Date: Sep 2013
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Jolly
                          Posts: 831
                          that is pretty cool actually, pardon the pun. That works better for using Ice Punch and Ice Fang in the end, giving those moves a needed boost.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #13    
                          Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:29 AM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by ASpider.
                          ASpider's Avatar
                          ASpider ASpider is online now
                          Amber Dev
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2018
                            Location: Home
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Serious
                            Posts: 14
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
                            that is pretty cool actually, pardon the pun. That works better for using Ice Punch and Ice Fang in the end, giving those moves a needed boost.
                            Thank you.

                            Also, I made these alternate Ivysaur and Venusaur forms.



                            I based it on this theoretical ancestor for flowers: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/world-s-first-flower-may-have-looked
                            Because I felt the 001 Pokemon being the "first flower" made sense.
                            Also, I decided that he'd be Grass/Fairy instead of Grass/Dragon because the white flower didn't feel dragon-ish. And this flower reminded me of the Lotus, which is tied to buddhism. Which is why I gave him large ears and the "Urna".

                            The issue is that he no longer feels too "Primal". How do you feel about this Venusaur form?

                            Also, here is Mandiball. Based on the Carnotaurus. The first dino Pokemon I am publishing. It is a Fire/Dark Pokemon with Limber and Strong Jaw. Probably Speed Boost as Dream Ability. I tried to put feathers on it, but most images I see of him online don't have feathers, or have feathers on its head (which would confuse a bit with the horns) or put feathers on its tiny arms, which I have removed. Any idea about where to put them if I should?
                            __________________
                            Reply With Quote
                              #14    
                            Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:48 AM).
                            looneyman1's Avatar
                            looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
                            The Psycho Pokemon
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2013
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Jolly
                              Posts: 831
                              Hmm, the white-ish flower does make a fit for a fairy type I agree. A bit of a shame as I was looking forward to the dragon variant, but we could consider how it would later become a poison pokemon in modern times as like a "fallen angel" scenario so maybe it can work. Giving the new venusaur the ability to learn Dazzling Gleam or whatever other fairy attack of your choice can be a replacement for Sludge Bomb in its movepool given this. Plus being a fairy type I can see it gaining abilities it normally wouldn't have access to, as a umber of fairies end up learning psychic moves to contend with the poison type most of the time. It might just work, even if its a bit odd so I would keep it unless something better comes to mind later.

                              The carnotaurus pokemon is pretty well done, I especially like how it has no arms, referencing how diminuitive the arms are on Abelisauroids most of the time.The speed boost ability also makes sense as Carnotaurus had much longer legs than most large therepods had, giving it a fair amount of speed as well. Not to mention due to how its jaws worked, it could make very quick bites which allowed it's long and slender teeth to act like slashing claws almost, making up for how short it's snout was so balancing the carnotaurus pokemon around speed makes a lot of sense. Because of how tiny a carnotaurus' arms are, if you wanted t add feathers I would suggest using them on the evolved form instead of the pre-evolved stage. Though perhaps using feathers on the tail could work. Sort of like how they designed Archen with a single feather on the tip of it's tail, resembling a pteradactylus' tail spade.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #15    
                              Old 2 Weeks Ago (7:10 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by ASpider.
                              ASpider's Avatar
                              ASpider ASpider is online now
                              Amber Dev
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2018
                                Location: Home
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Serious
                                Posts: 14
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
                                Hmm, the white-ish flower does make a fit for a fairy type I agree. A bit of a shame as I was looking forward to the dragon variant, but we could consider how it would later become a poison pokemon in modern times as like a "fallen angel" scenario so maybe it can work. Giving the new venusaur the ability to learn Dazzling Gleam or whatever other fairy attack of your choice can be a replacement for Sludge Bomb in its movepool given this. Plus being a fairy type I can see it gaining abilities it normally wouldn't have access to, as a umber of fairies end up learning psychic moves to contend with the poison type most of the time. It might just work, even if its a bit odd so I would keep it unless something better comes to mind later.
                                Yeah. Venusaur will definitely have an altered movepool to match the new form. And the players will be extra encouraged to keep Bulbasaur longer than usual because he'd have access to new Poison moves that Ivysaur and Venusaur wouldn't learn through level-up in their fairy forms.

