• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lowkey, this Pokemon was pretty good!

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
We all know about the Gen V Pokemon who are strong and powerful, like Haxorus, Hydreigon, Zoroark, Krookodile and all of the legendaries. And there's been plenty of discussion about the Pokemon who do next to nothing.

But what about those in-between Pokemon. The Pokemon who make or break your team. The X-factor or unofficial MVP of the team. What about them?

In all of my playthroughs of BW and BW2, there are 4 Pokemon that have proven to be incredibly important to my team and I couldn't imagine beating the game without them.

Mandibuzz: Straight up, this was the only reason I beat BW the first time through. Without it, i couldn't get past two elite 4 members. Beat all of them, N and Ghetsis first time through with it. It may not be offensively powerful but it can take hits and dish out status and stab Foul Play/Dark Pulse is good enough for in-game teams.

Stoutland: In the first, and only, challenge I've done, I took a team of 3 mons through Unova. Without Stoutland's intimidate ability and strong Stab Normal type attacks, there's no way I could've beat the game, even with Scrafty, destroying 75% of the game.

Leavanny: In my recent BW2 playthrough, this little plant bug thing was incredibly helpful in providing supporting offense behind my main attackers. It's resistance to fighting was also incredibly helpful since my team lacked any sort of resistance to that type otherwise.

Lastly, Golduck was also on that BW2 and ended up being my highest levelled Pokemon. I know this isn't a Unova Pokemon but I had to mention it because of its abilty to take on Dragon and Flying types with ease thanks to Ice Beam as well as provide support elsewhere when needed. Had never use this Pokemon but it earned another fan after this playthrough

So how about you guys? What Pokemon could you not imagine beating the games without?

Looking forward to the responses!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmmmm. Swoobat would have to be my #1 (at least in one of my playthroughs). It's not rated that highly however it certainly packs a punch. In-game Psychic is always going to be one of the best types (Flying is usually useful too) which makes it perfect. I can't remember what playthrough I used it in but it was certainly worth it!

I'll think of some others later :)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Hmmmm. Swoobat would have to be my #1 (at least in one of my playthroughs). It's not rated that highly however it certainly packs a punch. In-game Psychic is always going to be one of the best types (Flying is usually useful too) which makes it perfect. I can't remember what playthrough I used it in but it was certainly worth it!

I'll think of some others later :)

Swoobat is definitely an underrated mon. I haven't tried it in-game but it can really put in work when it comes to competitive if played smart. One of these times I'll give it a go but I tend to stray from flying types in Unova because its pretty easy to travel by foot in the region so Flying types are less important compared to previous regions. Not to mention, Unova doesn't stack up to Gen 3 and 4 when it comes to flying types impo so i get put off by that a tad bit

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
Archeops

Even it useless ability and (According Cheren) Bunch of weakness, Archeops always be the main party.With Atk, S.Atk, and Spe over 100 make He (I always get Male Archeops) great offense Pokemon.With his speed and his bunch physical attack in various type, he covers my biggest weakness in my team.Without him, I never beat Ghetsis' Hydreigon (dat critical hit Stone Edge) and beat the game.

Fun Fact: I realized Archeops' total base stats is 567 and yet Archeops' national number Pokedex is 567

Years
Leavanny: In my recent BW2 playthrough, this little plant bug thing was incredibly helpful in providing supporting offense behind my main attackers. It's resistance to fighting was also incredibly helpful since my team lacked any sort of resistance to that type otherwise.
It's funny you mention Leavanny because on the playthrough I'm doing now of White 2 I decided to roll with a Sewaddle I caught on route 19 in the beginning of the game. Partly because she was just really cute, and partly because I've never used Leavanny before. I didn't remember what her evolutions looked like or when they would happen either so being surprised by the evolutions was a cool experience. Also, there's just something about going through the game with the underdog Pokemon you caught at the first route!

Back