• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Elite 4 Discussion

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Whoa, Iris? Shock! I had no idea whatsoever. I thought it might be Drayden, but Iris...?! I actually like it, you know that?

I am also agape at that battle screen. ITS SO PWETTY!!! *shot* And Iris's outfit is...interesting. Veeeerry interesting. I don't not like it. It's just so...Pink....and Fluffy...kidding, I really like it.

Edit- Well, this is weird. I just realized that her pose is almost identical to Lance's in HGSS. Anyone else notice that?

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
YES! Salamence is in Iris' Challenge Team! Now the BW2 Unova League is complete. XD

Wow....Alder has nothing on her now. No...BW1's Elite Four has nothing on this one now. XD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
YES! Salamence is in Iris' Challenge Team! Now the BW2 Unova League is complete. XD

Wow....Alder has nothing on her now.
Yes, she's awesome. Not even Clair, Drayden, or Lance have anything on her.

As for the Pose, perhaps it's the dragon trainer champ pose, or she was trained by Lance himself xD

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I wasn't expecting Iris to be Champion, but I'm glad Alder got replaced. The way Champion is changed is totally the same like in Emerald.

Years
I was hugely taken aback when I heard Iris was going to be the Champion. I knew that Drayden was going to be a Gym Leader, but I'd assumed that just meant he'd be in one and she'd be in the other. This is certainly an interesting twist, haha :D
As for the teams of the Elite 4, I'm very excited to battle them. They really have been beefed up with the changes/addition of past-generation Pokemon. It's safe to say that this Pokemon League is significantly more awesome than that of Black/White (and that was pretty darn awesome). In the Challenge Mode I see the Dark Elite four member has a Tyranitar. YES PLEASE! :D

I'm a little unclear on what the Challenge Mode section actually means. If there's an option to battle them at higher levels (and it's just like.. an option), that's pretty cool. :D

Years
There's still some confusion on the modes, hopefully it's cleared up in the next few days.

Their challenge teams are pretty beast. I can see myself losing several times before I beat it...

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I would be hesitant to to make comprasions of characters between Anime and the Games. If you want too look at it this way Blue whose counter part is Gary would have won Indigo Conference. Than Ash whose counter part is Red would have beat Gary if he faced him in Silver Conference which he did just not for the championship as it went to Jon Dickson. Both game counter parts are Champs and former champs yet neither have been in the anime. Which means just cause Iris is Champ here doesn't mean it will correlate over.

I am actually glad too see Iris as opposed to Alder cause he was in dire need of a restructuring of his team. Still wondering why Lapras and Aggron though. They don't really strike me as dragonesque.

Years
Aggron seems pretty dragonesque imo. Lapras is based on the Lock ness Monster a dinosaur...and we all know how in Pokemon Dinosaurs based Pokemon are treated as dragons. Plus the balance out against those pesky ice types.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
I'd like to say that Iris being champion didn't surprise me in the least. And that my initial reaction was "but of course Iris is the champion". After all, Iris is an incredibly talented prodigy. And a high ranking Gym Leader in the original White.

But I was so pleasantly surprised when it happened. Even if it was very plausible, it didn't seem like what would happen. Pokemon has only had one female Champion before, and to be entirely honest, I wasn't even expecting the Champion for this game to be a former Gym Leader from the last game at all.

Plus being a super fan of Iris, people tend to say about life "don't get your hopes up" about things. And tend to assume against things I'd like to see happen as a fan because I figure as a fan with biases, it's not gonna happen most likely and confirmation bias is a thing.

But it happened, it really happened. It's all I could have fantasized. When I first discovered it, I was literally giddy for several hours. And her theme sounded like a celebration, which was perfect because it was a celebration for me.

Not to mention that if you count challenge mode, she is the hardest Champion to face yet. She's just amazing and impressive and everything I could have hoped for in general. Her background is the most epic I've ever seen in a Pokemon game, moving stars in the skies, and moving dark clouds below. It reminds me of fighting Queen Zeal in Chrono Trigger. In reality she's got an amazing backdrop that isn't much different from her amazing in battle area. Dragon Statue, constellation wall, red carpet, ivory floor, staircase. And an outfit that is regal and has reminded everyone of things from Japanese shrine maidens, that of a princess, to a queen, to that of a magical girl. And then, much like her theme in general, she gives this cute but fierce feline motion she makes. As if she was some kind of lion or tiger.

Iris is really as epic as ever. I think that many people mistakenly associate cuteness with weakness. Iris is both as cute and as epic and bada--(Edit: I just realized about the rules. Are we allowed to say that word?) as can be. In fact, I think by being cute, a character, shown with Iris, are actually more bada--(rules?) than if they weren't. Iris comes off with her cuteness as "resilience", and power and determination just emanates off of her in a way that could never be pulled off by someone who isn't cute. It's like you're battling the high princess of the stars and dragons. She honestly seems like she could be some kind of goddess there. She hardly even seems like a human there, more like a goddess with her overwhelming energy and theme.

She's a powerful figure. But then again I'm a big fan. I feel like I just got the biggest fanservice a fan can get with this. Thank you, Gamefreak. You are awesome for doing this.

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I was also caught off guard with Iris being Champion. It should have been easy to see once Drayden was announced as the leader for the 7th gym, but the thought never crossed my mind. All I thought was, "Is Iris still in the game?" and never even considered the thought that she was Champion. So, I guess it was a pleasant surprise for me.

Years
Wonder when she became champion.
She is quite a talented trainer being the 8th gym leader in White, though I originally expected her to be an E4 not the champion.

Wonder when she became champion.
She is quite a talented trainer being the 8th gym leader in White, though I originally expected her to be an E4 not the champion.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It actually kinda makes sense...

Other than Juniper - you had Alder with Cheren in B/W, while Iris was with Bianca, so she was doing a kinda champion-y thing by helping out Bianca back then like Alder gives advice to those younger. That plus her role in the anime kinda makes sense to her being the champion although I'd not have cared if she had another role - she'll still be annoying to face lmao.

Years
Is anybody wondering what kind of story that Iris herself will tell? Her rise to the Champion will be... interesting. And her role in the games...

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
I'm happy the Elite Four stayed, and I'm also happy Alder left. I felt like he didn't deserve his title and he got it due to default. Iris seems like a cool champion and I love her battlefield. I was expecting Drayden, but I knew one of the Dragon trainers would get the title.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I do like that they all stayed. I'm a little upset that Shauntal no longer has her Jellicent, but she replaced it with Drifblim, which is a total bro, so I'm good. I'm happy that Alder is gone, too. I never really liked him as a part of the Pokemon League, just as a wise and strong trainer.
I do wish that they would have given a small change to the other teams, too. The only one to really change anything was Shauntal. Still, I love that they're all back. <3

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I agree with Jellicent about Alder. He fills a lot better role as a flaming haired Yoda than as Champion. I always thought he was kind of...weird. I mean, how can you do ninja moves when you're that chubby?

Back