                                Quote:
                                The carnotaurus pokemon is pretty well done, I especially like how it has no arms, referencing how diminuitive the arms are on Abelisauroids most of the time.The speed boost ability also makes sense as Carnotaurus had much longer legs than most large therepods had, giving it a fair amount of speed as well. Not to mention due to how its jaws worked, it could make very quick bites which allowed it's long and slender teeth to act like slashing claws almost, making up for how short it's snout was so balancing the carnotaurus pokemon around speed makes a lot of sense. Because of how tiny a carnotaurus' arms are, if you wanted t add feathers I would suggest using them on the evolved form instead of the pre-evolved stage. Though perhaps using feathers on the tail could work. Sort of like how they designed Archen with a single feather on the tip of it's tail, resembling a pteradactylus' tail spade.
                                Yeah. That is exactly what I was going for with the lack of arms. Ever since I saw a "Carnotaurus from the front" picture, I had the idea of drawing a Pokemon that was just legs, head and tail. And... I think I have the problem of making my fakemon just bigger version of the same fakemon. Don't I?
                                Mandimble just gets bigger and gains a feather-goatee as he evolves? I think he looks a bit creepy, but also funny.

                                I kinda lost the shape of the Carnotaurus head when I made it that large, though. He looks a bit more like someone from the Alleosauriodea family now, doesn't he? Should I try fixing that? I love that goofy smile he ended up with, though.
                                Abilities are the same as the pre-evo, and he is still Fire/Dark, but I should hype up that four new biting moves will be included in the game and Mandimble learns 3 of them!
                                Originally Mandible was a Pokemon with 100 base attack and 123 base speed in the design doc, but I am thinking he'll have just 103 speed and 120 attack because how absurdly dangerous and clumsy he ended up looking.

                                Also two more fakemon. Iceras and Zeratops:


                                Iceras is an Ice Pokemon that can be obtained pretty early. As a bulky Ice pokemon, you'd think he'd be bad. And well, he isn't that good stat-wise. But he has access to the Sturdy+Endeavor+Ice Shard combo through level up! So savvy trainers will be able to use him to get past some otherwise dangerous encounters. He is based on the Protoceratops, and specifically, on the idea that many of the dinos in this group could have been quilled like a hedgehog. His abilities are Sturdy and Iron Barbs. Not sure about the Dream Ability. Probably Filter.



                                Zeratops is his evolution. Is it too obvious that it is Nidorina edited-up? It is too me, but I made the Pokemon, so I can't stop thinking that the editing was a bit lazy (like, I bet you wouldn't think that Mandimble started out as a Sharpedo when you looked at it). He gains the Steel typing (Steel spikes=Steel type, amirite Lucario?). With the Ice/Steel type combo, he covers two of the weaknesses of the Sturdy/Sash+Endeavor+Priority strategy (Weather and Poison). He probably evolves in the early 20s (22-25), so he could be a very powerful user of that strategy.
                                __________________
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #16    
                                Old 2 Weeks Ago (11:50 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by looneyman1.
                                looneyman1's Avatar
                                looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
                                The Psycho Pokemon
                                   
                                  Join Date: Sep 2013
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Jolly
                                  Posts: 831
                                  the goofy looking image for Mandible actually works. When I first got a good look at carnotaurus I almost broke out laughing due to how unusual its appearance was.

                                  as for the ceratopsids you showcased, I honestly believe that it will be hard to make unique body forms for some pokemon on account of the body types known from the fossil record. Early ceratopsids were quasi-quadrupeds (microceratus and pisctottasaurus especially) but I suppose using Nidorina as a base is better than going the easy route with Lairon or Bastiodon in the end. But to help make the thing look more distinct you should add a horn or two on it. I say this because not just because of this being a ceratopsid, but it looks sorta like a styracosaurus a little due tot he points coming off the frill. Perhaps make the spines on the frill a bit longer (they can still be made of ice as glacial ice is extremely hard. Think of Alolan sandslash's quills) but on the nose there should be a long, solid steel horn. That alone with the spikes on its back would help to reinforce its steel typing a bit more. Perhaps even give it pieces of armor plating resembling "eye spots" on the frill. I say this because many ceratopsids had openings in their frills (triceratops being one of few who's frill was solid bone) so the armored plating on the frill would help make those weak spots sturdier.

                                  I already have an idea of a move for the zeratops line based on what you're going for as Spikey Shield woud be perfect even though that move Is a grass attack,as it would pair nicely with iron barbs. Sure when it activates iron barbs wont be triggered, but it would keep zeratops from fainting that turn from a direct attack and potentially would knock out the attacker in turn. Then using a Ice Shard attack the following turn on the right oppoenent could lead to a OHKO
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #17    
                                  Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:58 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by ASpider.
                                  ASpider's Avatar
                                  ASpider ASpider is online now
                                  Amber Dev
                                     
                                    Join Date: Sep 2018
                                    Location: Home
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Serious
                                    Posts: 14
                                    Thanks again, looneyman1. I am happy you liked them.
                                    I didn't listen to you completely, but I did make some modifications to those Pokemon, though. I shrunk Zerotops frill a bit because I have a different Pokemon as the Styracosaurus, and I want that one to be "spiky frill guy". I also put a couple metal plates in there for good measure, but they don't reinforce the frill. Hope it makes it feel more Steel.


                                    And here are Flarva and Flear. I tried to make Flarva into a Cocoon covered in dust because that is something really iconic about Flea cocoons. They just look like balls of dust. But it just looked ugly in practice, IMO. So they stayed as two stages with the base being a larva. Not sure if I should remove flarva's eye. Flea larva are completely blind.


                                    And yeah, both are meant to collect heat to power-up their Lava Lamp backs.

                                    Do they look fine? I had a lot of trouble making sure they didn't look like Spiders, Fireflies or Ants.

                                    Maiaid, a Norma/Fire Pokemon based on the Maiasaurus. It takes a similar role to Chansey/Audino in being the "healer" pokemon of the region. I am not quite content withthe way it turned out, though. I'll fix it in the future if I can't.

                                    The idea was to make it so the angrier it got, the more "red" it became. A bit like a thermometer. But that has no gameplay significance and it still looks a bit too much like a Charmander. I gave it huge hands because it has Double Slap and other slapping moves in its level-up. Its got more Attack than Sp. Attack, so it will probably rely on punches for its offensive moves, instead of special attacks too.

                                    Also, I think the Pokedex is mostly ready (maybe there will be some changes in the future, but not sure). Here is the tentative Pokedex for Ancient Amber with stats and comments on the inspiration/reason of being for the new Pokemon and forms.
                                    https://pastebin.com/VD35K5be
                                    __________________
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #18    
                                    Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:09 AM).
                                    looneyman1's Avatar
                                    looneyman1 looneyman1 is offline
                                    The Psycho Pokemon
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2013
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Jolly
                                      Posts: 831
                                      the Zerotops looks great now so that works out.

                                      The flarva line's cocoon stage could be a lump of volcanic rock if it helps. And if the first stage is supposed to not have eyes, I suppose it makes sense to remove them. Zubat is completely blind too until it evolves after all.

                                      Finally Maiaid definitely could use work based on what you're saying. I like the idea of it being a healer, but I can see it being skillful with sound-based moves as a means of attack as well. I say this as hadrosaurs would have been very vocal and there is a debunked hypothesis where it was thought they could rupture eardrums by shouting at enemies, the ones with crests having said sound be amplified by the trumpet-like series of air sacs in the horns to make themselves even louder. Then again this could be useful for a different hadrosaurid since maiasaura lacked a crest.

                                      The design of Maiaid could do with some work as you stated though, a more pronounced duckbill could help toward that. Though the dainty snout does help make it cute and cuddly.
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #19    
                                      Old 8 Hours Ago (8:28 AM).
                                      ASpider's Avatar
                                      ASpider ASpider is online now
                                      Amber Dev
                                         
                                        Join Date: Sep 2018
                                        Location: Home
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Serious
                                        Posts: 14
                                        Sorry for not updating for a while. I was quite disappointed with the way Nursaur and Quartzer ended up looking, so I ended up not wanting to draw for a while. That said, I think Mickle looks alright and Maiaid is still cute. So I decided that maybe I'll find an artist to redraw these guys later or ask somebody in deviantart to let me use their designs (since there are a lot of cute Sand dollar Pokemon in DA).

                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by looneyman1 View Post
                                        the Zerotops looks great now so that works out.

                                        The flarva line's cocoon stage could be a lump of volcanic rock if it helps. And if the first stage is supposed to not have eyes, I suppose it makes sense to remove them. Zubat is completely blind too until it evolves after all.
                                        Thanks, I'll remove the eye, but I think it is probably better to just give Flarva moves that represents it "rolling in dirt" instead of adding a middle stage. It is a bit hard to make room for the middle stage now that I filled the Pokedex to some extent.

                                        Quote:
                                        Finally Maiaid definitely could use work based on what you're saying. I like the idea of it being a healer, but I can see it being skillful with sound-based moves as a means of attack as well. I say this as hadrosaurs would have been very vocal and there is a debunked hypothesis where it was thought they could rupture eardrums by shouting at enemies, the ones with crests having said sound be amplified by the trumpet-like series of air sacs in the horns to make themselves even louder. Then again this could be useful for a different hadrosaurid since maiasaura lacked a crest.
                                        There are three Hadrosaurid lines in the game:
                                        Maiasaur the healer as the Normal/Fire Nursaur.
                                        Parasaurolophus the sound user as the Normal/Ice Wintrom. He has "Amplifier" as an ability precisely because of the theory you are talking about.
                                        And Iguanodon as the territorial Normal/Fighting Eaguardian (originally was going to be Steel/Fighting, but I needed a Normal/Fighting Pokemon to have all type combinations in the game...).
                                        Although I guess I could give all three of them Boomburst as an Egg move (Wintrom gets it as level up). I think that'd be alright (although Eaguardian and Nursaur have low Sp. Attack).



                                        Quote:
                                        The design of Maiaid could do with some work as you stated though, a more pronounced duckbill could help toward that. Though the dainty snout does help make it cute and cuddly.
                                        To be honest, I like it far more now than when I first made it (maybe because Nursaur turned out kinda bad).

                                        Also two more designs for early game mons:
                                        Mickle and Quartzer are early game Ground-type mons with the Storm Drain and Water Absorb ability. Their stats are again not that great, but Water Absorb Ground is a good type and they get Rapid Spin.

                                        I won't post Quartzer because he looks all around terrible (he looked fun in my head. I just wasn't able to translate him well into a sprite).

                                        Ekans and Arbok in these region are based on Sea Snakes. Particularly, the yellow-lipped Sea Krait. I read that some Sea Snakes have photosensors in their tails to better hide in coral, which is why I decided to move the hood to their tails. I think it looks good. Their heads are meant to mimic a swimmer with goggles on. Not sure if that is understandable in their design. They are Water/Dragon and I min-maxed them quite a bit, so they are like slower Kingdras with bad Sp. Attack, stat-wise. I don't think that is bad for an early-game mon. They are slower than regular Arbok because Sea Kraits lack some of the scales that Snakes need to move quickly on land, but they have Swift Swim. I think that is very flavourful.





                                        Also good news, I have found a friend who has volunteered to help developing the game. So at last there is a point for opening a Discord. Come visit us here and you'll find some more files regarding the game, like the Excel version of the Pokedex:
                                        https://discord.gg/YM6bvb

                                        Idea-guys are very welcome in the channel, since the game is still so early in development.
                                        __________________
                                        Reply With Quote
                                        Reply

                                        Quick Reply

                                        Join the conversation!

                                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                        Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                        Thread Tools

                                        Posting Rules
                                        You may not post new threads
                                        You may not post replies
                                        You may not post attachments
                                        You may not edit your posts

                                        BB code is On
                                        Smilies are On
                                        [IMG] code is On
                                        HTML code is Off

                                        Forum Jump


                                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:59 PM.